Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Elite Status Challenge (CLOSED: "hard end" 23 Dec 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
HELP DESK: AAdvantage Elite Status Challenge (Gold and Platinum)
Challenges may no longer be enrolled in as of 6 Oct; hard end date 23 Dec 2015 -
but some reporting success 6 Oct backdating to 23 Sep by supervisors

This is the archived thread about the now defunct AAdvantage elite Gold and Platinum status challenge. The current thread can be read here.

NOTE: Challenges were closed off September 23 2015, at least for the remainder of 2015 - some have succeeded in enrolling and backdating to 23 Sep.

It is possible a new, remodeled challenge will be announced in or for 2016. That discussion is here: Original Gold / Platinum Challenge Ended 23 Sep '15. New program to come?

This thread is now dedicated to requests for assistance and responses to clarify challenge requirements for those members currently engaged in challenges and related issues. To discuss the potential and form of any future challenge, please use the link provided above.

NOTE: The rules for the Challenge at the time of closure are preserved below. The date by which the last person would have completed this challenge would be 23 December 2015.
Gold and Platinum challenges (there is usually no EXP challenge) can be flown to gain a "short cut" to status. To earn status you must register (and pay a fee $100-$140 for Gold, $200-240 for Platinum*) and fly to earn 5,000 or 10,000 elite-qualifying base Points (not miles) in a three month period, using American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights* and miles must be credited to AAdvantage.

Note: The four AA segment minimum required for regular status qualification does not apply to completing the challenge.

Class of service, status or other bonus miles are redeemable miles and thus do not count for the challenge. Class of service is the reigning factor in calculating the points earned per mile flown: the base points per mile charts for the various fare buckets on qualifying airlines are here.

Note: The "Reach elite status faster" promotion awarding 2 or even 3 EQ Points per mile for flying premium fares through 2015 does not apply to the challenge; challenge flyers will only have a maximum of 1.5 base EQP per base EQ Mile considered for challenge-earned status. The extra points are considered bonus points and are only applicable for earning "normal", non-challenge status.

Though one earned status bonus miles on the qualifying flight at one time, that is no longer possible. Status bonus miles will accrue on the next eligible flight after your status qualifying flight.

Also see (FT) Help Understanding Status, Points / Miles & Segments: EQM vs EQP (merged thread) for further assistance with the miles-EQMiles-points issue.

For miles calculations, many use the Great Circle Mapper tool

*for Platinum, Jan-Jun $200, Jul - Dec $240 - presumably for the max nine months of status vs. the max of 20 months $240 of status. Occasionally, there are "sales" reductions; they seem to be about 10%.

Challenges begun before June 16 of a given year earn status for the remainder of that year and the first two months of the following year (8-14 months total); challenges begun on or after June 16 grant status for the remainder of that year, the following year, and the first two months of the year after (14-20 months total). Challenges can begin anytime (not previously the case) and can even be backdated up to two weeks as far as we know (as of Nov 2013).

To sign up for a challenge, call AAdvantage Customer Service at +1-800-882-8880.

Link to cyclingpilot post about being granted a back-dated challenge (2 weeks)

You cannot use a challenge to requalify for status. There is no longer a "soft landing" to the next lower level of status. The flight on which the challenge is completed no longer earns the redeemable miles bonus for the new status level.

Some have been granted Gold status whilst flying a Platinum challenge, particularly those with current elite status (any level) on an airline of a competing alliance, but this is not a given.

Based on multiple reports from FT members, as of mid-2015 AA is only allowing one status challenge over a five year period.

August 2014 e-mail received by a Challenger, shared by ashill:

Thank you for registering for an AAdvantage® challenge.

To enjoy AAdvantage PLATINUM status through February 2016, please earn 10,000 elite qualifying points between now and [redacted]. Qualifying flights on American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights count toward your challenge.

Since the number of elite qualifying points you earn is based on the fare you purchase and the miles you earn, you can view these details for each airline:We wish you every success in attaining the elite status level you desire.

