Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Elite Status Challenge (CLOSED: "hard end" 23 Dec 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
HELP DESK: AAdvantage Elite Status Challenge (Gold and Platinum)
Challenges may no longer be enrolled in as of 6 Oct; hard end date 23 Dec 2015 -
but some reporting success 6 Oct backdating to 23 Sep by supervisors

This is the archived thread about the now defunct AAdvantage elite Gold and Platinum status challenge. The current thread can be read here.

NOTE: Challenges were closed off September 23 2015, at least for the remainder of 2015 - some have succeeded in enrolling and backdating to 23 Sep.

It is possible a new, remodeled challenge will be announced in or for 2016. That discussion is here: Original Gold / Platinum Challenge Ended 23 Sep '15. New program to come?

This thread is now dedicated to requests for assistance and responses to clarify challenge requirements for those members currently engaged in challenges and related issues. To discuss the potential and form of any future challenge, please use the link provided above.

NOTE: The rules for the Challenge at the time of closure are preserved below. The date by which the last person would have completed this challenge would be 23 December 2015.
Gold and Platinum challenges (there is usually no EXP challenge) can be flown to gain a "short cut" to status. To earn status you must register (and pay a fee $100-$140 for Gold, $200-240 for Platinum*) and fly to earn 5,000 or 10,000 elite-qualifying base Points (not miles) in a three month period, using American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights* and miles must be credited to AAdvantage.

Note: The four AA segment minimum required for regular status qualification does not apply to completing the challenge.

Class of service, status or other bonus miles are redeemable miles and thus do not count for the challenge. Class of service is the reigning factor in calculating the points earned per mile flown: the base points per mile charts for the various fare buckets on qualifying airlines are here.

Note: The "Reach elite status faster" promotion awarding 2 or even 3 EQ Points per mile for flying premium fares through 2015 does not apply to the challenge; challenge flyers will only have a maximum of 1.5 base EQP per base EQ Mile considered for challenge-earned status. The extra points are considered bonus points and are only applicable for earning "normal", non-challenge status.

Though one earned status bonus miles on the qualifying flight at one time, that is no longer possible. Status bonus miles will accrue on the next eligible flight after your status qualifying flight.

Also see (FT) Help Understanding Status, Points / Miles & Segments: EQM vs EQP (merged thread) for further assistance with the miles-EQMiles-points issue.

For miles calculations, many use the Great Circle Mapper tool

*for Platinum, Jan-Jun $200, Jul - Dec $240 - presumably for the max nine months of status vs. the max of 20 months $240 of status. Occasionally, there are "sales" reductions; they seem to be about 10%.

Challenges begun before June 16 of a given year earn status for the remainder of that year and the first two months of the following year (8-14 months total); challenges begun on or after June 16 grant status for the remainder of that year, the following year, and the first two months of the year after (14-20 months total). Challenges can begin anytime (not previously the case) and can even be backdated up to two weeks as far as we know (as of Nov 2013).

To sign up for a challenge, call AAdvantage Customer Service at +1-800-882-8880.

Link to cyclingpilot post about being granted a back-dated challenge (2 weeks)

You cannot use a challenge to requalify for status. There is no longer a "soft landing" to the next lower level of status. The flight on which the challenge is completed no longer earns the redeemable miles bonus for the new status level.

Some have been granted Gold status whilst flying a Platinum challenge, particularly those with current elite status (any level) on an airline of a competing alliance, but this is not a given.

Based on multiple reports from FT members, as of mid-2015 AA is only allowing one status challenge over a five year period.

August 2014 e-mail received by a Challenger, shared by ashill:

Thank you for registering for an AAdvantage® challenge.

To enjoy AAdvantage PLATINUM status through February 2016, please earn 10,000 elite qualifying points between now and [redacted]. Qualifying flights on American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights count toward your challenge.

Since the number of elite qualifying points you earn is based on the fare you purchase and the miles you earn, you can view these details for each airline:We wish you every success in attaining the elite status level you desire.

