Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex PERSONAL platinum 100k mr point sign-up bonus

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2011, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by YoungPlatinum
thanks for the link, but i was approved for 100K points, so this wouldnt help me.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 7:01 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

I have edited YoungPlatinum's post to link directly to the waived fee offer. Note that this card is sponsored by Ameriprise. It is not unusual for such versions to include a first year fee waiver in lieu of bonus points.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I have edited YoungPlatinum's post to link directly to the waived fee offer. Note that this card is sponsored by Ameriprise. It is not unusual for such versions to include a first year fee waiver in lieu of bonus points.
From the T&C:

Your ability to have this Card product is contingent on a relationship between you and Ameriprise. If no relationship exists, or if your relationship with Ameriprise ends, American Express has the right to cancel your card account or transfer your account to another American Express Card product that will have different features and benefits.Basic Card: Annual fee waived for the first year; then $450 per year. Additional Cards: Annual fee waived for the first year, then $175 for up to three Additional Cards and $175 for each Additional Card after the first three.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 11:52 am

Even at "only" 50k bonus points (assuming people are still able to finagle the offer) I think 50k + $450 fee is preferable to 30k (the yearly max. bonus on the Ameriprise card )+ no fee. Among other things, to get the full 30k bonus you'd have to spend $120k a year, and even if you were going to spend that much, you'd be hard pressed to apply for any other cards (because you might not be able to meet their spends). So be sure to do the math for your particular situation before going for the fee-free card.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 3:46 pm

Okay my points finally posted and I received just 25,000 after $1000 spend. I had applied using the link in this thread for 50,000 points (Bonus ID 4986). This is the one that several people have gotten just 25,000 bonus points under.

I have the screenshots from the app that clearly show 50,000 bonus points (even after I've entered my info). I've called several times now and the CSR's just say they see no record of that bonus ID on the account, and that I'd have to be solicited to have received it.

Is there an email or mailing address I can write to with printouts to show the screenshots?

Found this one on the website:

American Express
P.O. Box 981540
El Paso,
TX 79998-1540

Last edited by drbobguy; Sep 17, 2011 at 3:51 pm
Old Sep 19, 2011, 8:49 pm

I tried with no luck.

I think this has been overdone. Regardless, they should calm down in terms of trying to find out if you really have a code or not. Is like you are trying to scam them, but the fact is that they made a wrong business decision to begin with, and now they want victimize people that are trying to take advantage of the situation.

I think the only scam is to pay 500$ for a membership for benefits that in the end are not really very beneficial. Will see how this year goes, but i may not keep this card.. kind of bad taste in my mouth now...I was going to give them at least 10k of monthly business...
Old Sep 20, 2011, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by bluplat
I think the only scam is to pay 500$ for a membership for benefits that in the end are not really very beneficial.
To you.

Obviously Amex's response would be to say that they do think the benefits are worth it, and if you don't, you shouldn't get the card. I don't know what I'll do when I'm up for renewal either, but I don't think the mere fact that they are offering this card is a "scam".

It's true, though, that they made a particular business decision, and now they are annoyed about the result. But they're within their rights to stop the offer. I got a Chase Sapphire Preferred card and tried valiantly to get bumped to 100k; no dice. They (Chase) obviously made the decision to never let anyone who could not prove that they were targeted get the 100k offer, period. For whatever reason Amex didn't do that, and now they are changing their mind. I don't think that's a "scam", though.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by crimson12
To you.

Obviously Amex's response would be to say that they do think the benefits are worth it, and if you don't, you shouldn't get the card. I don't know what I'll do when I'm up for renewal either, but I don't think the mere fact that they are offering this card is a "scam".

It's true, though, that they made a particular business decision, and now they are annoyed about the result. But they're within their rights to stop the offer. I got a Chase Sapphire Preferred card and tried valiantly to get bumped to 100k; no dice. They (Chase) obviously made the decision to never let anyone who could not prove that they were targeted get the 100k offer, period. For whatever reason Amex didn't do that, and now they are changing their mind. I don't think that's a "scam", though.
I am using the word "scam" in a wrong way. But I will probably cancel all my amex cards anyway. I got the card to really use it (spend), it seems that my past business is not worth the 50k miles rewards bonus for me. They rather give it away to people that will cancel the card and transfer the points somewhere else... How smart......I feel dumb...
Old Sep 20, 2011, 3:48 pm

Hey peeps,

I was a Plat card holder 2 yrs ago, and cancelled after a year, and recently applied with the 50k link and got approved but am now concerned that due to my being a previous card holder that I won't be eligible for the new 50k bonus.

