FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Using FHR (Fine Hotels & Resorts) for family and friends (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1118456-using-fhr-fine-hotels-resorts-family-friends.html)

elizacat Feb 18, 2020 5:58 am

You could add your wife as a supplementary card holder on the account and then get her to book the rooms on her card that way she will get the benefits for up to 3 rooms and you can still pay the bill!

Jay66 Feb 18, 2020 7:50 am

What about booking an FHR prepaid booking for someone else who ALSO has a (separate) platinum card account? Has anyone tried this?

ijgordon Feb 19, 2020 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Jay66 (Post 32085583)
What about booking an FHR prepaid booking for someone else who ALSO has a (separate) platinum card account? Has anyone tried this?

I imagine that's technically against the rules as well, but probably has a higher likelihood of working than booking for someone that doesn't have a Plat card, because they can at least show them a Plat card at check-in.

WasKnown Aug 13, 2021 7:36 am

Can I book a prepaid FHR booking for my friend and have her check in without me being there?

bgriff Aug 13, 2021 7:47 am

Originally Posted by WasKnown (Post 33487787)
Can I book a prepaid FHR booking for my friend and have her check in without me being there?

YMMV but I don't think it's officially supposed to be allowed. I know of a similar situation, IIRC it was at the Bellagio, where the hotel let the friend check into the room as a courtesy, but withheld the FHR benefits paperwork (and I assume didn't officially apply the benefits to the room folio) until the Platinum card holder arrived and went to the front desk. But I don't know if that's standard or if some hotels might not let them check in at all. One alternative option might be to look at booking through other programs like Virtuoso that give similar benefits but aren't tied to a particular credit card so the booking could be under your friend's name.

mathwizard314 Oct 24, 2021 3:35 pm

I have an Amex Platinum card. My mom also has an Amex Platinum card, and I'm an authorized user on her account (the free Gold version, not the Platinum version of authorized users). Is there any way I could use her $200 FHR benefit without her physically being present?

From my research, I think I could do this more easily if I were a paid authorized user on her Platinum account, not the free authorized user. Does anyone know if this is true? Am really just wondering if there's any way I can use my mom's $200 benefit without her being present for the reservation - and need to know tactically how to do that. Thanks so much!

DoctorORD Oct 25, 2021 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31319513)
You can add your parents as additional cardmembers for $175 and they will have full FHR access. No need to play tricks that may or may not work.

Access how so? I have been able to make a FHR reservation for an additional cardholder *over the phone*, but then I only got 1x for the booking, not the usual 5x. When using the amextravel portal, my name is automatically selected (and cannot be unselected) for the FHR reservation. Am I supposed to make an additional login (is this possible?) for the additional cardholder, and then they can access amextravel and book for themselves?

bgriff Oct 25, 2021 9:47 am

Originally Posted by DoctorORD (Post 33672694)
Access how so? I have been able to make a FHR reservation for an additional cardholder *over the phone*, but then I only got 1x for the booking, not the usual 5x. When using the amextravel portal, my name is automatically selected (and cannot be unselected) for the FHR reservation. Am I supposed to make an additional login (is this possible?) for the additional cardholder, and then they can access amextravel and book for themselves?

Amex Additional Cardholders can sign up to have access to an Amex.com account just like the primary cardholder can (or can add the additional card to their account, if they are the primary cardholder on other Amex cards already). So yes they would then log in through that channel and have access to book FHR for themselves.

staradmiral Mar 24, 2022 8:52 am

FHR for someone else success

Successfully booked FHR for someone else and completed stay by adding them an a platinum authorized user.
1. Add platinum authorized user
2. Authorized user can make their own amex online account and book their room in their name
3. The $200 amex travel credit was credited
4. Close the authorized user card. The $175 fee is refundable within 30 days of adding the AU.
5. enjoy your stay. The platinum card does not need to be open at the time of stay since it's prepaid.

friedablass Oct 28, 2022 2:52 pm

I'm looking to book 4 nights at an FHR hotel later this year. We each have a plat card and each of my parents have 1 too and aren't planning to use their credits this year so said we can and they will each book a night.

What do my parents tell Amex and/or the hotel for the nights they book for us? Because you can't change the name for the booking when doing it online and I want the hotel to know that we're going to be there for 4 nights and keep us in the same room.

SP03 Oct 28, 2022 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass (Post 34715943)
I'm looking to book 4 nights at an FHR hotel later this year. We each have a plat card and my each of my parents have 1 too and aren't planning to use their credits this year so said we can and they will each book a night.

What do my parents tell Amex and/or the hotel for the nights they book for us? Because you can't change the name for the booking when doing it online and I want the hotel to know that we're going to be there for 4 nights and keep us in the same room.

You cannot book for someone else. If they book, they must check in.
Of course, some hotels may not follow the rules.

odie11 Oct 28, 2022 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by SP03 (Post 34715980)
You cannot book for someone else. If they book, they must check in.
Of course, some hotels may not follow the rules.

So we can't book a hotel for our daughter using our Amex Plat FHR?

SP03 Oct 28, 2022 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by odie11 (Post 34716051)

No, unless you check in.

You can add them as an authorized user so they can book FHR

MaxVO Oct 28, 2022 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by odie11 (Post 34716051)

To get the AmEx credit, you must book for the Plat card holder. Afterwards you can contact the hotel and add your daughter (or another person) to the reservation. It's best to get an email confirmation for the 2nd guest. There are no requirements for everyone to be present or to check in.

odie11 Oct 29, 2022 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO (Post 34716367)
To get the AmEx credit, you must book for the Plat card holder. Afterwards you can contact the hotel and add your daughter (or another person) to the reservation. It's best to get an email confirmation for the 2nd guest. There are no requirements for everyone to be present or to check in.

This is good to know, thank you. I will follow this advice.