Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

F/A Union proposes, AA accepts, REDUCED service levels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F/A Union proposes, AA accepts, REDUCED service levels

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2022, 5:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by doc4science
I feel similarly and often walk back to the galley (especially on long haul red eyes) to ask for a drink. Anyone know if this is prefered or if the call button is the way to go?
Some carriers have rules saying that alcoholic drinks can only be served one at a time to passengers who are seated (in their own seats). If walking to the galley means that you'll try to pour your own glass of wine, etc., FAs are likely to become upset with you.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 6:22 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Originally Posted by PTahCha
You can go into the galley to ask for a drink, but you're not supposed to linger or do stretch yoga.

It is a FAA regulation, where the FA has to serve all alcohol onboard so they can monitor the intake, just like at a bar/restaurant. AA used to allow BYOB in the premium cabin pre-3oz rule days, but definitely not in coach.
I've been kicked out of the galley numerous times just for asking a glass of water...no aero yoga involved.

I understand it's a FAR...that wasn't my question. My question was whether AA had a policy that allow FAs to serve BYOB alcohol, as B6 has/had.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 10:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by CLT
I've been kicked out of the galley numerous times just for asking a glass of water...no aero yoga involved.

I understand it's a FAR...that wasn't my question. My question was whether AA had a policy that allow FAs to serve BYOB alcohol, as B6 has/had.
And the answer is yes - in the past.

And no reason FA should kick you out of the galley, unless it was blocked off when they needed to enter the cockpit to deliver pilot meal, or let one of the pilots out for bathroom break.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 11:38 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Originally Posted by Herb687
If you really want to up your game, talk to the sell-side analysts who cover the stock and imply there's a frequent flyer boycott in the works and that premium cabin revenue is under threat.
My strategy involves being a de facto ExecPlat on SkyWest. Great solo F seats on the E175, much nicer FAs who are represented by an internal union, not the atrocious APFA or AFA, and usually reasonably priced by the parent carrier with service that meets expectations. I'll pay $300-$350 for F SFO-PHX on a OO E175 over an AA A321 any day. AA and the APFA will get hurt financially if this nonsense continues.
fdog and aj411 like this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 12:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by PotomacApproach
AA and the APFA will get hurt financially if this nonsense continues.
One can only hope. I've been boycotting AA for over a year but you still have folks like my fiance who "Will pay more to fly direct" and keep funnelling money to AA from the fortress hubs.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 3:49 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
The FAR (121.575) simply says "No person may drink any alcoholic beverage aboard an aircraft unless the certificate holder operating the aircrafthas served that beverage to him." So, there's no federal prohibition on BYOB provided it's served by an FA (presumably so they can monitor consumption and prevent intoxication). I'm unsure if AA has any further policy, but in the distant past (10+ years ago) I know I've witnessed AA FAs serving personally procured wine in international F/J. Nowadays, I simply don't see that happening regardless of whether there's an AA policy that specifically addresses it.
Great to know this is what the law actually says, and thanks for posting it.

However, this is AA. The FAs invent write their own FAA regulations
96SS and PotomacApproach like this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 5:12 am

LOL...on a recent TCON, about 1/2 way into the flight, I hear the FA call buttons go off; it instantly reminded me of enviroian's pic, and I just started laughing. I never understood the position that the FA button should only be used in the case of emergencies, kind of like all those puff pieces about making the FA's job easier. I mean, make your job easier? I'm the paying customer, and you should me my flight easier and more enjoyable.

In this covid era, tit for tat is the way to go. If anything, with these unions, I'm leaning towards tit for double tat.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 8:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro/Alaska Airlines MVP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Bonvoy Gold/Emerald Club Exec
For all those saying it's ridiculous to complain about these changes and that these changes are not that big a deal- for me it's more about the message it sends to those that feel AA should be pushing forward towards pre-COVID levels of service. By caving to these union requests, it allow AA to delay the return of food and alcohol and Main and other pre-COVID levels. This is particularly ridiculous when considering the current service levels other domestic airlines and/or One World partners are currently offering.

