Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Elite Status Challenge (CLOSED: "hard end" 23 Dec 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2013, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
HELP DESK: AAdvantage Elite Status Challenge (Gold and Platinum)
Challenges may no longer be enrolled in as of 6 Oct; hard end date 23 Dec 2015 -
but some reporting success 6 Oct backdating to 23 Sep by supervisors

This is the archived thread about the now defunct AAdvantage elite Gold and Platinum status challenge. The current thread can be read here.

NOTE: Challenges were closed off September 23 2015, at least for the remainder of 2015 - some have succeeded in enrolling and backdating to 23 Sep.

It is possible a new, remodeled challenge will be announced in or for 2016. That discussion is here: Original Gold / Platinum Challenge Ended 23 Sep '15. New program to come?

This thread is now dedicated to requests for assistance and responses to clarify challenge requirements for those members currently engaged in challenges and related issues. To discuss the potential and form of any future challenge, please use the link provided above.

NOTE: The rules for the Challenge at the time of closure are preserved below. The date by which the last person would have completed this challenge would be 23 December 2015.
Gold and Platinum challenges (there is usually no EXP challenge) can be flown to gain a "short cut" to status. To earn status you must register (and pay a fee $100-$140 for Gold, $200-240 for Platinum*) and fly to earn 5,000 or 10,000 elite-qualifying base Points (not miles) in a three month period, using American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights* and miles must be credited to AAdvantage.

Note: The four AA segment minimum required for regular status qualification does not apply to completing the challenge.

Class of service, status or other bonus miles are redeemable miles and thus do not count for the challenge. Class of service is the reigning factor in calculating the points earned per mile flown: the base points per mile charts for the various fare buckets on qualifying airlines are here.

Note: The "Reach elite status faster" promotion awarding 2 or even 3 EQ Points per mile for flying premium fares through 2015 does not apply to the challenge; challenge flyers will only have a maximum of 1.5 base EQP per base EQ Mile considered for challenge-earned status. The extra points are considered bonus points and are only applicable for earning "normal", non-challenge status.

Though one earned status bonus miles on the qualifying flight at one time, that is no longer possible. Status bonus miles will accrue on the next eligible flight after your status qualifying flight.

Also see (FT) Help Understanding Status, Points / Miles & Segments: EQM vs EQP (merged thread) for further assistance with the miles-EQMiles-points issue.

For miles calculations, many use the Great Circle Mapper tool

*for Platinum, Jan-Jun $200, Jul - Dec $240 - presumably for the max nine months of status vs. the max of 20 months $240 of status. Occasionally, there are "sales" reductions; they seem to be about 10%.

Challenges begun before June 16 of a given year earn status for the remainder of that year and the first two months of the following year (8-14 months total); challenges begun on or after June 16 grant status for the remainder of that year, the following year, and the first two months of the year after (14-20 months total). Challenges can begin anytime (not previously the case) and can even be backdated up to two weeks as far as we know (as of Nov 2013).

To sign up for a challenge, call AAdvantage Customer Service at +1-800-882-8880.

Link to cyclingpilot post about being granted a back-dated challenge (2 weeks)

You cannot use a challenge to requalify for status. There is no longer a "soft landing" to the next lower level of status. The flight on which the challenge is completed no longer earns the redeemable miles bonus for the new status level.

Some have been granted Gold status whilst flying a Platinum challenge, particularly those with current elite status (any level) on an airline of a competing alliance, but this is not a given.

Based on multiple reports from FT members, as of mid-2015 AA is only allowing one status challenge over a five year period.

August 2014 e-mail received by a Challenger, shared by ashill:

Thank you for registering for an AAdvantage® challenge.

To enjoy AAdvantage PLATINUM status through February 2016, please earn 10,000 elite qualifying points between now and [redacted]. Qualifying flights on American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection®, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, Qantas, US Airways and their eligible codeshare flights count toward your challenge.

Since the number of elite qualifying points you earn is based on the fare you purchase and the miles you earn, you can view these details for each airline:We wish you every success in attaining the elite status level you desire.

Sincerely,

Janet L F[redacted]
Director
AAdvantage Customer Service
Older posts have been archived (in many cases they contain obsolete information): Archive: Help Desk: AAdvantage Gold, Platinum Elite Status Challenge
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: HELP DESK: AA Elite Status Challenge (CLOSED: "hard end" 23 Dec 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2015, 7:02 pm

Thank you for your prompt response Djokison. I was referring to deadline if I enter the challenge now, which will be june 15th. I thought the 3 months would start when you enter the challenge. I would love to have Platinum status until 2017. But unfortunately my gold status expires this february.. Thanks 😊
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Lia Guerra
Thank you for your prompt response Djokison. I was referring to deadline if I enter the challenge now, which will be june 15th. I thought the 3 months would start when you enter the challenge. I would love to have Platinum status until 2017. But unfortunately my gold status expires this february.. Thanks 😊
I think you might be misunderstanding a bit. If you start your challenge today (Jan. 15), you will only have until April 15th to earn 10,000 EQP. Then your status will be good until Feb. 29th, 2016.