Sincerely,

Janet L F[redacted]
Director
AAdvantage Customer Service
Older posts have been archived (in many cases they contain obsolete information): Archive: Help Desk: AAdvantage Gold, Platinum Elite Status Challenge
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Elite Status Challenge (CLOSED: "hard end" 23 Dec 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2015, 1:59 pm

I know I can enroll from 6/1 if my flight is 6/11-6-19. What I want to know is that there is any possibility I enroll from 6/16 but AA still accumulate my outbond flight into my platinum challenge?

The most important thing is if I enroll from 6/16 and fly over 10k EQM, the platinum membership is valid thru 2017/2.

Thanks for the advice and I will ask AA CRS about this issue.

Last edited by terresawang; Jan 4, 2015 at 2:09 pm
Old Jan 5, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: AS,TK
Just signed up

I just signed up the Platinum challenge and the agent was very nice offering the free gold and do the mile calculation for me.. however I only received the receipt so far.. no confirmation?

Should I wait for confirmation ?

Thanks
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I'm planning to sign up for a challenge prior to an upcoming trip I have. The trip will be GSO-CLT-SFO-DFW-GSO, all booked in V on American, so these should all count for 100% Points. It looks like the routing will earn 4,843 EQMs and 4,843 EQPs.

I don't have any other travel booked yet, but expect to have at least a few more trips over the next 90 days. It's hard to tell for sure whether I'll hit 10,000 EQPs, so I'm trying to decide whether to sign up for a Gold Challenge or Platinum Challenge:

• If I sign up for a Gold Challenge ($120) and do earn over 10,000 EQPs, will I get Platinum? This blog post suggests yes ("You can go for the Gold but still get Platinum"), but that doesn't seem to make sense to me (why would anyone pay double for the Platinum Challenge?)
  • If I sign up for the Platinum Challenge ($200) and earn more than 5,000 EQPs but less than 10,000 EQPs, will I still earn/keep Gold Status? I think the answer to this is no, but wanted to clarify.

Input/clarification would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:42 am

Thanks in advance for spending a few minutes with my question!! I must admit that I'm sort of lost.

The main question is: shall I take the challenge or not. Even if I'm *A and Skyteam Gold, I dont have OW Status. I do not fly OW that much, but it *might* change 2016.

I will fly the following beginning next week and within the required 3 months of the challence.

Between January and March 2015:
PRG-LHR BOOKING CLASS "S" MILES 651 POINTS 325
LHR-IAH BOOKING CLASS "O" MILES 4829 POINTS 2417
IAH-LHR BOOKING CLASS "O" MILES 4829 POINTS 2417
LHR-PRG BOOKING CLASS "S" MILES 651 POINTS 325
PRG-LHR BOOKING CLASS "S" MILES 651 POINTS 325
LHR-LAX BOOKING CLASS "Q" MILES 5456 POINTS 2728
LAX-HNL BOOKING CLASS "S" MILES 2556 POINTS 1278
HNL-LAX BOOKING CLASS "Q" MILES 2556 POINTS 1278
LAX-LHR BOOKING CLASS "Q" MILES 5456 POINTS 2728
LHR-PRG BOOKING CLASS "S" MILES 651 POINTS 325
TOTAL MILES 27.635 POINTS 14146

Between October and December 2015:
CAI-BKK BOOKING CLASS "A" MILES 4562 POINTS 6847
BKK-CAI BOOKING CLASS "A" MILES 4562 POINTS 6847
TOTAL MILES 9124 POINTS 13694

ADDING EVERYTHING: 36759 MILES, 27840 POINTS

Now I need your help. Does it make any sense to take the challenge? All the first flights should give me Gold. The flights in October are business with Qatar, therefore zero advantage in terms of OW status.

Still I want the best possible status for 2016 as long as I do not throw away money for a challenge.

*Thanks indeed*
^
Old Jan 6, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Hi folks,

I'm trying to transition from CX Gold to AA Gold, and with a bunch of travel in the States in the next month, this seems like a good time to challenge.

