FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Using FHR (Fine Hotels & Resorts) for family and friends (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1118456-using-fhr-fine-hotels-resorts-family-friends.html)

milespoints Oct 29, 2022 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by odie11 (Post 34718088)
This is good to know, thank you. I will follow this advice.

You can actually add the second name when you do your booking. Hilton will see it on their end when they get the reservation.

friedablass Oct 29, 2022 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO (Post 34716367)
To get the AmEx credit, you must book for the Plat card holder. Afterwards you can contact the hotel and add your daughter (or another person) to the reservation. It's best to get an email confirmation for the 2nd guest. There are no requirements for everyone to be present or to check in.

Thank you for your advice. I will tell my parents to book for us this way.

Originally Posted by milespoints (Post 34718405)
You can actually add the second name when you do your booking. Hilton will see it on their end when they get the reservation.

I didn't see where to to do this online. Do you mean you can do it if you're booking by phone with Amex FHR? Also, what if it's not a Hilton hotel? Will they see it too?

milespoints Oct 29, 2022 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by odie11 (Post 34718088)
This is good to know, thank you. I will follow this advice.

Originally Posted by friedablass (Post 34718445)

I didn't see where to to do this online. Do you mean you can do it if you're booking by phone with Amex FHR? Also, what if it's not a Hilton hotel? Will they see it too?

Sorry, I thought you were calling it into Amex. They can add a second person on your reservations on the phone.

odie11 Oct 30, 2022 8:40 am

Originally Posted by milespoints (Post 34718452)
Sorry, I thought you were calling it into Amex. They can add a second person on your reservations on the phone.

Aaahhh....a bit confused... so I want to book the IHG in Vienna for one for our daughter. So two questions:

1. Should I do it online and then call the hotel to add my daughter's name to the reservation? Or should I call AMEX Plat and make the reservation over the phone with them?

2. The room rate is as low as $189 so that takes the $200 FHR credit completely, so it uses the whole credit? Meaning there is no minimum that the room rate needs to be correct?

Thanks!

MaxVO Oct 30, 2022 9:38 am

Originally Posted by odie11 (Post 34719115)
... should I call AMEX Plat and make the reservation over the phone with them?

Unless the contact with Amex Travel is mandated or necessary, you should absolutely avoid their human agents. They are not exactly competent, and have many pages of history of mangling even idiot-proof tasks. It's also unwise to proceed blindly when you can see all your options on the screen in front of you.
Adding a 2nd person directly with the hotel can be done by any means. But always follow up with a written confirmation (e.g. by email or fax).

SP03 Oct 30, 2022 10:28 am

Originally Posted by friedablass (Post 34718445)

This is the terms according to Amex:

"Bookings must be made using an eligible Card and must be paid using that Card, or another American Express® Card, in the eligible Card Member's name, and that Card Member must be traveling on the itinerary booked."

The person whose name is on the card much be present at check in. That's the terms for FHR, but some hotels don't enforce it.

Kacee Oct 30, 2022 11:54 am

Originally Posted by SP03 (Post 34719310)
The person whose name is on the card much be present at check in. That's the terms for FHR, but some hotels don't enforce it. [/color]

Yep. You might get away with breaking the rule (which really could not be stated any more clearly), but I personally wouldn't risk it.

MaxVO Oct 30, 2022 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by SP03 (Post 34719310)
This is the terms according to Amex:
"Bookings must be made using an eligible Card and must be paid using that Card, or another American Express® Card, in the eligible Card Member's name, and that Card Member must be traveling on the itinerary booked."
The person whose name is on the card much be present at check in. That's the terms for FHR, but some hotels don't enforce it.

Some hotels? Even if hotels knew of those terms, let's see what they would require for such enforcement.
1). The travel agency must tell them which party paid for the service. That doesn't happen on routine basis due to bank privacy laws. Hotels can guess, but only know that it's a prepaid stay.
2). Hotels must be willing to deny service or eject a customer with a matching paid reservation. Sounds like a nightmare as well. Can anyone come up with a DP of that ever happening?

mia Oct 30, 2022 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO (Post 34719665)
....Even if hotels knew of those terms,.... Can anyone come up with a DP of that ever happening?

