Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: Infant / lap child fares & fees for AA travel, including award & upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2014, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Infant and lap child fares and fees on international travel, including award & upgrades

N.B.: This thread is restricted to discussion of AA (and AA awards, upgrades) ticketing rules for infants. Please do not use this thread to discuss opinions on safety issues associated with travel with lap children versus infants with their own purchased seats. Those discussions should be carried out in the

Travel with Children forum, where many opinions have been shared and are welcome. Thank you for your cooperation.
On AA there is no charge for a lap child on domestic flights. In most instances for international travel the cost will be 10% of the adult fare in the cabin of travel (be aware in some instances / on some other airlines, it can be 25% of the cost of an adult ticket). From aa.com:

Are you traveling with an infant?

Passengers are considered infants if aged over 2 days and less than 2 years at the beginning of their journey. To travel with an infant, you must be an adult passenger aged 16 or older. Adults can travel with up to two infants and in these circumstances, can purchase an additional seat at a child fare.

Although infants can travel as early as 2 days after birth, you'll need to provide a medical certificate for infants traveling within 7 days after birth. Please contact Reservations for more information.

On U.S. domestic flights:

Infants not occupying a seat travel for free. If you prefer to book a seat for your infant, a child fare will apply.

You must call AA on the phone to add a lap infant to an existing reservation. The lap infant will NOT appear in the online reservation and receipt.

Travelers with a lap infant may check in online, for domestic flights only, and the boarding pass will be annotated with the words "WITH INFANT" immediately after the traveler's name.

On international flights:

Infants not occupying a seat benefit from a 90% discount on most adult fares

If your infant turns 2 during your trip, we'll provide you with a complimentary seat on the return flight. If the return journey is not on American Airlines, please contact the other airline to check if a seat must be purchased. (Infants and children must provide passports with any required visas; all children not traveling with both parents may be required to have a Letter of Consent signed by both parents.)

You must call AA on the phone to add a lap infant to an existing reservation, and will need to pay the fare at that time. The lab infant and fare WILL appear in the online reservation and receipt.

Travelers with a lap infant may NOT check in online for international flights and must check in at the airport.

NOTE: AA will not generally block a complimentary spare seat to be used by an infant or lap child. If seats are available at the airport, it might be possible to be assigned seating to include an adjacent empty seat if the flight will depart with sufficient empty seats.

Bassinets: These are portable, not bulkhead fastened, floor bassinet boxes. Not all aircraft may offer these, and generally are restricted to bulkhead seats.

See the bassinet thread here."]here.

See more here on aa.com.

For AA policies on required documentation for children, see here.

and

This thread regarding the use - and prohibition, on some aircraft - child safety seats.

For older threads on this topic, see:

Print Wikipost

Guide: Infant / lap child fares & fees for AA travel, including award & upgrades

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2017, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by aspex
Interesting. I've not seen seat blocking and I'm Platinum. So probably not because of your status. Where are you flying to and what airplane are they using? I've been on a few A319 and A320 and have had no luck with empty middle seats as the flights have been full. Also, lots of people do not get seat assignments until they check in so you could still lose the middle seat then.
A few years ago they blocked seats next to PLT and higher
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:27 pm

So annoyed with this 10% fee. We are traveling DFW to FRA next week and booked Biz Class with miles for me and spouse back in March. Called in april to see what lap child cost was and was quoted $342.07. Didn't do it right then because fees were limited. Was told I just had to do it before flight. Called back yesterday and now it's $867. But when I asked they said they take the lowest fare in that class for the day you are ticketing. So you are always paying based on a fare for that day of travel? You don't get the benefit of time or if your specific flight drops in price you don't get that either. Our flight is down to $4000 now for the class but today's price is not.

So...do you just call every morning and hope the fare has tanked? Will this work? Will you get screwed as the flight gets closer?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Deanne Wagner
So annoyed with this 10% fee. We are traveling DFW to FRA next week and booked Biz Class with miles for me and spouse back in March. Called in april to see what lap child cost was and was quoted $342.07. Didn't do it right then because fees were limited. Was told I just had to do it before flight. Called back yesterday and now it's $867. But when I asked they said they take the lowest fare in that class for the day you are ticketing. So you are always paying based on a fare for that day of travel? You don't get the benefit of time or if your specific flight drops in price you don't get that either. Our flight is down to $4000 now for the class but today's price is not.