Question is - can I input my CX number at seat selection, to get free MCE as a Sapphire, then switch to AA and credit the bum-in-seat miles towards the challenge?

Thanks!
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA,BA
Originally Posted by flyinstyle
I just signed up the Platinum challenge and the agent was very nice offering the free gold and do the mile calculation for me.. however I only received the receipt so far.. no confirmation?

Should I wait for confirmation ?

Thanks
Your confirmation should arrive in 24-48hrs. However, check your account (online or app)--if you see now see Gold status then you are all set.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by tmm1012
  • If I sign up for a Gold Challenge ($120) and do earn over 10,000 EQPs, will I get Platinum? This blog post suggests yes ("You can go for the Gold but still get Platinum"), but that doesn't seem to make sense to me (why would anyone pay double for the Platinum Challenge?)
  • If I sign up for the Platinum Challenge ($200) and earn more than 5,000 EQPs but less than 10,000 EQPs, will I still earn/keep Gold Status? I think the answer to this is no, but wanted to clarify.

Input/clarification would be greatly appreciated!

For the first question: if you sign up for Gold Challenge but earn more than the 10k required for Platinum, you can pay an additional $125 to upgrade (i.e. total would be $120 +125).
For the second question: if I recall correctly, no. Not earning the required 10k would be considered a failed attempt and the fee is non-refundable. Therefore, and since your plans are not set for the 90 day period, sign up for the Gold Challenge and later upgrade if necessary.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by IncaTrails
For the first question: if you sign up for Gold Challenge but earn more than the 10k required for Platinum, you can pay an additional $125 to upgrade (i.e. total would be $120 +125).
For the second question: if I recall correctly, no. Not earning the required 10k would be considered a failed attempt and the fee is non-refundable. Therefore, and since your plans are not set for the 90 day period, sign up for the Gold Challenge and later upgrade if necessary.
This is perfect - thank you so much for clarifying! I definitely think my plan will be to sign up for the Gold challenge, and upgrade if I do end up reaching the 10k Platinum Threshold.

Cheers! ^
Old Jan 6, 2015, 7:07 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by IncaTrails
Agent on the phone today was very clear that signing up for Platinum, and only reaching enough to qualify for Gold, would still result in Gold status.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hilton Gold; SPG/Marriott Gold; IHG Spire Ambassador
What if your flight overlaps the June 16th date.

For example my outbound is before June 16th, but my inbound is after. Will my inbound count because it is after or will it not count because I started my itinerary before the June 16th date. I want to start on June 16th so I can get benefits until Feb 2017.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by yvrgary
Agent on the phone today was very clear that signing up for Platinum, and only reaching enough to qualify for Gold, would still result in Gold status.

I wasn't quite sure. Apologies for my answer; thank you for the correction.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by strikerr
my outbound is before June 16th, but my inbound is after. Will my inbound count because it is after or will it not count because I started my itinerary before the June 16th date. I want to start on June 16th so I can get benefits until Feb 2017.
That will be fine. It is based on the date of each flight, unrelated to any other flights that happen to be on the same itinerary.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: UA Silver
Following up to share my experience on my PLT challenge.

It was completed with 4 total segments, 2 on AA metal and the other 2 were BA flight numbers but flown on their subsidiary Open Skies (purchased prior to signing up for the challenge).

I requested & was given Gold status as soon as I signed on. The flight that brought me over the 10k points was this past Sunday and when I checked AA.com today, my account was showing PLT.

Thanks again for the help.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, CC Gold
Originally Posted by rachelnyc123
Following up to share my experience on my PLT challenge.

It was completed with 4 total segments, 2 on AA metal and the other 2 were BA flight numbers but flown on their subsidiary Open Skies (purchased prior to signing up for the challenge).

I requested & was given Gold status as soon as I signed on. The flight that brought me over the 10k points was this past Sunday and when I checked AA.com today, my account was showing PLT.

Thanks again for the help.
Congratulations on your new Platinum status! Nice to hear that everything posted fast and smooth
Old Jan 8, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Thanks. Now to book some more travel to get full advantage of status!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.