They are aware of the requirements. FHR is not a simple prepaid stay, there are features and benefits to administer which require training, and create awareness. There are examples of enforcement. Scroll back to post 14 and read forward.

SP03 Oct 30, 2022 1:47 pm

Some hotels? Even if hotels knew of those terms, let's see what they would require for such enforcement.
1). The travel agency must tell them which party paid for the service. That doesn't happen on routine basis due to bank privacy laws. Hotels can guess, but only know that it's a prepaid stay.
2). Hotels must be willing to deny service or eject a customer with a matching paid reservation. Sounds like a nightmare as well. Can anyone come up with a DP of that ever happening?

They don't have to deny service or eject any one but they don't have to provide the FHR benefits.

So realistically, there is no risk of getting the reservation not honored or not getting the $200 once a year credit. However, the hotel may not provide the extra perks associated with FHR such as a $100 credit or breakfast.

mia Oct 30, 2022 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by SP03 (Post 34719751)
So realistically, there is no risk of getting the reservation not honored.....

It does depend on the hotel's practices, and the individual working the desk, but it can happen. See this example where the hotel would not allow another name to be added to the reservation -and- would not allow the companion to check-in until the cardholder arrived...continue reading to at least post 606.

SP03 Oct 30, 2022 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 34719795)
It does depend on the hotel's practices, and the individual working the desk, but it can happen. See this example where the hotel would not allow another name to be added to the reservation -and- would not allow the companion to check-in until the cardholder arrived...continue reading to at least post 606.

In that example, he didn't add the second person to the reservation. He tried to add the second person with the hotel, but it wouldn't let him. When I said there's no risk of hotel not honoring the reservation, it is predicated on the name of the person showing up actually appear on the reservation as the second person. In that case, even if the Cardmember doesn't show up, the reservation should still be good. Then it's up to the hotel to honor the FHR benefit.

"To accomplish this, I chatted into the hotel via the Amex chat thing and got no answer for several days. So, today, I called the Wynn just to confirm there would be no issue. They told me my travel companion will have to wait in the lobby until I arrive, and there is nothing that can be done. Because Amex is a third party system, they cannot add the second person to the reservation. I want to reiterate that I have booked and paid for two people, and am just trying to insert a name into the currently blank space."

Kacee Oct 30, 2022 9:34 pm

Even if hotels knew of those terms

They absolutely know the terms. Try and give them a Visa rather than an Amex at check-in on an FHR reservation next time.

friedablass Oct 30, 2022 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by SP03 (Post 34719751)
They don't have to deny service or eject any one but they don't have to provide the FHR benefits.

So realistically, there is no risk of getting the reservation not honored or not getting the $200 once a year credit. However, the hotel may not provide the extra perks associated with FHR such as a $100 credit or breakfast.

I was not aware that part of the terms were that the card member had to be traveling on the itinerary.

I don't care not to get FHR benefits such as the $100 hotel credit, I only want to get the $200 credit on the card toward the room rate. But if the hotel might make an issue and insist that my parent is there to check in then I have to rethink doing this as by nature I'm not a risk taker.

friedablass Oct 30, 2022 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by staradmiral (Post 34102717)
Successfully booked FHR for someone else and completed stay by adding them an a platinum authorized user.
1. Add platinum authorized user
2. Authorized user can make their own amex online account and book their room in their name
3. The $200 amex travel credit was credited
4. Close the authorized user card. The $175 fee is refundable within 30 days of adding the AU.
5. enjoy your stay. The platinum card does not need to be open at the time of stay since it's prepaid.

Since this conversation was moved to another thread, I scrolled up and found this post.

So this seems like the safest strategy. I ask my parents to add me as a Plat user to their account, add the card to my login, book FHR, get the $200 credit, and close the card for a refund of the annual fee.