Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: Infant / lap child fares & fees for AA travel, including award & upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2014, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Infant and lap child fares and fees on international travel, including award & upgrades

N.B.: This thread is restricted to discussion of AA (and AA awards, upgrades) ticketing rules for infants. Please do not use this thread to discuss opinions on safety issues associated with travel with lap children versus infants with their own purchased seats. Those discussions should be carried out in the

Travel with Children forum, where many opinions have been shared and are welcome. Thank you for your cooperation.
On AA there is no charge for a lap child on domestic flights. In most instances for international travel the cost will be 10% of the adult fare in the cabin of travel (be aware in some instances / on some other airlines, it can be 25% of the cost of an adult ticket). From aa.com:

Are you traveling with an infant?

Passengers are considered infants if aged over 2 days and less than 2 years at the beginning of their journey. To travel with an infant, you must be an adult passenger aged 16 or older. Adults can travel with up to two infants and in these circumstances, can purchase an additional seat at a child fare.

Although infants can travel as early as 2 days after birth, you'll need to provide a medical certificate for infants traveling within 7 days after birth. Please contact Reservations for more information.

On U.S. domestic flights:

Infants not occupying a seat travel for free. If you prefer to book a seat for your infant, a child fare will apply.

You must call AA on the phone to add a lap infant to an existing reservation. The lap infant will NOT appear in the online reservation and receipt.

Travelers with a lap infant may check in online, for domestic flights only, and the boarding pass will be annotated with the words "WITH INFANT" immediately after the traveler's name.

On international flights:

Infants not occupying a seat benefit from a 90% discount on most adult fares

If your infant turns 2 during your trip, we'll provide you with a complimentary seat on the return flight. If the return journey is not on American Airlines, please contact the other airline to check if a seat must be purchased. (Infants and children must provide passports with any required visas; all children not traveling with both parents may be required to have a Letter of Consent signed by both parents.)

You must call AA on the phone to add a lap infant to an existing reservation, and will need to pay the fare at that time. The lab infant and fare WILL appear in the online reservation and receipt.

Travelers with a lap infant may NOT check in online for international flights and must check in at the airport.

NOTE: AA will not generally block a complimentary spare seat to be used by an infant or lap child. If seats are available at the airport, it might be possible to be assigned seating to include an adjacent empty seat if the flight will depart with sufficient empty seats.

Bassinets: These are portable, not bulkhead fastened, floor bassinet boxes. Not all aircraft may offer these, and generally are restricted to bulkhead seats.

See the bassinet thread here."]here.

See more here on aa.com.

For AA policies on required documentation for children, see here.

and

This thread regarding the use - and prohibition, on some aircraft - child safety seats.

For older threads on this topic, see:

Print Wikipost

Guide: Infant / lap child fares & fees for AA travel, including award & upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There can be times where domestic and international sectors could be ticketed separately and work out cheaper

e.g. book award on Qantas for SYD-LAX connecting to AA for LAX-ORD

it would be possible to get a SYD-LAX ticket for the infant just for the cost of the taxes if issued by Qantas and then just travel on AA domestically free of charge

This would be a lot cheaper than getting AA to issue an award ticket at 10% of the adult fare plus taxes
Exactly but usually it's a bit more complicated and I doubt most travelers would care to go through the process even though in my experience it can save quite a bit of $$$.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 2:33 am

Everywhere I looked saying cx charges 25% lap child fee, but cx website showing 10%. Did they lower the fee?

Screenshot
Attached picture
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Junkymail - I would urge you not to try to establish a general rule - just recreate your flights in ITA Matrix and search fare rules for infants <2 years without a seat. I checked JFK-HKG and found a 10% I fare. I also checked JFK-PEK and found a 100% I fare.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Junkymail - I would urge you not to try to establish a general rule - just recreate your flights in ITA Matrix and search fare rules for infants <2 years without a seat. I checked JFK-HKG and found a 10% I fare. I also checked JFK-PEK and found a 100% I fare.
hi 3Cforme, I don’t get what you mean. I’m still new to the ita

Last edited by junkymail; Nov 17, 2018 at 7:17 am
Old Nov 17, 2018, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I was suggesting using ITA Matrix to find current fares (and the fare rules for infants <2 without their own seat). When I posted your picture in post #566 didn't appear. It looks like you determined infant fare pricing directly from CX. Looking at the fare rule for:

Cathay Pacific (CX) IXNYC NYC to BKK

ITA Matrix shows that infant fares are charged at 10%.

