Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Award: Cathay Pacific / CX availability, etc. (2018-2022 archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 19, 2014, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Awards: All Cathay Pacific / CX (Including First and Business Class)
Questions, Availability, Discussion

NOTE: Multiple reports starting in June 2021 that CX is allowing only a 24 hour hold and could cancel reservations not being ticketed beyond 24 hours.

Please feel free to use this thread for questions regarding CX Economy, Premium Economy, First and Business Class award redemption using AAdvantage miles, as well as questions regarding award availability, routings and related issues. Please go to the Cathay Pacific Asia Miles Forum to discuss or ask about meals, equipment, service, etc. on CX, as there is an existing wealth of information there - and this is the American Airlines AAdvantage Forum .

AA Flight award chart for oneworld® and partner airlines

Other related threads that may be of interest:

FT Discrepancy between CX Award Search and AA availability: Discrepancy between QF and CX award search and AA availability

FT How , When to Select CX Seats on CX Award: How / when to select seat on a Cathay (CX) award / flight (consolidated)

FT Cathay Pacific Experience - Seats / Interline/ Baggage FAQs: Cathay Pacific Experience / Seats / Interline / Baggage FAQs

Also, for Rules about awards, see AA oneworld and Other Airline Partner Award information, rules (2015 on).

Expert Advice:

Only "MileSAAver" awards apply to oneworld and AA partners.
Premium Economy seats are not available with AAdvantage awards, may be soon as AA sells Premium Economy Feb 2017.

Be aware that what you see on the BA, JL, or QF sites may not be visible to the AA reservations folks. You may want to note the flight on which the F award seat is shown as "available" on those sites and if the AA agent doesn't see any availability suggest that the AA agent check that specific one again. If the AA agent still cannot see it, thank them, hang up, and call back a little later.

Sometimes CX will make flights available for award booking to CX frequent flyers, but not release the seats immediately for other oneworld frequent flyers. Usually though, the seats, if not taken by CX frequent flyers, are released after a while to other OW programs.

Although CX may release seats for award earlier, AA can book them no more than 331 days prior to departure. The awards that CX does release are available as early as 355 days prior to departure for CX and BA frequent fliers, and sometimes that means the awards you want w AA miles will be snatched up prior to the 331 day mark.

*** AA does not have a set schedule to load flights. They can load it anytime after midnight 331 days out. Most of the time it is within a couple to 12 hours of that. Other times, it can be a full day or a day and a half afterwards, especially on the weekends where there's most variability. Unlike JL award space, it is not a specific time of day.

4Keep in mind that when booking eastbound space to North America that it's one day later in HKG so that space usually becomes available 330 days in advance to North America; this is not always true, since CX has already loaded the availability a month prior to AA - it is just up to AA to load and release the seats on SABRE, so it typically ends up being 330 days out, but not necessarily.

Similarly... if you are trying to book westbound, US->HKG->Somewhere then AA may not be able to book the HKG->Somewhere segment 331 days in advance of the US->HKG flight, if it is still 332 days out in HKG. As it is the flights from US->HKG that are hardest to get, if you find a seat US->HKG at the 331 day mark when it is first available for booking through AA but cannot book the continuation, you can just put that US->HKG segment on hold with AA, then call back the next day when connecting flights will be loaded into the system to try to book the onward flight from HKG.

AA does not charge "YQ" surcharges [what they sometimes call "fuel surcharge"] on CX award segments (BA Avios does), thus the taxes and fees on your "free" ticket on CX or KA are almost always significantly less than for the same routing on BA.

There is a Hong Kong Departure Tax (HK) of $120 HKD (approx $15.50 USD) on every segment departing Hong Kong. Exemptions apply. If your ticket includes this tax and you qualify for an exemption, a refund can be applied for either in person at HKIA landside or via post to Civil Aviation Department. AA charges this tax for children under 12 years of age despite the exemption. In order to obtain a cash refund at HKIA, you will need passenger passport, passenger boarding pass, passenger ticket receipt showing the fare calculation line which will show the HK tax being charged. This receipt can be obtained at any AA counter worldwide including HKIA as well as Airport Express in-town check-in (AA check-in). As the AA counter at HKIA operates only during limited hours, Airport Express in-town check-in would be the the convenient option.

