Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

F/A Union proposes, AA accepts, REDUCED service levels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F/A Union proposes, AA accepts, REDUCED service levels

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2022, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
Read it again, Appetizer, Soup and Salad AT ONCE, main and dessert AFTER.
Which is unacceptable for three-class F.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 11:24 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I'm surprised by how little of the vitriol is directed at management for this situation. A pox on both houses, I say. The cuts in premium transcon and intl service is directly related to reduced staffing levels. AA cut the staffing. APFA said we don't want want to do more work that's not in our contract. APFA and AA got together and agreed to use COVID as an excuse to lower the workload per FA and keep staffing levels reduced. Both management and the union got what they wanted. AA removed a FA position; APFA kept the workload the same per FA position. And customers got the big old middle finger from both groups.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 11:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Am I the only one who prefers to have my whole meal served at once? It's just so much more convenient.
Then they should offer an Express option and leave course by course service as the norm.
railmatt likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 11:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Catbert10
I'm surprised by how little of the vitriol is directed at management for this situation.
Because we know who's at fault.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
Which is unacceptable for three-class F.
Hell that would be unacceptable on Tower Air.
KeithRedford likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 1:17 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Because we know who's at fault.
Yeah, BOTH groups
Old Jan 22, 2022, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Catbert10
I'm surprised by how little of the vitriol is directed at management for this situation. A pox on both houses, I say. The cuts in premium transcon and intl service is directly related to reduced staffing levels. AA cut the staffing. APFA said we don't want want to do more work that's not in our contract. APFA and AA got together and agreed to use COVID as an excuse to lower the workload per FA and keep staffing levels reduced. Both management and the union got what they wanted. AA removed a FA position; APFA kept the workload the same per FA position. And customers got the big old middle finger from both groups.
this is a conundrum because here you have parker saying that masks should be gone on airplanes and the air is fine etc etc but ok sure lets limit service now becasue its very dangerous (and to be clear i am all for masks at the moment). which is it?

its clearly where the $$ is less in my most skeptical perspective!
carmelsown likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by fdog
What's your view of these "temporary" reductions-in-service being rolled back in the future? One year - two years - never?

All the best, James
I feel confident the "temporary" restrictions will eventually be rolled back. It's just that AA is quick to implement cutbacks (all in the farcically well-intentioned name of "health" or "safety") and then slow to remove them when the "risk" is no longer there due to cost-savings (take the continued AC shower closure, for example). All the while, the price still remains the same for the consumer.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 23, 2022, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
To agree to this, AA should have said that FAs should be required to stay in their hotel room for their safety during layovers, if they're that concerned. Instead, many FAs go shopping, to bars and restaurants, ride public transport...all the exact opposite of what they are claiming. Yes, some of those are close quarters like an airplane, so same thing. It's such a double standard...I even overheard some young FAs talking about their crazy night at a club the other day. It was so loud I could hear it three rows behind the galley.

I canceled an F ticket LHR-JFK this week because of these changes.
ExpatExp, carmelsown and js1993 like this.

Last edited by SkyTeam777; Jan 24, 2022 at 3:20 am
Old Jan 23, 2022, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
So, you can get properly-served meal service in FFD because that staff is immune from covid, but you can't do this in Flagship First because the FAs aren't?
Old Jan 23, 2022, 10:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777

Good for you. Likewise I’ve stopped all F (fare and booking class) transcon purchases and moved them to B6 J. I’m not paying for an F product that AA FAs are too lazy to provide and AA management is too weak-willed to support.
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 10:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fanjet
So, you can get properly-served meal service in FFD because that staff is immune from covid, but you can't do this in Flagship First because the FAs aren't?
Wait, I get in now. Just like in a restaurant, you can only catch COVID standing; while sitting you’re immune. Since FAs stand to provide service (between US Weekly reading sessions) therein lies the danger!
Old Jan 24, 2022, 1:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Likewise I’ve stopped all F (fare and booking class) transcon purchases and moved them to B6 J. I’m not paying for an F product that AA FAs are too lazy to provide and AA management is too weak-willed to support.
I'd encourage you both to write AA and let them know why you're cancelling F tickets. Doubtful it will make a difference, but who knows?

-FlyerBeek
SkyTeam777 and robertablake like this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 7:18 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by KeithRedford
I guess APFA wants us to do the service part of the job. That's fine, my own Woodford/rum/vodka mini bottles will find their way onto each AA flight and will come off the flight in my bag, empty.
i *might* have been guilty of this in the past, but given that they now go out of the way to make the announcement about bringing and consuming your own alcohol violates federal law, I don’t want to risk a power hungry FA calling in the feds to haul me off the plane and putting me on the no fly list because I added a shot of Tito’s to my seltzer.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 9:49 am

Programs: AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, SQ, UA, DL, WN
I have rarely hit this but I anticipate using the "FA Call Button" a lot more without guilt. Could be annoying hearing those more often from other pax but I guess they're banking on people using the call buttons will be easier for FAs than an official service.

Seems like a sleazy way to run a business (i.e Circuit City) and makes F and J seem less like F and J but that's their prerogative (or lack thereof) and they'll face the consequences of unhappy customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.