Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Booking two seats / extra seat for person or object (EXST, XTRASEAT)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Booking an extra seat on for POS (Persons Of Size) or other reasons
American Airlines sells adjacent seats for various reasons; the most common one is for persons of size who can't comfortably occupy a single "Main Cabin" (Economy) seat, though others might consider purchasing an extra seat for comfort or to protect items of exceptionally high value. This seat was referred to by AA as "XTRASEAT" or “EXST”, and this JOHN BROWN
EXST BROWN
is how it will reflect in some documentation. There is no discount for the second seat, which must be purchased in advance; walk up purchases of extra seats will incur full "walk up" fares, if available.

As these can not be booked online, calling will work best; no telephone service charge will be made.

The extra seat does not earn Elite Qualifying or Redeemable miles or earn extra baggage allowances, etc. EQ instruments can only be earned by the individual person occupying a seat on AA (not an empty seat, a "proxy passenger" or animal or inanimate object). In the example above, EXST BROWN will have no AAdvantage earnings.

Extra space during travel Link

For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
  • When you call to book, Reservations will make sure you get 2 adjacent seats at the same rate.
  • If you didn’t book an extra seat in advance, ask an airport agent to find out if 2 adjacent seats are available.
  • You may be offered a seat in a higher class of service that may provide more space; in this case, you’ll be responsible for the fare difference.
  • If accommodations can’t be made on your original flight, you can buy seats on a different flight at the same price as your original seats.
For the safety and comfort of all customers, if a customer’s body extends more than 1 inch beyond the outermost edge of the armrest and a seat belt extension is needed, another seat is required. We encourage customers to address all seating needs when booking.
Other reasons for purchasing extra seats would be for allowed musical instruments, objects of high value such as art works, or materials for human transplantation.
Print Wikipost

Booking two seats / extra seat for person or object (EXST, XTRASEAT)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP
It would be nice if they didn't add the fuel surcharge, since the seat reservation doesn't make the plane any heavier.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:25 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
For an extra seat, AA will charge you the same fare that you paid for the 1st seat, minus the taxes and fees. I believe that even if the current available fare is higher than the fare paid for the 1st seat, then you would still pay the amount that you paid for the 1st seat.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
The applicable adult fare, minus any Passenger Facilities Charges (PFCs), applies to the extra seat.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Travel...ale=de_DE#seat
Old Jun 20, 2011, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, FPC PLT, Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond
Has anyone ever travel AA codeshare flight on one world airlines with one AA award seat and one purchased extra seat?
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by 1stClassFamily
Has anyone ever travel AA codeshare flight on one world airlines with one AA award seat and one purchased extra seat?
Wouldn't you want to purchase the seat you were in and use the miles for the extra? Otherwise, no EQM?
Old Jun 21, 2011, 5:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, FPC PLT, Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond
Originally Posted by nkedel
Wouldn't you want to purchase the seat you were in and use the miles for the extra? Otherwise, no EQM?
That's true. I should use miles for get award extra seat. Will one world partner airline accept this and still give me the EQM and that extra seat?
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:53 pm

2 coach seats for 1 passenger

I really don't mind sitting in coach if no one is next to me. Can this easily be done with American .... Can a single passenger buy 2 seats for themselves?

How does mileage work for this too?
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
You can purchase two seats but you get miles for only one.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MikeTucson
I really don't mind sitting in coach if no one is next to me. Can this easily be done with American .... Can a single passenger buy 2 seats for themselves?

Yes, this can be done, but I believe you have to ticket with a telephone rep instead of on the internet. Some passengers are too large for one seat, so they must buy two seats for one passenger.

You would only get the same frequent flyer miles as if you bought one seat. No miles for the empty seat.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 5:30 am

Programs: AA EXP/CK 2M+
I was told a reservation agent must do it to keep the second seat from being cancelled as a duplicate booking.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:20 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by phil_flyer
I was told a reservation agent must do it to keep the second seat from being cancelled as a duplicate booking.
It may also ensure that they don't split the seats up at some point. Having a second seat 2 rows behind and across the aisle wouldn't do you much good.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:28 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver

On many routes - 2x the discount coach price will certainly be in the ballpark of discount F. Always keep that in mind
Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:48 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.2mm), SPG Plat, Accor Plat

Yes, I have done this. You need to book with an agent who will buy the second seat as a "Mr. Empty Seat" or something similar. On Jetblue I received miles for both seats, but on AA you'll only get miles for one.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador

Both of these questions have been asked (and answered) before...many times. A quick search using "extra seat" as the search terms throws up this thread as the first hit.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
I really don't mind sitting in coach if no one is next to me...
Count me in as someone who would rather have more shoulder room than leg room. I'm more than okay with paying a premium for 2-2 on a narrow body with 32" of leg room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.