So...do you just call every morning and hope the fare has tanked? Will this work? Will you get screwed as the flight gets closer?
Indeed - you will be charged the 10% ( or higher on some airlines ) of the lowest fare on offer at the time that the ticket is purchased - same basis as any other normal ticket

Looking on Expert Flyer for next Tuesday , the infant fare is showing at $771.20 plus taxes of $23.60 for a total of $794.60 in R class

That is the cheapest fare and cannot imagine it getting cheaper in the next few days. If it did , then can cancel, get a refund and rebook

AA does offer many discounted fares ( as low as $294 for an infant ) but these fares have advance purchase requirements

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jul 26, 2017 at 3:46 pm
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:36 pm

Thanks for the info. So do they base it on a roundtrip all in one day or what start/end date do they use? That seems to make a difference in price. It seems arbitrary to me in a way. I'm surprised it changed so much since May. I guess in May when I called it was cheaper to fly biz than it is today? Now it's summer and then it wasn't? Wish I had known I would have jumped on the $342 deal.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:40 pm

Thanks for the info. So do they base it on a roundtrip all in one day or what start/end date do they use? That seems to make a difference in price. It seems arbitrary to me in a way. I'm surprised it changed so much since May. I guess in May when I called it was cheaper to fly biz than it is today? Now it's summer and then it wasn't? Wish I had known I would have jumped on the $342 deal.
There is nothing arbitrary any more than any fares are arbitrary

It will be based on 10% of the adult fare that would apply for business class travel on the flights that you are travelling on

For travel next week, you have missed the benefits of being able to buy discounted tickets due to the advance purchase restrictions of the cheaper fares

Buying an infant ticket is no different to any other ticket
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is nothing arbitrary any more than any fares are arbitrary

It will be based on 10% of the adult fare that would apply for business class travel on the flights that you are travelling on

For travel next week, you have missed the benefits of being able to buy discounted tickets due to the advance purchase restrictions of the cheaper fares

Buying an infant ticket is no different to any other ticket
That's not what they told me when I called yesterday. My particular flight had dropped $2K from last week but the price they quoted for the infant stayed the same so I asked why since the flight was down. They said it was based on a roundtrip flight at the time of ticketing the baby (so the day I was calling in....not the days I'm flying). So you are always getting quoted for a flight leaving the day you are calling. That's what seems unfair to me. Other than booking in the right season you get no benefit of advance purchase. ?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:25 pm

That's not what they told me when I called yesterday. My particular flight had dropped $2K from last week but the price they quoted for the infant stayed the same so I asked why since the flight was down. They said it was based on a roundtrip flight at the time of ticketing the baby (so the day I was calling in....not the days I'm flying). So you are always getting quoted for a flight leaving the day you are calling. That's what seems unfair to me. Other than booking in the right season you get no benefit of advance purchase. ?
I think that you are misunderstanding what the person said

The price is based on the business class fare that is available that day, for travel on the flights which you are travelling

A oneway fare for next week is $794.60
looking at round trip fares for departure next week and returning after a couple of weeks is $867.06 ( which is what you have been quoted )

The adult roundtrip fare currently available for travel next week is $9,206.76

If you had ticketed back in May , the you would have been able to take advantage of the cheaper advance purchase fares

AA has no published discounted fares in business class for travel commencing next week and the infant fare for R class is $867

If you continue to hold out from purchasing and R class was to sell out on one or both of the flights, then the J return fare for the infant would be increase to to $1171 for R one way and J the other , or $1,475 if both directions need to be in J

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jul 27, 2017 at 2:35 pm
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:27 pm

I think that you are misunderstanding what the person said

The price is based on the business class fare that is available that day for travel on the flights which you are travelling

That's what I was thinking too so I asked for clarification and even got a supervisor on the phone. ? They said it was based on the fare today for travel. How can I try to push it? It shows only a biz class full fare on our travel dates of $7900 and it had been showing $10K+. Do they actually look at your flight or any of the flights that day? There is only 1 non-stop roundtrip.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:30 pm

