Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: Infant / lap child fares & fees for AA travel, including award & upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2014, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Infant and lap child fares and fees on international travel, including award & upgrades

N.B.: This thread is restricted to discussion of AA (and AA awards, upgrades) ticketing rules for infants. Please do not use this thread to discuss opinions on safety issues associated with travel with lap children versus infants with their own purchased seats. Those discussions should be carried out in the

Travel with Children forum, where many opinions have been shared and are welcome. Thank you for your cooperation.
On AA there is no charge for a lap child on domestic flights. In most instances for international travel the cost will be 10% of the adult fare in the cabin of travel (be aware in some instances / on some other airlines, it can be 25% of the cost of an adult ticket). From aa.com:

Are you traveling with an infant?

Passengers are considered infants if aged over 2 days and less than 2 years at the beginning of their journey. To travel with an infant, you must be an adult passenger aged 16 or older. Adults can travel with up to two infants and in these circumstances, can purchase an additional seat at a child fare.

Although infants can travel as early as 2 days after birth, you'll need to provide a medical certificate for infants traveling within 7 days after birth. Please contact Reservations for more information.

On U.S. domestic flights:

Infants not occupying a seat travel for free. If you prefer to book a seat for your infant, a child fare will apply.

You must call AA on the phone to add a lap infant to an existing reservation. The lap infant will NOT appear in the online reservation and receipt.

Travelers with a lap infant may check in online, for domestic flights only, and the boarding pass will be annotated with the words "WITH INFANT" immediately after the traveler's name.

On international flights:

Infants not occupying a seat benefit from a 90% discount on most adult fares

If your infant turns 2 during your trip, we'll provide you with a complimentary seat on the return flight. If the return journey is not on American Airlines, please contact the other airline to check if a seat must be purchased. (Infants and children must provide passports with any required visas; all children not traveling with both parents may be required to have a Letter of Consent signed by both parents.)

You must call AA on the phone to add a lap infant to an existing reservation, and will need to pay the fare at that time. The lab infant and fare WILL appear in the online reservation and receipt.

Travelers with a lap infant may NOT check in online for international flights and must check in at the airport.

NOTE: AA will not generally block a complimentary spare seat to be used by an infant or lap child. If seats are available at the airport, it might be possible to be assigned seating to include an adjacent empty seat if the flight will depart with sufficient empty seats.

Bassinets: These are portable, not bulkhead fastened, floor bassinet boxes. Not all aircraft may offer these, and generally are restricted to bulkhead seats.

See the bassinet thread here."]here.

See more here on aa.com.

For AA policies on required documentation for children, see here.

and

This thread regarding the use - and prohibition, on some aircraft - child safety seats.

For older threads on this topic, see:

Print Wikipost

Guide: Infant / lap child fares & fees for AA travel, including award & upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:45 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by justcome
I am planning a trip of ORD-CUN with an infant. Will adding a lap child to my ticket impact my chance of upgrade (I am a Plat Pro)? Or shall I wait until the 72hr window before I add the infant ticket (upgrade or not)?

I checked ITA, and it looks like the 10% for this route is actually a $0 base + tax in both economy and business, so does that mean even if I get upgraded, the infant ticket won't see a price hike?

TIA.
I was upgraded on PHL-YYZ with a lap infant at least once. I think I included the lap infant at booking. No trouble and no additional fees. It was also a $0 + taxes infant fare. That F cabin went out with an empty seat (in which we were able to place the infant in a car seat), so no idea where we were on the upgrade list or if the lap infant affected our position, but I saw no indication that it did.

I was Plat traveling with a no-status adult companion and the lap infant. It was under 500 miles so no stickers involved anyway.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by justcome
I am planning a trip of ORD-CUN with an infant. Will adding a lap child to my ticket impact my chance of upgrade (I am a Plat Pro)? Or shall I wait until the 72hr window before I add the infant ticket (upgrade or not)?

I checked ITA, and it looks like the 10% for this route is actually a $0 base + tax in both economy and business, so does that mean even if I get upgraded, the infant ticket won't see a price hike?

TIA.
Complimentary upgrades of an adult with a lap child on such route result in no price hike.

There is generally no lap child ticket price based reason to wait to add the lap child for this kind of route; and my suggestion would be to get the lap child ticket for such route issued as soon as possible and well before going to the airport. Getting this lap child ticketing stuff done at the airport on day of departure is just a hassle way too often.

The times when adding a lap child to a ticketed booking may hurt with upgrades is when there are inadequate oxygen masks for the available row/seats in the premium cabin. But that isn’t a lap child ticket price issue. But it may be a reason to wait until upgrade clears to add the lap child to the booking.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The times when adding a lap child to a ticketed booking may hurt with upgrades is when there are inadequate oxygen masks for the available row/seats in the premium cabin. But that isn’t a lap child ticket price issue. But it may be a reason to wait until upgrade clears to add the lap child to the booking.
Are there any cases where that's the case? On a normal 3x3 mainline narrowbody (such as would fly ORD-CUN), doesn't every row-side have at least 3 oxygen masks, even up front where there are only two seats per row-side? The only case I can see this being an issue is planes where there are the same number of seats on a side in F as in Y, eg MD-80s on the side with 2 in Y and E170/E190-series planes on the side with 2 in F. But even in those cases I though most planes have one extra mask so a lap infant can be in any row even in coach. So you'd only run into an issue if there are two lap infants in the same half row.

