Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide: Infant / lap child fares & fees for AA travel, including award & upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2014, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Infant and lap child fares and fees on international travel, including award & upgrades

N.B.: This thread is restricted to discussion of AA (and AA awards, upgrades) ticketing rules for infants. Please do not use this thread to discuss opinions on safety issues associated with travel with lap children versus infants with their own purchased seats. Those discussions should be carried out in the

Travel with Children forum, where many opinions have been shared and are welcome. Thank you for your cooperation.
On AA there is no charge for a lap child on domestic flights. In most instances for international travel the cost will be 10% of the adult fare in the cabin of travel (be aware in some instances / on some other airlines, it can be 25% of the cost of an adult ticket). From aa.com:

Are you traveling with an infant?

Passengers are considered infants if aged over 2 days and less than 2 years at the beginning of their journey. To travel with an infant, you must be an adult passenger aged 16 or older. Adults can travel with up to two infants and in these circumstances, can purchase an additional seat at a child fare.

Although infants can travel as early as 2 days after birth, you'll need to provide a medical certificate for infants traveling within 7 days after birth. Please contact Reservations for more information.

On U.S. domestic flights:

Infants not occupying a seat travel for free. If you prefer to book a seat for your infant, a child fare will apply.

You must call AA on the phone to add a lap infant to an existing reservation. The lap infant will NOT appear in the online reservation and receipt.

Travelers with a lap infant may check in online, for domestic flights only, and the boarding pass will be annotated with the words "WITH INFANT" immediately after the traveler's name.

On international flights:

Infants not occupying a seat benefit from a 90% discount on most adult fares

If your infant turns 2 during your trip, we'll provide you with a complimentary seat on the return flight. If the return journey is not on American Airlines, please contact the other airline to check if a seat must be purchased. (Infants and children must provide passports with any required visas; all children not traveling with both parents may be required to have a Letter of Consent signed by both parents.)

You must call AA on the phone to add a lap infant to an existing reservation, and will need to pay the fare at that time. The lab infant and fare WILL appear in the online reservation and receipt.

Travelers with a lap infant may NOT check in online for international flights and must check in at the airport.

NOTE: AA will not generally block a complimentary spare seat to be used by an infant or lap child. If seats are available at the airport, it might be possible to be assigned seating to include an adjacent empty seat if the flight will depart with sufficient empty seats.

Bassinets: These are portable, not bulkhead fastened, floor bassinet boxes. Not all aircraft may offer these, and generally are restricted to bulkhead seats.

See the bassinet thread here."]here.

See more here on aa.com.

For AA policies on required documentation for children, see here.

and

This thread regarding the use - and prohibition, on some aircraft - child safety seats.

For older threads on this topic, see:

Print Wikipost

Guide: Infant / lap child fares & fees for AA travel, including award & upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2022, 3:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Infant in seat fares are generally 10% to 25% of the adult fare - the infant fare is based on cabin , so book business class and pay percentage of the business class adult fare
EUR450 doesn't seem that bad
Changing to QR and you are likely to run into difficulties actually getting a ticket issued. If EY will issue it, then I would suggest taking it
You are going to need to pay fare based on journey being undertaken by the accompanying adult; if you book the adult in economy, you will have to book the infant in economy.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Infant in seat fares are generally 10% to 25% of the adult fare - the infant fare is based on cabin , so book business class and pay percentage of the business class adult fare
Changing to QR and you are likely to run into difficulties actually getting a ticket issued. If EY will issue it, then I would suggest taking it
You are going to need to pay fare based on journey being undertaken by the accompanying adult; if you book the adult in economy, you will have to book the infant in economy.
It is easiest way and could be ok for now, however for different trips could be very expensive.

