FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Using FHR (Fine Hotels & Resorts) for family and friends (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1118456-using-fhr-fine-hotels-resorts-family-friends.html)

mordakky Nov 5, 2022 2:52 am

Myself, my father, and mother all have $200 hotel credits available.

I booked FHR for myself November 11-13
I want to use my mother and father's $200 credit also, but they won't be traveling.
Can I book November 13-15 and 15-17 under their cards and put down my name?

Can I use their $100 spa credit?

friedablass Nov 6, 2022 8:31 am

Originally Posted by mordakky (Post 34734329)
Myself, my father, and mother all have $200 hotel credits available.

I booked FHR for myself November 11-13
I want to use my mother and father's $200 credit also, but they won't be traveling.
Can I book November 13-15 and 15-17 under their cards and put down my name?

Can I use their $100 spa credit?

See the post right above yours where I highlighted the steps for the correct way to make this type of reservation. You will most likely not get the $100 hotel credit for each reservation but it's up to the hotel.

luv2ctheworld Dec 20, 2022 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by staradmiral (Post 34102717)
Successfully booked FHR for someone else and completed stay by adding them an a platinum authorized user.
1. Add platinum authorized user
2. Authorized user can make their own amex online account and book their room in their name
3. The $200 amex travel credit was credited
4. Close the authorized user card. The $175 fee is refundable within 30 days of adding the AU.
5. enjoy your stay. The platinum card does not need to be open at the time of stay since it's prepaid.

Originally Posted by friedablass (Post 34720663)
Since this conversation was moved to another thread, I scrolled up and found this post.

So this seems like the safest strategy. I ask my parents to add me as a Plat user to their account, add the card to my login, book FHR, get the $200 credit, and close the card for a refund of the annual fee.

Question for those that added AU and booked under AU. Is this option only available AFTER the AU has received the card and activated, or can this be done in advance?

MaxVO Dec 21, 2022 6:51 am

Originally Posted by friedablass (Post 34720663)
...this seems like the safest strategy. I ask my parents to add me as a Plat user to their account, add the card to my login, book FHR, get the $200 credit, and close the card for a refund of the annual fee.

It won't be the safest, if it gets you on the bank's s-list. It will still be obvious to them, that you're evading their restrictions. Plus this forces the bank to incur incidental expenses: those metal cards aren't cheap to manufacture, and neither is Fedex shipping.

bgriff Dec 21, 2022 7:29 am

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld (Post 34851907)
Question for those that added AU and booked under AU. Is this option only available AFTER the AU has received the card and activated, or can this be done in advance?

The booking needs to be made from the AU's Amex.com account in order to have it be in the AU's name, so if the AU doesn't have an existing Amex.com login they would need to receive the card and activate it in order to create that login. If the AU has other Amex cards, I am not sure if a newly added card will show up on their Amex.com login automatically or only upon activation.

friedablass Dec 21, 2022 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO (Post 34852603)
It won't be the safest, if it gets you on the bank's s-list. It will still be obvious to them, that you're evading their restrictions. Plus this forces the bank to incur incidental expenses: those metal cards aren't cheap to manufacture, and neither is Fedex shipping.

I haven't done this yet, but to me this is just being overly paranoid and I'm not very worried about the expense incurred by Amex which to them is very nominal in the scope of their business scheme. To each their own.

If I'll want to use this strategy at any point I wouldn't hesitate at all. I'm not looking to game any system or evade anything. It's actually to the contrary. The $200 FHR credit on my parent's plat is a feature they're entitled to and it makes no difference to Amex if the primary or AU uses it. By booking it in my own name it will actually alert the hotel that it's all 1 stay and they aren't required to give me multiple $100 property credits which is the only restriction I'm aware of - I'm perfectly fine just getting 1, all I'm after is the $200 FHR credit towards the room rate which it clearly says can be used towards a single night stay.

If 2 spouses with personal Plats each booked a night on their respective cards with no expectation to receive an extra $100 property credit, would that also be considered evading restrictions? It is clearly not.

Originally Posted by bgriff (Post 34852684)
The booking needs to be made from the AU's Amex.com account in order to have it be in the AU's name, so if the AU doesn't have an existing Amex.com login they would need to receive the card and activate it in order to create that login. If the AU has other Amex cards, I am not sure if a newly added card will show up on their Amex.com login automatically or only upon activation.

I very highly doubt the AU card would show up in their account automatically so they'd need to wait to receive and add it prior to being able to book.

Stgermainparis Feb 25, 2023 3:39 pm

I’m having difficulty with the search function (errors out), so my apologies if this is answered elsewhere.

I’d like to book a hotel for my father via FHR and get the $200 credit plus get him the benefits like breakfast and dining credit. I will not be traveling with him. Is this possible? I have considered getting him an AU plat card but haven’t (or an AU gold if that would help). I assume that is a workaround but would like to know if that’s necessary.

mia Feb 25, 2023 3:56 pm

Moderator action

I have moved your question into the most specific thread.

Stgermainparis Feb 25, 2023 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis (Post 35041572)
I’m having difficulty with the search function (errors out), so my apologies if this is answered elsewhere.

I’d like to book a hotel for my father via FHR and get the $200 credit plus get him the benefits like breakfast and dining credit. I will not be traveling with him. Is this possible? I have considered getting him an AU plat card but haven’t (or an AU gold if that would help). I assume that is a workaround but would like to know if that’s necessary.

Originally Posted by mia (Post 35041613)
I have moved your question into the most specific thread.

Thanks MIA! I didn’t even see this thread. Not sure why.

But now that I’m here, it seems that I should probably get my dad a plat AU if we want to book for him.

mia Feb 25, 2023 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis (Post 35041886)
....should probably get my dad a plat AU if we want to book for him.

Agreed, an additional Gold Card won't help, and the additional Platinum will provide a range of features which may benefit him depending on how he travels.

Lepamath Mar 19, 2023 5:49 am

My wife have the platinum card and I have diamond status at Hilton. Is it something to play around to get my status while she book with amex hotel?

ABG Mar 19, 2023 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Lepamath (Post 35099122)
My wife have the platinum card and I have diamond status at Hilton. Is it something to play around to get my status while she book with amex hotel?

Unless you have Amex credit to use up, Hilton's own Impresario program will give you 2x status points for Hilton plus all the perks of Diamond. You'll also get a 100$ on property credit.

mia Mar 19, 2023 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Lepamath (Post 35099122)
My wife have the platinum card

Which type: personal, Business or Corporate?

tanlee07 Jul 27, 2023 1:53 pm

Going to Vegas for 3 nights and need to use 4 Personal Plat FHR credits.
I have two personal cards, my wife has one, my mom has one (but won't be traveling with us)
Was planning to do check in and check out each day
NIght 1 Night 2 Night 3
My card my wifes card my card
my moms card
Is adding my wife to my moms card as authorized user the only way to do this? Or can i add my wifes name to the room. Currently in the AMEX website, you are able to change the name.

Thanks

friedablass Jul 27, 2023 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by tanlee07 (Post 35449824)
Currently in the AMEX website, you are able to change the name.

Thanks

This must be something new because in the past you couldn't change the name and booking had to be in the cardholder's name hence the workaround in adding a Plat AU.