Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Elite Status Challenge (CLOSED: "hard end" 23 Dec 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
HELP DESK: AAdvantage Elite Status Challenge (Gold and Platinum)
Challenges may no longer be enrolled in as of 6 Oct; hard end date 23 Dec 2015 -
but some reporting success 6 Oct backdating to 23 Sep by supervisors

This is the archived thread about the now defunct AAdvantage elite Gold and Platinum status challenge. The current thread can be read here.

NOTE: Challenges were closed off September 23 2015, at least for the remainder of 2015 - some have succeeded in enrolling and backdating to 23 Sep.

It is possible a new, remodeled challenge will be announced in or for 2016. That discussion is here: Original Gold / Platinum Challenge Ended 23 Sep '15. New program to come?

This thread is now dedicated to requests for assistance and responses to clarify challenge requirements for those members currently engaged in challenges and related issues. To discuss the potential and form of any future challenge, please use the link provided above.

NOTE: The rules for the Challenge at the time of closure are preserved below. The date by which the last person would have completed this challenge would be 23 December 2015.
Gold and Platinum challenges (there is usually no EXP challenge) can be flown to gain a "short cut" to status. To earn status you must register (and pay a fee $100-$140 for Gold, $200-240 for Platinum*) and fly to earn 5,000 or 10,000 elite-qualifying base Points (not miles) in a three month period, using American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights* and miles must be credited to AAdvantage.

Note: The four AA segment minimum required for regular status qualification does not apply to completing the challenge.

Class of service, status or other bonus miles are redeemable miles and thus do not count for the challenge. Class of service is the reigning factor in calculating the points earned per mile flown: the base points per mile charts for the various fare buckets on qualifying airlines are here.

Note: The "Reach elite status faster" promotion awarding 2 or even 3 EQ Points per mile for flying premium fares through 2015 does not apply to the challenge; challenge flyers will only have a maximum of 1.5 base EQP per base EQ Mile considered for challenge-earned status. The extra points are considered bonus points and are only applicable for earning "normal", non-challenge status.

Though one earned status bonus miles on the qualifying flight at one time, that is no longer possible. Status bonus miles will accrue on the next eligible flight after your status qualifying flight.

Also see (FT) Help Understanding Status, Points / Miles & Segments: EQM vs EQP (merged thread) for further assistance with the miles-EQMiles-points issue.

For miles calculations, many use the Great Circle Mapper tool

*for Platinum, Jan-Jun $200, Jul - Dec $240 - presumably for the max nine months of status vs. the max of 20 months $240 of status. Occasionally, there are "sales" reductions; they seem to be about 10%.

Challenges begun before June 16 of a given year earn status for the remainder of that year and the first two months of the following year (8-14 months total); challenges begun on or after June 16 grant status for the remainder of that year, the following year, and the first two months of the year after (14-20 months total). Challenges can begin anytime (not previously the case) and can even be backdated up to two weeks as far as we know (as of Nov 2013).

To sign up for a challenge, call AAdvantage Customer Service at +1-800-882-8880.

Link to cyclingpilot post about being granted a back-dated challenge (2 weeks)

You cannot use a challenge to requalify for status. There is no longer a "soft landing" to the next lower level of status. The flight on which the challenge is completed no longer earns the redeemable miles bonus for the new status level.

Some have been granted Gold status whilst flying a Platinum challenge, particularly those with current elite status (any level) on an airline of a competing alliance, but this is not a given.

Based on multiple reports from FT members, as of mid-2015 AA is only allowing one status challenge over a five year period.

August 2014 e-mail received by a Challenger, shared by ashill:

Thank you for registering for an AAdvantage® challenge.

To enjoy AAdvantage PLATINUM status through February 2016, please earn 10,000 elite qualifying points between now and [redacted]. Qualifying flights on American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights count toward your challenge.

Since the number of elite qualifying points you earn is based on the fare you purchase and the miles you earn, you can view these details for each airline:We wish you every success in attaining the elite status level you desire.

Sincerely,

Janet L F[redacted]
Director
AAdvantage Customer Service
Older posts have been archived (in many cases they contain obsolete information): Archive: Help Desk: AAdvantage Gold, Platinum Elite Status Challenge
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Elite Status Challenge (CLOSED: "hard end" 23 Dec 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2014, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by andrewconrad
I just started an ExecPlat challenge for AA, moving from UA 1k. Living in Philly, much of the travel will be on US. Is there a handy chart showing US fare classes and respective AA point levels? (100% vs. 50%)

Thanks!

(hoping this is the right thread - please re-direct as needed!)
Welcome, honored refugee.

Enjoy.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...us-airways.jsp
Old Aug 4, 2014, 3:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by imapilotaz
Woot, I appreciate the help Jon. I assumed that was the case, but I didnt want to get into a "discussion" with an agent if it came up.

