Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Elite Status Challenge (CLOSED: "hard end" 23 Dec 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
HELP DESK: AAdvantage Elite Status Challenge (Gold and Platinum)
Challenges may no longer be enrolled in as of 6 Oct; hard end date 23 Dec 2015 -
but some reporting success 6 Oct backdating to 23 Sep by supervisors

This is the archived thread about the now defunct AAdvantage elite Gold and Platinum status challenge. The current thread can be read here.

NOTE: Challenges were closed off September 23 2015, at least for the remainder of 2015 - some have succeeded in enrolling and backdating to 23 Sep.

It is possible a new, remodeled challenge will be announced in or for 2016. That discussion is here: Original Gold / Platinum Challenge Ended 23 Sep '15. New program to come?

This thread is now dedicated to requests for assistance and responses to clarify challenge requirements for those members currently engaged in challenges and related issues. To discuss the potential and form of any future challenge, please use the link provided above.

NOTE: The rules for the Challenge at the time of closure are preserved below. The date by which the last person would have completed this challenge would be 23 December 2015.
Gold and Platinum challenges (there is usually no EXP challenge) can be flown to gain a "short cut" to status. To earn status you must register (and pay a fee $100-$140 for Gold, $200-240 for Platinum*) and fly to earn 5,000 or 10,000 elite-qualifying base Points (not miles) in a three month period, using American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights* and miles must be credited to AAdvantage.

Note: The four AA segment minimum required for regular status qualification does not apply to completing the challenge.

Class of service, status or other bonus miles are redeemable miles and thus do not count for the challenge. Class of service is the reigning factor in calculating the points earned per mile flown: the base points per mile charts for the various fare buckets on qualifying airlines are here.

Note: The "Reach elite status faster" promotion awarding 2 or even 3 EQ Points per mile for flying premium fares through 2015 does not apply to the challenge; challenge flyers will only have a maximum of 1.5 base EQP per base EQ Mile considered for challenge-earned status. The extra points are considered bonus points and are only applicable for earning "normal", non-challenge status.

Though one earned status bonus miles on the qualifying flight at one time, that is no longer possible. Status bonus miles will accrue on the next eligible flight after your status qualifying flight.

Also see (FT) Help Understanding Status, Points / Miles & Segments: EQM vs EQP (merged thread) for further assistance with the miles-EQMiles-points issue.

For miles calculations, many use the Great Circle Mapper tool

*for Platinum, Jan-Jun $200, Jul - Dec $240 - presumably for the max nine months of status vs. the max of 20 months $240 of status. Occasionally, there are "sales" reductions; they seem to be about 10%.

Challenges begun before June 16 of a given year earn status for the remainder of that year and the first two months of the following year (8-14 months total); challenges begun on or after June 16 grant status for the remainder of that year, the following year, and the first two months of the year after (14-20 months total). Challenges can begin anytime (not previously the case) and can even be backdated up to two weeks as far as we know (as of Nov 2013).

To sign up for a challenge, call AAdvantage Customer Service at +1-800-882-8880.

Link to cyclingpilot post about being granted a back-dated challenge (2 weeks)

You cannot use a challenge to requalify for status. There is no longer a "soft landing" to the next lower level of status. The flight on which the challenge is completed no longer earns the redeemable miles bonus for the new status level.

Some have been granted Gold status whilst flying a Platinum challenge, particularly those with current elite status (any level) on an airline of a competing alliance, but this is not a given.

Based on multiple reports from FT members, as of mid-2015 AA is only allowing one status challenge over a five year period.

August 2014 e-mail received by a Challenger, shared by ashill:

Thank you for registering for an AAdvantage® challenge.

To enjoy AAdvantage PLATINUM status through February 2016, please earn 10,000 elite qualifying points between now and [redacted]. Qualifying flights on American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights count toward your challenge.

Since the number of elite qualifying points you earn is based on the fare you purchase and the miles you earn, you can view these details for each airline:We wish you every success in attaining the elite status level you desire.

