Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex PERSONAL platinum 100k mr point sign-up bonus

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2011, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Gotcha! Thanks, should've searched first before posting, doh!
Old Oct 11, 2011, 8:40 pm

I know we have the other thread about matching "bumping the bonus" but there is still the issue of those of us who applied using the 50k link and only got 25k MR points.

I faxed in my screenshots and a letter requesting the additional MR points a few weeks ago and today got a letter acknowledging the issue and promising it will be investigated in the next 30 days. I hope Amex lives up to their promises on this one, if not I'll take it to the executive office.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 8:32 am

75k amex mr

Originally Posted by drbobguy
I know we have the other thread about matching "bumping the bonus" but there is still the issue of those of us who applied using the 50k link and only got 25k MR points.

I faxed in my screenshots and a letter requesting the additional MR points a few weeks ago and today got a letter acknowledging the issue and promising it will be investigated in the next 30 days. I hope Amex lives up to their promises on this one, if not I'll take it to the executive office.
Some people reporting getting 25k +50k using: https://www304.americanexpress.com/p...37904BAA-10863
with a screenshot.

Good Luck to all FTers

Last edited by bst21; Nov 13, 2011 at 4:34 pm
Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT / SPG Gold / National EE / Amex Plat / Visa Infinite / A|Club PLT
Smile made it through

Originally Posted by hobbescene
Hi all,
long time lurker, first time poster here. thought i'd chime in since i have been following these promotions for a while and managed to pull through (to be confirmed) today.

First, my own situation:
- PRG member since 5/2010, and corporate (green) user since '07 but this is less relevant

Codes I have seen (on FT) for a personnal plat card:
- 5748 (100k MR, new card, targeted, no rsvp available)
- 3882 (100k MR, new card, targeted, no rsvp available)
- 4986 (50k MR, new card, targeted, link available a few post above)
Code i have received:
- XXXX + rsvp code (25k MR, upgrade from PRG)

Below is the process i went through, trying to get:
- upgrade to a plat from gold (instead of applying for a new card and closing the gold)
- get the 100k MR
note: I understand i could have applied first (using a 25K offer for upgrade on the phone or the 50k offer for a new card with a link) and THEN ask to be bumped, but the goal was to get 100k upfront)

1) call the "upgrade" desk (1-888-814-9099). 2 calls, 2 CSR, no luck: basically, all they could see in the system was my targeted offer for 25k MR with an upgrade; tried to talk them into giving me more using the usual reasoning (good customer etc.) - "promotion codes mentioned are for new cardmember only, not existing" -> never went anywhere

2) call the new card desk (1-877-801-4221). 2 calls, 2 CSR, no luck either: here, they could see the promotion codes but they ABSOLUTELY required rsvp numbers. Again, all they could see for me was the upgrade offer for 25k MR (one even offered me to apply for a new card WITHOUT any points!) or recommended to go on creditcards.com to get 25k MR with a new application.

3) what unlocked everything was to call the MR desk (1-800-297-1300) ^ -> talk to Abner (i think his unusual name has been mentioned before). the CSR recognized i was an existing PRG cardmember, and he ask me for a code. I mentioned the 5748 and he offered me the following:
- upgrade today to a PLAT
- put a note in my account that i was eligible for the 100k MR once i completed the $1k purchase within 3mths
- call back after 6-8 weeks for a CSR to manually instate the points

So i went for that. He confirmed my upgrade to AMEX PLAT on the spot and instructed to call back within 6-8 weeks if i had completed the $1k purchase to have 100k MR put on my account (!)

I hope this works out for me - and that this is a good way to "pay back" the amazing FT community for the valuable guidance/ tips/etc. i spotted over the last couple yrs..

thanks!
update from post #767 above. Took a long time and repeated calls to MR/ Corporate office over the last 2 months but the "clerical department" having failed 3 times in a row to send me the dreaded "within 10 business days" letter to confirm or deny me, the points finally posted in my account. Worth the wait in my opinion
Old Dec 7, 2011, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
My wife just got targeted for an AmEx Plat card - 100K points for 3K spend. I'm sorely tempted to go for this.

My situation: may main airline program is AA. Between my wife and I, we've got about 2 million miles banked. As a secondary airline, I chose UA/CO, and I've worked it up to nearly 200K miles with UA + CO combined. Plus we've got 200K Chase Ultimate Reward points banked between the two of us (which could easily be transferred to UA/CO if desired).

Curious what other FTers think - the annual fee is a major turn off, but would you plunge in for the 100K Membership Reward points? I really don't need those points for the AmEx MR partner airlines, but I'd be tempted to consider transfer to hotel programs. Looks like I could transfer to Hawaiian, then in turn transfer 1:2 from Hawaiian to Hilton Hotels for 200K Hilton points. Am I thinking straight?

By the way, how did this happen? She first got a mailing offering an AmEx Gold card. I forget how many MR points came with that offer - probably 25K. I wasn't impressed, so we blew that off. Then came a second mailing offering her a Gold card (again, I think it was 25K points) - we blew that off as well. So AmEx has upped the ante and now is offering her the Plat card for 100K MR points. Moral to the story: if you are getting targeted offers from AmEx for a Gold card, and if the MR points are less than you hope for, you may wish to sit back and wait for a better offer.

I don't always understand the credit card companies. My annual income is about 8x hers. But she seems to get all the targeted offers. Go figure. Maybe it's because she is a ton better looking than me.

Anyway, should we pop for this card for the 100K MR points if the goal were to build our portfolio of hotel points?