Not all CX flights offer First class; CX Business is markedly different on long haul and regionally configured aircraft.

If you're looking for multiple seats in First on a particular flight but can find only some but not all that you're looking for, take what's available in F, then take the rest of the seats you want on J (if available) on the same flight, and check back periodically to see if an F seat has opened up for award. There is no additional charge (in money, although there will be in miles) to change to an award to a higher cabin of service (e.g., J to F, Y to F, Y to J) as long as the award keeps the same origin/destination airports.

Be aware your award must conform to some rules on a) MPM (Maximum Permitted Mileage - your award routing can not exceed 125% of the most direct routing available); a useful tool is Great Circle Mapper.

The Most Significant Carrier (transpacific usually, CX in most of these posts,) must offer a non-"constructed" fare between your origin and destination (you might find an unconstructed fare between DFW and SIN, but might not from Killeen to SIN).

If you can't pick your CX seats online, either due to them being blocked or you just want to call, you need to first get the CX PNR from AAdvantage at 1-800-882-8880. Then call CX at 1-800-233-2742. Some seats that are blocked on CX website are assignable via AA reservations. Close to departure AA can even assign 2A, 2K.

Note: if the Cathay Manage booking tool doesn't appear to recognize your CX PNR, you need to enter your first name AND middle name, separated by a space, in the "First Name" field.

AAward bookings containing CX flights that are put on hold will be restricted to only 24hrs, not the usual 5 days.

Frequently Asked Questions
What are the patterns for west coast routes?
Because LAX has 4 daily flights to HKG, it tends to be the easiest option for blocks of 3 or more J award seats. SFO and YVR only have 2 daily flights and even if 5 award seats were initially released at 355 days prior to departure, some of those may be gone by the time the 331 day mark rolls around. If you need 4 or 5 J award seats on these west coast routes, either use Avios to book at 355 days or consider routing through LAX where there may still be availability at 331 days out.

Can I visit my companion in First Class if I'm in Business Class?
"Up-cabin visits" are not permitted per CX policy, though have been granted under special circumstances. But putting crew in the awkward position of being asked to violate policy is generally frowned upon. Down-cabin visits are permitted ex-USA. However, on flights to the USA, down-cabin visits are not permitted and this rule is vigorously enforced.

Posts made in 2017 may be read in ARCHIVE: 2017 AA Awards in Cathay Pacific / CX, KA...

Posts made in 2016 may be read in ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2016).

Posts made in 2015 may be read in ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015).

Posts made in 2014 may be read in ARCHIVE: Awards: CX / Cathay Pacific / (inc. F and J) - 2014.

N.B. Older posts have been moved and archived to: Cathay Pacific / CX (inc. First and Business Class) award - ARCHIVED.
Print Wikipost

AA Award: Cathay Pacific / CX availability, etc. (2018-2022 archive)

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by greenteamuimui
Want to redeeming AA miles and have a few questions...

Thinking about redeeming some miles for this itin and saw that it only takes 85k asia miles using the Asia Miles award calculator

SFO - HKG Cathay business (with a 6-day stop over in hk)
HKG - DUB Cathay business

Wanted to confirm that I cannot do the same redemption with aa miles....

Thanks!
Incorrect info
85k is not the right AM you need in your itin.

1. 85k is the standard awards for AM from SFO to DUB, via LHR by BA, for example(AA Savver equivalent)
2. Your stopover is in a different region from the final destination. Even though AM allows stopover, it will be treated as two one-way. As such, the correct price is 65k X 2 = 130K AM for standard awards.
3. Tailor awards (AA Anytime equivalent) - 195k AM.

AA, OTOH, will cost you 145k AA miles for J, if CX has availability. However, AA is not partner with EI but CX is, so if HKG - DUB is not available on CX but available on EI, CX could still issue the award ticket.

