10% for Infant Fare on AA??!! (Paid fare)

Old Feb 23, 2008, 9:02 am
Original Poster

10% for Infant Fare on AA??!! (Paid fare)

So I booked two first class awards from DFW to EZE. We have a child who will be less than 2 when we travel in December. To my shock I learned I have to pay 10% of the cabin fare (thats about $1700!). American Does not disclose international policy for children under 2 in their website and the first time I booked and asked they did not say anything about a 10% charge. Today (the agent who was very attentive heard my little one in the background) and told me about this policy I was obviously unpleasantly surprised.

Has anyone ever figured out a way around this? I looked into Business class awards but there are no business seats available.

Would a call to customer service help reduce this fee? or a nasty letter?

Any pointers would help.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by rsiewczynski
Nope. 10% lap child fee is standard for international flights on most (if not all) carriers.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 9:21 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
I've never had to fly internationally with an infant, but this does sound familiar. I think its a pretty standard rule. I did look up the fare rules for a first class ticket DFW-EZE and both American and the generic IATA rules list this condition.

Writing a nasty letter won't get you anywhere, for sure. That is definitely a lot money for an infant but it is clearly spelled out in the fare rules. You could redeem another First award.

Originally Posted by American Airlines

Children Discounts

FROM/TO ARGENTINA NOTE - GENERAL RULE DOES NOT APPLY 1ST THROUGH 4TH ACCOMPANIED CHILD 2-11 - CHARGE 75 PERCENT OF THE FARE. TICKETING CODE - BASE FARE CODE PLUS CH OR - 5TH AND EACH ADDITIONAL ACCOMPANIED CHILD 2-11 - NO DISCOUNT OR - INFANT UNDER 2 WITH A SEAT - CHARGE 75 PERCENT OF THE FARE. TICKETING CODE - BASE FARE CODE PLUS CH OR - INFANT UNDER 2 WITHOUT A SEAT - CHARGE 10 PERCENT OF THE FARE. TICKETING CODE - BASE FARE CODE PLUS IN OR - UNACCOMPANIED CHILD 2-11 - NO DISCOUNT.
Originally Posted by Generic IATA Fare Rules

Children Discounts

UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED NOTE - GENERAL RULE DOES NOT APPLY ACCOMPANIED CHILD 2-11 - CHARGE 75 PERCENT OF THE FARE. TICKET DESIGNATOR - CH AND PERCENT OF DISCOUNT OR - INFANT UNDER 2 WITH A SEAT - CHARGE 75 PERCENT OF THE FARE. TICKET DESIGNATOR - CH AND PERCENT OF DISCOUNT. NOTE - UNACCOMPANIED INFANT - NOT PERMITTED OR - UNACCOMPANIED CHILD 2-11 - CHARGE 100 PERCENT OF THE FARE OR - 1ST INFANT UNDER 2 WITHOUT A SEAT - CHARGE 10 PERCENT OF THE FARE. TICKET DESIGNATOR - IN AND PERCENT OF DISCOUNT. NOTE - UNACCOMPANIED INFANT - NOT PERMITTED
Old Feb 23, 2008, 9:25 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
So, it's both been discussed in FT and disclosed on the AA website? Rant over, I guess.

Cheers.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 9:26 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
So I booked two first class awards from DFW to EZE. We have a child who will be less than 2 when we travel in December. To my shock I learned I have to pay 10% of the cabin fare (thats about $1700!). American Does not disclose international policy for children under 2 in their website and the first time I booked and asked they did not say anything about a 10% charge. Today (the agent who was very attentive heard my little one in the background) and told me about this policy I was obviously unpleasantly surprised.

Has anyone ever figured out a way around this? I looked into Business class awards but there are no business seats available.