ETA: Called and registered him. Agent could care less about the age, as long as there was a credit card that could pay the fee. I did ask about instant "Gold" status and no dice even though he has all the travel already booked (and will be flown in less than 30 days). She did say, however, that I can call back in AFTER he passes 5000 EQPs in the challenge, and they will make him Gold at that point. It's good to know.
I wanted to update this. He crossed the 5,000 EQP threshold yesterday (and is at 8800)... the Agent said that this IS NOT a policy of AA, but said that she would make an exception for me since I was told this when I registered him. She did state that it would be ONLY for the challenge period, which is fine, as he'll be PLT on his next flight in 10 days.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Read it a little better the second time!

Last edited by JonNYC; Aug 4, 2014 at 4:22 pm Reason: now I see it (gold at 5K)
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA Silver
I'm looking to defect from UA (currently Silver) to AA and found out about the PLT challenge so this thread has been very useful.

The only flights I currently have booked is a R/T from EWR-CDG booked through BA but operated by their subsidiary Open Skies (BA flight #). Does anyone know if this counts as an "eligible" code share? I asked an AA CS rep but she wasn't sure and I didn't have time to stay on the line for a supervisor.

I'm flying T class which if I understand correctly is 1.5 EQP so just that R/T will qualify me although I am hoping to hit PLT on the outbound as I will likely do a couple of JFK-LAX or SFO flights between now & then, probably at .5EQP.

Thanks!
Old Aug 5, 2014, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by rachelnyc123
The only flights I currently have booked is a R/T from EWR-CDG booked through BA but operated by their subsidiary Open Skies (BA flight #). Does anyone know if this counts as an "eligible" code share?
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

OpenSkies is a oneworld affiliate, so BA flights operated by OpenSkies earn EQPs and EQMs like any other BA flight. I don't know for sure if this counts as BA for the purposes of a challenge, but I can't imagine it doesn't -- I assume that "eligible codeshare flight" means the same thing for challenge purposes as it does for general AAdvantage earning.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: UA Silver
Thanks very much ashill! That was my understanding as well but the term "eligible" makes me nervous that there is a loophole I am missing.

I will confirm with the CS rep when I set up the challenge just to be sure.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: AA ExPlt, AAdmirals Club, Hilton Diamond
Clarification on Pricing

I signed up for the PL Challenge yesterday. The rep told me that the fee was $240. I asked him about reports being $200. He told me that Jan-Jun the fee is $200 but $240 from Jul-Dec because you get the extra year of PL.

He WAS able to upgrade me to GOLD while doing the challenge. I have 2 cross-county trips book plus one r/t MCO to MNL (Manila). One leg is on new JAL 787, which I am looking forward to. SO no worries about meeting.

Have been A+ on SWA for five years but switching to AA. I hope the grass is greener.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I registered for the challenge today - and was given instant Gold
Do you receive an email confirmation with the requirements and dates selected?
I got the receipt for $240 but no other email...
Old Aug 6, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Acid
If I remember correctly, the receipt for money was almost immediate, but the challenge receipt, stating the rules was run off a batch that night. If you dont get it by tomorrow morning, phone them back up.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott LT Platinum/Ambassador
Originally Posted by Acid
I did the challenge in May. I received the receipt at noon the day I registered (soon after hanging up), and the confirmation email at 3am the following day.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:31 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by RadSam
I did the challenge in May. I received the receipt at noon the day I registered (soon after hanging up), and the confirmation email at 3am the following day.
I'll second that. This is exactly how it worked for me.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 5:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thanks - I got the email. surprised it says earn 10K EQP between now and 11/30/14. I opted to start Aug 30. But the email says between now and....

Not that it does anything for me as I am not travelling until the end of the month....
Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:48 am

When I went to my aadvantage profile, my status showed up right away on the upper right corner. It was there before I was even off the phone.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: AA Gold, OW Ruby, IHG PLT, JB Mosiac, Delta Silver, VA Silver, AK MVP, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver
I don't know how others got lucky with getting Gold status right away. Even with flights out there that would more than cover the EQP's necessary; the rep I spoke with was adamant that I could not have the status and that they would NOT give me any status until I crossed the 10k EQP's and that status would be PLT. (IE no gold up front and no gold once I cross 5k EQP's)

She also would not let me set everything up today. Said I had to wait until Sept 1. She also said if I wait until Sept 1 the price goes back down to $200. She said my choices were two weeks before or after today, and that I was calling too early for anything not flying within the next 1-2 weeks.

Was this wayyyy off base compared to what others were told or experienced?? Something doesn't sound right to me.

Last edited by sperkins921; Aug 7, 2014 at 9:30 am Reason: adding more info
Old Aug 7, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Kimpton IC; IHG Diamond Ambassador;
Originally Posted by andrewconrad
I just started an ExecPlat challenge for AA, moving from UA 1k. Living in Philly, much of the travel will be on US. Is there a handy chart showing US fare classes and respective AA point levels? (100% vs. 50%)

Thanks!

(hoping this is the right thread - please re-direct as needed!)
Did you receive instant ExecPlat status for the duration of the challenge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.