Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Bookaahotels vs RocketMiles - useability, experiences, questions, data points

Bookaahotels vs RocketMiles - useability, experiences, questions, data points

Old Jan 24, 23, 5:46 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by Gaucho100K View Post
If I understand correctly, various users on this Thread seem to have confirmed that it is possible to book a room that will be used by someone else and still have the person that makes & pays for the stay earn the corresponding AA miles and LPs.

I am about to do this using BookAAhotels but am looking at a legend that appears right under point 3. American Airlines AAdvantage where you are supposed to input the AAdvantage Account Number where mileage will be posted - there it specifically says "Guest Information must match the name associated with your AA account"......

So here goes the question... if you are booking for someone else and therefore will NOT BE THE GUEST, what name do you input in the 1. Guest Information section...? I dont see how I can be accurate with the Guest Name if I am required to have that information match the AAdvantage Account where I want the miles to be credited.

Should I specify the name of the "real" Guest in the special request section...? I doubt the hotel even reads this information. Or perhaps I should call the hotel after the booking is completed and have them make a special note on the reservation,,? The only other option I can think of is to just put the real name in the Guest Information section and disregard the "requirement" specific to the non-matching AAdvantage account number.

Hoping that others that have done this can share their experiences and suggest what is the best way to proceed..

Thanks !!
Alex / Gaucho100K
you may want to use rocket miles. You can certainly do that on rm
Old Jan 24, 23, 6:21 pm

If I understand correctly, various users on this Thread seem to have confirmed that it is possible to book a room that will be used by someone else and still have the person that makes & pays for the stay earn the corresponding AA miles and LPs.

I am about to do this using BookAAhotels but am looking at a legend that appears right under point 3.
I have only seen reports in this thread of people doing this successfully on RocketMiles, not BAAH.
Old Jan 24, 23, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Diamond
If booking a non refundable room on BAAH, I understand that you don't need to show up and after the checkout, miles will be posted to your account. But if there is a resort fee that is to be collected upon checkin at the hotel, if you never show up, does that not get collected?
Old Jan 24, 23, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, SW A-List Preferred, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Diamond

I am about to do this using BookAAhotels but am looking at a legend that appears right under point 3. American Airlines AAdvantage where you are supposed to input the AAdvantage Account Number where mileage will be posted - there it specifically says "Guest Information must match the name associated with your AA account"......

So here goes the question... if you are booking for someone else and therefore will NOT BE THE GUEST, what name do you input in the 1. Guest Information section...? I dont see how I can be accurate with the Guest Name if I am required to have that information match the AAdvantage Account where I want the miles to be credited.

Should I specify the name of the "real" Guest in the special request section...? I doubt the hotel even reads this information. Or perhaps I should call the hotel after the booking is completed and have them make a special note on the reservation,,? The only other option I can think of is to just put the real name in the Guest Information section and disregard the "requirement" specific to the non-matching AAdvantage account number.

Hoping that others that have done this can share their experiences and suggest what is the best way to proceed..

Thanks !!
Alex / Gaucho100K
Deleted....

Last edited by WannaTheater; Jan 25, 23 at 11:48 am
Old Jan 24, 23, 10:32 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Thanks to all for your feedback, I wasnt trying to game the system, just thought I had read somewhere here that it was OK to book rooms for someone else and get credit for points on a different account. I guess I was mistaken.
Old Jan 24, 23, 10:34 pm

Great data points - thanks for sharing !!

Originally Posted by Cooper21 View Post
Agree. And with taxes/fees, it is hard to keep in under 3 cents a mile. In my experience, in order to keep the total cost low, you should search and book 1-night stays. The lowest cents/mile in US are mostly at the weekday bookings in LAS. Bali has lots of bookings that are close to 2.5 cents. I've don't think that I've seen 10k for under $400 a night, but I see lots of 1000 LP for $25/night in LAS and 2000 LP for $44/night in Bali.
Old Jan 24, 23, 10:37 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, WN A-List/CP, AA Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Glob, National ECE, Hertz PC
RocketMiles explicitly states the miles can be credited to someone other than the guest. BookAAHotels explicitly states the miles must be credited to the guest.

