Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex PERSONAL platinum 100k mr point sign-up bonus

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2011, 5:24 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Jake Gittes
I can't believe so many people are cancelling their plat cards over this.
Would not say it's solely over this. I thought it was marginal value at best given that I already have a Premier Rewards card and thus already have many of the benefits including MR, car rental insurance, buyer's assurance, etc. The platinum provides (now) priority pass membership (not sure if I will still keep that for a year if I cancel), SPG gold which both times I have stayed has proved to be of little benefit, other car rental membership upgrades (also apparently sticking for a while after cancellation), $200 airline fee, and no forex fees. Well, the $200 airline fee knocks the annual fee down to $250 but it's close to see the other benefits being worth that much, for me. I've found that FHR is of also marginal value given that it often costs more than other promotions yet the upgrades are so hit and miss.

Given all that I was ready to keep the card at least through the year but this experience has soured me. I expect Amex to treat their customers equally, if not up front then at least when the customers ask for equal treatment. Telling me I can't get the bonus because I already own an Amex card was the worst, since I already pay double for a lot of the benefits. At least if they are going to say that they should offer some kind of discount bundle for owning multiple cards. And then the customer service rep simply saying that they can't do anything because someone had already notated it in my account is just silly.

Anyway, though it may be unimportant to Amex, this just motivated me to earn some extra bonus miles with other credit card offers, with at least one being a Chase card without a forex fee for which I'll use abroad. I'll continue to use my Premier Rewards Plus Gold for most daily purchases but will strongly consider switching to Discover or a rewards Visa when the purchase type provides me 3% or more cash back/bonus.
Old May 13, 2011, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by frubio2012
Is there an AMEX offer that waives the first year annual fee?
Not for the Platinum card. Gold card has a two year free offer on another thread.
Old May 14, 2011, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by jperiod
Are you sure this brings up the 50K offer? I applied under a screen like that last week (with a 50K ad in the screen prior, but no note on the actual application page), but when I activated my card last night, they said I was signed up under a 25K offer.
Interesting how the page has two different bonus IDs, 4986 and 4880
Old May 14, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: USAirways Gold, Delta Gold, HHonors Gold, MR Gold, *wood Platinum
Are you sure this brings up the 50K offer? I applied under a screen like that last week (with a 50K ad in the screen prior, but no note on the actual application page), but when I activated my card last night, they said I was signed up under a 25K offer.
I already have the card, so I guess I can't be sure. When I bring the link up in a fresh browser it is an application page that clearly states 50k bonus after $1k spend. Amex's pages seem to change a lot based on cookies and all so you may see something different.
Old May 14, 2011, 11:13 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by joejoe2
...two different bonus IDs, 4986 and 4880
It really is worthwhile reading the terms of an American Express offer:

4986 is the application bonus.

4880 is the Pay with Points redemption bonus, available to all Platinum Card holders.
Old May 14, 2011, 1:48 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
What about a current 100k offer? Are there any that are valid now? My sister now wants to sign up, but these two offers discussed here are expired.

It seems a little strange that we find out about these 100k offer codes months after they must have been released. If we here on FT didn't hear about them when they were first put out, who in the world did?
Old May 14, 2011, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by ddallas
Not for the Platinum card. Gold card has a two year free offer on another thread.
Not true. Many banks have relationships with American Express and offer the platinum card with first year fee waived and some times up to 100,000 bonus points. You do need $500,000 - $1,000,000+ in the bank though. Ameriprise is 500k, Goldman Sachs 1m, etc.
Old May 14, 2011, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott PLT, Sheraton Gold
Man that was easy

I gotta say I do love this forum. I hadn't been on here in a couple of weeks but saw this thread. I had signed up for the 50K. I called Amex MR & started into the narrative about not knowing about a better deal and before I had even mentioned 100K the rep said, "yes sir, you are looking for the 100K offer right?"

Total phone call time less than 3 minutes for 50K more points. Happy Day!
Old May 14, 2011, 11:22 pm

Programs: DL GM
Another happy FTer here, called the other day and mentioned the code 5748 and received the additional 50k. Thanks for everyone posting this!
Old May 14, 2011, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by bman3241
Another happy FTer here, called the other day and mentioned the code 5748 and received the additional 50k. Thanks for everyone posting this!
can you please clarify? Did they post the 50k immediately? Did you already make your 1k spend and receive your initial 50k?
Old May 15, 2011, 6:36 am

Location: MHT, DL DM & now KM!/ formerNW Plat /HH Diamond/SPG plat
Originally Posted by kar don
can you please clarify? Did they post the 50k immediately? Did you already make your 1k spend and receive your initial 50k?
I got my card in Feb. Was able to 'borrow" the 50K miles for the Delta promotion immediately. I did the 1K spend within 2 weeks, but it took 8 weeks for the 50K MR points to actually make it into my account (and that took a phone call). The second 50K MR points from a couple days ago posted within 5 minutes of hanging up the phone.
Old May 15, 2011, 8:00 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by gunpig
I gotta say I do love this forum. I hadn't been on here in a couple of weeks but saw this thread. I had signed up for the 50K. I called Amex MR & started into the narrative about not knowing about a better deal and before I had even mentioned 100K the rep said, "yes sir, you are looking for the 100K offer right?"

Total phone call time less than 3 minutes for 50K more points. Happy Day!
I think it sounds as if the representatives have been given guidance along the lines of "try to find the best deals for the caller". In fact, in my recent experience calling last week, the representative more or less said as much.
Old May 15, 2011, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1P / PC Plat / SPG Gold
When did you guys open your card? I signed up in Dec 2010 and was told I was not eligible for that offer.
Old May 15, 2011, 8:36 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by adelin
When did you guys open your card? I signed up in Dec 2010 and was told I was not eligible for that offer.
I believe the offer started in early 2011. Look for the start date of the 50,000 point thread - that should give a clue although it may not be definitive.
Old May 15, 2011, 8:52 am

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by jspira
I think it sounds as if the representatives have been given guidance along the lines of "try to find the best deals for the caller". In fact, in my recent experience calling last week, the representative more or less said as much.

Thank you for that! It seems that people that made the 1k spend and got the 50k initial points are the ones that are getting the add'l 50k points applied immediately. Since I just got the card a few weeks ago (but made the 1k spend) I haven't gotten my first statement yet so they said I will have to wait for the first 50k to come then I can call back for the 2nd 50k at that time. Made sure they notated my account and made them read back to me what they wrote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.