For your round-trip June 9th to July 8th, you could set a challenge start date of, say, June 8th. Both flights will then be included for the challenge, but your status will still only be valid through Feb 2016.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:19 am

Thank you _Kurt. Got it now. ☺
Old Jan 19, 2015, 12:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPLT
I'm reading some posts about targeted emails for a free status challenge on AA. Anyone get/accept this offer?
Old Jan 19, 2015, 12:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Lia Guerra
Hi. I am currently gold status on AA, expiring this coming february. I have a trip that will give me more than 10k miles june 9th, coming back july 8th. Question is if I go for the platinum challenge, will my flight back count to the challenge, since it will be past the deadline? Thanks in advance.
First and foremost, miles flown are relatively meaningless in this context; you must earn 10,000 Elite Qualifying Points in three months' time. That could take as few as 6,667 base miles in a higher fare class and as many as 20,000 miles in a very discounted fare class.

You could ask to begin the Challenge June 16, if you're going to earn 10,000 points during that three month period (including July) and earn status through 29 Feb 2016. And some who have asked have been granted "instant Gold" as their Platinum Challenge was granted, though it's not at all a sure thing.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by T. Sanderson
I'm reading some posts about targeted emails for a free status challenge on AA. Anyone get/accept this offer?
Yes, but you have to read here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...d-plt-exp.html
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:58 pm
mck

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
Why not just call and set up the challenge on 6/1 or even 5/15 for that matter. You will have 90 days to reach the 10k EQP threshold.
Spoke to AAdvantage desk today and they would not start a platinum challenge for 3/1-5/31 until 3/1 or after. That seems to go against other posts in this thread, anyone with recent experience able to help chime in? I was planning to call again if anyone had success in forward dating the start date.

Thanks in advance,
always,
M
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mck
Spoke to AAdvantage desk today and they would not start a platinum challenge for 3/1-5/31 until 3/1 or after. That seems to go against other posts in this thread, anyone with recent experience able to help chime in? I was planning to call again if anyone had success in forward dating the start date.

Thanks in advance,
always,
M
I think that the rule when the start had to be the 1st or the 15th was that you could start it in between the start dates and either backdate it or forward date it. My wife started one in December a few days before the start date so I would assume that you could at least do that. Since the program does not officially exist I assume that they want to be able to withdraw it in short order.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA,BA
Originally Posted by mck

Thanks in advance,
always,
M
Interesting. As always, just hang up and call again. I called on 5 January and set up Challenge to start on 17 January. So far, 4 flights in and very close to Platinum.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:45 am

I completed my Platinum Challenge... how long before they send out the membership cards for AA Platinum and Oneworld Sapphire? I'm actually more interested in OW Sapphire card because AA status I can show the AA app but I have no proof OW status.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by onehitrenegade
I completed my Platinum Challenge... how long before they send out the membership cards for AA Platinum and Oneworld Sapphire? I'm actually more interested in OW Sapphire card because AA status I can show the AA app but I have no proof OW status.
They aren't separate cards. The AA Platinum card has a little blue dot to represent sapphire. The cards usually take about a month.

Rational lounge attendants will let you in based on your boarding pass. There are only a few notorious lounges where they want to see the card.

Originally Posted by mck
Spoke to AAdvantage desk today and they would not start a platinum challenge for 3/1-5/31 until 3/1 or after. That seems to go against other posts in this thread
I think it was just too far in advance. If 3/1 is your desired start date, try again around 2/1. If they still refuse, report back here because that means something about the challenge program might have changed.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:31 am

Can gift cards be used as payment for the challenge fee?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by onehitrenegade
Your boarding pass is usually proof enough, as _kurt said. And as he said, you won't get a separate oneworld card; oneworld airline status cards reflect the oneworld status with a ruby, sapphire or emerald colored circles.

But be sure your PNRs booked before you earned status have updated to reflect your Platinum status before you find yourself with a BP that reflects outdated status.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Your boarding pass is usually proof enough, as _kurt said. And as he said, you won't get a separate oneworld card; oneworld airline status cards reflect the oneworld status with a ruby, sapphire or emerald colored circles.

But be sure your PNRs booked before you earned status have updated to reflect your Platinum status before you find yourself with a BP that reflects outdated status.
Cool. Thanks.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA
I am not a frequent enough flier to be 100% certain I will achieve status (I never have before), but I think this year it is likely. However in March I have some paid F travel coming up that would easily clear a Gold challenge and put me well on my way to hitting Platinum with a couple more flights within the 90 days. Of course if I do a challenge starting in March, it will expire next February, rather than in 2017, and my bigger concern is that it will lock me out of challenges in the future.

I have no idea if next year will be another likely status-attainer for me, so I wouldn't like to lock myself out of doing a challenge in the not-too-distant future. If I do a challenge this year, is that what I should expect? I have read that AA will often not grant challenges to those who have done them within the last few years.

I note in the Wiki post on this thread that you cannot requalify with a challenge, but I'm not sure what this means exactly--it seems like many FTers use challenges to requalify if they aren't going to hit status before year-end. Am I misunderstanding? Does it just mean you cannot requalify with a challenge if your previous qualification was from a challenge?

Essentially, if I do the challenge, I will likely hit Platinum but then be out of luck if I need a challenge in the future. If I don't do the challenge, I will almost certainly only hit Gold, and it will take me most of the year to achieve. I know I have to ultimately make the call, I'm just trying to understand the factors involved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.