Please refer to AM rules:
https://www.asiamiles.com/en/terms-a...onditions.html

Last edited by andersonCooper; May 9, 2019 at 3:54 am
Old May 8, 2019, 11:13 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by andersonCooper

1. 85k is the standard awards for AM from SFO to DUB, via LHR by BA, for example(AA Savver equivalent)
2. Your stopover is in a different region from the final destination. Even though AM allows stopover, it will be treated as two one-way. As such, the correct price is 65k X 2 = 130K AM for standard awards.
3. Tailor awards (AA Anytime equivalent) - 195k AM.

AA, OTOH, will cost you 145k AA miles for J, if CX has availability. However, AA is not partner with EI but CX is, so if HKG - DUB is not available on CX but available on EI, CX could still issue the award ticket.

Please refer to AM rules:
https://www.asiamiles.com/en/terms-a...onditions.html
This is incorrect - SFO-HKG-DUB using CX miles with or without stopover at HKG will cost 85k AM - there is no restriction on where the stopover is as long as the origin and destination are in different countries. EI also does not operate HKG-DUB

In fact i just redeemed FRA-HKG-LHR for 85k AM, good value
Old May 8, 2019, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA, AS

Nice guess, but wrong. 75k for SFO-DUB via LHR on BA.
Not correct for the given itin based on the Asia Miles calculator.
I am not seeing the rule that you refer to that says a stopover in a different region than the final destination is not allowed on a single award. Where are you seeing this? The Asia Miles calculator as greenteamuimui mentions is clear that SFO-HKG (stop) HKG-DUB on CX is 85k miles. Do you think the calculator is wrong?
Old May 9, 2019, 3:53 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
This is incorrect - SFO-HKG-DUB using CX miles with or without stopover at HKG will cost 85k AM - there is no restriction on where the stopover is as long as the origin and destination are in different countries. EI also does not operate HKG-DUB

In fact i just redeemed FRA-HKG-LHR for 85k AM, good value
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Nice guess, but wrong. 75k for SFO-DUB via LHR on BA.

Not correct for the given itin based on the Asia Miles calculator.

I am not seeing the rule that you refer to that says a stopover in a different region than the final destination is not allowed on a single award. Where are you seeing this? The Asia Miles calculator as greenteamuimui mentions is clear that SFO-HKG (stop) HKG-DUB on CX is 85k miles. Do you think the calculator is wrong?
Thanks for the correction - will edit the original posts. Misunderstand one of the one-way conditions on origin and final destination countries. Thanks for pointing out again.
Old May 9, 2019, 8:30 am

Thanks for the correction - will edit the original posts. Misunderstand one of the one-way conditions on origin and final destination countries. Thanks for pointing out again.
Thanks, this will hopefully help folks understand how the program works. I have a hard time following the terms and conditions myself. The round-trip portion was especially hard to follow, so much so that since I wasn't interested in a round-trip at this point I skipped over most of that. Many parts could be presented much more clearly. There appears to be a separate "chart" for British Airways awards but I was not able to locate the BA chart so it may not even be published and possibly the only way to tell what the cost is would be to use the Asia Miles calculator or do a dummy booking. Not very transparent but this seems to be the way many programs are going these days
Old May 9, 2019, 9:56 pm

