Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Elite Status Challenge (CLOSED: "hard end" 23 Dec 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
HELP DESK: AAdvantage Elite Status Challenge (Gold and Platinum)
Challenges may no longer be enrolled in as of 6 Oct; hard end date 23 Dec 2015 -
but some reporting success 6 Oct backdating to 23 Sep by supervisors

This is the archived thread about the now defunct AAdvantage elite Gold and Platinum status challenge. The current thread can be read here.

NOTE: Challenges were closed off September 23 2015, at least for the remainder of 2015 - some have succeeded in enrolling and backdating to 23 Sep.

It is possible a new, remodeled challenge will be announced in or for 2016. That discussion is here: Original Gold / Platinum Challenge Ended 23 Sep '15. New program to come?

This thread is now dedicated to requests for assistance and responses to clarify challenge requirements for those members currently engaged in challenges and related issues. To discuss the potential and form of any future challenge, please use the link provided above.

NOTE: The rules for the Challenge at the time of closure are preserved below. The date by which the last person would have completed this challenge would be 23 December 2015.
Gold and Platinum challenges (there is usually no EXP challenge) can be flown to gain a "short cut" to status. To earn status you must register (and pay a fee $100-$140 for Gold, $200-240 for Platinum*) and fly to earn 5,000 or 10,000 elite-qualifying base Points (not miles) in a three month period, using American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights* and miles must be credited to AAdvantage.

Note: The four AA segment minimum required for regular status qualification does not apply to completing the challenge.

Class of service, status or other bonus miles are redeemable miles and thus do not count for the challenge. Class of service is the reigning factor in calculating the points earned per mile flown: the base points per mile charts for the various fare buckets on qualifying airlines are here.

Note: The "Reach elite status faster" promotion awarding 2 or even 3 EQ Points per mile for flying premium fares through 2015 does not apply to the challenge; challenge flyers will only have a maximum of 1.5 base EQP per base EQ Mile considered for challenge-earned status. The extra points are considered bonus points and are only applicable for earning "normal", non-challenge status.

Though one earned status bonus miles on the qualifying flight at one time, that is no longer possible. Status bonus miles will accrue on the next eligible flight after your status qualifying flight.

Also see (FT) Help Understanding Status, Points / Miles & Segments: EQM vs EQP (merged thread) for further assistance with the miles-EQMiles-points issue.

For miles calculations, many use the Great Circle Mapper tool

*for Platinum, Jan-Jun $200, Jul - Dec $240 - presumably for the max nine months of status vs. the max of 20 months $240 of status. Occasionally, there are "sales" reductions; they seem to be about 10%.

Challenges begun before June 16 of a given year earn status for the remainder of that year and the first two months of the following year (8-14 months total); challenges begun on or after June 16 grant status for the remainder of that year, the following year, and the first two months of the year after (14-20 months total). Challenges can begin anytime (not previously the case) and can even be backdated up to two weeks as far as we know (as of Nov 2013).

To sign up for a challenge, call AAdvantage Customer Service at +1-800-882-8880.

Link to cyclingpilot post about being granted a back-dated challenge (2 weeks)

You cannot use a challenge to requalify for status. There is no longer a "soft landing" to the next lower level of status. The flight on which the challenge is completed no longer earns the redeemable miles bonus for the new status level.

Some have been granted Gold status whilst flying a Platinum challenge, particularly those with current elite status (any level) on an airline of a competing alliance, but this is not a given.

Based on multiple reports from FT members, as of mid-2015 AA is only allowing one status challenge over a five year period.

August 2014 e-mail received by a Challenger, shared by ashill:

Thank you for registering for an AAdvantage® challenge.

To enjoy AAdvantage PLATINUM status through February 2016, please earn 10,000 elite qualifying points between now and [redacted]. Qualifying flights on American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights count toward your challenge.

Since the number of elite qualifying points you earn is based on the fare you purchase and the miles you earn, you can view these details for each airline:We wish you every success in attaining the elite status level you desire.

