FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Using FHR (Fine Hotels & Resorts) for family and friends (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1118456-using-fhr-fine-hotels-resorts-family-friends.html)

PHLondoner Aug 4, 2023 2:00 pm

My wife and I need to book two separate FHR hotel rooms at the same hotel for an upcoming trip. I’m the main platinum account holder and she has a platinum card as an authorized user on my anccount…are we able to book two hotel rooms separately and get 2X the FHR hotel benefits? I’m not even sure if this is feasible - perhaps if she calls Platinum concierge to book hers and i just book separately on my travel portal? Any ideas?

bgriff Aug 4, 2023 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by PHLondoner (Post 35470859)
My wife and I need to book two separate FHR hotel rooms at the same hotel for an upcoming trip. I’m the main platinum account holder and she has a platinum card as an authorized user on my anccount…are we able to book two hotel rooms separately and get 2X the FHR hotel benefits? I’m not even sure if this is feasible - perhaps if she calls Platinum concierge to book hers and i just book separately on my travel portal? Any ideas?

You're looking for this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...stions-15.html
Short answer is, maybe yes, but Amex and the hotels have cracked down on this somewhat, so may not be worth trying, especially if you are not willing to fully check out and change rooms. (The only difference is the $100 credit benefit; you would get breakfast both nights whether booked as one or multiple stays.)

But in general, your wife should have no problem making FHR bookings under her name by logging into her Amex.com account.

SP03 Aug 4, 2023 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by PHLondoner (Post 35470859)

Are you talking about one person booking each room for the duration of the stay or one person booking one room, then another person booking for another room after you check out?

If the former, you can book up to 3 rooms and get FHR benefits for each.

bgriff Aug 4, 2023 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by SP03 (Post 35471050)
Are you talking about one person booking each room for the duration of the stay or one person booking one room, then another person booking for another room after you check out?

If the former, you can book up to 3 rooms and get FHR benefits for each.

Ah yes sorry I misread. If you are booking 2 rooms for the same dates then there's no issue -- you can either book both under your card, or each under your own card / own Amex.com login.

tling Aug 12, 2023 4:24 pm

My wife have a platinum card and I am an authorized user with a platinum card. I have IHG diamond + ambassador status..
Wondering should I book FHR using her Amex account to get $200 and use my name as the main contact to put in my IHG number
or
I can just use my Amex account to book FHR and I could get both $200 credit and the perks.
or
It isn't worth the trouble to put in my IHG number to get the IHG benefit

Thanks

mia Aug 12, 2023 4:52 pm

You may receive better replies if you mention the name of the IHG property. Most hotels are franchises, which means there is variation in how they administer chain benefits. If someone else has stayed at the same property they may be able to tell you what to expect.

shukla Aug 13, 2023 7:56 am

I'm hoping to book the Conrad Singapore on behalf of in-laws and wanted to see if anyone has experience of whether their check-in staff is require the in-laws to show an Amex card. I can put their name as main contact on the booking website just fine.

cfischer Aug 13, 2023 11:00 am

Originally Posted by shukla (Post 35493618)
I'm hoping to book the Conrad Singapore on behalf of in-laws and wanted to see if anyone has experience of whether their check-in staff is require the in-laws to show an Amex card. I can put their name as main contact on the booking website just fine.

Conrad Singapore asked for the card when I checked in earlier this year.

shukla Aug 13, 2023 11:50 am

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 35494057)
Conrad Singapore asked for the card when I checked in earlier this year.

do you recall if they asked specifically for the platinum card or any amex? They are in KL right now and I don’t think I could get Amex to ship them an AU card in time for check in, but they hold an Amex card in their name they could show.

SP03 Aug 13, 2023 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by shukla (Post 35494157)
do you recall if they asked specifically for the platinum card or any amex? They are in KL right now and I don’t think I could get Amex to ship them an AU card in time for check in, but they hold an Amex card in their name they could show.

You don't need a Platinum card for check in. Any Amex card

cfischer Aug 13, 2023 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by shukla (Post 35494157)

no, I paid with my Hilton Amex card. Card needs to be in the name of the person who is holding the platinum card that is eligible for FHR.

If the Amex card is in their name and booking is in their name, that should work IMO.

shukla Aug 13, 2023 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer (Post 35494402)
no, I paid with my Marriott Bonvoy card. Card needs to be in the name of the person who is holding the platinum card that is eligible for FHR.

If the Amex card is in their name and booking is in their name, that should work IMO.

Ok, I currently have a prepaid booking with their name and contact as the main guest. I’ll try to call Amex and see if they can get a card out to them in time. Otherwise, I’ll call the hotel and check their policy about this case. They do have a separate Amex corporate card, but (this is the source of all complication) it is cancelled due to some fraudulent transactions. So they can show it but not put it down for deposits.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

zddp1273 Aug 18, 2023 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by shukla (Post 35494433)
Ok, I currently have a prepaid booking with their name and contact as the main guest. I’ll try to call Amex and see if they can get a card out to them in time. Otherwise, I’ll call the hotel and check their policy about this case. They do have a separate Amex corporate card, but (this is the source of all complication) it is cancelled due to some fraudulent transactions. So they can show it but not put it down for deposits.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Any issues with their check in?

shukla Aug 20, 2023 9:16 am

Originally Posted by zddp1273 (Post 35509092)
Any issues with their check in?

They were able to check in, but they had to put their (other) Amex card down for incidentals.

tling Aug 20, 2023 11:14 am

Originally Posted by SP03 (Post 35494292)
You don't need a Platinum card for check in. Any Amex card

I think it REALLY depended on the hotel
Last year during my visit to Hotel Martinez Cannes

1. They asked for the Platinum card to check in
2. They told me that I need to paid for any extra charge (extra breakfast for in-law) using the Platinum card to check out to get the perks
I took out my Hyatt card (hotel is Hyatt group) and was told that if I used anything other than the Platinum for charge they will take away any discount/perks