Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

F/A Union proposes, AA accepts, REDUCED service levels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F/A Union proposes, AA accepts, REDUCED service levels

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2022, 7:20 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Ok?

All the more reason to be logical and do things that matter while not putting on a theater of things that don't.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 8:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by corolla
I have a better suggestion, since this virus is airborne transmitted and most likely be transmitted by talking to each other, banning all these FAs from chitchatting with each other will most likely stop the spread.

Really don’t understand what exactly could be reduced. Barely flying AA for a long time since not close to their hubs now but isn’t the stuff already served on one tray on most routes? And are they sure they really served 2nd round beverage in main on routes more than 1400mi before (despite being required to do so)? Even before covid??
Right!

How about ask FAs to wear KF94s/KN95s (some are decently comfortable) instead? Or require passengers to wear at minimum a surgical mask (brand it with AA even). That would make everyone safer versus reducing service. We know a plane is safer space than a restaurant at this point due to the masks and HEPA.

A 'touchpoint" (aka a tray of food) is not spreading COVID. We know this now, it isn't March 2020.

If the union is really worried about employee safety they'd be requesting AA provide better masks.

Last edited by airb330; Jan 20, 2022 at 8:45 am
Old Jan 20, 2022, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by airb330

A 'touchpoint" (aka a tray of food) is not spreading COVID. We know this now, it isn't March 2020.​​​​​​
yup. We have a trove of data that shows it spreads airborne and needlessly sanitizing oneself and everything we touch is pointless.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm surprised that the APFA didn't get a #DIV/0 error when proposing this. Dividing by zero doesn't work.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 9:50 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Originally Posted by airb330
Right!

How about ask FAs to wear KF94s/KN95s (some are decently comfortable) instead? Or require passengers to wear at minimum a surgical mask (brand it with AA even). That would make everyone safer versus reducing service. We know a plane is safer space than a restaurant at this point due to the masks and HEPA.

A 'touchpoint" (aka a tray of food) is not spreading COVID. We know this now, it isn't March 2020.

If the union is really worried about employee safety they'd be requesting AA provide better masks.
Exactly. If the union + AA is truly concerned about safety, they would make everyone wear a surgical mask at a minimum. Cloth masks are basically useless against Omicron and are nothing but a fashion accessory at this point. I wear a KN95 when I mask up and I actually find them more comfortable than a gimmicky cloth mask as you don't need to constantly adjust the KN95 to your face when talking...it pretty much stays in place.

The one thing I find hilarious with all of these service cutbacks is the massive advertising airlines did within the last year to encourage pax to get back onboard..."It's safe to fly, experts agree!!" or my favorite (on the AS website) "Travelers wearing a mask have a .003% or NEAR-ZERO CHANCE [Alaska's emphasis, not mine] of being exposed to the virus, even on a full aircraft".

If providing a second beverage service in Y on a transcon flight is such a risk to the flight crew, then there isn't a near-zero chance of being exposed to the virus onboard. You can't have it both ways.
enviroian and airb330 like this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 9:59 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Following with interest so I know if I have to avoid AA for a while.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 10:04 am

The insanity of these demands by the union is so absurd that I truly can't understand why AA management would entertain them even for a second. The only conclusion I can draw is that, short of physically assaulting passengers, American's leadership thinks that they can treat their customers as poorly as they want without any significant loss of revenue. Passengers have become as much a commodity to them as corn or wheat.
bchandler02 and CLT like this.

Last edited by AADFW; Jan 20, 2022 at 10:14 am
Old Jan 20, 2022, 10:07 am

I don't blame them, really. I mean, who amongst us wouldn't rather do less with the same pay?
Old Jan 20, 2022, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by Visconti
I don't blame them, really. I mean, who amongst us wouldn't rather do less with the same pay?
I partially agree, but I think I'd get bored. Rather go meet the passengers and see what problems I can solve today Honestly.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 3:07 pm

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
Originally Posted by NDFan
Inexplicably, in American English, the "entree" is the main course.
(Americans like to do things differently to the rest of the world )
Of course, right you are. Been a while since I’ve been across the pond and had forgotten all about that peculiarity.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 3:34 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
It is a simple union leadership request to management as part of an ongoing back and forth collective bargaining relationship.

People swearing that they will avoid AA because the FA might serve the appetizer and the entree on the same tray seems a little like complaining about the music the band was playing on the Titanic. People acting like a union request is 'insanity'. Its not insanity, its posturing. Its the union leadership justifying collecting dues by making requests of management on the workers' behalf. Like every other industrial union on the planet.

Here is the total request:

"APFA proposals include serving entreés with salad/soup/appetizers in premium cabins when possible and reducing main cabin beverage services on domestic and IPD flights. We have asked that these reductions in service be implemented immediately."

https://mailchi.mp/apfa.org/temporar...service-levels

This is what people are losing their gourd over. A temporary request. By the time the company even starts discussing it, Omicron surge will already be over.

1) Temporary: lasting for only a limited period of time; not permanent.
2) Request: an act of asking politely or formally for something.

Of all the reasons to be avoiding AA lately (operational meltdowns, cancelled flights, inability to reach customer service, tone deaf management, apathetic and/or hostile employees, devalued loyalty program, etc) the potential (not actually happening, but potential) of not having your appetizer served separately from your entree seems to be an odd 'final straw'.

But it is fun to read.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 5:08 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I think your question is not rhetorical... Yes, provided you haven't used any of the current year's benefit you can always change your selected airline online in January. After January, I think you'll need to call-in to change and it's a bit more YMMV.

-FlyerBeek
This is the correct answer. I changed mine to UA from AA Jan 1. Could not switch in December because of 40 usd used on AA.
unitedbusiness likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 5:42 pm
Suspended

it's possible to offer even LESS service?
Old Jan 20, 2022, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 747-800i
it's possible to offer even LESS service?
#DIV/0
Old Jan 20, 2022, 7:42 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
This is what people are losing their gourd over. A temporary request. By the time the company even starts discussing it, Omicron surge will already be over.

1) Temporary: lasting for only a limited period of time; not permanent.
2) Request: an act of asking politely or formally for something.
You mean, like the other "temporary" service reductions that are almost two years old?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.