Last edited by GetawaysRus; Dec 7, 2011 at 9:46 pm
Old Dec 8, 2011, 12:05 am

Programs: AA Plat,PC Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
...Looks like I could transfer to Hawaiian, then in turn transfer 1:2 from Hawaiian to Hilton Hotels for 200K Hilton points.
Hawaiian dosent allow the transferred MR points to be retransferred to HILTON

Last edited by mia; Dec 8, 2011 at 7:42 am
Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:46 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by kyunbit
Hawaiian dosent allow the transferred MR points to be retransferred to HILTON
True. Hawaiian specifically blocks this possibility.

However, it appears you can transfer to Virgin Atlantic (no excise tax), and then transfer from VS to HHonors. There is a typographical error on virginatlantic.com which shows the transfer rate as 1:1, but it is 1:2 see here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgi...on-points.html
Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:59 am

You might want to check the redemption rates at the membershiprewards.com website. I am showing 1:2 right now for a transfer to Hilton if you transfer by the end of the year. This may be targeted though, so YMMV.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 8:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
My wife just got targeted for an AmEx Plat card - 100K points for 3K spend. I'm sorely tempted to go for this.

My situation: may main airline program is AA. Between my wife and I, we've got about 2 million miles banked. As a secondary airline, I chose UA/CO, and I've worked it up to nearly 200K miles with UA + CO combined. Plus we've got 200K Chase Ultimate Reward points banked between the two of us (which could easily be transferred to UA/CO if desired).

Curious what other FTers think - the annual fee is a major turn off, but would you plunge in for the 100K Membership Reward points? I really don't need those points for the AmEx MR partner airlines, but I'd be tempted to consider transfer to hotel programs. Looks like I could transfer to Hawaiian, then in turn transfer 1:2 from Hawaiian to Hilton Hotels for 200K Hilton points. Am I thinking straight?

By the way, how did this happen? She first got a mailing offering an AmEx Gold card. I forget how many MR points came with that offer - probably 25K. I wasn't impressed, so we blew that off. Then came a second mailing offering her a Gold card (again, I think it was 25K points) - we blew that off as well. So AmEx has upped the ante and now is offering her the Plat card for 100K MR points. Moral to the story: if you are getting targeted offers from AmEx for a Gold card, and if the MR points are less than you hope for, you may wish to sit back and wait for a better offer.

I don't always understand the credit card companies. My annual income is about 8x hers. But she seems to get all the targeted offers. Go figure. Maybe it's because she is a ton better looking than me.

Anyway, should we pop for this card for the 100K MR points if the goal were to build our portfolio of hotel points?
Definitely sounds worth it to me. You can get the $200 airline fee reimbursement for 2011 and then again for 2012, which almost pays for the card right there. Some have reported being able to buy AA gift cards with this credit. From there, the 100k points would be icing on the cake.

Do you have the offer number for this? I just signed up for the 50k bonus, but would be interested in seeing if they'd be willing to switch me to this one. I realize it's targeted, but seems worth a shot.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 9:16 pm

Decided to go for it (see post # 1001 above).

She applied by phone. When we called, the offer actually was better than we thought - the AmEx rep said it was 100K MR points for 1K spend (rather than 3K spend).

We asked that the card be expedited, both so that we can start using it for holiday shopping (to meet the spending target) and because I've read The Points Guy's post on Dec 6 about how to maximize the AmEx Plat $200 airline fee credit:
http://thepointsguy.com/2011/12/maxi...ne-fee-credit/

She was approved, and should have the card within less than a week.

Thanks for the advice.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 10:13 am

Decided to go for it (see post # 1001 above).

She applied by phone. When we called, the offer actually was better than we thought - the AmEx rep said it was 100K MR points for 1K spend (rather than 3K spend).

We asked that the card be expedited, both so that we can start using it for holiday shopping (to meet the spending target) and because I've read The Points Guy's post on Dec 6 about how to maximize the AmEx Plat $200 airline fee credit:
http://thepointsguy.com/2011/12/maxi...ne-fee-credit/

She was approved, and should have the card within less than a week.

Thanks for the advice.
Do you have the offer number for this? I just signed up for the 50k bonus, but would be interested in seeing if they'd be willing to switch me to this one. I realize it's targeted, but seems worth a shot.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by JohnDCA
Yes, it's targeted. I double-checked with AmEx - the RSVP code is tied specifically to my wife's name. (When we made the application over the phone, we had to supply information so that AmEx could verify that it was in fact her calling in.) I couldn't even use it if I were to try for a card for myself.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 11:18 pm

Yes, it's targeted. I double-checked with AmEx - the RSVP code is tied specifically to my wife's name. (When we made the application over the phone, we had to supply information so that AmEx could verify that it was in fact her calling in.) I couldn't even use it if I were to try for a card for myself.
Ahh too bad. That's a great bonus.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 7:50 pm

How fast do the bonus MR points post? My partner applied a gold card with 50k bonus. The 50k is now showing as pending. In a few days the first statement should close. When can he expect to actually get the points?
He needs it asap to redeem.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:25 am

Can someone please explain how do you redeem Amex gift card from delta ? (I could not see an option on delta website) . Whats the rate ? 50K Delta miles = $500 AMEX gift card ?

Originally Posted by hytekjosh
Thanks for the bonus ID! Worked like a charm and I had the extra 50,000 points within a few hours of requesting. This puts me at $5,000 in monies from Amex/Delta in the past few months (I've been transferring points from AMEX to Delta, redeeming Amex gift cards at Delta, and cashing those out using Squareup). Delta has had some great 25-80% points bonuses!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.