Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2019, 12:31 am

Just tried this.
Hilton Aspire:

Dec 16th - Booked a flight for $78, ugpraded seat for $44
Dec 20th, just got credit for both.

Not canceling as i actually need the flight.
sdsearch and pointscrusher like this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 2:16 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Sygnal
Just tried this.
Hilton Aspire:

Dec 16th - Booked a flight for $78, ugpraded seat for $44
Dec 20th, just got credit for both.

Not canceling as i actually need the flight.
so a mixed success for folks? debating whether or not to change my plat credit for 2020
Old Dec 22, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by Ripper3785
Yes this worked in the past. Often a cancellation around the 22-23 hour mark would both trigger a credit for the charge and the airline fee credit.

Does this still work or has anyone been successful in the last 1-2 months?
Old Dec 22, 2019, 8:04 pm

I currently have economy seats booked but have an option to purchase Premium Class seats for $109/person. Are those considered seat selection purchases and eligible for reimbursement? Thanks.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by pointscrusher
i created an account just to thank you for this. as a 75k with two plats, two golds and an aspire b/w myself and p2, i'm very concerned about the dwindling options to get any value out of the credits. been watching this thread like a hawk since aug-ish hoping a workaround would pop up for those like myself.
As Gold or 75k, when calling AS to tie flight to elite account and subsequently canceling the flight, won't AS credit both the PC upgrade AND the flight itself back to the wallet?

For instance, I just booked a trans-con flight for $119. After purchasing, I purchased PC for $109. After 24 hours and calling in, is the goal to get both the $119 and $109 by tying elite account # to reservation such that both $119 and $109 goes to account wallet, and weeks later recouping the $109 PC upgrade with AMEX while essentially "eating" the initial $119 paid towards the flight itself?

Ultimately, for 1 given flight, the PC is reimbursed by AMEX as an incidental expense but the flight itself is paid for as a form of future wallet credit?

Last edited by juncakes; Dec 22, 2019 at 10:42 pm
Old Dec 24, 2019, 1:44 pm

correct on all counts. unless you're fortunate enough to get credit for amex for the flight ticket itself (assuming you have enough credit on the respective card), one would "eat" the flight cost in form of wallet funds
Old Dec 25, 2019, 3:46 pm

correct on all counts. unless you're fortunate enough to get credit for amex for the flight ticket itself (assuming you have enough credit on the respective card), one would "eat" the flight cost in form of wallet funds
Thank you. An Alaska CSR mentioned that cancelling after 24 hours would mean the PC upgrade goes back to card, and fare towards itinerary will be credited to Alaska wallet. Is this correct? This means the AMEX transaction that remains is the fare, not the seat selection. Unsure if CSR @ Amex would approve a manual credit?
Old Dec 26, 2019, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by rccsd
I currently have economy seats booked but have an option to purchase Premium Class seats for $109/person. Are those considered seat selection purchases and eligible for reimbursement? Thanks.
I can't say definitively, but I just did the same thing for a flight in January. Two passengers on one reservation. I bought the $109 Premium Class seats for both of us. The charge posted as two $109 purchases described as "Flight on January 9". Each listed the Passenger Name, a ticket number (that doesn't match the e-ticket number for my flight), and it shows me getting 7x Hilton Honors Points for Airfare. Clearly, AMEX sees it as a flight; however, when I go to Benefits>$250 Airline Fee Credit, it shows $32.00 Credit Available through Dec 2019. This is the only applicable purchase I've made all year. $250 - ($109x2) = $32. So... I'm optimistic that it'll all work out automatically. If it matters, my class didn't change after buying the "Premium Class" seats: Main (R). IMHO, it's just marketing that Alaska Airlines calls it an "upgrade"... it's not the intent of the Airline Fee Credit program to exclude this type of incidental premium seat fee.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by uclachef
I can't say definitively, but I just did the same thing for a flight in January. Two passengers on one reservation. I bought the $109 Premium Class seats for both of us. The charge posted as two $109 purchases described as "Flight on January 9". Each listed the Passenger Name, a ticket number (that doesn't match the e-ticket number for my flight), and it shows me getting 7x Hilton Honors Points for Airfare. Clearly, AMEX sees it as a flight; however, when I go to Benefits>$250 Airline Fee Credit, it shows $32.00 Credit Available through Dec 2019. This is the only applicable purchase I've made all year. $250 - ($109x2) = $32. So... I'm optimistic that it'll all work out automatically. If it matters, my class didn't change after buying the "Premium Class" seats: Main (R). IMHO, it's just marketing that Alaska Airlines calls it an "upgrade"... it's not the intent of the Airline Fee Credit program to exclude this type of incidental premium seat fee.
I am thinking of using Alaska even though the workarounds haven't been consistent since at worst I can seats selected for free on a trip I am definitely going on. The alternative is use it on SW for $100 that I am going on but then stuck with $150 in vouchers that I don't know if I am going to use but expire 1 year after purchase. What do you guys think?
Old Dec 27, 2019, 2:17 pm