Sincerely,

Janet L F[redacted]
Director
AAdvantage Customer Service
Older posts have been archived (in many cases they contain obsolete information): Archive: Help Desk: AAdvantage Gold, Platinum Elite Status Challenge
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Elite Status Challenge (CLOSED: "hard end" 23 Dec 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2014, 8:24 am

challenge while EXP

My status will expire next year. A month ago an AAdavantage agent told me to sign up for the Platinum challenge if I will have an upcoming trip in order to maintain Plat during 2015.

Today two separate AAvantage agents said I cannot signup for a challenge while I have higher status than the challenge amount. I was told I have to wait until my EXP expires before I could attempt any challenge. I have an upcoming trip next month that would meet the challenge.

So, one month age an agent would sign me up for the challenge, today two agents refused.

What is others experience?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 8:34 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
You can only take the challenge to increase status. Thus you will have to fall below Platinum to take the challenge. Since there is no longer a soft landing this will happen on March 1st.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by mmthomas44
Today two separate AAvantage agents said I cannot signup for a challenge while I have higher status than the challenge amount.
These two agents were correct. You are not supposed to be able to use the challenge to maintain status, only to gain status.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I am currently on a platinum challenge expiring 25th Nov and am 740 points short of 10K. I was hoping to take a LCY-MAD BA cityflyer flight on 25th Nov(only date I can take it) to meet the challenge in V fare(not able to find a 1x earning fare for LHR-MAD)

Does BA Cityflyer qualify for AA EQP?
Old Oct 25, 2014, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by Acid
I am currently on a platinum challenge expiring 25th Nov and am 740 points short of 10K. I was hoping to take a LCY-MAD BA cityflyer flight on 25th Nov(only date I can take it) to meet the challenge in V fare(not able to find a 1x earning fare for LHR-MAD)

Does BA Cityflyer qualify for AA EQP?
Yes, flights on BA cityflier also qualify.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, CC Gold
How long does it usually take for the status to change? I took the platinum challenge and the last miles breaking the 10 000 EQP treshold posted yesterday, but my status still shows only gold.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by ghenu
How long does it usually take for the status to change? I took the platinum challenge and the last miles breaking the 10 000 EQP treshold posted yesterday, but my status still shows only gold.
I'd give it at least 24-48 hours.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, CC Gold
Originally Posted by rwoman
I'd give it at least 24-48 hours.
Ok, I'll wait for one more day. Thank you rwoman for your fast reply!
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by ghenu
Though rwoman is right that you should probably wait a couple days before worrying, my Platinum status posted before the qualifying flight credit appeared in my account history on a challenge completed last month.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:52 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Just to add another data point, I saw mine within 24-48 hours.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:01 pm

I started and completed my challenge after June 15 and should expect to see PLT status until February 2016. However, the recent buyback / boost page states that my PLT status is set to expire in February 2015 (see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ming-soon.html). Is anyone else getting this?
Old Nov 10, 2014, 9:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Debonaire
I started and completed my challenge after June 15 and should expect to see PLT status until February 2016. However, the recent buyback / boost page states that my PLT status is set to expire in February 2015 (see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ming-soon.html). Is anyone else getting this?
The Boost pages and program for 2015 status are riddled with errors. Your status will expire the last day of February in 2016.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:02 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by JDiver
The Boost pages and program for 2015 status are riddled with errors. Your status will expire the last day of February in 2016.
Just checking one thing

You say you started your challenge after June 15
- do you mean that the 'official' start date of the challenge was after June 15
- or do you mean the date of your first flight that counted towards the challenge was after June 15
It's the official start date that decides how long the status last for
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:26 pm

Thanks for checking! (And thanks for the confirmation, JDiver!)

My official start date was after June 15. I paid $240, and also got an email confirming that it will indeed last until February 2016. I'm guessing the boost page is just drawing the 2015 date from some other (incorrect) information in the system.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 11:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks for checking! (And thanks for the confirmation, JDiver!)

My official start date was after June 15. I paid $240, and also got an email confirming that it will indeed last until February 2016. I'm guessing the boost page is just drawing the 2015 date from some other (incorrect) information in the system.
Beginning the Challenge June 16 or later is the crucial bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.