Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: Infant / lap child fares & fees for AA travel, including award & upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2014, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Infant and lap child fares and fees on international travel, including award & upgrades

N.B.: This thread is restricted to discussion of AA (and AA awards, upgrades) ticketing rules for infants. Please do not use this thread to discuss opinions on safety issues associated with travel with lap children versus infants with their own purchased seats. Those discussions should be carried out in the

Travel with Children forum, where many opinions have been shared and are welcome. Thank you for your cooperation.
On AA there is no charge for a lap child on domestic flights. In most instances for international travel the cost will be 10% of the adult fare in the cabin of travel (be aware in some instances / on some other airlines, it can be 25% of the cost of an adult ticket). From aa.com:

Are you traveling with an infant?

Passengers are considered infants if aged over 2 days and less than 2 years at the beginning of their journey. To travel with an infant, you must be an adult passenger aged 16 or older. Adults can travel with up to two infants and in these circumstances, can purchase an additional seat at a child fare.

Although infants can travel as early as 2 days after birth, you'll need to provide a medical certificate for infants traveling within 7 days after birth. Please contact Reservations for more information.

On U.S. domestic flights:

Infants not occupying a seat travel for free. If you prefer to book a seat for your infant, a child fare will apply.

You must call AA on the phone to add a lap infant to an existing reservation. The lap infant will NOT appear in the online reservation and receipt.

Travelers with a lap infant may check in online, for domestic flights only, and the boarding pass will be annotated with the words "WITH INFANT" immediately after the traveler's name.

On international flights:

Infants not occupying a seat benefit from a 90% discount on most adult fares

If your infant turns 2 during your trip, we'll provide you with a complimentary seat on the return flight. If the return journey is not on American Airlines, please contact the other airline to check if a seat must be purchased. (Infants and children must provide passports with any required visas; all children not traveling with both parents may be required to have a Letter of Consent signed by both parents.)

You must call AA on the phone to add a lap infant to an existing reservation, and will need to pay the fare at that time. The lab infant and fare WILL appear in the online reservation and receipt.

Travelers with a lap infant may NOT check in online for international flights and must check in at the airport.

NOTE: AA will not generally block a complimentary spare seat to be used by an infant or lap child. If seats are available at the airport, it might be possible to be assigned seating to include an adjacent empty seat if the flight will depart with sufficient empty seats.

Bassinets: These are portable, not bulkhead fastened, floor bassinet boxes. Not all aircraft may offer these, and generally are restricted to bulkhead seats.

See the bassinet thread here."]here.

See more here on aa.com.

For AA policies on required documentation for children, see here.

and

This thread regarding the use - and prohibition, on some aircraft - child safety seats.

For older threads on this topic, see:

Print Wikipost

Guide: Infant / lap child fares & fees for AA travel, including award & upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2022, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It matters ; he is doing something wrong if he is acting against company policy.

If it isn't company policy, then there is an ussue with other staff

There should be consistent and correct application all the time - not just on a game of agent roulette
After many calls with AA and QR, I am very sure (but I don't know for a fact) that only QR can add the lap infant to an award ticket and that the issue is QR's customer service agents. This was also confirmed by Alaska when I booked another award ticket on Qatar which I didn't end up taking.
Old Jun 22, 2022, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ericande
After many calls with AA and QR, I am very sure (but I don't know for a fact) that only QR can add the lap infant to an award ticket and that the issue is QR's customer service agents. This was also confirmed by Alaska when I booked another award ticket on Qatar which I didn't end up taking.
I am pretty sure that ony QR can. If nearly all the agents are saying that it is not something that they can do, it could well be that that is QR policy and the agents that are the problem are the ones that actually issued a ticket,

There should be a consistent response from agents
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:27 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
A rather vanilla data point:

2 separate domestic awards - going and coming back. Called EXP desk this morning to add lap infant, after booking tickets last night.
Agent was super helpful and got the lap infant added on, as well as cross referenced our outbound and return record locators for future use.

No charge since it was domestic. Done in all of 8 minutes, spent more time on hold than talking to him.
Old Jun 23, 2022, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by jtav559
A rather vanilla data point:

2 separate domestic awards - going and coming back. Called EXP desk this morning to add lap infant, after booking tickets last night.
Agent was super helpful and got the lap infant added on, as well as cross referenced our outbound and return record locators for future use.

No charge since it was domestic. Done in all of 8 minutes, spent more time on hold than talking to him.
FYI you can do this yourself on the website or app. It takes all of 8 seconds!
Old Jun 26, 2022, 8:47 am

No BP in app, but mobile BP works fine

One quirky thing I've noticed the past couple months flying quite a bit with a lap infant: you can't view/obtain a boarding pass using the app, yet it's no problem to check in online and have a mobile BP emailed to you.

​​​​​
Old Jul 24, 2022, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by njvandy
One quirky thing I've noticed the past couple months flying quite a bit with a lap infant: you can't view/obtain a boarding pass using the app, yet it's no problem to check in online and have a mobile BP emailed to you.

​​​​​
Silly me for not realizing you can even check in online with a lap infant, I know we've tried it and failed but didn't realize that wasn't necessarily intended. Did your mobile BP say "plus infant" on it?

We typically check bags when traveling with the baby anyhow so not a big deal but my wife prefers the mobile BP to paper and we've always used paper because it has the "plus infant" notation. (On DL, lap infants get their own mobile BP and OLCI etc works just fine in the app.)
Old Jul 24, 2022, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Silly me for not realizing you can even check in online with a lap infant, I know we've tried it and failed but didn't realize that wasn't necessarily intended. Did your mobile BP say "plus infant" on it?