Last edited by carmelsown; Jan 26, 2022 at 9:11 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 27, 2022, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by carmelsown
For all those saying it's ridiculous to complain about these changes and that these changes are not that big a deal- for me it's more about the message it sends to those that feel AA should be pushing forward towards pre-COVID levels of service. By caving to these union requests, it allow AA to delay the return of food and alcohol and Main and other pre-COVID levels. This is particularly ridiculous when considering the current service levels other domestic airlines and/or One World partners are currently offering.
Also, the less pushback AA gets from doing this, the more likely they are to make these cuts permanent. Remember, the entire culture at the airline is rooted in Parker's cost management philosophy at USAirways... which is to say, cut expenses as much as you possibly can and as often as you possibly can until it becomes very clear that passengers won't tolerate any more. It served his shareholders extremely well over the course of his career.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 9:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Airline management/shareholders wanting to cut on costs + airline employees wanting to have an easier job = agreement to reduce service levels for passengers.
ceebee100 and fotographer like this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by carmelsown
AA FA's wanting to do less mirrors certain teachers unions wanting to keep schools closed. That's exactly how it makes me feel: the FA "teachers" don't want to have to show up and do their best, so their union uses COVID as an excuse to reduce effort like teach in person, for things that other states' schools (other airlines) have no problem doing. Why does AA have to roll over to this stupid union so quickly. It's not the entree and salad on one plate that I care about AT ALL, it's the principle of it.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by LovePrunes
It's not the entree and salad on one plate that I care about AT ALL, it's the principle of it.
Ah, in my very humble opinion, this is one of those situations where the market will resolve it and find some kind of equilibrium.

This strikes me as one of those times when everyone is doing his/her job advocating for precisely what they ought to be. Unions collect fees & dues, and I should hope they'll very aggressively advocate for more pay and less work, otherwise, why are their members paying them fees? If I'm a union member and all they did was sat on their a** sending me newsletters, I'd demand a refund or sue to get out of it. Likewise, AA's C suite is doing what they think, at least I hope, is in the best in interest of their shareholders and trying to balance their relationships with their employees. Finally, we as consumers are responding exactly the way we should--we don't have to accept it, and it's certainly not controversial to point out that unions are not consumer friendly (in what world is this even "union" bashing?).

So, as a consumer and thankfully...er...not an AAL shareholder, I'm ringing that FA call button whenever I need a drink. They do what they do, and I'll do what I do. Game on.
ijgordon and ceebee100 like this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 9:48 am
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
If there's one thing I've noticed that has come from this whole COVID situation is that people in general are unhappy with work. They are angry that they aren't being paid enough, angry that they have to do certain duties and unhappy that they have to deal with rude customers. In general people are unhappy that some people don't seem to have to work very hard for their money while others are busting their butts to try and make ends meet.

I believe that there is a small percentage of people who are so concerned about COVID that they don't want to be serving passengers drinks and food. In my opinion if that's the case I'd say you don't need to be a flight attendant because the risk of getting sick is so much higher.
For the most part, they are just using COVID as an excuse. We've seen this in just about every single industry.

I wish airlines could set minimum standards that their FAs must meet in regards to service. If they don't want to or refuse to, they get fired. There are plenty of other people willing to do the job and let's be honest it doesn't require a ton of skill.
SkyTeam777 and LovePrunes like this.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 8:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by Visconti
So, as a consumer and thankfully...er...not an AAL shareholder, I'm ringing that FA call button whenever I need a drink. They do what they do, and I'll do what I do. Game on.
I second it! I’ll just add as a former union employee and regional Steward. AFPA leadership may be communicating the changes they want, but they are not driving it. This is 100% the AA FA group telling their union leadership what they want and instructing their leadership to take these demands to the spineless AA management. The quote above is the perfect traveling public’s response. While the AA FA’s have the galley to hide in…we have a call button.
MeVoy, enviroian and Visconti like this.

Last edited by Tack; Jan 29, 2022 at 9:41 am
Old Jan 29, 2022, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Tack
I second it! I’ll just add as a former union employee and regional Steward. AFPA leadership may be communicating the changes they want, but they are not driving it. This is 100% the AA FA group telling their union leadership what they want and instructing their leadership to take these demands to the spineless AA management. The quote above is the perfect traveling public’s response. While the AA FA’s have the galley to hide in…we have a call button.
Agreed. Upon ringing the call button, I can envision, "Mr. V, what's the emergency?" My reply, "I'm parched."
corky, AAway and Tack like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.