Category 19: Discounts
ACCOMPANIED CHILD 2-11 - CHARGE 75 PERCENT OF THE FARE. TICKET DESIGNATOR - CH AND PERCENT OF DISCOUNT OR - UNACCOMPANIED CHILD 6-11 - CHARGE 100 PERCENT OF THE FARE

OR - 1ST INFANT UNDER 2 WITHOUT A SEAT - CHARGE 10 PERCENT OF THE FARE.

TICKET DESIGNATOR - IN AND PERCENT OF DISCOUNT OR - INFANT UNDER 2 WITH A SEAT - CHARGE 75 PERCENT OF THE FARE. TICKET DESIGNATOR - CH AND PERCENT OF DISCOUNT.

Now, that fare prices the adult at 4,707.10 one way in Business. I'm not sure how it's pricing at $13,303+ on your screenshot. The infant seat will be priced at xx% of the available adult fare at time of booking. Don't wait too long to book the infant fare - you may find only non-discounted J fares available.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I was suggesting using ITA Matrix to find current fares (and the fare rules for infants <2 without their own seat). When I posted your picture in post #566 didn't appear. It looks like you determined infant fare pricing directly from CX. Looking at the fare rule for:

Cathay Pacific (CX) IXNYC NYC to BKK

ITA Matrix shows that infant fares are charged at 10%.

Category 19: Discounts
ACCOMPANIED CHILD 2-11 - CHARGE 75 PERCENT OF THE FARE. TICKET DESIGNATOR - CH AND PERCENT OF DISCOUNT OR - UNACCOMPANIED CHILD 6-11 - CHARGE 100 PERCENT OF THE FARE

OR - 1ST INFANT UNDER 2 WITHOUT A SEAT - CHARGE 10 PERCENT OF THE FARE.

TICKET DESIGNATOR - IN AND PERCENT OF DISCOUNT OR - INFANT UNDER 2 WITH A SEAT - CHARGE 75 PERCENT OF THE FARE. TICKET DESIGNATOR - CH AND PERCENT OF DISCOUNT.

Now, that fare prices the adult at 4,707.10 one way in Business. I'm not sure how it's pricing at $13,303+ on your screenshot. The infant seat will be priced at xx% of the available adult fare at time of booking. Don't wait too long to book the infant fare - you may find only non-discounted J fares available.
thank you for the explanation. my $13,303 is first flex. i only chose first as an example. business on cx has business standard and business flex. standard is the price you listed. i assume cx will price infant ticket base on lowest business?
Old Nov 17, 2018, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by junkymail

thank you for the explanation. my $13,303 is first flex. i only chose first as an example. business on cx has business standard and business flex. standard is the price you listed. i assume cx will price infant ticket base on lowest business?
You are likely to find that CX tells you to go to AA to ticket the infant fare , given that the adult is booked on an AA ticket, so will likely be limited to fares that AA can sell. These are likely to only be full fare unrestrcited tickets

only if CX is prepared to issue a standalone ticket , then will be based on lowest that CX will sell, so then business standard should be ok
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott
Buying a seat for baby if parents are on award fare

Hey all,

Wife and I are booking an award fare to EU (RDU-AMS), we are booking AA one way. It is 22.5K miles, so for my wife and I we are spending 45K... the problem is booking our son. As you all know, AA does crazy things where one way is like 2000-3000 one way to europe, while r/t is like 800. Since we are booking it a one way flight with miles, the agent on the phone informed me that it would be $2500 for one seat for my 18month old... OR I can spend $500 to buy 22.5 miles and just use that as his fare. Is there any way around it? I thought there was a way that when youre flying with a child in seat with an adult with a reward fare, they charge it based on a r/t fare?

