Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Same Day Standby Policy and Discussion
(Not to be confused with SDFC / Same Day Flight Change - see links below)

Standby has its own rules and peculiarities: (As of 14 Jan 2016)

Same-day standby

Standby for a fee (waived for AA Elites)

For $75 on domestic flights, you may standby on an earlier flight under the following conditions:
  • Standby is not allowed for international flights*.
  • Has the same origin and destination
  • Is for the same calendar day of departure
  • Is marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle
  • Changes to another multi-city airport or to different connecting cities are not allowed
  • You can standby for your originally purchased cabin (not upgraded cabin)
  • Standby means upgrades on the original flights are lost (you can not be on an upgrade list until your standby has cleared)
  • Standby pax may be required to gate check carry-on baggage
  • Standby is prioritized - see "PALL List" link below

*Standby between NYC-LON is offered for $150.

AAdvantage elite members may use the standby option for earlier or later flights.

Though it appeared those with checked bags were being denied SDS, JonNYC clarified that AA affirmed AA Elites are allowed to SDS if they have checked bags. Link.

Complimentary standby
Get complimentary same-day standby with:
  • Unrestricted Economy Class (Y fare), Business or First Class tickets
  • American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum, Platinum Pro or Gold status and companions in same record
  • oneworld® Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby status and companions in same record
  • AirPass membership
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver award tickets
  • AAnytime award tickets
  • Choice Plus fares

Complimentary same-day standby is also available for:
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders

Link

The following passengers may standby at no charge based on availability:
  • Customers who purchase unrestricted Economy Class fares (Y class of service)
  • Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders
  • American Airlines AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum or Gold members
  • oneworld® alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
  • Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold member or oneworld alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flyer status or fare type
  • AAirpass® members
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver® Awards
  • First, Business and Economy Class AAnytime® Awards
  • Customers who purchase a Choice Plus fare

Link

Q. What happens to my upgrade if I stand by for another flight?

Your upgrade and position will be lost. You can not be added to the upgrade list on your desired flight until you have cleared from standby. At that point, it may be too late to request your upgrade, given upgrade requests are normally processed prior to the standby list.

See "Airport Upgrade and Standby List" / Order, PALL List and issues (FT)

Previous posts have been archived and can be read here

Standby is not the same thing as SDFC / Same Day Confirmed Flight Change:

See "Domestic" Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / CFC / "Standby" or

International Same Day Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CDC
Print Wikipost

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by AAdamE
I have wondered this myself and have gotten different answers from different phone and gate agents. Most commonly I have been told that you would lose your ticket if you cannot standby on another flight with the same route that day. While that may be the "policy" we all know there are always exceptions. If I were you I would consider things like:
  • Day of departure - is this a weekday or a weekend - if it's a weekend there are going to be considerably less business travelers with elite status and your chances of clearing standby are much higher
  • Number of daily flights on this route - If there are multiple flights that day are you trying to get on the last flight of the day or the second to last?
  • Admirals Club - I've seen the agents in the admirals club perform diving miracles of modern aviation - are you an AC member? If not check out the meetup thread on here, or buy a one day pass.
Lastly, being gold you have a pretty big AAdvantage, considering most elites want an earlier flight not a later one (as evidenced on this thread). The majority of the people that you would be competing against are non-revs, and folks who missed an earlier flight which you have priority over if they are non-elite.
Thanks, that's what I wanted to figure out. That makes sense but wasn't sure if that was the official policy. and I know exceptions could happen and I am not counting on those but wanted to know what actually happens since nowhere does it officially say you loose your ticket.
AAdamE likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by miadukes
I already did my 5 day free trial for EF and for the moment have no plans to spend $99 just to look at seat space since I would hardly ever have a chance to actually clear an upgrade as a gold and don't fly enough that it matters.
I have Expert Flyer and most people on this forum also pay for it. What are your dates? I'll look it up for you.
Old May 24, 2018, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
bake in the days of yore before there was an AA app, I did standby for later flights several times. I always phoned AA before my original departure to let them know of my intention and to ensure my ticket wasn't cancelled for being a no-show. Phoning had the additional advantage that I could ask the agent what my chances were for the later flight(s), and they were always happy to give an estimate like "maybe", "pretty good", if not hard numbers.

If you're uneasy with the app, the phone call should still work in 2018.
Old May 24, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I get what the OP is asking and is concerned about... Namely:

#1 What happens if you stand by for a later flight and all the flights that you are standing by for wind up being sold out. Are you then SOL?

#2 Since you're standing by for a later flight and wind up not boarding for your scheduled flight, does AA's computer system cancel your reservation because it views you as being a "no show" for your booked flight?
Old May 24, 2018, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by swag
bake in the days of yore before there was an AA app, I did standby for later flights several times. I always phoned AA before my original departure to let them know of my intention and to ensure my ticket wasn't cancelled for being a no-show. Phoning had the additional advantage that I could ask the agent what my chances were for the later flight(s), and they were always happy to give an estimate like "maybe", "pretty good", if not hard numbers.

