Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Elite Status Challenge (CLOSED: "hard end" 23 Dec 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
HELP DESK: AAdvantage Elite Status Challenge (Gold and Platinum)
Challenges may no longer be enrolled in as of 6 Oct; hard end date 23 Dec 2015 -
but some reporting success 6 Oct backdating to 23 Sep by supervisors

This is the archived thread about the now defunct AAdvantage elite Gold and Platinum status challenge. The current thread can be read here.

NOTE: Challenges were closed off September 23 2015, at least for the remainder of 2015 - some have succeeded in enrolling and backdating to 23 Sep.

It is possible a new, remodeled challenge will be announced in or for 2016. That discussion is here: Original Gold / Platinum Challenge Ended 23 Sep '15. New program to come?

This thread is now dedicated to requests for assistance and responses to clarify challenge requirements for those members currently engaged in challenges and related issues. To discuss the potential and form of any future challenge, please use the link provided above.

NOTE: The rules for the Challenge at the time of closure are preserved below. The date by which the last person would have completed this challenge would be 23 December 2015.
Gold and Platinum challenges (there is usually no EXP challenge) can be flown to gain a "short cut" to status. To earn status you must register (and pay a fee $100-$140 for Gold, $200-240 for Platinum*) and fly to earn 5,000 or 10,000 elite-qualifying base Points (not miles) in a three month period, using American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights* and miles must be credited to AAdvantage.

Note: The four AA segment minimum required for regular status qualification does not apply to completing the challenge.

Class of service, status or other bonus miles are redeemable miles and thus do not count for the challenge. Class of service is the reigning factor in calculating the points earned per mile flown: the base points per mile charts for the various fare buckets on qualifying airlines are here.

Note: The "Reach elite status faster" promotion awarding 2 or even 3 EQ Points per mile for flying premium fares through 2015 does not apply to the challenge; challenge flyers will only have a maximum of 1.5 base EQP per base EQ Mile considered for challenge-earned status. The extra points are considered bonus points and are only applicable for earning "normal", non-challenge status.

Though one earned status bonus miles on the qualifying flight at one time, that is no longer possible. Status bonus miles will accrue on the next eligible flight after your status qualifying flight.

Also see (FT) Help Understanding Status, Points / Miles & Segments: EQM vs EQP (merged thread) for further assistance with the miles-EQMiles-points issue.

For miles calculations, many use the Great Circle Mapper tool

*for Platinum, Jan-Jun $200, Jul - Dec $240 - presumably for the max nine months of status vs. the max of 20 months $240 of status. Occasionally, there are "sales" reductions; they seem to be about 10%.

Challenges begun before June 16 of a given year earn status for the remainder of that year and the first two months of the following year (8-14 months total); challenges begun on or after June 16 grant status for the remainder of that year, the following year, and the first two months of the year after (14-20 months total). Challenges can begin anytime (not previously the case) and can even be backdated up to two weeks as far as we know (as of Nov 2013).

To sign up for a challenge, call AAdvantage Customer Service at +1-800-882-8880.

Link to cyclingpilot post about being granted a back-dated challenge (2 weeks)

You cannot use a challenge to requalify for status. There is no longer a "soft landing" to the next lower level of status. The flight on which the challenge is completed no longer earns the redeemable miles bonus for the new status level.

Some have been granted Gold status whilst flying a Platinum challenge, particularly those with current elite status (any level) on an airline of a competing alliance, but this is not a given.

Based on multiple reports from FT members, as of mid-2015 AA is only allowing one status challenge over a five year period.

August 2014 e-mail received by a Challenger, shared by ashill:

Thank you for registering for an AAdvantage® challenge.

To enjoy AAdvantage PLATINUM status through February 2016, please earn 10,000 elite qualifying points between now and [redacted]. Qualifying flights on American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights count toward your challenge.

Since the number of elite qualifying points you earn is based on the fare you purchase and the miles you earn, you can view these details for each airline:We wish you every success in attaining the elite status level you desire.

