FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Using FHR (Fine Hotels & Resorts) for family and friends (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1118456-using-fhr-fine-hotels-resorts-family-friends.html)

SP03 Aug 21, 2023 11:22 am

Originally Posted by tling (Post 35513323)
I think it REALLY depended on the hotel
Last year during my visit to Hotel Martinez Cannes

1. They asked for the Platinum card to check in
2. They told me that I need to paid for any extra charge (extra breakfast for in-law) using the Platinum card to check out to get the perks
I took out my Hyatt card (hotel is Hyatt group) and was told that if I used anything other than the Platinum for charge they will take away any discount/perks

You can’t use the Hyatt card obviously since it’s a Visa, but any Amex should be okay. It’s in the terms.

tling Aug 26, 2023 10:43 am

Originally Posted by tling (Post 35492354)
My wife have a platinum card and I am an authorized user with a platinum card. I have IHG diamond + ambassador status..
Wondering should I book FHR using her Amex account to get $200 and use my name as the main contact to put in my IHG number

Answering my own question it seems any of the AU with a platinum card will trigger the $200 credit. It is actually in the Terms of FHR.
So no point for me to use my wife account to book IHG hotel.
It seems a few travel websites "gave the impression" that the FHR credit only trigger by the primary card holder which is not true and got me confused.
So always read the terms instead google around

ZBigFam Sep 4, 2023 7:01 am

Amex fhr questions

Hey there, wanting to use the fhr benefits for my upcoming trip to Asia. I searched but couldn't find answers to these questions, if there is a thread with these answers I apologize pls redirect me.

Question 1: in order to maximize the on property benefit, can I book two nights at the property using FHR and then stay another two nights at another property and return two nights later to get another set of on-site benefits?

Question 2: If I book two rooms, do each of the rooms get these benefits or does only one room get the benefits? The benefits being the FHR benefits. I want to book a room for myself and my parents, and I would like them to have the FHR benefits as well if possible.

Thanks for your help!

AFAM-DFW Sep 4, 2023 8:06 am

#1 yes. FHR only requires a one night stay for benefits.

#2 up to three rooms qualify.

https://www.americanexpress.com/en-u...s-and-resorts/

ZBigFam Sep 4, 2023 9:36 am

Thank you so much. Appreciate this! Planning to use this for a fhr stay in Jakarta, if anyone has any recommendations I'd sure appreciate it.

ZBigFam Sep 4, 2023 10:48 pm

So reading through the terms it looks like I can book three rooms and get benefits but they all need to be in my name? Do I just add my parents to the other room after.i book?

SP03 Sep 5, 2023 6:04 am

Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 35554412)
So reading through the terms it looks like I can book three rooms and get benefits but they all need to be in my name? Do I just add my parents to the other room after.i book?

If you are traveling together, doesn’t it matter if their name is on the reservation? Just book under you.

ZBigFam Sep 5, 2023 7:41 am

Well I would want them to be able to charge things to the room, get a new key if they lost one etc . Hotels in Asia can be very strict about that if their names are not on the reservation and if their signatures aren't on the signature card/record.

SP03 Sep 5, 2023 9:12 am

Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 35555212)
Well I would want them to be able to charge things to the room, get a new key if they lost one etc . Hotels in Asia can be very strict about that if their names are not on the reservation and if their signatures aren't on the signature card/record.

You can add their names to the reservations at check in... That shouldn't be a problem at all.

ZBigFam Sep 5, 2023 9:21 am

Originally Posted by SP03 (Post 35555452)
You can add their names to the reservations at check in... That shouldn't be a problem at all.

Of course but that only works if we travel the same.flight/itinerary. I am based in the US they are in Asia. They will be there before me.

Have you encountered this before or are you saying these things out of supposition?

SP03 Sep 5, 2023 10:12 am

Originally Posted by ZBigFam (Post 35555478)
Of course but that only works if we travel the same.flight/itinerary. I am based in the US they are in Asia. They will be there before me.