DP for Sub $39 charge

Bofa Premium Rewards card ($100)
Dec 24: Bought Saver ticket for $38.30 then cancelled ticket an hour later
Dec 24: Bought Main ticket for $68.30 then cancelled ticket an hour later
Dec 27: Meter has moved by $38.30 but awaiting credit to show up

If anyone wants to try this, AS is having a sale today and there are $38.30 Saver fares between LAX-LAS, and LAX-SJC. Just make sure you cancel your Saver ticket within 24 hours
Old Dec 27, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold...
Waited Long Enough for Reimbursement... So I Called

Hilton Aspire: Airline credit timeline...
  1. Dec. 8, 2019: Purchased 2 AS seat upgrades. Separate transactions... $69/$109
  2. Dec. 11, 2019: Fees posted
  3. Dec. 27, 2019: Still NO reimbursement
  4. Dec. 27, 2019: Called customer service number on the back of the Aspire card. Told the representative that I made two separate purchases, which she could see. Explained that they were purchased on my selected airline (AS) for my annual credit. She asked, "what were the purchases for"? I said "seat upgrades". She needed to input the reasoning to request the "manual credit". The rep. said I should see the credit within 5 business days.

Interestingly, I never had issues with the airline credit with AS using my "AMEX Plat". For the last 3 years I've always purchased and cancelled the One Way tickets around the 23 hr mark after purchase. However, with the Hilton Aspire card I have had the same results. This fall I was stuck with my One Way purchases because a reimbursement NEVER posted. So, this time around I decided to call Aspire customer service after waiting over 2 weeks. I'll update the my post/thread on whether the credits post to my account.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 5:53 pm

Talking

Originally Posted by VIT-B
Hilton Aspire: Airline credit timeline...
  1. Dec. 8, 2019: Purchased 2 AS seat upgrades. Separate transactions... $69/$109
  2. Dec. 11, 2019: Fees posted
  3. Dec. 27, 2019: Still NO reimbursement
  4. Dec. 27, 2019: Called customer service number on the back of the Aspire card. Told the representative that I made two separate purchases, which she could see. Explained that they were purchased on my selected airline (AS) for my annual credit. She asked, "what were the purchases for"? I said "seat upgrades". She needed to input the reasoning to request the "manual credit". The rep. said I should see the credit within 5 business days.

Interestingly, I never had issues with the airline credit with AS using my "AMEX Plat". For the last 3 years I've always purchased and cancelled the One Way tickets around the 23 hr mark after purchase. However, with the Hilton Aspire card I have had the same results. This fall I was stuck with my One Way purchases because a reimbursement NEVER posted. So, this time around I decided to call Aspire customer service after waiting over 2 weeks. I'll update the my post/thread on whether the credits post to my account.
Seems like the ticket purchase workaround has been curtailed based on DPs. At least I know I can seat select to Main Cabin Plus and can get the manual credit applied if all else fails. I am bummed out that they don't serve food on Main Cabin Plus, it is tough to drink too much with the kids.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by dayfut
Bofa Premium Rewards card ($100)
Dec 24: Bought Saver ticket for $38.30 then cancelled ticket an hour later
Dec 24: Bought Main ticket for $68.30 then cancelled ticket an hour later
Dec 27: Meter has moved by $38.30 but awaiting credit to show up

If anyone wants to try this, AS is having a sale today and there are $38.30 Saver fares between LAX-LAS, and LAX-SJC. Just make sure you cancel your Saver ticket within 24 hours
Do you mean the gold card or wrong thread?
Old Dec 27, 2019, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by juncakes
Thank you. An Alaska CSR mentioned that cancelling after 24 hours would mean the PC upgrade goes back to card, and fare towards itinerary will be credited to Alaska wallet. Is this correct? This means the AMEX transaction that remains is the fare, not the seat selection. Unsure if CSR @ Amex would approve a manual credit?
in my case, everything refunded to wallet. still waiting for credit to post for seat selection charges from the 20th, however.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 1:54 pm

in my case, everything refunded to wallet. still waiting for credit to post for seat selection charges from the 20th, however.
Good to know. Another rep has mentioned that PC cancellation credit can go back to wallet. I'm booking 3 flights and 3 PCs across $200 provided by Plat and $100 provided by Gold. I should have $600 or so in the wallet when all is said and done!

For others deploying this strategy: there are $104 Main Cabin fares from LAX - BWI in February & March.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.