What I understood:
AA can't book tickets for infant if it is operated not by AA, however during the call they can pre-book it for all airlines. Also they can simulate tickets: during the call operator crated fake tickets for Qatar just to see if we can pay for the ticket through AA and we could not but funny thing was, that this ticket later was in my trips and stays as Confirmed)
So from AA you can get adults tickets and pre-booked infant.
Next step to call to HUB of your airline, noone could help us in Europe, so we called in UAE and it took few minutes. I think the same with other airlines, issue here that price on site for Adult is 2000 EUR and they ask for 450 per infant. I mean they take the highest rate from all option. If you book roundtrip, then bus class for adult will be 2.3k and for Infant 200 EUR.
For roundtrip for infant to pay 200 is ok. 450 for one way is too expensive.

Another moment AA allows you to buy a ticket in BUS or in Economy for infant as adult ticket. Problem here that there will be a risky situation if this kind of tickets are ok for Etihad.

​​​​​​May be someone knows: if I book award tickets as one way, can I buy for infant in LAP a roundtrip ticket.

For example: AUH-SIN-AUH (one way adult and later buy roundtrip for an infant?)

I am looking for some "inside info" how can I decrease fees. If we speaking about LON - AUH - SIN - DPS - LONWith miles I will pay may be 220k miles and 100 EUR fees. If I try to buy ticket for infant in LAP, then = 450*4 = 1800 EUR, somehow it would be cheaper to buy just roundtrip ticket as for adult online, you will just get additional empty seat near in business
Old Oct 12, 2022, 6:01 am

There is no magic bullet. Infants in conjunction with award tickets can (a) be hard to ticket and (b) be expensive

If you are travellling one way as the adult, you can only buy a one way ticket for the infant. The infant booking has to be tied to an adult booking

You could book an award ticket for the infant and the infant would then also have a seat.

If you want to be able to look at gettign a r/t ticket for the infant and reducing the cost, then you will need to adjust your travel plans
Old Oct 12, 2022, 7:15 am

There is no magic bullet. Infants in conjunction with award tickets can (a) be hard to ticket and (b) be expensive

If you are travellling one way as the adult, you can only buy a one way ticket for the infant. The infant booking has to be tied to an adult booking

You could book an award ticket for the infant and the infant would then also have a seat.

If you want to be able to look at gettign a r/t ticket for the infant and reducing the cost, then you will need to adjust your travel plans
Sometimes there are magic bullets. May be I am looking not fly for free, however may be there are some ideas. I know my options now: just take what you get. Anyway if I would think this way, never could collect miles as an example.

To reduce fees for 3-4 flights, I would try to book for myself economy and 2 more in bus for wife and infant, here your eco ticket will save 1.5k + there is a chance that you can fly in bus with a child, if child has a seat as adult and will spend time in LAP. I think some of you saw how people sometime change their places in a plane even from economy to bus with family during "night". From crew perspective, does it matter if you sleep with a child or seat there. I don't think so.

Also if I would know that in advance, that child could bring high fees, I would try to collect miles with airline which operates this flight. I booked tickets with Etihad miles and paid 6k+20 EUR for reward ticket in LAP Online. Was easy and fast. Bad that they don't allow to buy a new ticket using miles if I got a tickets from another system. So smart move would be to book a roundtrip ticket for my wife and child first place instead buy 2 one ways for me and my wife and lap ticket for infant. I should book in AA and my wife with Etihad.

Also may be some other companies ask less fees for infant. And it is always not clear how much you should pay, you always have to call.

So noone here who did "part of around the world" with miles and with infant? What was the best option to book? Pay per segment or found out how to do it roundtrips, assign to each segment and did as roundtrip?

