Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

F/A Union proposes, AA accepts, REDUCED service levels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2022, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aadvantage, Skymiles

With the continued spread of the Omicron variant, APFA has proposed a temporary reduction to onboard service levels and customer touchpoints. Our goal is to maintain the highest level of Flight Attendant and passenger safety as possible onboard the aircraft. These proposed changes lessen the time that a passenger will not be wearing a mask and, in turn, limit Flight Attendant exposure.

APFA proposals include serving entreés with salad/soup/appetizers in premium cabins when possible and reducing main cabin beverage services on domestic and IPD flights. We have asked that these reductions in service be implemented immediately.

Stay tuned for updated service guidelines from the company.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 9:14 am

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE

..."temporary"...

All the best, James
CO-PLAT, edgewood49 and cmd320 like this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Guess we should remove the 1 FA per 50 pax rule too.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Completely absurd.

Back to the hockey puck roll all on one tray. As far as domestic F it possibly can't get much worse than a side plate of King Kuts and blueberries.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 9:57 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Omicron will have blown through by the time this is implemented, and they know that. It's a thinly veiled attempt to do less work for the same pay.

Plus, it's hard to "reduce" something that is already vanishingly small.
BearX220, jAAck, Doppy and 38 others like this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 10:19 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
In other news, the APFA needs to go take a long walk off a tall cliff. Most worthless union I've ever seen.

I dream of a day where AA leadership will have the guts to actually stand up to this union and restore service to where it should be - where almost every other airline is.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 10:30 am

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
I hope the union proposal on reduced service includes the dreadful Aviator sales pitch - FA’s seem very happy to interact with passengers with this awful offer!
Old Jan 19, 2022, 10:39 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by fatmac70
I hope the union proposal on reduced service includes the dreadful Aviator sales pitch - FA’s seem very happy to interact with passengers with this awful offer!
Interestingly I did not hear one pitch for that on my trip last week - maybe it was done only in coach.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 10:57 am

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
Your lucky - all four flights I have done on AA this year have had the dreaded once in a lifetime sale pitch
GlobalMatt and carmelsown like this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bchandler02
In other news, the APFA needs to go take a long walk off a tall cliff. Most worthless union I've ever seen.

I dream of a day where AA leadership will have the guts to actually stand up to this union and restore service to where it should be - where almost every other airline is.
Not going to happen until the board hires someone with the cojones to tackle the problem. An Alan Joyce type person is needed.
​​​​​​​
bchandler02 and cmd320 like this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 11:10 am
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
How can you reduce service below zero? Do they want the passengers to start serving the FAs? /s... kinda...
(I will add that there are many excellent FAs at AA that appear to like their jobs and are trying to provide the best experience/service the airline (and more accurately the union) allow, but the bar the union and airline have set is very low. If you are an FA, the above comment was not intended to diminish the work that you do. Thank you for still trying to provide the best service possible--people like you are what keep me (and I'm sure others on here) flying American--thank you.)
Old Jan 19, 2022, 11:17 am

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by Antarius
Not going to happen until the board hires someone with the cojones to tackle the problem. An Alan Joyce Beth Dutton type person is needed.

All the best, James
aamilesslave likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah yes, it's well-documented that COVID is spread primarily by serving a salad course separate from an entree. Serving both at the same time stops the virus dead in its tracks.
Babu, Spiff, ijgordon and 43 others like this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Doppy
Ah yes, it's well-documented that COVID is spread primarily by serving a salad course separate from an entree. Serving both at the same time stops the virus dead in its tracks.
What is this thing called a salad course?
carmelsown likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Doppy
There are so many things we're doing as a society that make no sense, such as having to wear a mask when walking into a bar yet being able to have it off as long as one has a drink in his hand. On topic, we can bring all the hot food we want on board and spend however long we want eating it without a mask, and that's ok, yet a FA can't serve a hot meal or can't serve a meal in courses due to risk of COVID spread. I'm all for reasonable mitigation measures, but so much of what we're doing is nonsensical (much like what happened immediately after 9/11 until we settled into a reasonable steady state).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.