Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Elite Status Challenge (CLOSED: "hard end" 23 Dec 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
HELP DESK: AAdvantage Elite Status Challenge (Gold and Platinum)
Challenges may no longer be enrolled in as of 6 Oct; hard end date 23 Dec 2015 -
but some reporting success 6 Oct backdating to 23 Sep by supervisors

This is the archived thread about the now defunct AAdvantage elite Gold and Platinum status challenge. The current thread can be read here.

NOTE: Challenges were closed off September 23 2015, at least for the remainder of 2015 - some have succeeded in enrolling and backdating to 23 Sep.

It is possible a new, remodeled challenge will be announced in or for 2016. That discussion is here: Original Gold / Platinum Challenge Ended 23 Sep '15. New program to come?

This thread is now dedicated to requests for assistance and responses to clarify challenge requirements for those members currently engaged in challenges and related issues. To discuss the potential and form of any future challenge, please use the link provided above.

NOTE: The rules for the Challenge at the time of closure are preserved below. The date by which the last person would have completed this challenge would be 23 December 2015.
Gold and Platinum challenges (there is usually no EXP challenge) can be flown to gain a "short cut" to status. To earn status you must register (and pay a fee $100-$140 for Gold, $200-240 for Platinum*) and fly to earn 5,000 or 10,000 elite-qualifying base Points (not miles) in a three month period, using American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights* and miles must be credited to AAdvantage.

Note: The four AA segment minimum required for regular status qualification does not apply to completing the challenge.

Class of service, status or other bonus miles are redeemable miles and thus do not count for the challenge. Class of service is the reigning factor in calculating the points earned per mile flown: the base points per mile charts for the various fare buckets on qualifying airlines are here.

Note: The "Reach elite status faster" promotion awarding 2 or even 3 EQ Points per mile for flying premium fares through 2015 does not apply to the challenge; challenge flyers will only have a maximum of 1.5 base EQP per base EQ Mile considered for challenge-earned status. The extra points are considered bonus points and are only applicable for earning "normal", non-challenge status.

Though one earned status bonus miles on the qualifying flight at one time, that is no longer possible. Status bonus miles will accrue on the next eligible flight after your status qualifying flight.

Also see (FT) Help Understanding Status, Points / Miles & Segments: EQM vs EQP (merged thread) for further assistance with the miles-EQMiles-points issue.

For miles calculations, many use the Great Circle Mapper tool

*for Platinum, Jan-Jun $200, Jul - Dec $240 - presumably for the max nine months of status vs. the max of 20 months $240 of status. Occasionally, there are "sales" reductions; they seem to be about 10%.

Challenges begun before June 16 of a given year earn status for the remainder of that year and the first two months of the following year (8-14 months total); challenges begun on or after June 16 grant status for the remainder of that year, the following year, and the first two months of the year after (14-20 months total). Challenges can begin anytime (not previously the case) and can even be backdated up to two weeks as far as we know (as of Nov 2013).

To sign up for a challenge, call AAdvantage Customer Service at +1-800-882-8880.

Link to cyclingpilot post about being granted a back-dated challenge (2 weeks)

You cannot use a challenge to requalify for status. There is no longer a "soft landing" to the next lower level of status. The flight on which the challenge is completed no longer earns the redeemable miles bonus for the new status level.

Some have been granted Gold status whilst flying a Platinum challenge, particularly those with current elite status (any level) on an airline of a competing alliance, but this is not a given.

Based on multiple reports from FT members, as of mid-2015 AA is only allowing one status challenge over a five year period.

August 2014 e-mail received by a Challenger, shared by ashill:

Thank you for registering for an AAdvantage® challenge.

To enjoy AAdvantage PLATINUM status through February 2016, please earn 10,000 elite qualifying points between now and [redacted]. Qualifying flights on American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights count toward your challenge.

Since the number of elite qualifying points you earn is based on the fare you purchase and the miles you earn, you can view these details for each airline:We wish you every success in attaining the elite status level you desire.

