Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex PERSONAL platinum 100k mr point sign-up bonus

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2011, 11:00 am

Hmm very interesting. I also used that link and got the 25,000 bonus points after meeting the spend last week. I guess I'll wait another month or so and see if anything else posts before contacting Amex to ask for the rest of the points. I would love another 50k MR points, but really I only expect the 25k that I feel I'm owed.

The only reason I'm a little annoyed is that I really want those points on CO, which has to be done before 9/30. Oh well, I'm sure I can find another use for them.

EDIT: So it seems HookemHorns, crimson12 and fierydragon have gotten 75k or 100k total MR points off of the 50k link. 25k initially, and then a further 50k at some later point. Can anyone else confirm this? Has anyone just gotten the 25k with nothing further? I am talking about automatic points posted, not getting a "bump" which seems impossible now.

Last edited by drbobguy; Sep 22, 2011 at 12:28 pm
Old Sep 22, 2011, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by drbobguy
EDIT: So it seems HookemHorns, crimson12 and fierydragon have gotten 75k or 100k total MR points off of the 50k link. 25k initially, and then a further 50k at some later point. Can anyone else confirm this? Has anyone just gotten the 25k with nothing further? I am talking about automatic points posted, not getting a "bump" which seems impossible now.

To be clear, I think two things are at play:

1) Amex's system, which sees both the 25k and 50k bonuses (in some cases) for some reason. This is how some of us got 25+50=75k.

2) Amex's willingness to bump you to 100k even if you weren't targeted. I think I probably got in on the tail end of that, and from recent reports it seems like Amex is closing that window.

But just because (2) is over doesn't mean (1) is over... and who knows: you, like my wife, could get arbitrarily lucky and wind up with 125k!
Old Sep 22, 2011, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by crimson12
But just because (2) is over doesn't mean (1) is over... and who knows: you, like my wife, could get arbitrarily lucky and wind up with 125k!
One can only hope. I'll update here if I see any new MR deposits. I'd love to hear from more people to see more data points on this. Also if anyone only got 25k and contacted Amex MR for the remaining 25k successfully.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 1:53 pm

One can only hope. I'll update here if I see any new MR deposits. I'd love to hear from more people to see more data points on this. Also if anyone only got 25k and contacted Amex MR for the remaining 25k successfully.
Yes, see this thread (post 229) where someone just got the points today for this.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post17155771
Old Sep 22, 2011, 2:12 pm

Do you have a screenshot of the 50,000 application? That might help.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by pajuancho
Yesterday applied for the Amex Platinum personal from the amex web site, no email invite, no mail invite. I got approve.personal. Any suggestion on the bonus ID that i should mention keeping in mind that i got no invite and i just applied?

Thanks!!
Hi pajuancho - I want to apply Amex Plat myself and wondering if you got the 100K bonus points.. If so, what code did you use? thanks.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by dukers
Hi pajuancho - I want to apply Amex Plat myself and wondering if you got the 100K bonus points.. If so, what code did you use? thanks.
No way to know if the points posted;. He just applied a week ago. Even if the 100k goes through, it's going to be a while. I know people had some success with 5748 in the past but Amex may be shutting that one down...
Old Sep 23, 2011, 1:16 pm

No way to know if the points posted;. He just applied a week ago. Even if the 100k goes through, it's going to be a while. I know people had some success with 5748 in the past but Amex may be shutting that one down...
Thank you Crimson12 - just applied and approved. Couldn't do it from the website/link.. Had to call member services. It seems all the promo code has to be applied once I get the card and call MR. Amex doesn't make it straight forward. :|
Old Sep 23, 2011, 1:23 pm

Thank you Crimson12 - just applied and approved. Couldn't do it from the website/link.. Had to call member services. It seems all the promo code has to be applied once I get the card and call MR. Amex doesn't make it straight forward. :|
I see you're a new poster and you may not be following this thread closely. It now seems very unlikely you will be able to get a bonus code for 100k points. AMEX is no longer "bumping" people up regularly. It's maybe not impossible, but very, very unlikely you will get a sympathetic CSR at this point.