If you're uneasy with the app, the phone call should still work in 2018.
Thanks for your input, phoning will be the thing to do then.
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I get what the OP is asking and is concerned about... Namely:

#1 What happens if you stand by for a later flight and all the flights that you are standing by for wind up being sold out. Are you then SOL?

#2 Since you're standing by for a later flight and wind up not boarding for your scheduled flight, does AA's computer system cancel your reservation because it views you as being a "no show" for your booked flight?
Yes thank you that was more my concern.

Thanks everyone for your input. I am always trying to learn more about the ins and outs of being a pro flyer and programs since I don't fly nearly as much as everyone here.
Old May 24, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,

Thanks everyone for your input. I am always trying to learn more about the ins and outs of being a pro flyer and programs since I don't fly nearly as much as everyone here.
I stand by for later flights somewhat regularly - always on routes such as BOS to LGA and DCA to LGA with multiple frequencies. I have never stood by for the last flight, but I can tell you about my process.

1) When it is time to check in for my original flight (24 hours before), log in to the AA app. Many times, "Same-Day travel change" is available, and you can select standby for the flight you want.

2) Even if you do this, I always call the AA reservations line and declare to the agent that I will be standing by for a later flight. They always say something like "are you sure you don't want to do a confirmed flight?" I say always say no. They note this in the system, then I hang up.

3) Show up to the airport before my desired flight and go up to the check-in agents. I tell them I am standing by for a flight and need a pass to get through security. They always spend a few minutes on the computer and give me a pass (not a boarding pass, but some other pass that I forget the exact name of) to go through. I have no idea if the original itinerary was "cancelled" or not, but it doesn't really matter; either way, the check in agent is able to put you on a standby list and give you a pass to get through security.
milesforhire likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 2:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by donotblink
IRL, I've asked gate agents to put me on same day standby for earlier flights to co-terminals (JFK/LGA) or on direct routing and been denied multiple times. I've been told that it's not possible to do in their system. I've never been in your exact situation, because I don't want to risk having missed my flight, but I would not bank on changing your routing or going to a co-terminal.
The system does NOT prevent GA from putting a passenger on standby between JFK/LGA but it is prohibited by policy. Some stations have consistently allow for it.

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I can't speak to what happens if you have a round-trip segment as my experience involved one segment flights only.

Regardless of whether you speak/not speak with AA beforehand, the original (earlier) flight segment would be "cancelled" and the reservation will no longer pull up in the kiosk/app/aa.com but airport agents will be able to retrieve it and put you on later same-day standby.
Old May 24, 2018, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
I stand by for later flights somewhat regularly - always on routes such as BOS to LGA and DCA to LGA with multiple frequencies. I have never stood by for the last flight, but I can tell you about my process.

1) When it is time to check in for my original flight (24 hours before), log in to the AA app. Many times, "Same-Day travel change" is available, and you can select standby for the flight you want.

2) Even if you do this, I always call the AA reservations line and declare to the agent that I will be standing by for a later flight. They always say something like "are you sure you don't want to do a confirmed flight?" I say always say no. They note this in the system, then I hang up.

3) Show up to the airport before my desired flight and go up to the check-in agents. I tell them I am standing by for a flight and need a pass to get through security. They always spend a few minutes on the computer and give me a pass (not a boarding pass, but some other pass that I forget the exact name of) to go through. I have no idea if the original itinerary was "cancelled" or not, but it doesn't really matter; either way, the check in agent is able to put you on a standby list and give you a pass to get through security.
Originally Posted by seawolf
The system does NOT prevent GA from putting a passenger on standby between JFK/LGA but it is prohibited by policy. Some stations have consistently allow for it.

I can't speak to what happens if you have a round-trip segment as my experience involved one segment flights only.

Regardless of whether you speak/not speak with AA beforehand, the original (earlier) flight segment would be "cancelled" and the reservation will no longer pull up in the kiosk/app/aa.com but airport agents will be able to retrieve it and put you on later same-day standby.
Bolding is mine. Thank you for this very useful information!!
Old May 24, 2018, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA EP
Hi, I can speak to this directly as I have done a same day elite standby for a later flight dozens of times and have experienced every possible outcome imaginable. This sole perk was the reason I ever even set out to get AA elite status in the first place. I used to fly ORD/LGA weekly, and with the hourly flights it made a lot of sense for me to book the cheapest (often 6am) flights and then go to the airport at my leisure, and get on the one that matched my schedule (and traffic!) at the time. Prior to last year AA IT was very finicky about allowing you to select SDS or SDFC through self-service tools. This was frustrating since phone agents can't process this for you either, it can only be done at the airport. It seems like within the last year it offers the option pretty consistently. If it doesn't, it is extremely important you call AA within 24 hours and advise them of your intention that you will be missing your original flight to SDS for a later one. Here is why:

