Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 3, 20, 11:06 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Wiki Link
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 20, 18, 4:18 am
  #676  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: YVR to SEA
Posts: 2,381
Credit certs from cancelled flights show up like gift certs, but with an expiry date. They can be deposited into other accounts to use up others companion fares
crimsona is offline  
Old Jan 20, 18, 8:42 am
  #677  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 227
Originally Posted by crimsona View Post
Credit certs from cancelled flights show up like gift certs, but with an expiry date. They can be deposited into other accounts to use up others companion fares
Thank you. I'm not 100% certain that AS will allow me to pay for a buy one get one set of tickets using my wallet funds and the companion fare code together. I tried booking a dummy flight last night using the companion fare code, and the option to use "my wallet" as a source of payment for the tickets was not available. I'm would hate to pay for flights that will be cancelled and deposited into my wallet, only to find I can't use those funds to apply to my real set of tickets using the companion fare.
Jenn0625 is offline  
Old Jan 21, 18, 1:02 pm
  #678  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: HNL
Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Posts: 3,239
Originally Posted by Jenn0625 View Post
Thank you. I'm not 100% certain that AS will allow me to pay for a buy one get one set of tickets using my wallet funds and the companion fare code together. I tried booking a dummy flight last night using the companion fare code, and the option to use "my wallet" as a source of payment for the tickets was not available. I'm would hate to pay for flights that will be cancelled and deposited into my wallet, only to find I can't use those funds to apply to my real set of tickets using the companion fare.
I've never had a problem using mywallet funds to book companion certificates. We book companion certificate tickets exclusively, so have many data points. You may not be seeing mywallet funds as an option for payment because you don't have anything in your mywallet yet? If you're still not comfortable, test it by buying a $25 GC for yourself and deposit it into your wallet, then try a dummy booking again?
Jenn0625 likes this.
Ripper3785 is offline  
Old Jan 21, 18, 10:16 pm
  #679  
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Upcountry Maui, HI
Posts: 12,256
Originally Posted by Jenn0625 View Post
Thank you. I'm not 100% certain that AS will allow me to pay for a buy one get one set of tickets using my wallet funds and the companion fare code together. I tried booking a dummy flight last night using the companion fare code, and the option to use "my wallet" as a source of payment for the tickets was not available. I'm would hate to pay for flights that will be cancelled and deposited into my wallet, only to find I can't use those funds to apply to my real set of tickets using the companion fare.
Not really what you were asking, but ...

AS seems to charge the companion ticket fee and taxes separately when you book one of those companion fares, For example, I just booked OGG-SEA-OGG using a $99 companion cert code. I saw 2 charges pending on my Amex. One for the normal r/t fare for the first pax and the second one for around $146 for the $99 + taxes and fees for the companion ticket.

I'm thinking based on earlier reports (and hoping) that Amex just reimburses the $146 charge. Will update the thread with the results.

-David
Jenn0625 likes this.
LIH Prem is online now  
Old Jan 23, 18, 11:19 am
  #680  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SFO
Programs: Marriott Plat; AS Gold; AA Plat
Posts: 212
Originally Posted by Ripper3785 View Post
I've never had a problem using mywallet funds to book companion certificates. We book companion certificate tickets exclusively, so have many data points. You may not be seeing mywallet funds as an option for payment because you don't have anything in your mywallet yet? If you're still not comfortable, test it by buying a $25 GC for yourself and deposit it into your wallet, then try a dummy booking again?
Just to be clear, and as the wiki states, as off June 2017, GCs are no longer being reimbursed. If however, you were suggesting that a $25 GC be purchased so that OP has a +ve balance in his/her 'my wallet' without the possibility of the purchase being reimbursed by AmEx, then please ignore this post.
arfaczar is offline  
Old Jan 23, 18, 8:03 pm
  #681  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Programs: Northwest, United
Posts: 2,950
Are flights purchased on one of the "Flash Sales" (as is currently running today) treated any differently when cancelled? That is, if one buys a "flash sale" fare for a flight more than 60 days out, and then cancels (after more than 24 hours), does one still have the (recently popular) option to have the cost of the canceled ticket credited back to one's AS wallet?

