Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2018, 4:18 am

Credit certs from cancelled flights show up like gift certs, but with an expiry date. They can be deposited into other accounts to use up others companion fares
Old Jan 20, 2018, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by crimsona
Credit certs from cancelled flights show up like gift certs, but with an expiry date. They can be deposited into other accounts to use up others companion fares
Thank you. I'm not 100% certain that AS will allow me to pay for a buy one get one set of tickets using my wallet funds and the companion fare code together. I tried booking a dummy flight last night using the companion fare code, and the option to use "my wallet" as a source of payment for the tickets was not available. I'm would hate to pay for flights that will be cancelled and deposited into my wallet, only to find I can't use those funds to apply to my real set of tickets using the companion fare.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jenn0625
Thank you. I'm not 100% certain that AS will allow me to pay for a buy one get one set of tickets using my wallet funds and the companion fare code together. I tried booking a dummy flight last night using the companion fare code, and the option to use "my wallet" as a source of payment for the tickets was not available. I'm would hate to pay for flights that will be cancelled and deposited into my wallet, only to find I can't use those funds to apply to my real set of tickets using the companion fare.
I've never had a problem using mywallet funds to book companion certificates. We book companion certificate tickets exclusively, so have many data points. You may not be seeing mywallet funds as an option for payment because you don't have anything in your mywallet yet? If you're still not comfortable, test it by buying a $25 GC for yourself and deposit it into your wallet, then try a dummy booking again?
Jenn0625 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Jenn0625
Not really what you were asking, but ...

AS seems to charge the companion ticket fee and taxes separately when you book one of those companion fares, For example, I just booked OGG-SEA-OGG using a $99 companion cert code. I saw 2 charges pending on my Amex. One for the normal r/t fare for the first pax and the second one for around $146 for the $99 + taxes and fees for the companion ticket.

I'm thinking based on earlier reports (and hoping) that Amex just reimburses the $146 charge. Will update the thread with the results.

-David
Jenn0625 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat; WoH Exp; AS Gold; AA Plat
Originally Posted by Ripper3785
I've never had a problem using mywallet funds to book companion certificates. We book companion certificate tickets exclusively, so have many data points. You may not be seeing mywallet funds as an option for payment because you don't have anything in your mywallet yet? If you're still not comfortable, test it by buying a $25 GC for yourself and deposit it into your wallet, then try a dummy booking again?
Just to be clear, and as the wiki states, as off June 2017, GCs are no longer being reimbursed. If however, you were suggesting that a $25 GC be purchased so that OP has a +ve balance in his/her 'my wallet' without the possibility of the purchase being reimbursed by AmEx, then please ignore this post.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:03 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Are flights purchased on one of the "Flash Sales" (as is currently running today) treated any differently when cancelled? That is, if one buys a "flash sale" fare for a flight more than 60 days out, and then cancels (after more than 24 hours), does one still have the (recently popular) option to have the cost of the canceled ticket credited back to one's AS wallet?

I note that at the bottom of the Flash Sale page, buried in the T&Cs, I see this: These fares are nonrefundable

Should I not take that too literally?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Are flights purchased on one of the "Flash Sales" (as is currently running today) treated any differently when cancelled? That is, if one buys a "flash sale" fare for a flight more than 60 days out, and then cancels (after more than 24 hours), does one still have the (recently popular) option to have the cost of the canceled ticket credited back to one's AS wallet?

I note that at the bottom of the Flash Sale page, buried in the T&Cs, I see this: These fares are nonrefundable

Should I not take that too literally?
No difference.
nwflyboy likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:44 pm

Thanks. ^
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:14 am

I'll add my own data points to this thread.

Jan 20: Purchased a ticket (for several months out) for $55
Jan 20: Purchased a second ticket (for several months out) for $55
Jan 23: Both charges post to Amex PRG
Jan 24: Account shows two credits totaling $100

I also canceled both tickets and had the funds placed in My Wallet on the Alaska Airlines site, and I confirmed via the checkout page on a dummy booking that you can use both these funds and the companion pass in the same transaction.
nwflyboy, bizum, pcoll and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Purchased 2x $98.30 for a roundtrip between SEA and LAX in May. Plenty of those seats left and will report back once I get reimbursed.

Just to verify my understanding, I should wait until the charge is posted and get reimbursed by amex before refunding the ticket, correct?
Old Jan 27, 2018, 10:49 pm

Are you able to use MyWallet funds to pay for award flight fees?
Old Jan 29, 2018, 11:32 pm

Has anyone managed to get the fee to change from economy to "Premium Class" reimbursed?
Old Jan 31, 2018, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by edlyne0011
Are you able to use MyWallet funds to pay for award flight fees?
NO
Old Jan 31, 2018, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Not really what you were asking, but ...

AS seems to charge the companion ticket fee and taxes separately when you book one of those companion fares, For example, I just booked OGG-SEA-OGG using a $99 companion cert code. I saw 2 charges pending on my Amex. One for the normal r/t fare for the first pax and the second one for around $146 for the $99 + taxes and fees for the companion ticket.

I'm thinking based on earlier reports (and hoping) that Amex just reimburses the $146 charge. Will update the thread with the results.

-David

Did reimburse some small charges, did not reimburse $146 charge automatically. ($99 companion fare fee + taxes).

-David
Old Feb 1, 2018, 8:19 am

One minor but noteworthy bit about using funds in your AS "My Wallet" (those funds having been put there by canceling a ticket): the "expiration date" for using the credits in My Wallet are 1 year from the original purchase date of the (refunded) ticket. So, you need to "use" the funds (that is, purchase a new ticket or otherwise consume them) by that date, but you don't have to fly by that date.

If, for example, you purchased your original ticket on 1/1/2018, the funds would expire on/around 1/1/2019 (not sure exactly how AS counts the cutoff), so you would need to use the credits to book your replacement flight by 1/1/2019, but since AS loads flight inventory ~11 months ahead, on 1/1/2019 (or 12/31/2018 to be safer) you could book your flight for as far out as ~11/1/2019 (the last date that's bookable at the time). So, effectively you can actually make use of the wallet credits on a flight up to ~23 months beyond the original ticket purchase date. Or at least that's how I'm reading their language (having just gone through the process of canceling a ticket and depositing the credit in My Wallet). This can be useful if you do not have immediate plans that would allow you to re-use that credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.