Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Elite Status Challenge (CLOSED: "hard end" 23 Dec 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
HELP DESK: AAdvantage Elite Status Challenge (Gold and Platinum)
Challenges may no longer be enrolled in as of 6 Oct; hard end date 23 Dec 2015 -
but some reporting success 6 Oct backdating to 23 Sep by supervisors

This is the archived thread about the now defunct AAdvantage elite Gold and Platinum status challenge. The current thread can be read here.

NOTE: Challenges were closed off September 23 2015, at least for the remainder of 2015 - some have succeeded in enrolling and backdating to 23 Sep.

It is possible a new, remodeled challenge will be announced in or for 2016. That discussion is here: Original Gold / Platinum Challenge Ended 23 Sep '15. New program to come?

This thread is now dedicated to requests for assistance and responses to clarify challenge requirements for those members currently engaged in challenges and related issues. To discuss the potential and form of any future challenge, please use the link provided above.

NOTE: The rules for the Challenge at the time of closure are preserved below. The date by which the last person would have completed this challenge would be 23 December 2015.
Gold and Platinum challenges (there is usually no EXP challenge) can be flown to gain a "short cut" to status. To earn status you must register (and pay a fee $100-$140 for Gold, $200-240 for Platinum*) and fly to earn 5,000 or 10,000 elite-qualifying base Points (not miles) in a three month period, using American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights* and miles must be credited to AAdvantage.

Note: The four AA segment minimum required for regular status qualification does not apply to completing the challenge.

Class of service, status or other bonus miles are redeemable miles and thus do not count for the challenge. Class of service is the reigning factor in calculating the points earned per mile flown: the base points per mile charts for the various fare buckets on qualifying airlines are here.

Note: The "Reach elite status faster" promotion awarding 2 or even 3 EQ Points per mile for flying premium fares through 2015 does not apply to the challenge; challenge flyers will only have a maximum of 1.5 base EQP per base EQ Mile considered for challenge-earned status. The extra points are considered bonus points and are only applicable for earning "normal", non-challenge status.

Though one earned status bonus miles on the qualifying flight at one time, that is no longer possible. Status bonus miles will accrue on the next eligible flight after your status qualifying flight.

Also see (FT) Help Understanding Status, Points / Miles & Segments: EQM vs EQP (merged thread) for further assistance with the miles-EQMiles-points issue.

For miles calculations, many use the Great Circle Mapper tool

*for Platinum, Jan-Jun $200, Jul - Dec $240 - presumably for the max nine months of status vs. the max of 20 months $240 of status. Occasionally, there are "sales" reductions; they seem to be about 10%.

Challenges begun before June 16 of a given year earn status for the remainder of that year and the first two months of the following year (8-14 months total); challenges begun on or after June 16 grant status for the remainder of that year, the following year, and the first two months of the year after (14-20 months total). Challenges can begin anytime (not previously the case) and can even be backdated up to two weeks as far as we know (as of Nov 2013).

To sign up for a challenge, call AAdvantage Customer Service at +1-800-882-8880.

Link to cyclingpilot post about being granted a back-dated challenge (2 weeks)

You cannot use a challenge to requalify for status. There is no longer a "soft landing" to the next lower level of status. The flight on which the challenge is completed no longer earns the redeemable miles bonus for the new status level.

Some have been granted Gold status whilst flying a Platinum challenge, particularly those with current elite status (any level) on an airline of a competing alliance, but this is not a given.

Based on multiple reports from FT members, as of mid-2015 AA is only allowing one status challenge over a five year period.

August 2014 e-mail received by a Challenger, shared by ashill:

Thank you for registering for an AAdvantage® challenge.

To enjoy AAdvantage PLATINUM status through February 2016, please earn 10,000 elite qualifying points between now and [redacted]. Qualifying flights on American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights count toward your challenge.

Since the number of elite qualifying points you earn is based on the fare you purchase and the miles you earn, you can view these details for each airline:We wish you every success in attaining the elite status level you desire.

Sincerely,

Janet L F[redacted]
Director
AAdvantage Customer Service
Older posts have been archived (in many cases they contain obsolete information): Archive: Help Desk: AAdvantage Gold, Platinum Elite Status Challenge
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Elite Status Challenge (CLOSED: "hard end" 23 Dec 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:04 am

Programs: SPG/Marriott Gold, National Emerald Executive
Wanted to offer a data point - I am currently in a Platinum challenge and flew US Airways Tuesday with Dividend Miles # on the reservation. Called AAdvantage today and they said they needed to put my AAdvantage # on the reservation. So, if you are doing a challenge and flying US Airways, you should put your AAdvantage # on the reservation.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by grinch26
Wanted to offer a data point - I am currently in a Platinum challenge and flew US Airways Tuesday with Dividend Miles # on the reservation. Called AAdvantage today and they said they needed to put my AAdvantage # on the reservation. So, if you are doing a challenge and flying US Airways, you should put your AAdvantage # on the reservation.
That basically applies across the board to any airline booking. If you want to earn miles on Airline X, you need your FF# for Airline X on the reservation.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA Platinum; UA Gold
Question US vs AA Booking Class: Which One Counts?

Dear All,

I have booked an itinerary through US Airways (i.e. marketed by US), but operated by AA. The US booking classes (K,V) which I saw when buying the ticket and which I still see when retrieving the booking on www.usairways.com, are different from the AA booking classes (M,K,S) which I see when I retrieve the booking from www.aa.com.

Which booking class will count for qualifying point earning purposes? If the original US booking class quoted at the time of booking the ticket is honored I will complete the Platinum challenge with this return trip, but if the booking class quoted on www.aa.com is applied then I will be only halfway through.

Thank you very much in advance for your feedback.

Markam
Old Oct 2, 2014, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Markam
Dear All,

I have booked an itinerary through US Airways (i.e. marketed by US), but operated by AA. The US booking classes (K,V) which I saw when buying the ticket and which I still see when retrieving the booking on www.usairways.com, are different from the AA booking classes (M,K,S) which I see when I retrieve the booking from www.aa.com.

Which booking class will count for qualifying point earning purposes? If the original US booking class quoted at the time of booking the ticket is honored I will complete the Platinum challenge with this return trip, but if the booking class quoted on www.aa.com is applied then I will be only halfway through.

Thank you very much in advance for your feedback.

Markam
The earning chart for the marketing airline is the one that counts.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Djokison
The earning chart for the marketing airline is the one that counts.
Thanks! So in this case it is the US booking class which counts, per the AAdvantage US Airways chart (http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...us-airways.jsp), since it is US who markets the flights, even if it is AA who actually operates them... correct?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 9:50 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Thanks! So in this case it is the US booking class which counts, per the AAdvantage US Airways chart (http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...us-airways.jsp), since it is US who markets the flights, even if it is AA who actually operates them... correct?
Just to make absolutely sure:
  • marketing carrier means the the airline who's flight number appears on the ticket (so if you are flying on flight US1234 then US is the marketing carrier)
  • it doesn't matter which airline sold you the ticket
  • it doesn't matter which airline's plane is doing the actual flying
Old Oct 3, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
I called the service desk and received an email requesting my United materials. Is this the normal procedure? I thought I would be able to discuss a challenge over the phone and have it set up immediately?

I'm a United 1K attempting to match to at least AA Plat. I've already flown 1 international AA round trip in business to Latin America and have another one booked in a couple of week. I'll earn Gold, but need the challenge to make Plat this year. Curious to see if I get a chance at Exec Plat due to the international J tix I've booked.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by pandaperth
Just to make absolutely sure:
  • marketing carrier means the the airline who's flight number appears on the ticket (so if you are flying on flight US1234 then US is the marketing carrier)
  • it doesn't matter which airline sold you the ticket
  • it doesn't matter which airline's plane is doing the actual flying
Thanks for the clarification. I guess that in this case it is particularly confusing because, if I am not mistaken, US and AA now have the same flight number on codeshare flights (so on the US Airways side it says "FLIGHT #XXXX Operated by American Airlines flight #XXXX"). Therefore, it is not clear-cut whether flights have a US Airways flight number (and are therefore marketed by US Airways), or they are just sold by them (and not marketed).

In any case, it took a while because the lines were jammed with all the bad weather in the Chicago area yesterday, but I finally could speak with AA, and they told me that in this particular case it is the US Airways booking class which matters. They then transferred me to US Airways to double check, and US Airways said the same. So, I should be fine, although I will let you know once I actually fly and get the miles and EQPs.

Again thanks a lot, and hopefully all this will become moot soon(ish), once they complete the merger!

Cheers,
Markam
Old Oct 4, 2014, 8:26 am

Signed up for Platinum challenge yesterday and as a previous poster said, I was only charged $200 and given Gold for the duration of the challenge.

The agent I spoke to was spectacular. She made sure to look through all of my booked itineraries, and made a notation in each of them to say that I have Gold status. Even told me to make sure to re-select my seats as I now qualify for the better seats. All in, these first few dates with AA have been going very well. If it stays that way, I think there might be potential for a LTR.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 10:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks for the clarification. I guess that in this case it is particularly confusing because, if I am not mistaken, US and AA now have the same flight number on codeshare flights (so on the US Airways side it says "FLIGHT #XXXX Operated by American Airlines flight #XXXX"). Therefore, it is not clear-cut whether flights have a US Airways flight number (and are therefore marketed by US Airways), or they are just sold by them (and not marketed).

In any case, it took a while because the lines were jammed with all the bad weather in the Chicago area yesterday, but I finally could speak with AA, and they told me that in this particular case it is the US Airways booking class which matters. They then transferred me to US Airways to double check, and US Airways said the same. So, I should be fine, although I will let you know once I actually fly and get the miles and EQPs.

Again thanks a lot, and hopefully all this will become moot soon(ish), once they complete the merger!

Cheers,
Markam
My most recent experience eaier this week i took AA92 and it was also shown on the status board as US2092 or something like that.

For US fare coding and what each earns, see here.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 11:47 am

Hello AAdvantage Experts!

I'm very glad to have found this board!! I hope somebody here is willing to help me. Thanks a lot in advance!

Right now I have no status at AA.

I'm *A Gold with A3.
I'm Skyteam Gold with OK.

First question: Could you please confirm that AA will not do any status match? Any email adress where I can try my luck?

2014 I have flown:
YTD Elite Qualifying Points 11,530
YTD Elite Qualifying Miles 15,030

As far as I understand the Elite Points and Miles will expire 31-DEC-2014.

Second question: is there a way to re-requalify by using the 2014 miles/points during 2015 (even for a fee)?

I have 2 bookings for 2015.
I'm unsure if I shall do the challange for Platinum or not.

AA BOOKING JAN-2015
PRG-LHR BOOKING CLASS "S" MILES 650 POINTS 50%
LHR-IAH BOOKING CLASS "O" MILES 4829 POINTS 50%
IAH-LHR BOOKING CLASS "O" MILES 4829 POINTS 50%
LHR-PRG BOOKING CLASS "S" MILES 650 POINTS 50%
==================================================
TOTAL MILES 10958, TOTAL POINTS 5479

BA BOOKING FEB-2015
PRG-LHR BOOKING CLASS "S" MILES 650 POINTS 50%
LHR-LAX BOOKING CLASS "Q" MILES 2555 POINTS 50%
LAX-HNL BOOKING CLASS "S" MILES 4113 POINTS 50%
HNL-LAX BOOKING CLASS "Q" MILES 4113 POINTS 50%
LAX-LHR BOOKING CLASS "Q" MILES 2555 POINTS 50%
LHR-PRG BOOKING CLASS "S" MILES 650 POINTS 50%
==================================================
TOTAL MILES 14636, TOTAL POINTS 7318

If the calculator is right:

2015 TOTAL MILES EARNED: 25594
2015 TOTAL POINTS EARNED: 12797

Third question: is it true that BOOKING CLASS "O" does not qualify during the challenge? Should this be true is it possible to upgrade the booking class?

Last but not least, I would really love to have status, mostly for the free lounge access as well as for upgrade chances and priority boarding.

Do you suggest me to do the qualification? Will my 2 bookings be enough?

Thank you very much indeed for your kind help!!!
Old Oct 6, 2014, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by tortellini
Hello AAdvantage Experts!

I'm very glad to have found this board!! I hope somebody here is willing to help me. Thanks a lot in advance!

Right now I have no status at AA.

I'm *A Gold with A3.
I'm Skyteam Gold with OK.

First question: Could you please confirm that AA will not do any status match? Any email adress where I can try my luck?

2014 I have flown:
YTD Elite Qualifying Points 11,530
YTD Elite Qualifying Miles 15,030

As far as I understand the Elite Points and Miles will expire 31-DEC-2014.

Second question: is there a way to re-requalify by using the 2014 miles/points during 2015 (even for a fee)?

I have 2 bookings for 2015.
I'm unsure if I shall do the challange for Platinum or not.

If the calculator is right:

2015 TOTAL MILES EARNED: 25594
2015 TOTAL POINTS EARNED: 12797

Third question: is it true that BOOKING CLASS "O" does not qualify during the challenge? Should this be true is it possible to upgrade the booking class?

Last but not least, I would really love to have status, mostly for the free lounge access as well as for upgrade chances and priority boarding.

Do you suggest me to do the qualification? Will my 2 bookings be enough?

Thank you very much indeed for your kind help!!!
I'm not sure where you got those numbers from, but they're very inaccurate. LAX-LHR is much Longer than LAX-HNL, and the latter is nowhere near 4000 miles.

Your January trip is about right, your Feb trip is closer to 17325.

With this trip, you'd cross the 10.000 EQP threshold on your HNL-LAX flight. It's unlikely that the miles and your status will have posted by then, but even if it did, you'd only be able to use it for lounge access at LAX and Heathrow.

If you really want the status for that return portion, I'd suggest doing a short (370 miles or less) on a oneWorld carrier somewhere between December and February.

As for your numbered questions:
1: No, AA does not do status Matches.
2: No.
3: O class is eligible or mileage accrual and thus also an eligible booking class for the challenge.

Whether it's worth it for you is up to you. If these are your only flights on oneworld, I wouldn't consider it worth it, since you could only use it for your last flights (assuming you do that short MR first.)

Do you have any bookings in December? The challenge is for a 3 month period and can cross over from one year to another.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:18 pm

A couple of questions, pardon me if this was previously asked.

I am UA *G and planning some travel for next summer (far ahead). I found a good itinerary on Finnair, in R booking class which should give me about 12K miles and (if I read the chart correctly) 18K "points".

Here are my questions:
- Is the "status challenge" an ongoing process? Can I (reasonably) assume it will still be available by next year?

- Do flights booked before I registered for the challenge, but flown after, qualify?

- Do flights on Finnair qualify for the challenge? Or is it only the "short list" in the first message in this thread?

Thank you all, and I apologize for the question list. Learning a new FF program isn't easy, as it turns out.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:27 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by br2k
A couple of questions, pardon me if this was previously asked.

I am UA *G and planning some travel for next summer (far ahead). I found a good itinerary on Finnair, in R booking class which should give me about 12K miles and (if I read the chart correctly) 18K "points".

Here are my questions:
- Is the "status challenge" an ongoing process? Can I (reasonably) assume it will still be available by next year?

I think it's a fair assumption it will be back.

- How long ahead of time before flying should I register for the challenge?

Doesn't really matter, as long as your flying falls into the challenge period.

- Do flights booked before I registered for the challenge, but flown after, qualify?

They did for me.

- What could I reasonably expect to get with those 18K points?

I don't understand this. I would look at the award chart if that's what you're referencing.

- If I qualify by July - will my status be valid only for 2015?

I think as long as it's after June 16, you'll be good until early 2017.

Thank you all, and I apologize for the lengthy question list. Learning a new FF program isn't easy, as it turns out.
Answers in bold.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 8:52 pm

Great, thanks

One more question. I am reading the challenge description and it says I can register from either 16th or 1st of any month.
- Let's say I have an outbound flight on June 25th.
- I would like to begin challenge after June 16 to get the longest status period, so sounds like I should start on July 1st?
- If I register for challenge from July 1st - does it mean my outbound flight on June 25th will not count? Or is there some "backdate" period?

Depending on the answer I can shift travel dates a bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.