Indeed, your ticket will be cancelled either way. However, if you do not call and the gate marks you as a "no-show", when you do arrive to the airport, the agent may assign you a lower standby priority. This has happened to me several times (see PALL list) and they will assign you an RL code. This is the "flat tire rule", for someone who misses their flight. When generating the order of the standby list, these passengers will fall after those assigned an RV code, or a voluntary change. By calling them in advance, they cancel the ticket and notate the reservation, so you avoid the RL code. Before I even knew about these codes or the PALL list I never used to call, and there were two flights that I would have been able to board had I been assigned an RV instead of an RL code. The standby list was 20ish people deep and (as a Plat at the time) I was dead last on the list, they were letting non-elites who were voluntarily standing by for earlier flights clear from the list before me. I was very upset as I was the only one who did not clear.

In terms of chancing it with the last flight of the night, I've done that many times; on two sad occasions I didn't clear from the list. As others have stated, the policy is "same calendar day", The first time it happened was out of DEN, and the next flight was at 1am, so technically a different calendar day. They let me list for that and I cleared. The second occasion was truly the following morning, and they also agreed to roll me over. But I doubt they would have done so on the phone. It's at the discretion fo the agent, but formally, this doesn't seem to be endorsed.

Hope this helps.
Old May 25, 2018, 12:42 am

My main question that I keep asking and don't seem to get a clear answer is if I do not show up to the 6:30am flight and have selected the standby option for the 7pm flight, does my ticket get cancelled or does the system realize that I am trying to fly later. That is my main concern, not so much missing flight, wasting ticket. etc. Yes I am concern with the latter but not as much as let's say I go about my normal day at 6:30am and even though I have selected a later standby and then I look at my app later in the day and discover that my flight has been cancelled because I did not get to a gate or anything in that morning flight. I already did my 5 day free trial for EF and for the moment have no plans to spend $99 just to look at seat space since I would hardly ever have a chance to actually clear an upgrade as a gold and don't fly enough that it matters.
Yes, the system knows you are standing by for another flight and no, the reservations does not automatically cancel. Once you selected the same day standby option, you will actually be able to see in the app that you are on the standby list and your position on the list, which can change throughout the day.

I am notorious for standing by for the last flight of the day MIA-YYZ and have only not made it once. Both at check in and at the gate, the agents said that they would roll me to the first flight the next day as a standby. And that is what was done. I was rolled to the standby list for the first flight the next morning. Most agents are nice enough to do so. Whether they are required to by the wording of the rules, is another story.
chrisny2, Adelphos and miadukes like this.
Old May 25, 2018, 5:18 am

Samm and Rumboj, thanks for the very detailed experiences. I feel better attempting this after reading both of these.
Old May 25, 2018, 5:58 am

Samm and Rumboj, thanks for the very detailed experiences. I feel better attempting this after reading both of these.
You bet! Happy to help. Your concerns were totally valid, and the AA site doesn't make it very clear on the nuances around how to go about SDS'ing for a later flight. Good luck!
miadukes and AAdamE like this.
Old May 25, 2018, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by rumboj

Yes, the system knows you are standing by for another flight and no, the reservations does not automatically cancel. Once you selected the same day standby option, you will actually be able to see in the app that you are on the standby list and your position on the list, which can change throughout the day.

I am notorious for standing by for the last flight of the day MIA-YYZ and have only not made it once. Both at check in and at the gate, the agents said that they would roll me to the first flight the next day as a standby. And that is what was done. I was rolled to the standby list for the first flight the next morning. Most agents are nice enough to do so. Whether they are required to by the wording of the rules, is another story.

I'm actually very surprised they let you SDS for a flight to Canada with regularity. I thought that was only eligible for confirmed SDFC. Is there ever any E space when you request this?
Old May 25, 2018, 9:49 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by samm
I'm actually very surprised they let you SDS for a flight to Canada with regularity. I thought that was only eligible for confirmed SDFC. Is there ever any E space when you request this?
Yes there is E space on flights to/from Canada and yes you can do SDS as well.
Old May 26, 2018, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by samm
This is a case where the rules say one thing and reality is something else. When the whole Same day standy by became a “thing”, the rules stated it was available for flights to/from Canada. Very recently the rules changed to those in the link you provided but, as pointed out by seawolf, there is often E space and they do SDS. I am guessing they saw this as an opportunity to make money. If you say in the rules that same day standby is not available for flights to and from Canada, the minute someone sees E space, they will quickly do a same day flight change and pay the $75 fee. I am sure AA is happy about that. I just do my SDS and wait it out. The 8.40am departure from MIA to YYZ is typically (much) cheaper than the 8.30pm departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.