(This is a genuine question; I don't know.)
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:20 pm

Thank you all!
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Am I correct to assume that AA would be issuing the infant ticket when booking an AA award on QR? The agent claimed I needed to contact QR to issue the infant ticket. Does that sound correct / is there some special exception when it comes to awards on QR or did I just get a bad agent? (route would be IAD-DOH-HAN one-way in case it makes a difference)

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Am I correct to assume that AA would be issuing the infant ticket when booking an AA award on QR? The agent claimed I needed to contact QR to issue the infant ticket. Does that sound correct / is there some special exception when it comes to awards on QR or did I just get a bad agent? (route would be IAD-DOH-HAN one-way in case it makes a difference)

Thanks in advance!
I can't tell you what is "correct" here, except to say that I had real trouble getting either airline to decide who needed to issue the infant ticket when I had this situation last year on AA and QF. Initial positions were that AA "couldn't" do it because they "couldn't see the fare", and QF wouldn't do it because it was an AA ticket and they didn't want to issue a separate QF ticket. After several calls to both, QF did it. Every other time I've done it, the airline issuing the adult ticket issued the infant ticket, and charged the operating carriers rate.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:44 pm

What happens if a lap child/infant is added to the reservation but ends up not traveling? Does it impact the parent's ticket in any way?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jgroll57
What happens if a lap child/infant is added to the reservation but ends up not traveling? Does it impact the parent's ticket in any way?
No major show-stopper or problem in my experience with that, other than there are circumstances where it could mean you need to check-in with the airline at the airport to get the boarding passes. Not sure how it messes around with any physical in-flight passenger count done by the airline, but that's not a show-stopper either in my experience.

If you're asking about a lap-child inclusion in a ticketed reservation so as to check in fee-free items for a lap child that won't be on the flight and whether the airline will come back to you after the bag tags are issued and attached to the bag, what I will say is that I recall most such tags coming in the name of one of the seated passengers in the reservations.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jasper2009

Thanks in advance!
Earlier this year, for AA-issued award tickets for QR flights from the EU to Asia (and to some other places), we got QR-issued tickets for the lap children by doing so at the QR departure airports -- airports where QR contracts out to ticketing/ground handling agents that handle matters for a variety of airlines. But if you have the choice and opportunity of an airport with QR ticketing facilities -- contracted out or otherwise -- I would suggest doing this when you have plenty of time on hand before the flight. Trying to do this stuff within 2 hours (or less) of departure can be a very risky approach, whether trying to do it on the phone or in person. At least in person, once the lap child ticket is issued, the confidence level that there won't be issues at check-in rises very substantially.

QR at IAD should be able to do much the same.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: Aer Lingus, United, Virgin Atlantic, Qatar
Infant LAP/SEAT

So I am asking here and a couple of the other airline forums so forgive the duplication. (AA/United/Delta)

I am looking at going to the US from Ireland with the wife and child.

Child is 1 year old so does qualify for the lap and bassinet. Small problem is that child is on the tall side. Thats my fault, I am 6'8" so he is a big boy for someone that is 13 months old.

If I book 2 adult tickets and infant on lap will I be restricted to just that or will I (a) get the bassinet or (b) be moved to a row of 3 subject to availability. I don't fancy being on the row of 2 not the AA A332 with a lap child for 7 hours. Booking a seat for an infant is only about €100 less than full fare.

I ask because Qatar have moved us to a row of 3 when we asked at the airport.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
A paid lap child must be able to sit on an adult lap, or if a bassinet is available, there. As AA has had to cancel 115 (of 7,000) daily flights and we’re closer to high season, it may be (remotely, I suspect) possible three seats for two could be available upon check in at the airport or at the gate, but AA will certainly not book three seats for two adults and a lap child with the third seat gratis. (I doubt any airline would do this.)

I’d check Aer Lingus for availability - you might find a better fare. But no, I don’t think you’ll get three reserved seats together here, either. As you found with Qatar, you might get accommodated at the gate if there’s space available, but I’d not count on it.
Old May 7, 2019, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
aa.com/the app won't let me OLCI for an intl flight as it claims I have a lap infant, which I most certainly do not.

Odd.
Old May 7, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by Antarius
aa.com/the app won't let me OLCI for an intl flight as it claims I have a lap infant, which I most certainly do not.

Odd.
You probably ended up with one of mine -

It’s a new upgrade strategy in which I ask to add the little EnPremieres to the highest elites on the list in hopes that even if I don’t clear, at least they will
Old May 8, 2019, 6:58 am

Does anyone know if it is possible to pay for the ticket for an unborn infant?

Wife is due in September and want to go to the UK in December. Is it possible to pay the 10% now, when the prices are lower? Or will I need to wait until kiddo is born? Thanks
Old May 8, 2019, 7:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ChrisHubbard
Does anyone know if it is possible to pay for the ticket for an unborn infant?

Wife is due in September and want to go to the UK in December. Is it possible to pay the 10% now, when the prices are lower? Or will I need to wait until kiddo is born? Thanks
You cannot book the ticket before the child is born

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.