I am trying to book a CX/QF award from Bkk-Mel via Sin. According to the QF & BA sites, there is availability in J Bkk-Sin and F Sin-Mel. However AA cannot see any availability for the CX flight. When I search just the single leg from Bkk-Sin, there is no availability on either BA.com or QF, only as a combined itinerary. Is there any way to make AA see this leg-I've called twice now and no luck. The seats are definitely bookable on Ba.com as I have gone through to the payment page-just do not want to waste 200K avios.
Old May 9, 2019, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by riced
I am trying to book a CX/QF award from Bkk-Mel via Sin. According to the QF & BA sites, there is availability in J Bkk-Sin and F Sin-Mel. However AA cannot see any availability for the CX flight. When I search just the single leg from Bkk-Sin, there is no availability on either BA.com or QF, only as a combined itinerary. Is there any way to make AA see this leg-I've called twice now and no luck. The seats are definitely bookable on Ba.com as I have gone through to the payment page-just do not want to waste 200K avios.
Married segments at its best. CX BKK-SIN is only available when married with another compatible segment like QF SIN-MEL. Since AA is the king of married segments it should be easy for any competent agent to book this (I would think). Either tell the agent to search for married segment availability, or, if they are not that smart and cannot handle it, cold call an agent and ask to check availability from BKK-MEL without mentioning anything about connecting in SIN and without feeding them any flight numbers and hopefully this will search married segments and pull up the flights you want.
Old May 10, 2019, 3:57 am

Married segments at its best. CX BKK-SIN is only available when married with another compatible segment like QF SIN-MEL. Since AA is the king of married segments it should be easy for any competent agent to book this (I would think). Either tell the agent to search for married segment availability, or, if they are not that smart and cannot handle it, cold call an agent and ask to check availability from BKK-MEL without mentioning anything about connecting in SIN and without feeding them any flight numbers and hopefully this will search married segments and pull up the flights you want.
Called a third time and asked for the married segment availability and still told no seats. I don't get it...do BA and QF availability not align with AA anymore? I am totally frustrated, but not ready to give up just yet. Any further suggestions???? By the way, CX has virtually nothing available later this year (intra-Asia/Australia). It was unheard of not to have seats on CX619 in the past. And I don't mean just 2 seats in J...sometimes there were 9 available.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:06 pm

Called a third time and asked for the married segment availability and still told no seats. I don't get it...do BA and QF availability not align with AA anymore? I am totally frustrated, but not ready to give up just yet. Any further suggestions???? By the way, CX has virtually nothing available later this year (intra-Asia/Australia). It was unheard of not to have seats on CX619 in the past. And I don't mean just 2 seats in J...sometimes there were 9 available.
Did you try my other suggestion? Call in again and ask to check availability from BKK-MEL without mentioning anything about connecting in SIN and without feeding them any flight numbers and hopefully this will search married segments and pull up the flights you want.

ETA:
The only other thing that comes to mind that might be affecting results is if AA has a problem searching married segments in this case because their programming mishandles F class married segments.

Hmm, another idea came to me. Find another married itinerary on CX that has availability with the first segment the one you want and book it. E.g., book BKK-SIN-HKG on CX in J (other routes to try, BKK-SIN-KUL, BKK-SIN-CMB, possibly BKK-(CX)-SIN-(AA)-U.S.A.). Within 24 hours call to change for free and replace the SIN-HKG with SIN-MEL in F. That way they cannot tell you there is no space on BKK-SIN because you already have it. They can search SIN-MEL and see it is available. If they cannot marry them together they have a problem they need to figure out.

ETA 2:
Perhaps try the AA Australian reservation number?

Last edited by skimthetrees; May 10, 2019 at 12:40 pm
Old May 10, 2019, 4:09 pm

Did you try my other suggestion? Call in again and ask to check availability from BKK-MEL without mentioning anything about connecting in SIN and without feeding them any flight numbers and hopefully this will search married segments and pull up the flights you want.

ETA:
The only other thing that comes to mind that might be affecting results is if AA has a problem searching married segments in this case because their programming mishandles F class married segments.

Hmm, another idea came to me. Find another married itinerary on CX that has availability with the first segment the one you want and book it. E.g., book BKK-SIN-HKG on CX in J (other routes to try, BKK-SIN-KUL, BKK-SIN-CMB, possibly BKK-(CX)-SIN-(AA)-U.S.A.). Within 24 hours call to change for free and replace the SIN-HKG with SIN-MEL in F. That way they cannot tell you there is no space on BKK-SIN because you already have it. They can search SIN-MEL and see it is available. If they cannot marry them together they have a problem they need to figure out.