Have you encountered this before or are you saying these things out of supposition?

I don't know which hotel you are staying at, so obviously it's a generalization.

But sometimes we have to make conjectures based on common sense. If you book 3 rooms, the hotels are obviously going to know there is more than one person occupying those rooms. Just tell the hotels know ahead of time who will be staying there is sufficient. This will only be an issue if you don't plan on staying there at all. Because FHR requires you to pay with an Amex card in the name of the reservation.

ubiytza Nov 7, 2023 5:04 pm

Benefits

Originally Posted by SP03 (Post 35555601)
I don't know which hotel you are staying at, so obviously it's a generalization.

But sometimes we have to make conjectures based on common sense. If you book 3 rooms, the hotels are obviously going to know there is more than one person occupying those rooms. Just tell the hotels know ahead of time who will be staying there is sufficient. This will only be an issue if you don't plan on staying there at all. Because FHR requires you to pay with an Amex card in the name of the reservation.

So reading through this thread, I guess without going through the AU route, there is no way to get the $200 credit if my brother books a room in my name? (And he is not going to be present at checkin) I also have a platinum card, but I used up my credit. So wanted to get my brothers

54austin Nov 8, 2023 1:10 am

Originally Posted by ubiytza (Post 35727389)
So reading through this thread, I guess without going through the AU route, there is no way to get the $200 credit if my brother books a room in my name? (And he is not going to be present at checkin) I also have a platinum card, but I used up my credit. So wanted to get my brothers

This is very much YMMV, but I have been able to stay and receive all the FHR benefits when using someone else's card (and I was not an AU). First, I am sure to be added as an additional guest - preferably via the hotel's confirmation and/or as indicated in the comments field on the FHR booking. Then, I email the hotel with the reservation details and tell them my partner/father/etc. is is paying for my stay as a gift and ask them to confirm my name for check-in. I make sure to mention that it is an Amex FHR booking so they have an opportunity to tell me that they will not provide the FHR benefits. It's up to you if you want to be more direct and try to get them to explicitly confirm that they will honor the benefits. In my experience, if they don't mention anything, I'm good to go. And, if at check-in, they say they will not, you can honestly say this was a gifted stay *via FHR for the benefits* and that you emailed the hotel in advance to confirm. You can feign surprise, but up until this point you were honest...and, presumably, are sincerely disappointed!

ubiytza Nov 8, 2023 6:22 am

Originally Posted by 54austin (Post 35728012)
This is very much YMMV, but I have been able to stay and receive all the FHR benefits when using someone else's card (and I was not an AU). First, I am sure to be added as an additional guest - preferably via the hotel's confirmation and/or as indicated in the comments field on the FHR booking. Then, I email the hotel with the reservation details and tell them my partner/father/etc. is is paying for my stay as a gift and ask them to confirm my name for check-in. I make sure to mention that it is an Amex FHR booking so they have an opportunity to tell me that they will not provide the FHR benefits. It's up to you if you want to be more direct and try to get them to explicitly confirm that they will honor the benefits. In my experience, if they don't mention anything, I'm good to go. And, if at check-in, they say they will not, you can honestly say this was a gifted stay *via FHR for the benefits* and that you emailed the hotel in advance to confirm. You can feign surprise, but up until this point you were honest...and, presumably, are sincerely disappointed!

Thanks for your response. Maybe this is a good route to take. Most booking are cancelable, so if I can get a firm confirmation over email, I'll do it.
Now, when putting in the main guest, I am assuming my brother has to put his name, otherwise amex may not issue the $200 credit.

54austin Nov 8, 2023 8:09 am

Originally Posted by ubiytza (Post 35728452)
Thanks for your response. Maybe this is a good route to take. Most booking are cancelable, so if I can get a firm confirmation over email, I'll do it.
Now, when putting in the main guest, I am assuming my brother has to put his name, otherwise amex may not issue the $200 credit.

That's what the terms state and what I have done.