Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: Infant / lap child fares & fees for AA travel, including award & upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2014, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Infant and lap child fares and fees on international travel, including award & upgrades

N.B.: This thread is restricted to discussion of AA (and AA awards, upgrades) ticketing rules for infants. Please do not use this thread to discuss opinions on safety issues associated with travel with lap children versus infants with their own purchased seats. Those discussions should be carried out in the

Travel with Children forum, where many opinions have been shared and are welcome. Thank you for your cooperation.
On AA there is no charge for a lap child on domestic flights. In most instances for international travel the cost will be 10% of the adult fare in the cabin of travel (be aware in some instances / on some other airlines, it can be 25% of the cost of an adult ticket). From aa.com:

Are you traveling with an infant?

Passengers are considered infants if aged over 2 days and less than 2 years at the beginning of their journey. To travel with an infant, you must be an adult passenger aged 16 or older. Adults can travel with up to two infants and in these circumstances, can purchase an additional seat at a child fare.

Although infants can travel as early as 2 days after birth, you'll need to provide a medical certificate for infants traveling within 7 days after birth. Please contact Reservations for more information.

On U.S. domestic flights:

Infants not occupying a seat travel for free. If you prefer to book a seat for your infant, a child fare will apply.

You must call AA on the phone to add a lap infant to an existing reservation. The lap infant will NOT appear in the online reservation and receipt.

Travelers with a lap infant may check in online, for domestic flights only, and the boarding pass will be annotated with the words "WITH INFANT" immediately after the traveler's name.

On international flights:

Infants not occupying a seat benefit from a 90% discount on most adult fares

If your infant turns 2 during your trip, we'll provide you with a complimentary seat on the return flight. If the return journey is not on American Airlines, please contact the other airline to check if a seat must be purchased. (Infants and children must provide passports with any required visas; all children not traveling with both parents may be required to have a Letter of Consent signed by both parents.)

You must call AA on the phone to add a lap infant to an existing reservation, and will need to pay the fare at that time. The lab infant and fare WILL appear in the online reservation and receipt.

Travelers with a lap infant may NOT check in online for international flights and must check in at the airport.

NOTE: AA will not generally block a complimentary spare seat to be used by an infant or lap child. If seats are available at the airport, it might be possible to be assigned seating to include an adjacent empty seat if the flight will depart with sufficient empty seats.

Bassinets: These are portable, not bulkhead fastened, floor bassinet boxes. Not all aircraft may offer these, and generally are restricted to bulkhead seats.

See the bassinet thread here."]here.

See more here on aa.com.

For AA policies on required documentation for children, see here.

and

This thread regarding the use - and prohibition, on some aircraft - child safety seats.

For older threads on this topic, see:

Print Wikipost

Guide: Infant / lap child fares & fees for AA travel, including award & upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by krazieman
Just booked 2 tickets for my wife and I to Asia on AA. Her's is in J with miles. Mine purchased Y+ (to get the 1.5 EQM) with 2 confirmed SWUs to J. (I thought about using my Business Extra upgrades, but my SWUs expire earlier)
We're bringing a 6 months baby along. The 777s to Asia do not have bassinets in J. I haven't booked the infant's ticket yet. I was told it was 10% of revenue fare + taxes.
Any suggestions on the most comfortable way for the infant to travel with us without a bassinet?

Thanks so much.
10% of which 'revenue fare'? The one you could have booked a year ago? The one they look up the day you book the infant are in full 'J'? Not your Y+ fare.... IMO dont dawdle. Maybe try to build the cheapest J fare you can to be ready for what they quote.... BTW what is your routing?

The most comfortable way for you will be on mom's lap....
Old Feb 27, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Any suggestions on the most comfortable way for the infant to travel with us without a bassinet?