So I am still looking the way and still optimistic)
Old Oct 12, 2022, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by kanneroliver
To reduce fees for 3-4 flights, I would try to book for myself economy and 2 more in bus for wife and infant, here your eco ticket will save 1.5k + there is a chance that you can fly in bus with a child, if child has a seat as adult and will spend time in LAP. I think some of you saw how people sometime change their places in a plane even from economy to bus with family during "night". From crew perspective, does it matter if you sleep with a child or seat there. I don't think so.
You will not be able to move to business class since you and the infant will be in economy. If you are happy to travel in different classes, you could have 1 in business and adult + infant in economy - but you won't be able to get the infant into business class unless you have paid for business class for the infant

You say you are not trying to fly for free , but you are trying to fly business class without paying for business class
Old Oct 12, 2022, 1:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold

You will not be able to move to business class since you and the infant will be in economy. If you are happy to travel in different classes, you could have 1 in business and adult + infant in economy - but you won't be able to get the infant into business class unless you have paid for business class for the infant

You say you are not trying to fly for free , but you are trying to fly business class without paying for business class
That is incorrect! The poster specifically stated purchasing J awards for his wife and the infant and a third redemption in economy with the hopes that he could move to J and have the infant on his lap.

The idea being a Y redemption in points and taxes is considerably cheaper than the lap infant charges. Sounds good in theory but I don't think it would "fly!" Unless he is prepared to sit in Y, I wouldn't chance it. The potential side effects of this approach will be a lower baggage allotment, no priority security and no lounge access.

James
Old Oct 12, 2022, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
That is incorrect! The poster specifically stated purchasing J awards for his wife and the infant and a third redemption in economy with the hopes that he could move to J and have the infant on his lap.
It is perfectly correct and your descriptuon has just restated it. He wants to purchase 1 x business adult ticket , 1 x economy adult ticket and 1 x business infant ticket. He then wants all 3 to sit in business class

that is exactly wanting to fly in business class without paying for it

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun;
The idea being a Y redemption in points and taxes is considerably cheaper than the lap infant charges. Sounds good in theory but I don't think it would "fly!" Unless he is prepared to sit in Y, I wouldn't chance it. The potential side effects of this approach will be a lower baggage allotment, no priority security and no lounge access.
If he wants to book 2 seats in business class plus 1 in economy, then that is fine as long as he wants to sit in economy whilst the infant has a busiess class seat. What doesn't work is self upgrading from economy to sit in the seat that the infant is in

It is no different to any other passenger seeing that there is an empty seat in business and deciding that it is ok to just go an use it

He needs to purchase 2 Adult business tickets and one business infant ticket.for all of them to be in busines class

Last edited by Dave Noble; Oct 12, 2022 at 3:06 pm
Old Nov 1, 2022, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
I just (re)booked an SWU booking on international J AA metal. I asked to add a lap infant and the EXP line agent told me that the infant was already there, and weirdly hung up on me so I went directly to the survey. I don't see the infant on the website under my name or my partner's name in the PNR on the website or app. Is there a way to see if the lap infant was indeed successfully booked through the app or website? It's our first kid so I apologize for the silly question.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ralphs
I just (re)booked an SWU booking on international J AA metal. I asked to add a lap infant and the EXP line agent told me that the infant was already there, and weirdly hung up on me so I went directly to the survey. I don't see the infant on the website under my name or my partner's name in the PNR on the website or app. Is there a way to see if the lap infant was indeed successfully booked through the app or website? It's our first kid so I apologize for the silly question.
Not a silly question, especially as too often airlines can mess up separately booked lap-child bookings/ticketing.

Here is my advice:

Call up AA again and seek out the lap child ticket number. And also ask what they have noted for the child’s name and date of birth. If they can’t provide the lap child ticket number and the name and DOB for the child from the record locator, then they’ve probably not done it correctly or have left it up for ticketing later. Either way, you’ll want to follow up with AA — and/or the operating carrier of the first international flight segment for the lap child — to make sure they’ve got down the lap child details properly and actually issued a ticket number for the lap child.

With some airlines, there is some chance that they may have set up a separate PNR for the lap child booking/ticket and possibly linked it to the PNR for the accompanying adult(s), but I don’t recall AA doing that separate lap child PNR thing when the first segment on the adult booking is for AA-operated international flights with AA-issued tickets for the adult(s).

