Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How / when to select seat on a Cathay (CX) award / flight (consolidated)

Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
To get your CX Record Locator, call AA.

FAQ Page from Cathay website: http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_H...-requests.html

Info from the site (as of 15 June):

Who is eligible to request a seat?
The following customers can request a seat in advance

- Members of The Marco Polo Club (Silver tier or above) and oneworld Ruby tier members or above
- All First and Business Class passengers
- Customers holding tickets on eligible fare types Y, B, H, K, L, M, V, W, R, E, T

Customers requiring special services cannot request a seat online. Please raise your request at the time of booking.
How do I request my seat?
You can request your seat at Manage Booking.

Simply log in and select Service Requests > Seat. You can select your preferred seat on the interactive seat map. Your request will be processed and confirmed immediately.
When can I request my seat?
You can request your seat via Manage Booking anytime up to 55 hours prior to flight departure. If you want to request your seat afterwards, you can only do so via Online Check-In.
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 4, 2009, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond

Hi, bought tickets from TPE - HKG using AA miles on CX, but cannot select seats, have called the Plat desk a couple of times, they haven't been able to either. Anyone have this same issue or know of possible resolutions or alternate methods to try?

Thanks,

<removed outdated mod note>

Last edited by JY1024; Jun 15, 2015 at 7:59 am Reason: removed outdated mod note
Old Aug 4, 2009, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by aaflyer1
Hi, bought tickets from TPE - HKG using AA miles on CX, but cannot select seats, have called the Plat desk a couple of times, they haven't been able to either. Anyone have this same issue or know of possible resolutions or alternate methods to try?

Thanks,
Yes, call AA and get the 5 digit CX Record Loactor.
Then call CX.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 4:31 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
zman's suggestion is the best bet.

I've had issues with this also, and it's usually because AA can only request seats from CX within 180 days of the flight.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DIA, IC RA
Yes, for some reason AA is not able to assign seats on some regional CX flights, just call CX. CX will also unblock seats for you if you have status, AA can't do that either.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA 2MM
All good advice but, as JY1024 posts, CX opens seat selection only 6 months out.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by MDSD
All good advice but, as JY1024 posts, CX opens seat selection only 6 months out.
The OP did not say when his flights were
Old Aug 5, 2009, 1:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1.5MM, AC
Strange. I just booked award flights LAX-HKG-MNL for October and was able to get seat assignments. Booked with EXP desk. Haven't tried to change the seats, though, so don't know how difficult that will be.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 5:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MDSD
This is not true at all. I was able to get seats on CX F HKG/YYZ in Dec 08 for Oct 09 flights and ALSO when I rebooked as HKG/SFO in March 09 for the same Oct 16th date.
Both were booked with AA.

mike
Old Aug 5, 2009, 5:37 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MIKESILV
This is not true at all. I was able to get seats on CX F HKG/YYZ in Dec 08 for Oct 09 flights and ALSO when I rebooked as HKG/SFO in March 09 for the same Oct 16th date.
Both were booked with AA.

mike
Did AA assign the seats or did you request them through CX?

As far as I know CX do not assign seats further than six months out. You can request a seat and they have some system in place that will assign the seat to you at the 6 month point.

In my experience if I select a seat greater than six months out the seat map on EF will not show me in the seat. However once the 6 month date appears the seat maps change to show it as actually being occupied.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 7:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Moomba
Did AA assign the seats or did you request them through CX?

As far as I know CX do not assign seats further than six months out. You can request a seat and they have some system in place that will assign the seat to you at the 6 month point.

In my experience if I select a seat greater than six months out the seat map on EF will not show me in the seat. However once the 6 month date appears the seat maps change to show it as actually being occupied.
I reserved the seats over the phone with AA.

I will point out however that checking the reservations on-line at aa.com it shows the seats as "unassigned" but a follow-up call to them confirmed that they show us having the seats were originally told we given.

It could be some sort of anomaly with Sabre or whatever interface AA and/or CX is using because I encountered a similar problem with two JAL flights on the same itinerary.

mike
Old Aug 5, 2009, 8:47 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
CX only assigns seats 6 months out. You can check your seat assignments at Cathay Pacific at this link: http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...anagemybooking

You will need your CX confirmation number which you can get from AA reservations.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 10:09 am

Programs: AA PLT MM
(Slightly OT thread hijack)

What's the best strategy to secure Y exit rows on a purchased AA codeshare on CX (AA6073/AA6086, JFK-HKG-JFK) for this November?

I've read that CX is very good about letting OW Sapphires select these seats, hence the reason I did not go the NRT route. Just not sure on the codeshares if the best approach is to call AA or CX.

Its my first time in the back on CX (ahh, those cutbacks and cost saving ideas ... you gotta love them) and some of these things are all brand new again.

... and yes, I could have the answer with 2 calls, but then how would everyone here fill their time?

Last edited by plasticman; Aug 5, 2009 at 10:43 am Reason: added travel dates
Old Aug 5, 2009, 11:47 am
JTK

Programs: AAdvantage EP
CX Seats

I snagged F seats on JFK/HKG flights but AA could not assign seats but only request them. I did this with the Expat desk and they said that CX would have the assignment listed in 24 hours. Looked up my reservation on AA the next day and my seats were there. If you go to the CX website with the CX PNR you can view your seats but not change them or update your information. For that it requires the 10 digit ticket number (not the AA 001 number the CX 160 number) to unlock your record. That I don't know how to obtain and since my seats were what I wanted did not investigate.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 11:48 am

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by Kinsale
Strange. I just booked award flights LAX-HKG-MNL for October and was able to get seat assignments. Booked with EXP desk. Haven't tried to change the seats, though, so don't know how difficult that will be.
I was able to change seats about a month out, LAX-HKG-CEB....no status on AA nor CX.

Of course, I may be able to change them again at the 48-hour check-in.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 12:23 am

Programs: AA EXP / 2MM, BAEC GGL, CCR, Marriott AMB
Originally Posted by JTK
I snagged F seats on JFK/HKG flights but AA could not assign seats but only request them. I did this with the Expat desk and they said that CX would have the assignment listed in 24 hours. Looked up my reservation on AA the next day and my seats were there. If you go to the CX website with the CX PNR you can view your seats but not change them or update your information. For that it requires the 10 digit ticket number (not the AA 001 number the CX 160 number) to unlock your record. That I don't know how to obtain and since my seats were what I wanted did not investigate.
Flying CX F using AA miles this week. For me, ExecPlat desk could only 'request' seats - they told me 1A and 1K were taken and requested 2K for me. However I managed to login to my booking on the CX website and sure enough 1K was available so I chose that.

No problems in changing seats online without the ticket number, however I noticed that some of the other functionality (special meals etc) required the ticker # (which is actually given on the AA E-Ticket confirmation email).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.