The offers do seem to vary between the two (despite the fact they are both owned by Booking.com), but if you want the guest to be someone else seems like you should just stick with RocketMiles where you're not running afoul of the rules.
Gaucho100K likes this.
Old Jan 24, 23, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles View Post
RocketMiles explicitly states the miles can be credited to someone other than the guest. BookAAHotels explicitly states the miles must be credited to the guest.

The offers do seem to vary between the two (despite the fact they are both owned by Booking.com), but if you want the guest to be someone else seems like you should just stick with RocketMiles where you're not running afoul of the rules.
Yes thank you -- I will be using RocketMiles for this booking as I have no interest in gaming the system. Appreciate you for confirming this.
Old Jan 24, 23, 11:19 pm

Post $250 Cleaning Fee on top of $144 Resort Fee ???!!! - RocketMiles Booking

I am trying to use RocketMiles to book a 3 night stay at the Ritz Carlton Grande Lakes in Orlando. Found I rate I can live with, but aside from the (to be expected) "Resort Fee" of $144, the site is also adding a "Cleaning Fee" of $250 (!!!) which is also supposed to be charged at destination. Ive never come across anything like this before... is this usual for RM or is this something specific for this property...?

For the record, I found a better rate and better AA miles offer on BookAAhotels but because Im booking this for someone else, I cannot use BAA as I want to credit the AA miles & LP to my account.

Thanks.
Old Jan 25, 23, 6:20 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, SW A-List Preferred, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Diamond
RocketMiles explicitly states the miles can be credited to someone other than the guest.
I can not find this in the RM terms and conditions, or on the checkout page.
Can you point me to it? If so, I will rethink my prior comments/position.
Old Jan 25, 23, 6:51 am

I am trying to use RocketMiles to book a 3 night stay at the Ritz Carlton Grande Lakes in Orlando. Found I rate I can live with, but aside from the (to be expected) "Resort Fee" of $144, the site is also adding a "Cleaning Fee" of $250 (!!!) which is also supposed to be charged at destination. Ive never come across anything like this before... is this usual for RM or is this something specific for this property...?

For the record, I found a better rate and better AA miles offer on BookAAhotels but because Im booking this for someone else, I cannot use BAA as I want to credit the AA miles & LP to my account.

Thanks.
I've seen that (a lot) for pets but not people. Call the hotel and ask if/why they have such a fee.
Old Jan 25, 23, 7:28 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, WN A-List/CP, AA Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Glob, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WannaTheater View Post
I can not find this in the RM terms and conditions, or on the checkout page.
This is from the RocketMiles FAQ:

In addition the checkout page has separate fields for who's buying the reservation and the guest name, so there is no problem there. For comparison BookAAHotels has this warning when booking a hotel:

Old Jan 25, 23, 8:39 am

In addition the checkout page has separate fields for who's buying the reservation and the guest name, so there is no problem there. For comparison BookAAHotels has this warning when booking a hotel:

I stand corrected! Hadn't seen the published FAQ, which makes it pretty clear. Thank you for this.
Old Jan 25, 23, 11:34 am

Thanks.... so then RM would be OK to do this when booking for someone else. Not sure I fully understand where I will input the staying guests name & other relevant details... I guess I will try to make a booking and try to figure it out....

Old Jan 25, 23, 11:37 am

Just to make sure I understood..... looking over at the RM booking engine, I conclude that if you book and prepay for a stay that someone else will be using, on the RM site you will fill in the Guest Information for the actual person that will be staying and then just leave the AA Account number blank, because RM already has a separate "tab" or section where you have informed them which loyalty program you have associated and which account the miles (and LPs) need to go to.......

Am I thinking straight.....?

Search this Thread