Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Targeted 50-75-100k MR USA Platinum offers going around

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2013, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond

My ex, who I once had as an AU on my platinum card, just received a platinum colored envelope from AMEX today at my residence with the tagline on it of: " What would you do with 100,000 Membership Rewards Points? Apply for the Platinum Card today."

She's not my gf anymore, but if there are any points to be given out, I ought to get them for putting up with her for those 4 years.

But on a serious side, if you're in the mood for a good time to apply for a Platinum Card, this might just be the time. I'd open the offer envelope, but I don't want to incur the wrath of the postal service since it isn't addressed to me.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 8:41 pm

I got one today

100k with a $3,000 spend first year is NOT free costing $450.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 8:52 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by ekwang
My ex, who I once had as an AU on my platinum card, just received a platinum colored envelope from AMEX today at my residence with the tagline on it of: " What would you do with 100,000 Membership Rewards Points? Apply for the Platinum Card today."

She's not my gf anymore, but if there are any points to be given out, I ought to get them for putting up with her for those 4 years.

But on a serious side, if you're in the mood for a good time to apply for a Platinum Card, this might just be the time. I'd open the offer envelope, but I don't want to incur the wrath of the postal service since it isn't addressed to me.

For gosh sakes man, open the envelope!
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond
$3k in three months

Looks like you were right: She'd have to spend $3k in the first three months to get the 100,000 MR points.

If she were to be a FF like me, and could take advantage of Priority Pass, the $200 airline credit and reimbursement of Global Entry, I would think it'd be a good deal. If not, then perhaps no, if she can't take advantage if the benefits.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 8:59 am

Programs: Flying and sleeping
The Plat is tentatively on my list for next month, assuming a 100k offer is around.

I think a scan of the mailer is in order. Let's see if it's targeted specifically or not!
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:25 am

When these targeted mailers start popping up, does that usually indicate impending online offers?

Also, OP, opening another's mail I believe is a federal offence. As much as any of us would like to see if it is specifically targeted or not, I would err on the side of caution.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 9:41 pm

There are always 100k offers around, AMEX sends them out every month, maybe just not to you.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 9:02 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by ekwang
..... I'd open the offer envelope, but I don't want to incur the wrath of the postal service since it isn't addressed to me.
The postal service won't care as evidenced by two reports I made to them and the sheriff of mail stolen from my mailbox. In one case mail was found opened and strewn along the road along with several neighbors' mail, in the second $250 in presidential coins was either taken from my mailbox or never put in the mailbox. Their suggestion was to rent a PO Box. The mint replaced the coins

YMMV of course .
Old Apr 23, 2013, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Mrs. FindAWay recently received a 100k for $3k spend within 3 mos. Pers. Plat. targeted offer. However, it was addressed to her maiden last name (address, first name, etc. are all otherwise the same). Will it present any issues if she applies under her now-changed, married last name on-line? Or, is the RSVP number pre-linked to last name on the mailer?

I'm guessing she would be able to use the RSVP number over the phone (with sending in a copy of the marriage certificate if it really came to it); but, I'd rather her be able to apply on-line with screenshots for confirmations.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 9:44 pm

How can I get that?
Old Apr 27, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
New AMEX Plat 100k signup offer (non-business)

My mom was just targeted for a 100k bonus offer for the plat AMEX business card with a $10K spend in 3 months.

Last week, I got a personal AMEX platinum offer for 100k bonus with $3k spend in 3 months!! Here's my situation and questions....looking for some feedback:

--Have the Chase Sapphire Preferred and use it as my daily card. I spend only $1-2K per month.

--Have Nexus/Global Entry already, which expires this time in 2015. (Could I even use the $100 credit towards a renewal?)

--Always travel business class for int'l travel (mostly for work, or with miles). So the lounge access perk is so-so. That said, I fly Delta domestically out of DEN, and Admirals Club access could be nice, even though I time things so I'm at the gate for no more than 10 minutes before boarding.

--Because of the above point, not sure where I'd use the $200 credit, since you have to pick 1 airline. On DL, I get free bags and am usually upgraded, so never pay for checked bags, food, etc. I rarely if ever pay for changing a flight, and I don't believe the credit can be used to upgrade.

Bottom line is that even with the above "issues", obviously 100k points is worth the $450 this year. But I don't really like to churn and deal with all that hassle, and given my annual fee on the CSP card I also have, I could see myself spending a few thousand dollars in a few years on CC fees and only get the bonus once. Is this card considered a charge card and therefore would not impact my credit score if I cancel it next year?
Old Apr 27, 2013, 3:25 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
There is confusion:

Originally Posted by keloutwest
My mom was just targeted for a 100k bonus offer for the plat AMEX business card with a $10K spend in 3 months.
How is this related to the remainder of the post?

I fly Delta domestically out of DEN, and Admirals Club access could be nice,
You can only use the Admirals Club when flying AA, not when flying DL.

Is this card considered a charge card and therefore would not impact my credit score if I cancel it next year?
The Platinum Card is a charge card, but closing it may still affect your credit scores depending on your other American Express accounts and the age of your credit file.

It's easy to use the $200 airline fee reimbursement by (for example) purchasing gift cards on certain carriers. See, for example, these threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-aa-only.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-dl-only.html
Old Apr 27, 2013, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by mia
There is confusion:

How is this related to the remainder of the post?

I fly Delta domestically out of DEN, and Admirals Club access could be nice,
You can only use the Admirals Club when flying AA, not when flying DL.

Is this card considered a charge card and therefore would not impact my credit score if I cancel it next year?
The Platinum Card is a charge card, but closing it may still affect your credit scores depending on your other American Express accounts and the age of your credit file.

It's easy to use the $200 airline fee reimbursement by (for example) purchasing gift cards on certain carriers. See, for example, these threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-aa-only.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...s-dl-only.html
Good point about the $200. As for the Admiral's club, you CAN use it when flying DL since this plat Amex (w the included priority pass) gets you in regardless of the carrier you're flying.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 3:08 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
As for the Admiral's club, you CAN use it when flying DL since this plat Amex (w the included priority pass) gets you in regardless of the carrier you're flying.
Very few Admirals Club locations participate in Priority Pass. I do not see that DEN is one of them. Where do you see it listed?
Old Apr 28, 2013, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Very few Admirals Club locations participate in Priority Pass. I do not see that DEN is one of them. Where do you see it listed?
I apologize, Delta SkyClubs, Admiral's Clubs, US Airways Clubs, and Airspace Lounges are all part of the "Airport Club Access Program". Thus, having the platinum card in itself gains you access to all Admiral's Clubs, not the Priority Pass Select that comes with it.

Reference: https://www295.americanexpress.com/c..._c&benefitId=1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.