Sincerely,

Janet L F[redacted]
Director
AAdvantage Customer Service
Older posts have been archived (in many cases they contain obsolete information): Archive: Help Desk: AAdvantage Gold, Platinum Elite Status Challenge
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Elite Status Challenge (CLOSED: "hard end" 23 Dec 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by lawyertalk
If on AA numbers, they will count (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22762189-post295.html). Even if the QF flight is on a QF number, you should get 1.5 EQP (http://www.americanairlines.com/i18n...nes/qantas.jsp). CX on CX# will not count.
Ahhhh man!! My QF is on QF #, so that shouldn't be a problem. But my CX is on CX# (and I thought it would count and went to book a SIN-HKG-MEL in PE) at a premium price :/ could've gotten BA in PE from SIN-SYD-MEL at a cheaper price

Any remedy on how I should schedule to fix my flights to meet the challenge? QF flight is confirmed. My purpose of getting PLT is to have lounge access.

Nevertheless, if I were to do a GLD challenge, will my MEL-SYD-SIN on QF meet the requirement? (if it's x1.5EQP, I should meet the 5k mark)
Old Jun 16, 2014, 4:01 am

Hi All,

I have read through a good bit of the conversation, but I want confirm prior to paying to do a status challenge.

Currently, I am a Gold Medallion on Delta. In about a week, I have a round trip to New Delhi, India from Heathrow in Club World/return World Traveler Plus. I believe this should put me over the 10,000 EQP needed to make Platinum on AA (with the 1.5 bonus for premium seats).

I booked the tickets on BA.com, so they are BA tickets. I do not have an AA AAdvantage account and have never status challenged previously. Accordingly, my questions are the following:

1) Do I even need to challenge or will AA just match my Delta status?
2) Will AA at least courtesy match my Gold Status (ie, AA Platinum) while I am trying to complete the challenge?
3) Given the facts presented, should I be able to make Platinum (I'm a UK resident) given the flight listed above?
4) Since I will be applying after 16 June, will I have Platinum status all the way until Feb 2016?

Thanks all for your help!

Regards,

Team
Old Jun 16, 2014, 4:37 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by TeamInTheSky
Hi All,

I have read through a good bit of the conversation, but I want confirm prior to paying to do a status challenge.

Currently, I am a Gold Medallion on Delta. In about a week, I have a round trip to New Delhi, India from Heathrow in Club World/return World Traveler Plus. I believe this should put me over the 10,000 EQP needed to make Platinum on AA (with the 1.5 bonus for premium seats).

I booked the tickets on BA.com, so they are BA tickets. I do not have an AA AAdvantage account and have never status challenged previously. Accordingly, my questions are the following:

1) Do I even need to challenge or will AA just match my Delta status?
2) Will AA at least courtesy match my Gold Status (ie, AA Platinum) while I am trying to complete the challenge?
3) Given the facts presented, should I be able to make Platinum (I'm a UK resident) given the flight listed above?
4) Since I will be applying after 16 June, will I have Platinum status all the way until Feb 2016?

Thanks all for your help!

Regards,

Team
AA will not match your Delta status (unless things have changed recently)
You need to become a member of AA; you can do this online
You need to phone and enrol in the challenge, and pay

Probably not, but they might give you AA Gold as a courtesy

Yes. You will complete the platinum challenge
Country of residence does not matter (I've done it, based in Oz; Mrs pandaperth has done it twice!)

Yes
If you enrol to start the challenge on June 16 or later, your status will last until the end of Feb 2016
Old Jun 17, 2014, 2:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Executive Platinum
Pay for Plat Challenge, but only make 5,000 EQP

I have some AA flights coming up--at least 5,000 EQP worth--and I was considering signing up for either the Plat or Gold Challenge.

I know Gold is a safe bet, but several years ago when I signed up for the Plat Challenge, I was given Gold during the challenge period. (I eventually completed the Plat Challenge.)

This time, I'm not sure I will make the 10,000 EQP target, but I'd be willing to pay the extra for the Plat Challenge if I knew I could get at least Gold when I hit the 5,000 EQP mark (or I could downgrade the challenge to Gold before the end of the challenge period.)

Anyone have any recent experience with this situation?
Old Jun 18, 2014, 5:17 am

Help on Platinum Challenge and June 16th cutoff date

Hello,

I am wondering if someone can help me out.

I just completed a trip to Europe (Roundtrip - DFW-LHR-WAW) on June 5 - June 15. I have already worked the points calculation and with 2 flights that I have coming up in July, I will meet the 10,000 Elite Qualifying Points requirement to complete a Platinum Challenge. I did not enroll in the challenge before my flight because it is not worth it to me if, based on the time I signed up for the challenge, I would only have Platinum status until Feb 2015.

The day after I got back (June 16), I called and they would allow me to backdate my miles for the most recent trip (which I thought they would), but since my trip was completed before June 16th, Platinum status would only be given until Feb 2015 (not Feb 2016). Basically, they were backdating the start of the challenge to June 5th.