Sincerely,

Janet L F[redacted]
Director
AAdvantage Customer Service
Older posts have been archived (in many cases they contain obsolete information): Archive: Help Desk: AAdvantage Gold, Platinum Elite Status Challenge
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Elite Status Challenge (CLOSED: "hard end" 23 Dec 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by imapilotaz

She did say, however, that I can call back in AFTER he passes 5000 EQPs in the challenge, and they will make him Gold at that point. It's good to know.
This is interesting... I was already GLD when I did my challenge, but this will help others in the future.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 4:48 am

Programs: AA Gold, OW Ruby, IHG PLT, JB Mosiac, Delta Silver, VA Silver, AK MVP, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by cbert
hi

Before I sign up for the Plat 10k challenge I wanted to make double sure passing it...as I am pretty sure will but not 100% on all the rules.

Here is AA ticket my folks are taking and should pass by time reach CLT as they get 100% points:
AA (operated by MAL) AA 7435 - KUL -LHR - V class
AA (operated by BA) AA 6534 - LHR -FCO - V class
AA (operated by US) US 761 - LIS - CLT - V class
AA (operated by BA) AA 6133 - JFK - LHR - V class
AA (operated by MAL) AA 7436 - LHR - KUL - V class

Here is BA ticket I am taking but wont pass the Plat but only the Gold cause only get 50% points as traveling in S and O class:

AUH - LHR Economy - British Airways 72 -3,403 mi
LHR - FCO - British Airways 548 Economy - 894 mi
LIS - CLT - British Airways 2361 Economy - 3,866 mi
JFK - LHR British Airways 112 - Economy - 3,463 mi
LHR - AUH British Airways 73 - Economy - 3,403 mi

Finally, main reason want Plat over Gold is cause of lounge access and extra check in bag (although I sure this comes on Gold as well)

Thanks
cbert,

You mention miles in your post of your flight info, but then above also mention points. I just want to make sure you understand that the AA challenges are based on points. I made that same mistake earlier, if you look back a page or two, you will see my post with people helping me figure my points out. I'm on my phone, otherwise I'd link you to it. Also, be sure for your parents of the rate that Malaysia air credits, you said 100% but again on my phone so I can't really double check. Do they already have status that guarantees 100%?
Old Jul 15, 2014, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by sperkins921
Also, be sure for your parents of the rate that Malaysia air credits, you said 100% but again on my phone so I can't really double check.
Parents operate under the AA earning chart, since it's under the AA flight number, and V earns 1ppm.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:14 am

Programs: AA Gold, OW Ruby, IHG PLT, JB Mosiac, Delta Silver, VA Silver, AK MVP, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by LAXative
Parents operate under the AA earning chart, since it's under the AA flight number, and V earns 1ppm.
Wasn't sure of that- like I said I was using my phone so I had no quick and easy way of checking about that.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:59 am

Wasn't sure of that- like I said I was using my phone so I had no quick and easy way of checking about that.
great thanks for that will look at that past post now.

I am pretty sure I am on the right track understanding how it all works.
We need to count miles not points and the points not always 1:1 but, like my BA ticket, is 50%

I calculate for my BA ticket I only get a total of around 7000 points, so maybe try the Plat challenge next time but for folks will sign them up as they will def pass.....I am pretty sure.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:09 pm

side question for paying for the challenge,
can I call AA on behalf of my folks and sign them and pay with my credit card?

or do they have to call AA and pay with their own CC?

although I don't think they can use their CC as its maxed, so will have to use mine, if thats allowed?

Trying to call AA now but on hold for 20mins, problem is I am calling from Africa via Skype and internet keeps dropping out on me!

Want to sign up for a start 16 July as first flight is 27 July. Might have to call them after 16 July if Skype keeps dropping out and back date start date to 16 July, thank fully this is allowed.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite

although I don't think they can use their CC as its maxed, so will have to use mine, if thats allowed?

Trying to call AA now but on hold for 20mins, problem is I am calling from Africa via Skype and internet keeps dropping out on me!