ETA 2:

This. Call and ask for BKK-MEL availability in F. Same thing happened to me when I was booking BOS-HKG. Available routing found on Qantas is BOS-NRT-HKG on JL (married segment, not available if searched by separate legs). First call to AA - I fed them the flight numbers, agent saw no seats available. HUCA a couple times, then i just told the agent i want to get from BOS to HKG, tell me what is available. Then voila, the JL flights are there.
Old May 10, 2019, 5:15 pm

ETA:

ETA 2:
All three calls were to the Australian reservation number. They seemed clueless-like the comment 'Cathay doesn't release seats to AA that far out.' I am thinking about calling the Hong Kong call center, maybe they can figure out CX availability. But I'll also try another married itinerary. I think Bkk-Per would work too.
Old May 10, 2019, 9:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
All three calls were to the Australian reservation number. They seemed clueless-like the comment 'Cathay doesn't release seats to AA that far out.' I am thinking about calling the Hong Kong call center, maybe they can figure out CX availability. But I'll also try another married itinerary. I think Bkk-Per would work too.
The comment that ‘Cathay doesn’t release seats to AA that far out’ is a bit confusing. Can I ask what date you are looking for?
Old May 11, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: Free agent
Traveling to SE Asia over Christmas/NY for the first time this year, we usually only go during shoulder season. I was luckily able to snag four business class seats on Cathay ex-US (and amazingly the domestic connection) arriving at 5:15am in HKG, plenty of time to catch any of the morning bank of flights. My problem is that OW has ZERO award seats, even economy to ANY destination in SE Asia for our arrival day. SIN, BKK, DAD, SGN, KUL, CGK, HKT, etc. They did actually have ONE economy seat to KUL on Malaysia and ONE economy seat from HKG-BKK on Royal Jordanian. Looking at ExpertFlyer it seems that all discount inventory is gone, but it’s 7/9 across the board in all full fare classes, and the seat maps on most flights are 90% empty.

I know this time of year is a bit different than others, is there any pattern to releasing awards as the flights get closer over the holidays or is that just wishful thinking? We are fairly flexible where we end up in the area, especially if SIN/BKK/KUL as we can get easy flights from there to wherever we’d want to go.
Old May 11, 2019, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by jmail1
Traveling to SE Asia over Christmas/NY for the first time this year, we usually only go during shoulder season. I was luckily able to snag four business class seats on Cathay ex-US (and amazingly the domestic connection) arriving at 5:15am in HKG, plenty of time to catch any of the morning bank of flights. My problem is that OW has ZERO award seats, even economy to ANY destination in SE Asia for our arrival day. SIN, BKK, DAD, SGN, KUL, CGK, HKT, etc. They did actually have ONE economy seat to KUL on Malaysia and ONE economy seat from HKG-BKK on Royal Jordanian. Looking at ExpertFlyer it seems that all discount inventory is gone, but it’s 7/9 across the board in all full fare classes, and the seat maps on most flights are 90% empty.

I know this time of year is a bit different than others, is there any pattern to releasing awards as the flights get closer over the holidays or is that just wishful thinking? We are fairly flexible where we end up in the area, especially if SIN/BKK/KUL as we can get easy flights from there to wherever we’d want to go.
Are you searching married segments. CX is restricting a lot of the space on Asia connections to married segments. To be clear, there may not be much space for partners period, but if there is any in that range currently it may be restricted to married segments at this point. At some point it will be available unmarried later. Search [US gateway]-BKK/SIN/WHATEVER and see what comes up. If you find something AA should be able to marry it to your existing CX HKG flight.
Old May 11, 2019, 10:43 am

It's been a while since I've had to do this, so I'd appreciate some confirmation. I've got on hold:

LAX-SFO (AA)
SFO-HKG (CX)

If LAX-HKG opens up on CX (and i'm sure it will) I can change to that for free with AA award, correct? Even if it's two different metals? I think I'm confusing ANA with AA rules. I believe, with AA, as long as the departure and arrival city stay the same, you can change flights, (within the rules as well, less than 24 hour connection, etc).

Thanks so much!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.