Sincerely,

Janet L F[redacted]
Director
AAdvantage Customer Service
Older posts have been archived (in many cases they contain obsolete information): Archive: Help Desk: AAdvantage Gold, Platinum Elite Status Challenge
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Elite Status Challenge (CLOSED: "hard end" 23 Dec 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Plat Challenge questions

Hi folks,

I'm just this week starting a new job that will involve a bunch of US travel, which I'm able to steer to AA/US. My travel in the States hasn't been frequent enough for status in the past (mostly Canada and Asia) so I'm just learning the AA/US program from scratch.

A quick bit of math shows that even at 50% EQP per mile flown, I'll hit 10,000 points in 90 days starting from next week, so I'm considering a Platinum Challenge.

I'm currently OW Sapphire (Cathay Gold) which lasts until June 30, 2015, so I could just use that for lounge access / MCE etc. and then challenge April-May-June, to extend the AA status for longer, but my thinking is that the earlier I have AA Plat, the better my chances of re-qualifying "naturally" for 2016.

If anyone could help me with a few questions, I'd surely appreciate it!

- If I pass the challenge before June 30, the status is for 2015, if I pass on July 1st, the status is for the rest of 2015 and 2016?

- If I pass the challenge, do I have it right that as a Plat I would then earn EQM with a 100% bonus? That is, flying 1,000 miles yields 2,000 EQM?

- US shows that even the lowest Y fares earn 100% EQM, but doesn't specify how they earn EQP. Is it the same 50% valuation that AA uses?

- Am I right that the only major difference between flying as an OW Sapphire and an AA Plat is my place on the upgrade list and 500-mile upgrades earned?

Thanks!
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Debonaire
Thanks for checking! (And thanks for the confirmation, JDiver!)

My official start date was after June 15. I paid $240, and also got an email confirming that it will indeed last until February 2016. I'm guessing the boost page is just drawing the 2015 date from some other (incorrect) information in the system.
My wife finds herself in an identical situation. The most worrying aspect is that when she called the UK AAdvantage number they were adamant that her status will expire in Feb 2015. She's sent an email to Customer Services and is waiting for their response.

I have a hunch that they'll be getting quite of few of those.

Last edited by Blueboys999; Nov 11, 2014 at 10:41 am
Old Nov 11, 2014, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by yvrgary
Hi folks,

I'm just this week starting a new job that will involve a bunch of US travel, which I'm able to steer to AA/US. My travel in the States hasn't been frequent enough for status in the past (mostly Canada and Asia) so I'm just learning the AA/US program from scratch.

A quick bit of math shows that even at 50% EQP per mile flown, I'll hit 10,000 points in 90 days starting from next week, so I'm considering a Platinum Challenge.

I'm currently OW Sapphire (Cathay Gold) which lasts until June 30, 2015, so I could just use that for lounge access / MCE etc. and then challenge April-May-June, to extend the AA status for longer, but my thinking is that the earlier I have AA Plat, the better my chances of re-qualifying "naturally" for 2016.

If anyone could help me with a few questions, I'd surely appreciate it!

- If I pass the challenge before June 30, the status is for 2015, if I pass on July 1st, the status is for the rest of 2015 and 2016?
No, if you start the challenge on or before June 15, year x, the status is good through Feb 28/29 x+1. If you start the challenge on or after June 16, year x, the status is good through Feb 28/29 x+2. As noted in the post one or two before yours, the date you complete the challenge is irrelevant; all that matters is the official start date.

- If I pass the challenge, do I have it right that as a Plat I would then earn EQM with a 100% bonus? That is, flying 1,000 miles yields 2,000 EQM?
No, you earn RDMs with a 100% bonus. EQMs have no bonus based on elite status.

- US shows that even the lowest Y fares earn 100% EQM, but doesn't specify how they earn EQP. Is it the same 50% valuation that AA uses?
The AAdvantage earning page for US clearly shows which US fare classes earn 50% points. Were you looking at usairways.com? If so, that's irrelevant for AAdvantage; that would show the US Dividend Miles earning rates, not the AAdvantage earning rates.

- Am I right that the only major difference between flying as an OW Sapphire and an AA Plat is my place on the upgrade list and 500-mile upgrades earned?
That's probably the biggest (ie you cannot upgrade as a non-AA/US Sapphire; on AA metal, you'll be fairly high on the upgrade list as an AA Platinum, and near the bottom but on the list as a US Gold/Platinum). Also, you can call the AA reservations number and be places in a priority queue with your AAdvantage Platinum status; I'm virtually certain that benefit isn't available to partner elites, even US elites. In times of significant IRROPS, that benefit can be huge.

In terms of published benefits, most other benefits for AA/US Sapphires translate to alliance partner Sapphires, as far as I know. Of course, in IRROPS, AA might be inclined to treat their own elites a little better than partner elites.

AA/US Sapphire status does not make you eligible for lounge access on most intra-North America itineraries; CX (or any other oneworld airline) Sapphire status does make you eligible for lounge access on all AA itineraries.

The other obvious difference is that you accrue AA miles instead of CX points. I have no idea which are more valuable for you and your travel patterns.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 12:24 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by ashill
No, if you start the challenge on or before June 15, year x, the status is good through Feb 28/29 x+1. If you start the challenge on or after June 16, year x, the status is good through Feb 28/29 x+2. As noted in the post one or two before yours, the date you complete the challenge is irrelevant; all that matters is the official start date.
So if I start the challenge this week, and complete it in January 2015, my status would be good until Feb 2016?

That's probably the biggest (ie you cannot upgrade as a non-AA/US Sapphire; on AA metal, you'll be fairly high on the upgrade list as an AA Platinum, and near the bottom but on the list as a US Gold/Platinum).
I didn't know that one at all. So, my non-AA/US Sapphire status does make me eligible for MCE seats, but not for actual upgrades?

Thanks for your help!
Old Nov 11, 2014, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by yvrgary
So if I start the challenge this week, and complete it in January 2015, my status would be good until Feb 2016?

I didn't know that one at all. So, my non-AA/US Sapphire status does make me eligible for MCE seats, but not for actual upgrades?
Yes to both.

US frequent flyer programs are unusual in the world in that the focus of elite status is complimentary or cheap space-available upgrades rather than lounge access. CX doesn't offer AA elites (or their own elites, for that matter) complimentary upgrades, so AA doesn't offer them to CX elites.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: *G on UA Platinum / OW SPH on BA Silver
possible to waive 260 USD status challenge fee?

hey guys...I am new to FT but actually have been reading the forum for quite a while before I finally registered my acct. :-P

could I ask a question re. AA Platinum status challenge?

1. I understood there is 260 USD up/fee need to be paid in order to participate the challenge. however, I am current *G (via UA) and OW SPH. is it possible I can get waived the fee? I understood both UA and DL did complementary status challenge...if I still have to pay the xxx hundred $ fee, I may have to think twice whether to take AA for my upcoming international J class trip or even if take AA, to credit miles to my AA account.

2. As I hv Gold from its competitor, upon taken the challenge, am I able to enjoy Platinum benefits in the challenge period (like 100% bonus miles)?

thank you so much for your advice!
Old Nov 13, 2014, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by albert520
1. I understood there is 260 USD up/fee need to be paid in order to participate the challenge. however, I am current *G (via UA) and OW SPH. is it possible I can get waived the fee?
Anything's possible, but that is not standard practice. Reports of the fee being waived as part of a status match on this forum are very rare and generally associated with a targeted match program; I don't think there's a current targeted match program. In September, I was charged the fee for a Platinum challenge as a Delta Platinum.

2. As I hv Gold from its competitor, upon taken the challenge, am I able to enjoy Platinum benefits in the challenge period (like 100% bonus miles)?
I was given Gold (AA's 25k elite status level) because of my competitor elite status during my Platinum challenge, so I got the 500 mile minimum, 25% elite bonus, Priority AAccess and discounted main cabin extra seating that come with Gold status. (Again, I had 75k elite status with Delta.) There are many reports of that happening in this thread, but there are few if any reports of passengers being matched to a higher level.

But on both of these questions, it can't hurt to ask.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 1:47 pm

Anything's possible, but that is not standard practice. Reports of the fee being waived as part of a status match on this forum are very rare and generally associated with a targeted match program; I don't think there's a current targeted match program. In September, I was charged the fee for a Platinum challenge as a Delta Platinum.

I was given Gold (AA's 25k elite status level) because of my competitor elite status during my Platinum challenge, so I got the 500 mile minimum, 25% elite bonus, Priority AAccess and discounted main cabin extra seating that come with Gold status. (Again, I had 75k elite status with Delta.) There are many reports of that happening in this thread, but there are few if any reports of passengers being matched to a higher level.

But on both of these questions, it can't hurt to ask.
hey ashill thank you vm for advice here! as you are already DL 75k (should be well between AA P and EXP) but they still only offer you perks on AA G, that looks really not reasonable..I am current UA 50k lvl so don't think I gonna get through AA P without charge either. phew, how come UA and DL are both expanding elite aggressively while AA not. in this case, I should be better off to credit my AA miles to my BA SPH anyway as BA SPH offer 100% extra on AA.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: AA EXP
Just did this!

I have a HEL-LAX-YYZ-NYC-HEL trip coming up so I decided to do the challenge. I was booked in a mixture of O/Q/G/S, but after finding out about the challenge I was able to change to V so now I'll get plat status just from this trip. Luckily the booking was still in the ticketing queue so there weren't any change fees and the price hike was moderate (around $500 in total).

1. I understood there is 260 USD up/fee need to be paid in order to participate the challenge.
The fee actually changes depending on how close it is to the end of the year. Right now it is $200.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by lennol
Just did this!

I have a HEL-LAX-YYZ-NYC-HEL trip coming up so I decided to do the challenge. I was booked in a mixture of O/Q/G/S, but after finding out about the challenge I was able to change to V so now I'll get plat status just from this trip. Luckily the booking was still in the ticketing queue so there weren't any change fees and the price hike was moderate (around $500 in total).

The fee actually changes depending on how close it is to the end of the year. Right now it is $200.
wow...really unbelieveble price given how complicated the itinerary is...you fly on AY and AA? where do you book it?
Old Nov 14, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP
wow...really unbelieveble price given how complicated the itinerary is...you fly on AY and AA? where do you book it?
AHHHH just realized how badly I worded that, sorry! English is not my first language as you can probably tell. Not in total, I meant the price hike from deep discount to discount economy. The total fare was originally around $1300 and then hiked to $1800 with the class upgrade. Still not that bad given that it was booked a week before departure.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by lennol
AHHHH just realized how badly I worded that, sorry! English is not my first language as you can probably tell. Not in total, I meant the price hike from deep discount to discount economy. The total fare was originally around $1300 and then hiked to $1800 with the class upgrade. Still not that bad given that it was booked a week before departure.
haha no worry, just figured out I misread it. so in total 600+200 cost for the AA P status for a year. not bad. :-) enjoy the trip!
Old Nov 14, 2014, 1:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
hey ashill thank you vm for advice here! as you are already DL 75k (should be well between AA P and EXP) but they still only offer you perks on AA G, that looks really not reasonable..I am current UA 50k lvl so don't think I gonna get through AA P without charge either. phew, how come UA and DL are both expanding elite aggressively while AA not. in this case, I should be better off to credit my AA miles to my BA SPH anyway as BA SPH offer 100% extra on AA.
UA just followed DL to the nth degree in increasing the spend required for status (in addition to other requirements); BA (and QF) require more than mere miles flown to calculate status tiers. Be sure you check to see the grass is really greener over the fences.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 17, 2014 at 2:57 pm Reason: amend to intended DL
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
UA just followed UA to the nth degree in increasing the spend required for status (in addition to other requirements); BA (and QF) require more than mere miles flown to calculate status tiers. Be sure you check to see the grass is really greener over the fences.
by taking J class often, BA 600 TP for sapphire qualification is well below 50k PQM on AA / UA. however, BA requires 4 segment on BA which is not possible for me as I am not flying trans Atlantic...
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:27 am

by BA requires 4 segment on BA
I just noticed AA also has the same segment rule. I presume the challenge will not require 4 segments.

Note: Members must fly at least four segments on American Airlines, American Eagle, US Airways, US Airways Express or US Airways Shuttle to qualify for Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold status within the qualifying year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.