Want to sign up for a start 16 July as first flight is 27 July. Might have to call them after 16 July if Skype keeps dropping out and back date start date to 16 July, thank fully this is allowed.
If first flight is July 27, just make it start July 26. And yes, you can pay for the challenge with your card and not theirs (I had to obviously do that for my minor child). The email account with the AAdvantage number will receive an email receipt, even if the CC is not in their name. The next day they will receive the email confirming registration in the challenge.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:20 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K

I don't think you'll have a problem. You just need their AAdvantage numbers. I've made charges on my credit card under my parent's names just fine too.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:36 pm

ok got it all sorted , they were happy to take my money
Old Jul 19, 2014, 4:16 pm

I have a question about starting your challenge. I have two flights to Europe (at 0.5 EQPs) and two JFK-LAX flights (Biz/1.5EQPs) scheduled for September-December. Since those are guaranteed flights and will get me PLT, how early can I call to sign up for the challenge? As in calling to request and choosing a start date. I obviously wouldn't want to start until a day or so before my first flight of the series. The AAdvantage desk is closed today, so no luck calling. Anyone have any experience scheduling their challenge in advance?
Old Jul 19, 2014, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by haveisaidtoomuch
I have a question about starting your challenge. I have two flights to Europe (at 0.5 EQPs) and two JFK-LAX flights (Biz/1.5EQPs) scheduled for September-December. Since those are guaranteed flights and will get me PLT, how early can I call to sign up for the challenge? As in calling to request and choosing a start date. I obviously wouldn't want to start until a day or so before my first flight of the series. The AAdvantage desk is closed today, so no luck calling. Anyone have any experience scheduling their challenge in advance?
Set my mom up for a challenge on Thurs, they specifically stated I could request to start it on any day (no longer restricted to the 1st or 16th as it once was). A few hours later, I rec'd an email that confirmed her enrollment in a PLT challenge and the requested start date.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by haveisaidtoomuch

it was recommended to me, and others here in the thread, to wait until a couple of weeks before your first qualifying flight that you want to include. And then call and start everything up. now that you do not have to pick the first or the 16th you can literally set it up to start the day of that first flight. For instance, my first qualifying flight is going to be in September on the 19th.

As my itinerary round trip Boston to Heathrow is 300 points short, I'm going to do a short run between Boston in Charlotte round trip. Likely, I will do that maybe over the Labor Day weekend. Thus, I will likely make my call sometime around the middle of August to start for that first run between Boston and Charlotte and it will give me 90 days to complete.

However, I know that on my return trip from Heathrow back to Boston at the end of September I will have enough miles to complete the challenge so end date really does not matter as much as the start date.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 1:17 pm

it was recommended to me, and others here in the thread, to wait until a couple of weeks before your first qualifying flight that you want to include. And then call and start everything up. now that you do not have to pick the first or the 16th you can literally set it up to start the day of that first flight. For instance, my first qualifying flight is going to be in September on the 19th.

As my itinerary round trip Boston to Heathrow is 300 points short, I'm going to do a short run between Boston in Charlotte round trip. Likely, I will do that maybe over the Labor Day weekend. Thus, I will likely make my call sometime around the middle of August to start for that first run between Boston and Charlotte and it will give me 90 days to complete.

However, I know that on my return trip from Heathrow back to Boston at the end of September I will have enough miles to complete the challenge so end date really does not matter as much as the start date.
Thanks so much! And it looks like we'll be challenging at the same time. I'm hoping to start mine September 20!
Old Aug 2, 2014, 5:39 pm

I just started an ExecPlat challenge for AA, moving from UA 1k. Living in Philly, much of the travel will be on US. Is there a handy chart showing US fare classes and respective AA point levels? (100% vs. 50%)

Thanks!

(hoping this is the right thread - please re-direct as needed!)
Old Aug 2, 2014, 7:29 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by andrewconrad
I just started an ExecPlat challenge for AA, moving from UA 1k. Living in Philly, much of the travel will be on US. Is there a handy chart showing US fare classes and respective AA point levels? (100% vs. 50%)

Thanks!

(hoping this is the right thread - please re-direct as needed!)
Yep. Here it is
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...us-airways.jsp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.