Even those who were promised the bump weeks ago are having problems now getting the promise honored. New applicants have little hope of getting the bonus.

Something to keep in mind. You can always cancel the card immediately to avoid the $450 annual fee if you feel 25,000 bonus points isn't enough to justify having the card.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA, US, DL, AMEX Plat, AMEX Centurion, SPG Gold
thanks for sharing, but don't you think they might retroactively yank the "additional" points beyond 100k. especially when they read your post

^

Well now, all the points have posted and are no longer "pending", so I hopefully won't jinx myself.

1) Wife and I applied for the Plat in late July. Called in and had 5748 noted on the account after receiving the card; they said we should each get the 100k.

2) Met the spend quickly; called to get the points; no luck. They said we'd have to wait 6-8 weeks.

3) First statement showed 25k bonus points. Shortly thereafter, 50k additional points posted.

4) Wife called and said that she had signed up with the 100k offer and was wondering why the full 100k hadn't posted. Guy says, "Yes, I see; I'll just add 50,000 points." And he does! Somehow she winds up with 125k!

5) I call a couple of times to get the points; no luck. They say I have to wait until my second statement closes. When it finally does, I call again, and they add in 25k.

So between the two of us we wound up with 225k bonus points. But YM most definitely MV.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 1:57 pm

I see you're a new poster and you may not be following this thread closely. It now seems very unlikely you will be able to get a bonus code for 100k points. AMEX is no longer "bumping" people up regularly. It's maybe not impossible, but very, very unlikely you will get a sympathetic CSR at this point.

Even those who were promised the bump weeks ago are having problems now getting the promise honored. New applicants have little hope of getting the bonus.

Something to keep in mind. You can always cancel the card immediately to avoid the $450 annual fee if you feel 25,000 bonus points isn't enough to justify having the card.
Thank you drbobguy for the kind explanations. I felt Amex Plat is a good value if we use it right. The bonus points is icing on the cake. Of course, we all want to maximize our icing.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by nirlep
thanks for sharing, but don't you think they might retroactively yank the "additional" points beyond 100k. especially when they read your post
Well, what a CSR told me (in a slightly different context) was, "Well, we won't look a gift horse in the mouth." So, fingers crossed!

Thank you drbobguy for the kind explanations. I felt Amex Plat is a good value if we use it right. The bonus points is icing on the cake. Of course, we all want to maximize our icing.
I agree. In fact this is why I probably won't cancel the plat after the year. The $200 incidentals reimbursement makes the annual fee effectively $250. If you travel even a few times a year, then the club access is probably worth ~$50 per time. So that gets the effective annual fee down around $100, which is comparable to other cards, e.g., Chase Sapphire.

The question is, should the Plat be your everyday card? Here I'm not as convinced; I think the PRG is a better go to card.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 2:29 pm

Ummm so I'm a little worried. I applied for the Plat card about 3-4 months ago and got them to notate my account for the 100k signup bonus and also a few other bonuses, the Delta promo that gives 5000 points per $100 spent on a ticket. They said they notated my account and to give a call back on September 8th for the 100k pts and September 17th for the Delta points. I called today and they said the MR department aren't allowed to issue points anymore and they have to forward it to a higher department to 'review' the case before the points gets awarded. Anyone else have this issue recently?
Old Sep 28, 2011, 2:47 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by noogin
Anyone else have this issue recently?
Please discuss in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...y-notated.html
Old Sep 28, 2011, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by noogin
Ummm so I'm a little worried. I applied for the Plat card about 3-4 months ago and got them to notate my account for the 100k signup bonus and also a few other bonuses, the Delta promo that gives 5000 points per $100 spent on a ticket. They said they notated my account and to give a call back on September 8th for the 100k pts and September 17th for the Delta points. I called today and they said the MR department aren't allowed to issue points anymore and they have to forward it to a higher department to 'review' the case before the points gets awarded. Anyone else have this issue recently?
Call corporate # instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.