We typically check bags when traveling with the baby anyhow so not a big deal but my wife prefers the mobile BP to paper and we've always used paper because it has the "plus infant" notation. (On DL, lap infants get their own mobile BP and OLCI etc works just fine in the app.)
Yes, the mobile BP says "plus infant" just like the paper BP you can get from a kiosk or check-in desk.

I've never had a problem checking in on the app, just can't get the BP to display in-app for the pax with the infant attached. It usually says "DCA doesn't accept mobile boarding passes" or whatever the departing airport is.

Problem is solved in 30 seconds by going to AA.com on a mobile web browser and emailing yourself the mobile BP.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA PLT 1MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Gold, National Exec, Hertz 5-Star
It's my first time traveling with an infant and wanted to know if anyone could answer this question. I've read the thread and understand that if traveling with an infant-on-lap and using an SWU, the infant would be charged 10% of the business class fare + taxes. What are the rules if the upgrade is a regular complimentary upgrade (old sticker system)? I have a three segment flight to Central America: MCI-CLT-MIA-PTY. Is it safe to assume that any domestic segments that are upgraded would incur no additional cost for the infant? What if the MIA-PTY segment is upgraded, am I charged 10% + taxes of J based on the whole trip or is a calculation done based just on that one segment?
Old Jul 29, 2022, 5:28 pm

Programs: Accor Silver
I called QR today to add an infant to an AA award booking and also received "Our policy does not allow adding infants to other airlines' award tickets", please call American Airlines. So unless I keep calling again until I get a 'bad' QR agent, I think it's a no-go for me and I will end up canceling and booking a paid ticket on another airline. Even if it is more expensive than buying tickets on QR, I will make it a point to take my business elsewhere based on this 'policy'.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 10:16 pm

Whilst cutting your nose off to spite your face, I assume that you will ensure not to book the paid ticket on one of the many airlines that have the same policy
Old Jul 29, 2022, 10:42 pm

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Whilst cutting your nose off to spite your face, I assume that you will ensure not to book the paid ticket on one of the many airlines that have the same policy
No, the problem isn’t that the other airlines have the same policy - the problem is that QR’s internal liaison tells AA one thing, but the customer facing agents tell them another. The problem is that QR has a dysfunctional policy team that strands the customer, and I’m not entirely sure why you insist on defending them. It would cost them nothing to balance the policy out so that AA can issue the ticket - but no, internally, they say that infants MUST be ticketed on QR stock, and yet they won’t do it when you call.

Etihad has absolutely no issue with this, and allows AA to issue the ticket. It’s not cheap - they have a 20% of the fare rule - BUT IT WORKS, unlike this idiotic airline.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 1:47 am

Infants do not need to be issued on QR stock - the issue is whether AA can sell a ticket for the journey. This is not unique to QR.

At one time there was no issue. The IATA mileage based fares could be issued by AA for travel on most airlines. Might be an expensive base fare, but made infant tickets with award quite easy.

QR is far from unique with this issue
Old Jul 30, 2022, 2:13 am

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Infants do not need to be issued on QR stock - the issue is whether AA can sell a ticket for the journey. This is not unique to QR.

At one time there was no issue. The IATA mileage based fares could be issued by AA for travel on most airlines. Might be an expensive base fare, but made infant tickets with award quite easy.

QR is far from unique with this issue
I feel like we’re going back to the same discussion we had a few months ago. While you’re correct that AA is unable to issue the ticket because of mileage fares being gone, that isn’t the problem - the problem is QR’s liaison is telling them infants MUST be ticketed on QR stock, which is why AA bounces customers to QR. I don’t care what the “correct” or “industry-standard” way of doing it is (and I note that your definition of correct obviously differs from AA’s, and aligns with QR’s in this instance). My problem is with QR not being aligned internally on what the correct approach is - which shows how useless and haphazard their customer support is. At least AA is consistent in saying they will ticket any infant except on AS and QR. and they stand behind it (they can even ticket a half-ticket on QR+JL for the JL segment, even though they don’t have a fare published on the JL segment).

And in this, I do agree QR is far from unique in this issue, though for a supposed five-star airline one would expect a little more.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 2:10 am

AAdvantage award ticket for inter.flight for baby in LAP

Hi,

Looking for help how to book:
My story is short: Corona is "over", baby is here, miles earned = ready to travel around the world.

Have not called to AA since 2019.
First call last week and spent 1.5 hour in queue. It was to Europe AA call.

Tried to book AUH to VIE with Etihad using AA miles. I was said it is impossible to add infant to booking, because it is not AA flight. A few more calls and could not do it. Called to Etihad, 5 minutes later they did it but also asked to pay 450 EUR for an infant.
I was really upset about the price, especially when economy adult costs less. Asked if it is possible to buy adult economy for baby with miles and take baby to bus. In theory it is possible but it is risky. Now thinking to give my bus to baby and book economy for myself: worse case I will be in economy, best case- team allows me to sit with baby and my wife in bus.

Also thinking may be to change Etihad to Qatar airlines if they are more flex with prices.

However my question will be: can you share your experience here who travelled with infant in LAP using AA miles for international flight operated not by AA?

Now I have a few choices:
To buy additional bus - 42.5k milesBook economy for myself - 20k milesPay 450 EUR just for "something".

Problem is that we are planning to do trip around the world and we want start booking tickets to SIN-DPSSIN-DPS-HKG-Japan with AA.
​​​I can not imagine how much it will be for baby. May be someone can give me some hints? For today we can not spend miles for baby in bus (too much).
may be it is possible to book a ticket for baby like roundtrip ticket from adult price and not one ways tickets. Just want to find most economical way. (In my imagination babies should fly for free))
Old Oct 12, 2022, 3:03 am

Existing thread here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.