Wiki Posts
Search

Difficulty Getting an AA Refund

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2023, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
Difficulty Getting an AA Refund

I booked 2 seats LAX -> MIA round trip using AAdvantage miles. I upgraded for cash on both legs. AA changed my flight to an unacceptable time and flight so I cancelled and rebooked. They refunded my credit card for all 4 security fees, but only 2 of the upgrade fees. I called customer service only to be told they can't help with refunds, I had to do online. So I tried, I put in the info for each of the record numbers. Each attempt showed that I had been refunded the security fee. I agree with that, but nothing about the upgrade fees, not even the ones I actually was refunded. It wouldn't let me go any further. Next I tried to email AA. I was forced to pick one of 3 subjects, none of which were anywhere close to my issue. See attached. I have spend 4 or 5 hours today researching and documenting my issue, but how do I get someone to fix it? Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
When you say that you "upgraded," do you mean to a different class of service? Or did you simply purchase Preferred or Main Cabin Extra seats within the Economy cabin?
Old Jan 8, 2023, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Don't select advantage customer service - use Compliments and Complaints and contact customer relations to fix it.

AAdvantage customer service is to deal with your AAdvantage account and do housekeeping on it.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 8:46 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
have you tried submitting on this link?
https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/
Old Jan 9, 2023, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
When you say that you "upgraded," do you mean to a different class of service? Or did you simply purchase Preferred or Main Cabin Extra seats within the Economy cabin?
Main Cabin Extra.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
have you tried submitting on this link?
https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/
Yes, it only showed the security fee refunds, nothing about the 4 Main Cabin Extra charges. Even though they refunded 2 of them when it should have been 4.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius
Don't select advantage customer service - use Compliments and Complaints and contact customer relations to fix it.

AAdvantage customer service is to deal with your AAdvantage account and do housekeeping on it.
Hmm? I didn't notice that option on their website, but I found it with a Google search. Thanks, I will give it a try.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 9:42 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by johnasmith
Yes, it only showed the security fee refunds, nothing about the 4 Main Cabin Extra charges. Even though they refunded 2 of them when it should have been 4.
Don't MCE charges get different "ticket" numbers? Check your CC statement for those and make sure you entered those ticket numbers, if you haven't already.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Don't MCE charges get different "ticket" numbers? Check your CC statement for those and make sure you entered those ticket numbers, if you haven't already.
They do? Good lord, that's the IT kludge of the century.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 10:17 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
They do? Good lord, that's the IT kludge of the century.
I thought so. However, I've never bought MCE, so I could be wrong.

EDITED TO ADD: See https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...p#ticketnumber. I cut and pasted the relevant text below (emphasis mine).

Ticket number

Where can I find my ticket number?ExpandThe ticket number can be found on your:
  • Confirmation email and receipt – look toward the end of the email under the 'Receipt' section
  • Receipt from Airport / City Ticket Office – look at the bottom in the middle of the ticket
  • Credit card statement
The ticket number is 13 characters long and also contains the airline code. The ticket number is the last 10 digits. Keep in mind there are separate ticket numbers for add-ons like seats, upgrades and bags.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by johnasmith
Main Cabin Extra.
OK. Note that these are not considered "upgrades," so if you have to communicate with AA, avoid using that term. You are seeking a refund of seat fees; as noted upthread, seat fees get their own ticket numbers, so try entering the ticket number for the missing seat fees on the AA Refunds page.
ijgordon and Antarius like this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 10:59 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
^ This.

There should have been a different ticket number for your MCE purchase. Should be in the email receipt you got when you bought it. You'll need to submit this as a separate refund request.
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought so. However, I've never bought MCE, so I could be wrong.

EDITED TO ADD: See https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...p#ticketnumber. I cut and pasted the relevant text below (emphasis mine).

Ticket number

Where can I find my ticket number?ExpandThe ticket number can be found on your:
  • Confirmation email and receipt – look toward the end of the email under the 'Receipt' section
  • Receipt from Airport / City Ticket Office – look at the bottom in the middle of the ticket
  • Credit card statement
The ticket number is 13 characters long and also contains the airline code. The ticket number is the last 10 digits. Keep in mind there are separate ticket numbers for add-ons like seats, upgrades and bags.
Thanks.

Amazing stuff. This just shows how short sighted and rudderless AA is. This is a horrible solution that will lead to way more long term cost in terms of supportability and upgrades.

As long as the bean counters see IT as a purely a back end cost center , they'll never actually invest and tap into the real benefit it can provide.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
^ This.

There should have been a different ticket number for your MCE purchase. Should be in the email receipt you got when you bought it. You'll need to submit this as a separate refund request.
I found the receipt for the 2 Main Cabin Extra's for one flight, but unfortunately I have no receipt for the second one. They did charge my card though so at least I can now figure out which flight they did not refund. I don't understand why AA does not provide this information on my account logon. I submitted a complaint to Customer Relation online, so hopefully they will respond.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Keep in mind there are separate ticket numbers for add-ons like seats, upgrades and bags.
Yes, absolutely the case.
I recently canceled a flight where I had also purchased the "move to first class" offer for $199 shortly prior to the flight date.
I just canceled that flight and, while the ticket goes back into my account for future use, I did submit a refund request for the $199, which came with its own Ticket Number, separate from the original flight ticket. They were actually pretty prompt about it and refunded the amount to my credit card in a few days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.