A oneway fare for next week is $794.60
looking at round trip fares for departure next week and returning in a couple of weeks is $867.06 ( which is what you have been quoted )
Yup..exactly what I was quoted the $867.06. Where are you seeing this info? Do you think there is a chance it will improve or I should just suck it up and buy it ? It could get worse? Thanks for your help. So disappointed the agent did not tell me of this when I asked all the right questions back in May.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:37 pm

Yup..exactly what I was quoted the $867.06. Where are you seeing this info? Do you think there is a chance it will improve or I should just suck it up and buy it ? It could get worse? Thanks for your help. So disappointed the agent did not tell me of this when I asked all the right questions back in May.
I went to matrix.itasoftware.com and did a seach for travel next week for 1 adult and 1 infant without seat and that is what is quoted

It will not get better - but , as I mentioned above, could get a lot worse

In the really unlikely event that AA has a sale for travel next week in business class, you can cancel the infant ticket for a full refund and just rebook

That's what I was thinking too so I asked for clarification and even got a supervisor on the phone. ? They said it was based on the fare today for travel. How can I try to push it? It shows only a biz class full fare on our travel dates of $7900 and it had been showing $10K+. Do they actually look at your flight or any of the flights that day? There is only 1 non-stop roundtrip.
I do not know what they said , but it is the same as for any ticket; you are charged the infant fare based on 10% of the adult fare that would be charged if you were to make the booking at that time

It is based on fare available that day for your flights, not the fare available that day for a flight departing that day

That is why you could have got the ticket for $342 since there were cheaper adult fares available for the flights which you were bookng
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:44 pm

In the really unlikely event that AA has a sale for travel next week in business class, you can cancel the infant ticket for a full refund and just rebook

Thanks. So there wouldn't be any fees associated with canceling and rebooking? I looked at your Matrix site and it's cool but does say nonrefundable and would incur fees. That site helps a bunch and definitely confirms it's for travel on our date not the day I'm calling. I don't know why they kept giving me such wrong information and run around. So why the difference in what I see published on AA.com then and when I call? I was looking right at a $7910 roundtrip ticket in biz on our travel dates and they were still giving me the $867 based on the $9200. Doesn't make sense. AA.com ahs been showing $7910 all afternoon today too for our trip. Although I guess it's not a huge difference to be worrying about it.

Last edited by Deanne Wagner; Jul 27, 2017 at 2:50 pm
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:51 pm

Thanks. So there wouldn't be any fees associated with canceling and rebooking? I looked at your Matrix site and it's cool but does say nonrefundable and would incur fees. That site helps a bunch and definitely confirms it's for travel on our date not the day I'm calling. I don't know why they kept giving me such wrong information and run around. So why the difference in what I see published on AA.com then and when I call? I was looking right at a $7910 roundtrip ticket in biz on our travel dates and they were still giving me the $867 based on the $9200. Doesn't make sense. AA.com ahs been showing $7910 all afternoon today too for our trip. Although I guess it's not a huge difference to be worrying about it.
It is refundable - if you go into the fare rules, you will see
Category 16: Penalties

CANCELLATIONS
ANY TIME
CANCELLATIONS PERMITTED FOR CANCEL/NO-SHOW.

which confirms no penalty for cancellation

What flights on what dates are you looking at?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 2:54 pm

It is refundable - if you go into the fare rules, you will see
Category 16: Penalties

CANCELLATIONS
ANY TIME
CANCELLATIONS PERMITTED FOR CANCEL/NO-SHOW.

which confirms no penalty for cancellation

What flights on what dates are you looking at?

DFW - FRA on 7/31 flight 70 at 4:20 and flight 71 on 8/9 return.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:12 pm

If you go through the booking on AA.com and get the final price for the specific flights , it comes out as $9207 for an adult - same as itasoftware does

The $7917 that is highlighted for AA70 in the initial selection would require you to fly back via Madrid on AA8595 and AA37
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:18 pm

If you go through the booking on AA.com and get the final price for the specific flights , it comes out as $9207 for an adult - same as itasoftware does

The $7917 that is highlighted for AA70 in the initial selection would require you to fly back via Madrid on AA8595 and AA37

Oh that's interesting...guess I better do it now then! Lol. Could get worse. Geez. Thanks for all your help. What a learning experience. Can't believe how many different bits of info I have received from them when calling. That first lady was so wrong telling me it didn't matter when I called to pay it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.