Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Same Day Standby Policy and Discussion
(Not to be confused with SDFC / Same Day Flight Change - see links below)

Standby has its own rules and peculiarities: (As of 14 Jan 2016)

Same-day standby

Standby for a fee (waived for AA Elites)

For $75 on domestic flights, you may standby on an earlier flight under the following conditions:
  • Standby is not allowed for international flights*.
  • Has the same origin and destination
  • Is for the same calendar day of departure
  • Is marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle
  • Changes to another multi-city airport or to different connecting cities are not allowed
  • You can standby for your originally purchased cabin (not upgraded cabin)
  • Standby means upgrades on the original flights are lost (you can not be on an upgrade list until your standby has cleared)
  • Standby pax may be required to gate check carry-on baggage
  • Standby is prioritized - see "PALL List" link below

*Standby between NYC-LON is offered for $150.

AAdvantage elite members may use the standby option for earlier or later flights.

Though it appeared those with checked bags were being denied SDS, JonNYC clarified that AA affirmed AA Elites are allowed to SDS if they have checked bags. Link.

Complimentary standby
Get complimentary same-day standby with:
  • Unrestricted Economy Class (Y fare), Business or First Class tickets
  • American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum, Platinum Pro or Gold status and companions in same record
  • oneworld® Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby status and companions in same record
  • AirPass membership
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver award tickets
  • AAnytime award tickets
  • Choice Plus fares

Complimentary same-day standby is also available for:
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders

Link

The following passengers may standby at no charge based on availability:
  • Customers who purchase unrestricted Economy Class fares (Y class of service)
  • Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders
  • American Airlines AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum or Gold members
  • oneworld® alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
  • Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold member or oneworld alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flyer status or fare type
  • AAirpass® members
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver® Awards
  • First, Business and Economy Class AAnytime® Awards
  • Customers who purchase a Choice Plus fare

Link

Q. What happens to my upgrade if I stand by for another flight?

Your upgrade and position will be lost. You can not be added to the upgrade list on your desired flight until you have cleared from standby. At that point, it may be too late to request your upgrade, given upgrade requests are normally processed prior to the standby list.

See "Airport Upgrade and Standby List" / Order, PALL List and issues (FT)

Previous posts have been archived and can be read here

Standby is not the same thing as SDFC / Same Day Confirmed Flight Change:

See "Domestic" Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / CFC / "Standby" or

International Same Day Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CDC
Print Wikipost

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2014, 1:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by trekker954
You know, those afternoon thunder storms in Miami and those union workers not getting wet loading bags - I have had to wait on them.
As zski1 wrote, ramp closures during electrical storms have nothing to do with unions.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 4:53 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by Ready2Go
…ramp closures during electrical storms have nothing to do with unions.
Surely the unions would want to keep their workers indoors and protected during electrical storms.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
i'm writing from Rome. My fears came true, sort of. I was almost in disbelief as I checked in around 10:30, long after that plane took off for JFK in the morning that I wanted to be on, but I didn't go to the airport early, everyone hear just left me thinking the wouldn't help me onto an earlier flight.
I stopped in the admirals club for an hour and headed to my gate, still showing on time. I couldn't believe it was all going to go smooth. As I'm settling in at the gate, they make an announcement that weather is bad in JFK (I knew that) and they'd let us know if/when we might leave and will get back to us at 1:30. ugh. That an hour, leaving my connection to 1/2 hour. But they told everyone not to worry, even connections out of JFK would be delayed. I didn't go into a tizzy, what can you do. Nothing. At 1:30 we boarded, but we sat there a while. Bottom line, we were giong to get to JFK at 4:40, my flight leaves at 5:10 and initially I was going to arrive at the gate next to my departing. Well fast forward, our arrive gate now is 6, I'm leaving out of 45. As we touch down, I see my departure is now leaving at 5:30. So I am off the plane at 5, the gate agent walks me to the gate to make sure my flight is leaving out of 45, and as we are there, she gets a call to ask me to hurry. So lugging a heavy carry on, I'm 60 and not in great shape, I sprint through terminal 8, down thru the tunnel, flying down and up those stairs, my heart was pounding but as I approach the gate, I see the regular line still boarding a long <redacted> line. At least I was relieved but geez. I hope on the priority line, and the agent walks over and was so nice and even said no to worry about my bags making it. So I settled in to my business seat, flight attendant brings me a glass of water, although champagne is flowing nicely. This had to be some of the nicest attendants I've ever met. But we sit there at the gate for 2 1/2 hours. Thanks for the guy who breached TSA security at terminal 8 at 4:30, everything was pretty much shut down. That is why they had stopped boarding my FCO flight for a while. I've never been so happy. I didn't care that the flight was very late. and my suitcases made it. So I'm loving life.
ronp101 likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 7, 2015 at 6:36 pm Reason: Attempting to bypass prohibited word
Old Oct 6, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Surely the unions would want to keep their workers indoors and protected during electrical storms.
That's like saying Unions are responsible for having sexual harrasment rules in the workplace. You have them for employees safety and common sense, not because you pay 5% of your wages to the union reps.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
I shouldn't have commented about that here. Happy to discuss in an appropriate thread.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
Can't standby domestically when coming from overseas