Thanks so much.
You don't have many other options if you don't want to go the route of a car seat. A six-month old on your lap/sleeping beside mom will be fine. I say beside mom, because if you're like me, there's more free space on that seat . Plenty of room on the new J seats, whichever config you get.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by deeruck
You don't have many other options if you don't want to go the route of a car seat. A six-month old on your lap/sleeping beside mom will be fine. I say beside mom, because if you're like me, there's more free space on that seat . Plenty of room on the new J seats, whichever config you get.
Thanks! We're on the 787-9 with the B/E super diamond which I prefer. We're bringing a Doona car seat. The big one that folds out to a stroller. That might be hard to fit in the seat.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
10% of which 'revenue fare'? The one you could have booked a year ago? The one they look up the day you book the infant are in full 'J'? Not your Y+ fare.... IMO dont dawdle. Maybe try to build the cheapest J fare you can to be ready for what they quote.... BTW what is your routing?

The most comfortable way for you will be on mom's lap....
So the baby is actually due in 2 weeks. That's why I can't book a ticket for her yet, but I will as soon as I can get a passport for her. My routing is DFW-PEK, PVG-DFW. Currently it prices out to around $4900.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 3:35 pm

Actually, just noticed that the 787-9 doesn't allow for child seats anyways.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
What we have done is put the seat fully flat, then place the infant in the deepest part of the footwell. You cannot stretch out fully, but you can put your knees up and rest some. Or just put the seat in the Z position and let the child rest on you.

Unfortunately, the Super Diamond seat does not have a fully flat floor, unlike the 772 Zodiac or the 77W in the bulkhead. On those variants, you can easily put the infant on the floor (provided the seat belt sign is off).
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:43 am

So the baby is actually due in 2 weeks. That's why I can't book a ticket for her yet, but I will as soon as I can get a passport for her. My routing is DFW-PEK, PVG-DFW. Currently it prices out to around $4900.
No need to wait for the passport. All you need in the name/DOB.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 11:32 am

No need to wait for the passport. All you need in the name/DOB.
And that might not even necessary. Some airlines will put a placeholder e.g. infant as the first name. Not sure about AA.
deeruck likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by erik123
And that might not even necessary. Some airlines will put a placeholder e.g. infant as the first name. Not sure about AA.
I waited, so I can't speak to success of purchaing an infant ticket for Infant krazieman.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:04 pm

I waited, so I can't speak to success of purchaing an infant ticket for Infant krazieman.
That would be master infant krazieman. look it up.
deeruck likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 8:29 am

Before I call AA I'd like to know if anyone has ever attempted this and/or has any suggestions. My wife and I are booked one way MSP-LGA (10 hour layover) JFK-LHR-IVR. We have family in NY and we're planning on leaving our 8 month-ish old baby with my in laws for the week we're in Scotland. So we'd only need the infant noted on the MSP-LGA leg. The award is in business so I have numerous cheaper options than paying 10% of the fare (ie, I could just fly my in-laws out here and have them watch him at our house.). Does anyone have any guidance on adding an infant to just one domestic leg of a trip like this?
Old Mar 15, 2018, 3:52 am

Programs: LH HON
In case it's still valid. The agent needs to book a standalone infant fare MSP-LGA and then attach it to your reservation. This may need involvement of the supervisor.
MCIUnitedGuy likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by ckx2
In case it's still valid. The agent needs to book a standalone infant fare MSP-LGA and then attach it to your reservation. This may need involvement of the supervisor.
Is it also possible to do this with a child (not lap infant) standalone fare as a separate ticket?
Old May 24, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Traveling in 2 days in J with lap infant on award ticket issued by BA. Only 7 out of 16 J seats taken on A321 to Mexico. What are my chances that I can get a seat for lap infant? Any tips to increase chance of a seat for infant?

Thanks.
Old May 25, 2018, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by opus2002
Traveling in 2 days in J with lap infant on award ticket issued by BA. Only 7 out of 16 J seats taken on A321 to Mexico. What are my chances that I can get a seat for lap infant? Any tips to increase chance of a seat for infant?

Thanks.
You'll need to buy a ticket if you want a seat for the infant. Those free seats will be in scope for upgrades for AA elites, so they will probably fill.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.