Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Using FHR (Fine Hotels & Resorts) for family and friends

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AmexPlatCharge, KFGold, AClubGold, VisaSignatureX2, ITC Culinary Plus, Taj Epicure

I wish to ask people who use FHR on a regular basis. Are the FHR benefits restricted to only the cardmember, when he is travelling, or can the cardmember book hotels/resorts on somebody's behalf also ? So let's say if I want to book hotels for my friend and avail FHR benefits from him, can I do so ?
Regards, Puneet
Old Aug 21, 2010, 6:40 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by PuneetAggarwal
I wish to ask people who use FHR on a regular basis. Are the FHR benefits restricted to only the cardmember, when he is travelling, or can the cardmember book hotels/resorts on somebody's behalf also ? So let's say if I want to book hotels for my friend and avail FHR benefits from him, can I do so ?
Regards, Puneet
I don't believe so. In order to receive the benefits you must check in with and use your plat/cent card.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 6:51 am

Do a search - in short, if you book with FHR they get the benefits but they can still opt to pay with another Amex upon check-out.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 7:22 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

from the fhr faq

Can I make a FINE HOTEL & RESORTS reservation for someone else?

Platinum Card® and Centurion® members may make reservations for others as long as they will be traveling with them. Please note that at least one room must be under a Platinum Card or Centurion member's name.

Can I use more than one American Express Card to make my reservation?

No. Only one American Express® Card in the Platinum Card or Centurion member's name can be used to make the reservation. However, you may request the hotel property at the time of check-in to use multiple American Express Cards for payment.

What credit cards do you accept?

This program is only offered to Platinum Card and Centurion members. All participating hotels accept only American Express Cards for reservations made under this program.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 5:36 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by erik123
Do a search - in short, if you book with FHR they get the benefits but they can still opt to pay with another Amex upon check-out.
The t&c's which are posted below your post state the opposite. Are you saying that you've successfully booked FHR for some one else when not traveling along with them and they've honored everything?
Old Aug 22, 2010, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by mlad1101
The t&c's which are posted below your post state the opposite. Are you saying that you've successfully booked FHR for some one else when not traveling along with them and they've honored everything?
Yes - and BTW I asked Amex whether that was OK when booking.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by erik123
Yes - and BTW I asked Amex whether that was OK when booking.
Well this is absolutely not standard practice. If the Platinum Cardholder does not show up at check-in then the FHR benefits are not provided.
Old Aug 24, 2010, 6:45 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Well this is absolutely not standard practice..
Agreed, but occupancy rates are dismal and travel agencies probably have some discretion to waive these types of requirements if it will result in extra business.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:05 pm

FHR benefits for family

Has anyone had any success booking a room through FHR for family(parents) without having to show up at checkin themselves for the benefits?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: Amex Canada Centurion (and all the fixings)...and 20,000,000+ misc. points/miles to spend!
Originally Posted by gurjsingh
Has anyone had any success booking a room through FHR for family(parents) without having to show up at checkin themselves for the benefits?

Thanks in advance!
If they can pay with an Amex card, they might be all set. Hard to say -- I've never taken the risk. However, I'm often able to pay for FHR bookings using Visa cards without a problem upon checkout (granted, I was still the one present).
Old Feb 10, 2014, 5:28 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

gurjsingh's question has been appended to a brief previous discussion of this topic.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 6:11 pm

I've only booked 4 rooms under FHR (Canada AMEX Platinum) and all received upgrades & benefits (free dinner), but I was there to check-in myself
Old Feb 10, 2014, 8:35 pm
formerly BackSlash3

Programs: AC P25, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond AMB
Im not sure if this is the spirit of the question being asked, but I have booked FHR stays for both my parents and my wife when travelling without me, but I've given my wife and my dad supplementary plat cards on my account. So, there was no question of entitlement to FHR benefits, just that I booked it for them.

Although, the Shangri-La in Sydney didnt honor the benefits and claimed it wasnt an FHR reservation despite being confronted with the itinerary from the platinum travel service. We're still working that through customer service channels.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 10:56 pm

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
Made an FHR reservation for a friend under my name, called to add notes that said friend could check-in before my arrival --- was a disaster. Front Desk wouldn't allow him to check-in and he stayed elsewhere whilst I was charged a no-show fee.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by JAGMAP
Made an FHR reservation for a friend under my name, called to add notes that said friend could check-in before my arrival --- was a disaster. Front Desk wouldn't allow him to check-in and he stayed elsewhere whilst I was charged a no-show fee.

That sounds terrible.. I ended up not taking the risk!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.