I note that at the bottom of the Flash Sale page, buried in the T&Cs, I see this: These fares are nonrefundable

Should I not take that too literally?
nwflyboy is offline  
Old Jan 23, 18, 9:28 pm
  #682  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ANC, MRI
Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 41,797
Originally Posted by nwflyboy View Post
Are flights purchased on one of the "Flash Sales" (as is currently running today) treated any differently when cancelled? That is, if one buys a "flash sale" fare for a flight more than 60 days out, and then cancels (after more than 24 hours), does one still have the (recently popular) option to have the cost of the canceled ticket credited back to one's AS wallet?

I note that at the bottom of the Flash Sale page, buried in the T&Cs, I see this: These fares are nonrefundable

Should I not take that too literally?
No difference.
nwflyboy likes this.
beckoa is offline  
Old Jan 23, 18, 9:44 pm
  #683  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Programs: Northwest, United
Posts: 2,950
Thanks. ^
nwflyboy is offline  
Old Jan 24, 18, 11:14 am
  #684  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: SEA
Posts: 132
I'll add my own data points to this thread.

Jan 20: Purchased a ticket (for several months out) for $55
Jan 20: Purchased a second ticket (for several months out) for $55
Jan 23: Both charges post to Amex PRG
Jan 24: Account shows two credits totaling $100

I also canceled both tickets and had the funds placed in My Wallet on the Alaska Airlines site, and I confirmed via the checkout page on a dummy booking that you can use both these funds and the companion pass in the same transaction.
nwflyboy, bizum, pcoll and 1 others like this.
weaseltown is offline  
Old Jan 26, 18, 7:44 pm
  #685  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: SEA/ORD
Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Posts: 735
Purchased 2x $98.30 for a roundtrip between SEA and LAX in May. Plenty of those seats left and will report back once I get reimbursed.

Just to verify my understanding, I should wait until the charge is posted and get reimbursed by amex before refunding the ticket, correct?
Explorer789 is offline  
Old Jan 27, 18, 10:49 pm
  #686  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1
Are you able to use MyWallet funds to pay for award flight fees?
edlyne0011 is offline  
Old Jan 29, 18, 11:32 pm
  #687  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 16
Has anyone managed to get the fee to change from economy to "Premium Class" reimbursed?
gonzo7 is offline  
Old Jan 31, 18, 2:42 pm
  #688  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Coast, Best Coast
Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Posts: 15,863
Originally Posted by edlyne0011 View Post
Are you able to use MyWallet funds to pay for award flight fees?
NO
PV_Premier is offline  
Old Jan 31, 18, 7:24 pm
  #689  
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Upcountry Maui, HI
Posts: 12,256
Originally Posted by LIH Prem View Post
Not really what you were asking, but ...

AS seems to charge the companion ticket fee and taxes separately when you book one of those companion fares, For example, I just booked OGG-SEA-OGG using a $99 companion cert code. I saw 2 charges pending on my Amex. One for the normal r/t fare for the first pax and the second one for around $146 for the $99 + taxes and fees for the companion ticket.

I'm thinking based on earlier reports (and hoping) that Amex just reimburses the $146 charge. Will update the thread with the results.

-David

Did reimburse some small charges, did not reimburse $146 charge automatically. ($99 companion fare fee + taxes).

-David
LIH Prem is online now  
Old Feb 1, 18, 8:19 am
  #690  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Programs: Northwest, United
Posts: 2,950
One minor but noteworthy bit about using funds in your AS "My Wallet" (those funds having been put there by canceling a ticket): the "expiration date" for using the credits in My Wallet are 1 year from the original purchase date of the (refunded) ticket. So, you need to "use" the funds (that is, purchase a new ticket or otherwise consume them) by that date, but you don't have to fly by that date.

If, for example, you purchased your original ticket on 1/1/2018, the funds would expire on/around 1/1/2019 (not sure exactly how AS counts the cutoff), so you would need to use the credits to book your replacement flight by 1/1/2019, but since AS loads flight inventory ~11 months ahead, on 1/1/2019 (or 12/31/2018 to be safer) you could book your flight for as far out as ~11/1/2019 (the last date that's bookable at the time). So, effectively you can actually make use of the wallet credits on a flight up to ~23 months beyond the original ticket purchase date. Or at least that's how I'm reading their language (having just gone through the process of canceling a ticket and depositing the credit in My Wallet). This can be useful if you do not have immediate plans that would allow you to re-use that credit.
nwflyboy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: