Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Elite Status Challenge (CLOSED: "hard end" 23 Dec 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
HELP DESK: AAdvantage Elite Status Challenge (Gold and Platinum)
Challenges may no longer be enrolled in as of 6 Oct; hard end date 23 Dec 2015 -
but some reporting success 6 Oct backdating to 23 Sep by supervisors

This is the archived thread about the now defunct AAdvantage elite Gold and Platinum status challenge. The current thread can be read here.

NOTE: Challenges were closed off September 23 2015, at least for the remainder of 2015 - some have succeeded in enrolling and backdating to 23 Sep.

It is possible a new, remodeled challenge will be announced in or for 2016. That discussion is here: Original Gold / Platinum Challenge Ended 23 Sep '15. New program to come?

This thread is now dedicated to requests for assistance and responses to clarify challenge requirements for those members currently engaged in challenges and related issues. To discuss the potential and form of any future challenge, please use the link provided above.

NOTE: The rules for the Challenge at the time of closure are preserved below. The date by which the last person would have completed this challenge would be 23 December 2015.
Gold and Platinum challenges (there is usually no EXP challenge) can be flown to gain a "short cut" to status. To earn status you must register (and pay a fee $100-$140 for Gold, $200-240 for Platinum*) and fly to earn 5,000 or 10,000 elite-qualifying base Points (not miles) in a three month period, using American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights* and miles must be credited to AAdvantage.

Note: The four AA segment minimum required for regular status qualification does not apply to completing the challenge.

Class of service, status or other bonus miles are redeemable miles and thus do not count for the challenge. Class of service is the reigning factor in calculating the points earned per mile flown: the base points per mile charts for the various fare buckets on qualifying airlines are here.

Note: The "Reach elite status faster" promotion awarding 2 or even 3 EQ Points per mile for flying premium fares through 2015 does not apply to the challenge; challenge flyers will only have a maximum of 1.5 base EQP per base EQ Mile considered for challenge-earned status. The extra points are considered bonus points and are only applicable for earning "normal", non-challenge status.

Though one earned status bonus miles on the qualifying flight at one time, that is no longer possible. Status bonus miles will accrue on the next eligible flight after your status qualifying flight.

Also see (FT) Help Understanding Status, Points / Miles & Segments: EQM vs EQP (merged thread) for further assistance with the miles-EQMiles-points issue.

For miles calculations, many use the Great Circle Mapper tool

*for Platinum, Jan-Jun $200, Jul - Dec $240 - presumably for the max nine months of status vs. the max of 20 months $240 of status. Occasionally, there are "sales" reductions; they seem to be about 10%.

Challenges begun before June 16 of a given year earn status for the remainder of that year and the first two months of the following year (8-14 months total); challenges begun on or after June 16 grant status for the remainder of that year, the following year, and the first two months of the year after (14-20 months total). Challenges can begin anytime (not previously the case) and can even be backdated up to two weeks as far as we know (as of Nov 2013).

To sign up for a challenge, call AAdvantage Customer Service at +1-800-882-8880.

Link to cyclingpilot post about being granted a back-dated challenge (2 weeks)

You cannot use a challenge to requalify for status. There is no longer a "soft landing" to the next lower level of status. The flight on which the challenge is completed no longer earns the redeemable miles bonus for the new status level.

Some have been granted Gold status whilst flying a Platinum challenge, particularly those with current elite status (any level) on an airline of a competing alliance, but this is not a given.

Based on multiple reports from FT members, as of mid-2015 AA is only allowing one status challenge over a five year period.

August 2014 e-mail received by a Challenger, shared by ashill:

Thank you for registering for an AAdvantage® challenge.

To enjoy AAdvantage PLATINUM status through February 2016, please earn 10,000 elite qualifying points between now and [redacted]. Qualifying flights on American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights count toward your challenge.

Since the number of elite qualifying points you earn is based on the fare you purchase and the miles you earn, you can view these details for each airline:We wish you every success in attaining the elite status level you desire.

Sincerely,

Janet L F[redacted]
Director
AAdvantage Customer Service
Older posts have been archived (in many cases they contain obsolete information): Archive: Help Desk: AAdvantage Gold, Platinum Elite Status Challenge
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Elite Status Challenge (CLOSED: "hard end" 23 Dec 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Kimpton IC; IHG Diamond Ambassador;
Originally Posted by sperkins921
I don't know how others got lucky with getting Gold status right away. Even with flights out there that would more than cover the EQP's necessary; the rep I spoke with was adamant that I could not have the status and that they would NOT give me any status until I crossed the 10k EQP's and that status would be PLT. (IE no gold up front and no gold once I cross 5k EQP's)

She also would not let me set everything up today. Said I had to wait until Sept 1. She also said if I wait until Sept 1 the price goes back down to $200. She said my choices were two weeks before or after today, and that I was calling too early for anything not flying within the next 1-2 weeks.

Was this wayyyy off base compared to what others were told or experienced?? Something doesn't sound right to me.
Sounds like you may have needed to Hang up and call again
Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: AA Gold, OW Ruby, IHG PLT, JB Mosiac, Delta Silver, VA Silver, AK MVP, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Au4882
Sounds like you may have needed to Hang up and call again
Thats what I was thinking. I mean, it sounded so out of proportion to what others had just experienced today that I was taken off guard. I hope when I call back I don't get her again.

And as an aside, that phone system was insane. Too many press or say this or that to get a live person IMHO
Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:35 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sperkins921
Thats what I was thinking. I mean, it sounded so out of proportion to what others had just experienced today that I was taken off guard. I hope when I call back I don't get her again.

And as an aside, that phone system was insane. Too many press or say this or that to get a live person IMHO
That definitely sounds like a HUCA situation. All of the AAgents I've spoken with over the phone have been wonderful. And remember, the zero button is always there to speak with a rep.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:40 am

Programs: AA Gold, OW Ruby, IHG PLT, JB Mosiac, Delta Silver, VA Silver, AK MVP, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by United747
That definitely sounds like a HUCA situation. All of the AAgents I've spoken with over the phone have been wonderful. And remember, the zero button is always there to speak with a rep.
HAHA. I finally gave up and did just that (pressed 0) because I was like "..., I just want a person!"

I'm going to call again in a bit, see if I get someone different. I could see them not wanting to give status if I had no flights booked or what not- but my one flight is enough to cross gold for sure, and is only 300pts short to meet platinum. I have another flight in Dec, one in Feb, and then two more up in the air- so I KNOW I'm going to make status. It's not an if, it's a when.

And she was like "no, you only get the platinum, we don't give you gold even when you do make the 5,000 points"

I'll just keep calling until I get someone who says something more in line with what I've read here
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:12 am
Formerly richh1833

Programs: QF P1, BA GGL, AS GMVP
Hey guys. Ex SYD here. Looking to do the plat challenge. I wanted to ask a couple questions.

1.Would PE from SYD-SIN r/t cover 10k EQP? 7.8k*1.5=11.7? Correct?

2.I've also heard that AA won't give you your status until you've taken 4 AA segments does still stand correct?

3.About people getting gold when activating the plat challenge, is this still likely to happen?

4. I've also vaguely heard about someone getting their QR flight changed to an AA codeshare at the check in desk at JFK. Any chance of getting this done at SYD check in from SYD-LAX-JFK..?
Thanks all.

Last edited by TheSYDTraveller; Aug 11, 2014 at 2:32 am
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by richh1833
Hey guys. Ex SYD here. Looking to do the plat challenge. I wanted to ask a couple questions.

1.Would PE from SYD-SIN r/t cover 10k EQP?
Based on the earnings chart, premium economy earns 1.5x EQP. LINK

2.I've also heard that AA won't give you your status until you've taken 4 AA segments does still stand correct?
Can't help on this one - sorry; when I did the challenge it was based on an AA outbound LHR-ORD-LAX and BA return LAX-LHR.

3.About people getting gold when activating the plat challenge, is this still likely to happen?
It usually requires the person have higher status in another program.

4. I've also vaguely heard about someone getting their QR flight changed to an AA codeshare at the check in desk at JFK. Any chance of getting this done at SYD check in from SYD-LAX-JFK..?
Thanks all.
Can't help - sorry!
Old Aug 11, 2014, 2:57 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
This is not a requirement of the Challenge; so your PE flight SYD-SIN-SYD on QF will complete the challenge.

(It has long been a requirement for achieving status the 'normal' way - earning sufficient EQM, EQP or EQS for the status level - but until recently it was not enforced, now sadly it is )
Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:02 am
Formerly richh1833

@rwoman all good, thanks for the help.

Originally Posted by pandaperth
This is not a requirement of the Challenge; so your PE flight SYD-SIN-SYD on QF will complete the challenge.

(It has long been a requirement for achieving status the 'normal' way - earning sufficient EQM, EQP or EQS for the status level - but until recently it was not enforced, now sadly it is )
Ah thanks for that pandaperth! So I should get my plat after my challenge.. How does it take AA to confirm that you've completed the challenge?

Another question: If my flight is after the 16th, I should probably start it after the 16th right? No catches here?
Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:33 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Ah thanks for that pandaperth! So I should get my plat after my challenge.. How does it take AA to confirm that you've completed the challenge?
IME the status will show 24/48 hours after the EQPs for the final flight post
Another question: If my flight is after the 16th, I should probably start it after the 16th right? No catches here?
AA doesn't allow you to register for the challenge too far in advance - so register say a month so prior to the first flight

If your first first flight is in August, then go ahead and register now
Old Aug 12, 2014, 4:07 pm

Hey everyone. New here, so sorry if this is obvious. Looking at signing-up for the Platinum Challenge. Have a couple questions:

New traveler with a lot of bi-coastal travel scheduled. Round trip ~5000 miles.

1. Two round-trip tickets at Discount Economy Class (H, K, M, L, W, V) will allow for completion of the Platinum Challenge. However, since the challenge lasts 3 months, is status awarded only at the end of the Challenge, or will it be immediately awarded upon completion of the required points?

At ~5,000 miles round trip, I can achieve Platinum status (at 50,000 miles) in 10 round trips, or 2.5 months, which is shorter than the Challenge time frame.

2. If I sign up for the Platinum challenge, will I be able to potentially sign up for the invite-only Executive Platinum challenge?

Last edited by PlanesTrainsAutomobiles14; Aug 12, 2014 at 4:17 pm Reason: Additional Info
Old Aug 12, 2014, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by PlanesTrainsAutomobiles14
Hey everyone. New here, so sorry if this is obvious. Looking at signing-up for the Platinum Challenge. Have a couple questions:

New traveler with a lot of bi-coastal travel scheduled. Round trip ~5000 miles.

1. Two round-trip tickets at Discount Economy Class (H, K, M, L, W, V) will allow for completion of the Platinum Challenge. However, since the challenge lasts 3 months, is status awarded only at the end of the Challenge, or will it be immediately awarded upon completion of the required points?

At ~5,000 miles round trip, I can achieve Platinum status (at 50,000 miles) in 10 round trips, or 2.5 months, which is shorter than the Challenge time frame.

2. If I sign up for the Platinum challenge, will I be able to potentially sign up for the invite-only Executive Platinum challenge?
1. Immediately awarded upon corssing the 10.000 EQP threshold.

2. No. Not unless you have a comparable status with a different program (and even then, it's not a sure thing, and you would have done the EXP challenge immediately, and not do the PLT challenge first.)
Old Aug 12, 2014, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Djokison
1. Immediately awarded upon corssing the 10.000 EQP threshold.

2. No. Not unless you have a comparable status with a different program (and even then, it's not a sure thing, and you would have done the EXP challenge immediately, and not do the PLT challenge first.)
Thank you! Will call them now and sign up for the PLT challenge.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 5:27 am
Formerly richh1833

thinking about flying this weekend. I just need to confirm a couple things. If this is my int, I should start the challenge before Friday right?

Int:

15/8 SYD-SIN QF5
15/8 SIN-SYD QF6

7818EQM x 1.5(T) = 11727EQP (I qualify for plat)

Does anyone know QF has all day check in? and would I get both my boarding passes at SYD instead of leaving immigration at SIN?
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:10 am

Programs: AA Plat, QF Silver
Originally Posted by savitar
Hi All,

Looking for some help here.....My partner went with the Platinum challenge and made platinum on her flight to the UK on March 8th. Logging into her account on March 15th it was updated to Platinum....Great!!!

Now the problem is that BA and Qantas still don't recognise her as Platinum. She is flying EDI->LHR->SIN->MEL without a stop over in economy. She rang up BA who said to call AA...She called AA who said "Yes you are Platinum, we can see that for sure". So she calls back BA and finally gets onto someone who cares....She say that she is still ruby according to them but she will call OneWorld and confirm. The CS person calls OW and they confirm she is Sapphire. Now OW say that if can take more than a month for the systems to sync up to get status.....I have never heard of this length of time before...

The questions I have are :

- How long does it take to get BA and Qantas to recognise her OW status update?
- She is in the UK on a work trip and her official AA platinum card has not arrived in the mail yet so she can not just show the card at the lounges to get in (and computer says no). Will lounges accept the AA app on the Iphone, which has a virtual card showing status, as proof of status?
- Is there another way she can prove to the lounge what her status is? Printed account information from the AA.com web site for example? Something else?
- Is there any way of speeding up the process so that BA and Qantas recognise that she is OW sapphire?

Thanks for any advice....
Hello all,

My partner STILL does not have her status updated on BA / QF. Even with new bookings it shows up at AA Gold (One world Ruby). We have tried everything we can think of to get the status updated but AA keep telling us its BA / QF's problem and BA / QF that its AA's problem...

Is there anyway we can "force" the status update to go through????
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by savitar
Hello all,

My partner STILL does not have her status updated on BA / QF. Even with new bookings it shows up at AA Gold (One world Ruby). We have tried everything we can think of to get the status updated but AA keep telling us its BA / QF's problem and BA / QF that its AA's problem...

Is there anyway we can "force" the status update to go through????
When I've had a status change, I've been able to have a BA agent update it at the airport. Not really any luck online though. Also, per your other questions, the mobile card should work in the T3 AC; I'm not sure the BA or CX lounges would accept it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.