Three key things:

1) making sure to get and record the lap-child ticket number for future reference
2) making sure the name and DOB for the lap child are correctly noted for the booking/ticket
3) making sure the lap-child ticket covers each and every segment of the journey that requires a lap-child ticket

That’s been my checklist to minimize surprises when lap-child tickets are required.
ralphs likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 1, 2022 at 6:52 pm
Old Nov 4, 2022, 12:10 pm

Programs: Shamelessly Gold at Flying Burrito and AirTrain A+ Elite. Turkish Star Gold, 100k at Flying Eskimo
Ny idea for a partner award on AA involving both AA and QR. Flying AA first domestinally and internationally to Doha and then Qatar to Oman. AA has the bulk of the international flying. Should I contact QR to get an infant fare even though they just have a minor portion of the trip or should AA do the entire thing?

A lot of conversations relate to QR flights booked with AA miles and people advise calling QR to book an infant fare which is then attached to the reservation. Here I book with AA miles but my flying is a mix of AA and QR with AA doing the first international TATL segment. Any recent success?
Minos

Last edited by Minos; Nov 4, 2022 at 12:16 pm
Old Nov 9, 2022, 10:45 am

Programs: Shamelessly Gold at Flying Burrito and AirTrain A+ Elite. Turkish Star Gold, 100k at Flying Eskimo
Quick update: called AA and had no issue adding an infant to this partner Award. It was the first time the CSR did this, so she read the instructions carefully and did it in 10min with no issue whatsoever. Only thing I am surprised is that she charged a $40 ticket issue fee for both parents. Not sure why and I will inquire. But at least the infant has an eticket number and will travel on QR.
Minos
Old Nov 18, 2022, 7:24 am

First Time Flying with newborn - Advice/Help Requested :)

Hello Everyone,

It is the first time I travel with my wife and newborn (Will be 4 Months). I tried to read as much online as possible but even when called American Airlines they aren't sure... So I want to knwo from the experts
I learned that if I book a Window and Wife Aisle the middle seat is booked for the newborn but it's not guaranteed.

Question 1: The plane is an A319 and the Main Cabin Extra seats are available for purchase. If I purchase those, will the middle seat also be blocked?

Question 2: Do you recommend booking the Main Cabin Extra Bulkhead seats?

Question 3: Since I'm Gold and I'm traveliing with my Wife on the same ticket, we both get a free checked luggage but does the newborn also get a checked luggage?

Question 4: Am i allowed to bring another carry-on for the newborn? Or is the stroller considered a carry-on?

Question 5: What should I be asking? What I don't know that I should know or wish I knew? lol
Old Nov 18, 2022, 7:53 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
In today's often fully booked and oversold flights, I would not count on a middle seat remaining open. They will also not block a middle if flying MCE if they are sold out.
My advice - buy the 3rd seat and bring an approved car seat to put into that middle seat.

Gold entitles all parties traveling with the Gold member to one free checked bag.
You are entitled to a free checked stroller and car seat which would not count against your baggage allowance. If you take a stroller to the gate, it will be gate checked. You can bring the car seat on if you have a seat for the baby reserved to use it on.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...g-children.jspI

Strollers
  • Each ticketed customer is allowed 1 stroller and 1 car seat to be checked free of charge
  • Strollers over 20 lbs / 9 kgs must be checked at the ticket counter
  • All other strollers should be checked at the gate before boarding
  • If you have a stroller and a car seat only 1 can be checked at the gate

Additional accessories
  • Breast pumps and a small, soft-sided cooler of breast milk don’t count as your carry-on or personal item
  • Play pens, wagons, cribs and 'pack and play' count as regular bags
  • If any of these exceed carry-on limits they’ll be checked and incur regular fees
tilhas likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
Here is some helpful basic information (not AA specific).

Flying with Baby: Parent FAQs
https://www.healthychildren.org/Engl...with-Baby.aspx
tilhas likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 7:50 pm

How do I book an infant seat fare?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.