FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Using FHR (Fine Hotels & Resorts) for family and friends (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1118456-using-fhr-fine-hotels-resorts-family-friends.html)

MSPeconomist Dec 20, 2016 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 27643029)
Interestingly, I can change the payment info to choose any other (amex) card linked to my online account.

You can use any AmEx card in your own name, assuming that the credit limit is high enough, etc.

Normally the room seems to be guaranteed with your Platinum or Centurion card.

ijgordon Dec 21, 2016 10:55 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 27643048)
You can use any AmEx card in your own name, assuming that the credit limit is high enough, etc.

Normally the room seems to be guaranteed with your Platinum or Centurion card.

Yes, I know, I was just addressing the fact that on the UK site (per Lawro), you apparently can't change the CC, while on the US site you can. This may be more relevant for Vegas bookings, which typically require a 1-night deposit at the time of booking. On the US site, one can pay that with a non-Platinum card.

Lawro Dec 24, 2016 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 27645199)
Yes, I know, I was just addressing the fact that on the UK site (per Lawro), you apparently can't change the CC, while on the US site you can. This may be more relevant for Vegas bookings, which typically require a 1-night deposit at the time of booking. On the US site, one can pay that with a non-Platinum card.

Sorry for the sake of clarity and not wanting to offer incorrect info: Both of the accounts that I have previously used to search and book FHR rates didn't have other Amex cards linked to that online account. This may explain the inability to select a different card rather than it being a requirement to use the Platinum/Centurion card.

Lawro Dec 24, 2016 10:41 pm

A further data point on this subject:

Checked out of a FHR stay last week. No issues paying with a non-Plat Amex in my name not the Platinum account holder whose account it was booked through. All traveller/guest details were in my name on the reservation.

No mention made or requirement for Platinum account holder to be present/check-in.

dhuey Dec 25, 2016 9:15 pm

Several times I have made an FHR reservation on the Amex site under my own name (I'm a Plat holder). Then I've added my wife's name to the reservation directly with the hotel. She would check in on her own, using her own non-Plat Amex card. No hotel clerk has ever asked her where I was (home, as it happens). Never a problem getting the FHR benefits. All they cared about is that her name is on the reservation and she's paying with an Amex card.

This is a non-issue for us now that she has her own Plat card (from the 100K MR bonus offer).

enoscabell Jul 18, 2019 1:38 pm

Transfer FHR reservation

I'm looking into helping my parents book a reservation for a trip to London in a few months. I currently have a personal platinum card, but they do not. If I find a good deal on a FHR hotel, would it work for me to make a reservation for two people and add my dad as the second guest on the room? If he then gets his own personal platinum card before the trip, would he be able to check in under my reservation since he would be on the reservation and he would have the necessary card? I won't be making the trip.

Centurion Jul 18, 2019 3:43 pm

As long as your father has any american express card it should work. Your father may or may not get FHR benefits depending on the hotel and check in person.

Kacee Jul 18, 2019 11:50 pm

You can add your parents as additional cardmembers for $175 and they will have full FHR access. No need to play tricks that may or may not work.

enoscabell Jul 19, 2019 11:45 am

Thanks Kacee, that definitely sounds like the easiest solution.

Gig103 Jul 19, 2019 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by enoscabell (Post 31321160)

You can also try to find a "Virtuoso" travel agency, they can offer benefits comparable to FHR as well and has an overlapping product line. I have not done this personally but have read about it on Flyertalk.

Kacee Jul 19, 2019 3:05 pm

They would also get the various lounge access benefits (Amex, DL, Priority Pass, Escape) while traveling.

ijgordon Jul 21, 2019 7:21 pm

As long as you trust your parents! ;)

JaysonW Feb 16, 2020 1:28 pm

Amex Platinum Booking Question

My wife's 40th is coming up in May and I'd like to book a resort in AZ for her and a few friends. I won't be going, but would like to book using my Platinum card via the LHC or Amex FHR portal for the perks etc. Do I have to be on the itinerary in order to book this weekend stay? Will she be able to check in and get any perks associated with the booking? I don't want her to have to pay for anything that weekend, just bill the card. These are rookie questions, I'm sure, but it's the first time since I've had the card where I won't be on an itinerary with her.

Thanks,

gengar Feb 16, 2020 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 31327971)
As long as you trust your parents! ;)

Responding to an old post, but wanted to note that AMEX allows primary account to set spending limits on AU cards - all the way down to just $200/cycle.

Kacee Feb 16, 2020 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by JaysonW (Post 32079062)
My wife's 40th is coming up in May and I'd like to book a resort in AZ for her and a few friends. I won't be going, but would like to book using my Platinum card via the LHC or Amex FHR portal for the perks etc. Do I have to be on the itinerary in order to book this weekend stay? Will she be able to check in and get any perks associated with the booking? I don't want her to have to pay for anything that weekend, just bill the card. These are rookie questions, I'm sure, but it's the first time since I've had the card where I won't be on an itinerary with her.

This benefit is for the cardholder, not friends and family: "Cardmember must travel on itnerary in order to receive benefits described." AMEX FHR

Whether the property will enforce the rule is YMMV. But it's basically a fraudulent booking.

You could add your wife as an authorized user, then she can book FHR herself.