This is not consistent with everything I have read through here so I thought I would ask for help. Does this sound consistent with how American runs the challenge program or did I perhaps get a CSR who didn't quite know? Did I call too quick (June 16) and should I give it another try today?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I only do a few big trips each year and paying the fee for platinum status is really only worth it to me if I can get it until Feb 2016.

Thanks.... and fabulous site!
Old Jun 18, 2014, 2:03 pm

As I understand it, the length of status depends on the date you START the challenge. If you START prior to June 16, status is only good until the end of February next year. If you start on June 16 or later, you get status until the end of February of the following year. (In both cases, the dates assume you successfully complete the challenge.)

It sounds like you need to backdate your START date to June 5 in order to get credit for your recent flight. That means the status (assuming you complete the challenge) will only be good until February 2015.

It's not so much when you CALL (although I think they only backdate a few weeks), its the START date of the challenge that determines the length of status.

Last edited by hockeydiva; Jun 18, 2014 at 2:46 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 18, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL GM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by hockeydiva
As I understand it, the length of status depends on the date you START the challenge. If you START prior to June 16, status is only good until the end of February next year. If you start on June 16 or later, you get status until the end of February of the following year. (In both cases, the dates assume you successfully complete the challenge.

It sounds like you need to backdate your START date to June 1 in order to get credit for your recent flight. That means the status (assuming you complete the challenge) will only be good until February 2015.

It's not so much when you CALL (although I think they only backdate a few weeks), its the START date of the challenge that determines the length of status.
^
Old Jun 18, 2014, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by garyindllas
..This is not consistent with everything I have read through here..
its completely consistent; by back-dating the challenge, the start date became too early to qualify for the extra year of status that would come by starting after June 15.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 9:05 am
Suspended

How Long Does the Status Match/Challenge Take To Go Into Effect?

Suppose I call up today and pay the $240 for the platinum challenge.

What documentation do they require to prove your status in the old airline?

When does it go into effect? Is it straight away or does it take a few hours/days to verify the status on the previous airline?

Now suppose I want to go for a straight out match? What documentation do they require?
Old Jun 19, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by inpd
Suppose I call up today and pay the $240 for the platinum challenge.

What documentation do they require to prove your status in the old airline?

When does it go into effect? Is it straight away or does it take a few hours/days to verify the status on the previous airline?

Now suppose I want to go for a straight out match? What documentation do they require?
Your chances of getting a straight up match are very minimal. Most likely a scan of your current FF Elite card will do.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:07 am

You don't need to have any status on another airline to do the challenge.

My understanding is that AA generally does not match status. They have the challenge instead of a matching program, although there have been some reports here of some targeted status matching for high level elites from other airlines.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 11:09 am

If they do offer a match, they may want a copy of a recent statement in addition to the scan of the card. The statement would show your mileage earning history.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
I've done literally dozens of challenges (for myself and assisted on for friends & family of mine). It's my understanding, based on personal experience, that the flight segment that crosses the challenge threshold (whether 5K EQP for GLD or 10K EQP for PLT) would a bonus equivalent to that if you had flown it with the status you were able to earn.

E.g., If you were a GLD and completed a PLT challenge on LAX-SFO, you would earn 500 base miles + 125 GLD bonus + (later on, separate line item) 375 bonus miles for completing the PLT challenge (so 500 total bonus, or equivalent to the 100% PLT bonus).

Also, that segment would also add to the 500-miler counter, so a nobody completing the PLT challenge on LAX-SFO would have 500 miles added to that counter.

Does this not happen anymore? For my situation, I completely a PLT challenge and didn't get the extra mileage. And it wasn't LAX-SFO... it was HKG-LAX, 7200+ miles worth, quite a chunk.

Any thoughts or recent experience? Or the most recent experience for anyone where that DID occur?
Old Jun 23, 2014, 5:24 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by LAXative
Does this not happen anymore? For my situation, I completely a PLT challenge and didn't get the extra mileage. And it wasn't LAX-SFO... it was HKG-LAX, 7200+ miles worth, quite a chunk.

Any thoughts or recent experience? Or the most recent experience for anyone where that DID occur?
IIRC the change came late last year (search in this thread for the relevant posts)
Old Jun 23, 2014, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL GM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
The wiki: "[T]he 100% bonus miles is no longer earned on the flight one qualifies on."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.