Appreciate any suggestions or help!
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by TravelDoorsOut
Hey all,

Wife and I are booking an award fare to EU (RDU-AMS), we are booking AA one way. It is 22.5K miles, so for my wife and I we are spending 45K... the problem is booking our son. As you all know, AA does crazy things where one way is like 2000-3000 one way to europe, while r/t is like 800. Since we are booking it a one way flight with miles, the agent on the phone informed me that it would be $2500 for one seat for my 18month old... OR I can spend $500 to buy 22.5 miles and just use that as his fare. Is there any way around it? I thought there was a way that when youre flying with a child in seat with an adult with a reward fare, they charge it based on a r/t fare?

Appreciate any suggestions or help!

P.S. Our return is planning to be on UA.
You have three options AFAIK.

Take the 18 month old as a lap child, possibly hoping there will be enough empty seats you might be able to reaccommodation once the flight is closed out.

On international flights:

Infants not occupying a seat benefit from a 90% discount on most adult fares

If your infant turns 2 during your trip, we'll provide you with a complimentary seat on the return flight. If the return journey is not on American Airlines, please contact the other airline to check if a seat must be purchased. (Infants and children must provide passports with any required visas; all children not traveling with both parents may be required to have a Letter of Consent signed by both parents.)

You must call AA on the phone to add a lap infant to an existing reservation, and will need to pay the fare at that time. The lab infant and fare WILL appear in the online reservation and receipt.

Travelers with a lap infant may NOT check in online for international flights and must check in at the airport.

See more here on aa.com.
Get an award seat if you can find one and get the miles. Buying 22,500 miles will cost, iirc, $675 plus fees.

Buy a seat at the extortionate one way transatlantic rate (or buy a much cheaper round trip and “throw away” the return.)

See the Wikipost at the top of the page.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JDiver
(or buy a much cheaper round trip and “throw away” the return.)
I think this might be the answer you are looking for. Why don't you like the idea of buying miles to purchase the ticket?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
You have three options AFAIK.

Take the 18 month old as a lap child, possibly hoping there will be enough empty seats you might be able to reaccommodation once the flight is closed out.

Get an award seat if you can find one and get the miles. Buying 22,500 miles will cost, iirc, $675 plus fees.

Buy a seat at the extortionate one way transatlantic rate (or buy a much cheaper round trip and “throw away” the return.)

See the Wikipost at the top of the page.
Originally Posted by deeruck
I think this might be the answer you are looking for. Why don't you like the idea of buying miles to purchase the ticket?

Not sure this will work... I cant buy my son a r/t and throw away the return since they will not sell a r/t ticket to an 18 month old who doesn't have an adult with a return ticket. Does that make sense?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 2:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Does the infant need to have a seat. Travel as a lap child and the cost would be around $250

If needing a seat, then rather than use miles for one of the adults, purchase 1 x r/t $800 adult ticket plus 1 x approx $80 r/t infant ticket for a total of about $880
or , of course purchase the miles needed at $764.39 - but I would suggest that buying ticket rather than miles would be much better value
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Does the infant need to have a seat. Travel as a lap child and the cost would be around $250

If needing a seat, then rather than use miles for one of the adults, purchase 1 x r/t $800 adult ticket plus 1 x approx $80 r/t infant ticket for a total of about $880
or , of course purchase the miles needed at $764.39 - but I would suggest that buying ticket rather than miles would be much better value
sorry, not following. If we need to get him a seat, Youre saying we buy one adult r/t at 800. How exactly would the 80 r/t come up for the kid? We want him to have a seat, so that would be 800x2 plus my award fare.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by TravelDoorsOut

sorry, not following. If we need to get him a seat, Youre saying we buy one adult r/t at 800. How exactly would the 80 r/t come up for the kid? We want him to have a seat, so that would be 800x2 plus my award fare.
One solution is:

Adult #1 : purchased r/t ticket (earns miles on flown segments)
Adult #2 : Award ticket
Infant #1 : Award ticket
ashill and robofski like this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:38 pm

upgrade with lap child?

I am planning a trip of ORD-CUN with an infant. Will adding a lap child to my ticket impact my chance of upgrade (I am a Plat Pro)? Or shall I wait until the 72hr window before I add the infant ticket (upgrade or not)?

I checked ITA, and it looks like the 10% for this route is actually a $0 base + tax in both economy and business, so does that mean even if I get upgraded, the infant ticket won't see a price hike?

TIA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.