Any pointers would help.
Umm... Why the business class seat? Would you park the infant there while the two of you are in F?
Old Feb 23, 2008, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
American Does not disclose international policy for children under 2 in their website and the first time I booked and asked they did not say anything about a 10% charge.
Just as you need to acquire a ticket for your spouse, you need to acquire a ticket for your <2 when traveling internationally. The infant ticket requirement is in no way unique to AA.

Since you find 10% of a first class class to be troublingly costly, I observe that 10% of a coach fare would be a much smaller number. You probably don't see that as a good solution.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Although not funny to the posters who find this out the hard way; I do get a kick out of this when it comes up every so often. It is one of those policies most people wouldn't know, wouldn't care to know, wouldn't be expected to know until the time comes

however it is well documented and it is not limited to AA;

now for the value added piece to this thread (at least I hope it is)

go to the Travel with children forum and this is discussed and i think there are some possible work arounds
Old Feb 23, 2008, 10:37 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Standard for all airlines complaining would be very silly.

You could book a coach adult ticket on the internet and sort it out at checkin.

This coach ticket could be in your name or your infants name.

Buyer beware. And if you do this be very very nice at checkin.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 10:41 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AAaLot

I would strongly suggest NOT doing this. This is risky and has the chance of backfiring. If things don't go your way, you're screwed. This is, IMO, very bad advice.

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Feb 23, 2008 at 10:46 am
Old Feb 23, 2008, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Do not do this! They won't allow a child to ride in a separate class of service and you all could be denied boarding until you paid the 10% for the class of service where at least one of you adults will be traveling.

The OP is wrong in the assumption that this is a new or unusual charge.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 10:47 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
so you got 2 ~ $17K tickets for mi's? is first really that much?
Old Feb 23, 2008, 10:50 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinium 1.55MM AVIS Preferred Hertz Gold Marriott Platinum
One more Award

We used a third first class award when we traveled SBP-LAX-BOS-LHR-NCL and NCL-LHR-LAX-SBP two years ago with my daughter (just under 2). The NewCastle flights were BA (Business Class) and American Eagle San Luis Obispo flights were Coach.

Although there is a lot of room in first, it was nice for her to have her own seat to sleep in.

-Mike
Old Feb 23, 2008, 10:59 am

I did this a very long time ago.

Bought a coach ticket for me and FC awards for the baby & wife. Then I sat in my sons FC seat...FA did not care.

There is risk with this stratedy...sitting in coach. Plus it sounds like you requested your awards already.

For $1700 you should probably wait it out. It is doubtful it will get more expensive. Just pay at the airport.

you should try to get a seat for the infant. We only did this once during the adoption of our son and did not know any better. Seats should be required for everyone.

You may also want to post in the traveling with children forum.

Last edited by AAaLot; Feb 23, 2008 at 11:04 am
Old Feb 23, 2008, 11:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, HH GOLD, PP

As brb previously stated, do NOT do this. A few years ago, my daughter's ticket was inadvertently re-booked as an adult ticket. This created a problem at check-in. Once it was determined this was due to AA agent error, the problem was quickly remedied. However, the not so pleasant ck-in agent advised had it not been substantiated it was agent error, she would have to cancel and rebook at current rate. I would've disputed it, but that's another matter.

An alternate option, find dates in J class rather than F class and use the savings in miles for a 3rd seat for your child. IMO, this would be far more pleasant than F class w/a lap child.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 1:02 pm

One area that is unclear is what fare is used to calculate the 10% when the adult has bought a mileage ticket. Had the OP bought a discounted 1st class fare, then the infant fare would be 10% of THAT fare, and, hence, likely less than $1700. However, in my experience, when the adult uses mileage, the 10% is based on full fare F (or J or Y), so it can be quite the sticker shock.

What's interesting is that some airlines (like BA) have mileage awards for lap infants that are 10% of the adult award. I bet OP would happily spend 12,500 miles for that privledge. Unfortunately, AA does not do this.

Flying with an infant soon to EZE. We got him his own seat in b class. May I add that EZE is a LONG flight to have your child sit in your lap.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.