When I arrived at DFW from HKG I inquired at the rebooking station if I could standby for an earlier flight. I broke two kiosks in the process of trying. My layover would be eight hours. A friendly agent told me that that is not allowed on international itineraries. The agent suggested I banish all traces of coming from overseas with a freshly minted boarding pass and apply at the gate for a flight leaving in about two hours. I did that and was accepted on the standby list. The agent and I both acknowledged that I had no chance but it felt good to be on the list.
I did my time in the terminal and flew home on my original flight.
Has this happened to anyone else? I cannot imagine not being allowed to standby for another same day flight.
Air travel seems to be riddled with land mines these days.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
This is an official policy of AA , or that's what I've been told in the past. GA or TA occasionally willing to overlook.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 6:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We've moved your query to the longstanding thread. /Moderator

International itineraries preclude standby. Nonetheless, I've had the occasional change granted by a friendly employee, even on international segments.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 2:07 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
learning the hard wAAy

Is the "no change to international itineraries" policy generally across all U.S. carriers? Is it policy directed by the U.S. government? I have never been denied the opportunity to move to an earlier flight when returning from overseas on DL or UA. This happens just once or twice a year with them and I assumed it was legit.
When I book journeys on AA I will now accept a tight connection when returning to the U.S., now that I know about their rule.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 5:02 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by JDiver
International itineraries preclude standby. Nonetheless, I've had the occasional change granted by a friendly employee, even on international segments.
Unpacking this: lots of reports of GAs allowing standby on domestic segments connecting to/from international segments (and no refusals that I can recall?).

But being allowed to standby on an international segment is rare (tell us more?).
Old Feb 8, 2015, 5:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by nbevan
Unpacking this: lots of reports of GAs allowing standby on domestic segments connecting to/from international segments (and no refusals that I can recall?).

But being allowed to standby on an international segment is rare (tell us more?).
I've been allowed standby / changes on connecting domestic segments many times, and on international segments (e.g. ex-LHR, MEX and others to USA) occasionally, for reasons that were not IROPS, over the years. I've definitely had refusals for both, even when a seat has been available and I've had no checked baggage.

I'm not entirely sure how rigid the rules are, but there are people who will apply them rigidly, whether it's their inclination toward the rules, laziness or ? whereas there are others who, given a reason and a friendly approach, are inclined to help.

Same with IROPS - some have been more than willing to go the extra mile, others a bit more disinterested. But I generally follow the conventional wisdom here and approach with a plan that's easy to fulfill and the information (e.g. ExpertFlyer showing plenty of availability on my preferred flight, not so much on my originally scheduled flight.

I'm always grateful when I hear "let me see what I can do".

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 26, 2015 at 8:51 am
Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:58 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
I assume that most GAs are either unaware of the rule for domestic segments with an international connection, or that the international connection does not automatically show up on their screen when waitlisting the domestic segment, as I have had no difficulty on the few occasions I have asked (once getting the last seat on the flight).
Old Feb 26, 2015, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA CK, DL GM, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH DIA
Standby BA Ticket on AA Metal

I tried searching for this without much luck. I'm on a J ticket (not fully changeable) and realized my connection in ORD was tight. American won't let me use SDC to change the flight, because it's BA ticket stock.

There's a lot of availability and I'm OW Emerald (US CP)--can I just show up at the airport and standby for an earlier flight?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 4:44 pm

Domestic itinerary?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA CK, DL GM, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH DIA
Routing is ORD-PHL-LHR-CPH (don't ask I wanted to fly on a 747). Leg in question in ORD-PHL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.