Am I worrying unnecessarily? I did buy a home in March 2009 and have therefore been at a different address since closing my card.

thanks all, great thread
Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by rymetymeuk
Hey peeps,

I was a Plat card holder 2 yrs ago, and cancelled after a year, and recently applied with the 50k link and got approved but am now concerned that due to my being a previous card holder that I won't be eligible for the new 50k bonus.

Am I worrying unnecessarily? I did buy a home in March 2009 and have therefore been at a different address since closing my card.

thanks all, great thread
YMMV. Mrs. HH and I are both current AmEx cardholders, and we both applied using the 50k link. I wanted to move from business Plat to personal, so I figured I'd be happy with whatever they give me for a bonus.

We both met spend in the first cycle, and we both got 75k bonus (posted as 50k + 25k). Go figure!
Old Sep 21, 2011, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by HookemHorns
YMMV. Mrs. HH and I are both current AmEx cardholders, and we both applied using the 50k link. I wanted to move from business Plat to personal, so I figured I'd be happy with whatever they give me for a bonus.

We both met spend in the first cycle, and we both got 75k bonus (posted as 50k + 25k). Go figure!
Awesome, that's good news! Thank you for the reply.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 2:01 pm

Programs: Delta, UAL, AMEX MR
I got an initial 50K MR points after the $1K spend and then two separate 25K MR credits afterwards within a few weeks. Not sure exactly why. I'm almost tempted to call in and ask.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 3:19 pm

!

^

Well now, all the points have posted and are no longer "pending", so I hopefully won't jinx myself.

1) Wife and I applied for the Plat in late July. Called in and had 5748 noted on the account after receiving the card; they said we should each get the 100k.

2) Met the spend quickly; called to get the points; no luck. They said we'd have to wait 6-8 weeks.

3) First statement showed 25k bonus points. Shortly thereafter, 50k additional points posted.

4) Wife called and said that she had signed up with the 100k offer and was wondering why the full 100k hadn't posted. Guy says, "Yes, I see; I'll just add 50,000 points." And he does! Somehow she winds up with 125k!

5) I call a couple of times to get the points; no luck. They say I have to wait until my second statement closes. When it finally does, I call again, and they add in 25k.

So between the two of us we wound up with 225k bonus points. But YM most definitely MV.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by crimson12
^

1) Wife and I applied for the Plat in late July.

2) Met the spend quickly; called to get the points; no luck. They said we'd have to wait 6-8 weeks.

3) First statement showed 25k bonus points. Shortly thereafter, 50k additional points posted.
Fantastic. What link did you use to apply? This one: https://www304.americanexpress.com/p...ONungB8ckDu-g?

I currently have 25K points. I called up MR customer service asking why 50K points did not post (did not try 100K). They said I had signed up under Bonus ID 3584 instead of bonus id 4986 that was listed on the webpage.

They gave me a fax # 623-444-3000, Attn: American Express Membership Rewards Correspondence Unit. I faxed in the page that I applied with. Now I am wondering if I should not have done this.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by thehimalayas
Fantastic. What link did you use to apply? This one: https://www304.americanexpress.com/p...ONungB8ckDu-g?

I currently have 25K points. I called up MR customer service asking why 50K points did not post (did not try 100K). They said I had signed up under Bonus ID 3584 instead of bonus id 4986 that was listed on the webpage.

They gave me a fax # 623-444-3000, Attn: American Express Membership Rewards Correspondence Unit. I faxed in the page that I applied with. Now I am wondering if I should not have done this.
Yes, that's the link I used. Stupidly I didn't get a screenshot when I applied, but on that page if you scroll down you'll see bonus id 4896. I think what happened with mine (and my wife's) card is:

--We applied using that link, which is a 50k link.
--Amex's standard promo seems to be 25k (this is what you see if you just google "Amex Platinum"), so the system automatically applies only 25k.
--Some time later, because you applied under 4896, the system posts 50k. But for whatever reason, it doesn't "see" the prior 25k, so you wind up with 75k.

I think this is why a few people have recently seen 75k points in their account. At least, this sequence of events is what I've inferred from the calls with the CSRs. But anyway, my point is, when my first statement closed, it showed only 25k points. Maybe give it a little time and see if it will put you up to 50k (or, who knows, even 75!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.