Sincerely,

Janet L F[redacted]
Director
AAdvantage Customer Service
Older posts have been archived (in many cases they contain obsolete information): Archive: Help Desk: AAdvantage Gold, Platinum Elite Status Challenge
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Elite Status Challenge (CLOSED: "hard end" 23 Dec 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2015, 8:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We've moved your query to the proper forum (as explained in the "Announcement").

I'm unsure if you're doing a Challenge or a status match offer, and that may make a difference. Did you get an email from AA?

If it's the UA status match kind of challenge, it's not likely to include CX, as only JBV airlines appear to be included; it's probably:

Originally Posted by Au4882
It was a typo -- they did mean February 2016. I accepted the challenge. Here are the details:

- I called into the number listed on this thread and requested a Status Match. I received an e-mail requesting a copy of my UA 1K card and 2013 year end Statement. I received initial communication on the status challenge offer. I accepted it, and AA then called to confirm my start date (today). The AA rep couldn't have been friendlier... off to a good start!

Details below:

- Granted a trial of Executive Platinum for 3 months
- During the 3 month period, the challenge is 25,000 Elite Qualifying POINTS.
- Start date is the day one requests and confirms the challenge (they called me to confirm that my challenge would start immediately)
- If one completes the challenge, they will be extended Executive Platinum status through the end of February, 2016.
- If one completes the challenge, the 8 SWUs will be deposited into their account at that time -- one will not receive the 8 SWUs during the challenge / trial period.
- For purposes of the challenge, the airlines that qualify are AA, US, BA, IB, AY, JA, and QF and their codeshares.. All other OneWorld carriers to not count for this challenge.
- This appears to be a one-time offer.

Hope this data point helps everyone.
For a Challenge for Gold or Platinum, it's:

Gold and Platinum Challenges (there is usually no EXP Challenge) can be flown to gain a "short cut" to status. To earn status you must register (and pay a fee $100-$140 for Gold, $200-240 for Platinum*) and fly to earn 5,000 or 10,000 elite-qualifying Points in a three month period, using American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights (miles must be credited to AAdvantage). The four AA segment minimum required for regular status qualification does not apply to completing the challenge.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 3, 2015 at 8:34 pm
Old Feb 3, 2015, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
jetsetradio Congratulations on your first FT post (after 6 months)

My understanding you can start the challenge at any date. But 16 June is a key date for status the next year. They will not bend the rules for you.
Oh well, I guess I'll get Qantas Club membership as a consolation prize instead (I think it gives me Admirals Club access so it's helpful for my US trips this year).

Thanks for the help though - I'd have cried if I spent all that time and effort getting Plat only to lose it after 8 months. And thanks re my first post - most of the threads are so helpful that I haven't had to ask anything until now!
Old Feb 3, 2015, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by travel.flier
..CX flight that has an AA flight number count?
If you're actually flying under the AA code that counts as an AA flight.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Unlike UA and their crappy program, any AA flight number (regardless of who flies the actual flight) counts as an American Airlines flight for the purposes of mileage accrual. If you're not sure call and ask an agent.

CX flights generally yield very low to no miles/points on CX flight numbers anyways, you need to book the codeshare AA flight #s.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 11:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
Thanks, it is the status match from UA 1k. But it sounds like as long as i book it as an AA flight number, it doesn't matter who operates the flight to count. woo hoo. nonstop to hkg here i come!
Old Feb 4, 2015, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Thanks, it is the status match from UA 1k. But it sounds like as long as i book it as an AA flight number, it doesn't matter who operates the flight to count. woo hoo. nonstop to hkg here i come!
I inquired to CS desk that granted me the match (1K -> EXP) in October about this specific question and the answer I received was:

For the purposes of your special offer, elite qualifying points may be
earned on qualifying flights on American Airlines (including American
Eagle and AmericanConnection), US Airways, British Airways, Iberia,
Japan Airlines, Qantas, and Finnair (including eligible codeshare
flights marketed by these carriers).
I chose to avoid CX based upon the info given to me.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
I would check the terms of your offer very carefully.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT, NEXUS/GE
I registered for a Plat challenge given that I'll be flying YUL-JFK-LAX-ORD-YUL in March and YUL-DFW-HKG-DFW-YUL in April (both on AA metal). The CS rep assured me I could start my challenge any day of the month, not just the 1st or 16th, so I went ahead and selected March 6. Now the email confirmation I received states "To enjoy AAdvantage PLATINUM status through February 2016, please earn 10,000 elite qualifying points between now and 06/06/2015" (i.e. 3 months after my "start" date); I registered on 30/01/15, which would mean I have a little over 4 months to complete the challenge... Anyone else get a similar "window" to complete theirs?
Old Feb 4, 2015, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 514
I registered for a Plat challenge given that I'll be flying YUL-JFK-LAX-ORD-YUL in March and YUL-DFW-HKG-DFW-YUL in April (both on AA metal). The CS rep assured me I could start my challenge any day of the month, not just the 1st or 16th, so I went ahead and selected March 6. Now the email confirmation I received states "To enjoy AAdvantage PLATINUM status through February 2016, please earn 10,000 elite qualifying points between now and 06/06/2015" (i.e. 3 months after my "start" date); I registered on 30/01/15, which would mean I have a little over 4 months to complete the challenge... Anyone else get a similar "window" to complete theirs?
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Interesting! But, I'd recommend hanging on to that e-mail if you think of taking advantage of the extended qualification period.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by 514
Welcome to FT!

That's still just 3 months, you said it yourself.

06/MAR/2015 - 06/JUN/2015 is a 3 month challenge period. The date you signed up does not matter, as everything your earn before March 6 won't count for the challenge.

Enjoy your new (soon to be) status!

Last edited by Djokison; Feb 5, 2015 at 4:11 am
Old Feb 6, 2015, 7:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Platinum, Cathay Pacific Gold, club carlson Gold, Le club Accor Platinum
Sorry I have a couple of questions for the challenge.

1 Do I need to talk to the AAdvantage account service agent to register for the challenge or I can talk to any reservation representative to register the challenge. I just called the 1800 number and it seems the AAdvantage account help desk is closed now. I have two flights booked on the 15th this month, not sure if it will give me enough time to sign up for the challenge.
2. Apparently they only offer challenges to Gold or platinum. what is the chance they would offer a challenge to exp platinum. I am a superlite 100k member with Air Canada.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by supremekai
Sorry I have a couple of questions for the challenge.

1 Do I need to talk to the AAdvantage account service agent to register for the challenge or I can talk to any reservation representative to register the challenge. I just called the 1800 number and it seems the AAdvantage account help desk is closed now. I have two flights booked on the 15th this month, not sure if it will give me enough time to sign up for the challenge.
2. Apparently they only offer challenges to Gold or platinum. what is the chance they would offer a challenge to exp platinum. I am a superlite 100k member with Air Canada.
1) Look up at the wiki rendered at the top of every page; the number is there.

2) No; not likely at all, but if you don't ask, it's 100% sure you won't.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 7:48 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Platinum, Cathay Pacific Gold, club carlson Gold, Le club Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by JDiver
1) Look up at the wiki rendered at the top of every page; the number is there.

2) No; not likely at all, but if you don't ask, it's 100% sure you won't.
Thanks for the info. yeah I called the 1-800-882-8880 and selected the option aadvantage account service. apparently they only open monday to friday 9-5 cst...
Old Feb 6, 2015, 9:56 pm

Points v Miles

Hey gang,
I have what may be a basic question; but I surely don't know the answer. I signed up for the Gold Challenge and am well on my way. I want to use some of my miles to fly to LAS. Will using reward miles affect my Gold Challenge progress at all or are they unrelated?

Appreciate any guidance
-Blair
Old Feb 6, 2015, 10:16 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Anyone know how I can book a non-deep-discount fare class through the AA website?

Got an LAX turn coming up that'll put me over the top on my challenge, but only if it earns 1.0 EQP/mile, instead of the 0.5 I'll get from the Q fare the website wants to sell me.

Anyone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.