Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2022, 8:15 am

Not a newbie but still have a newbie-ish question. Where can I go to check on the number of elite qualifying segments I have for the year so far? I can't find anything on the aa.com website and I'm currently on hold with a very clueless AAdvantage customer service agent. This seems like something AA.com would want customers to know, right? What am I missing here?
Old Nov 21, 2022, 8:43 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by AADFW
Not a newbie but still have a newbie-ish question. Where can I go to check on the number of elite qualifying segments I have for the year so far? I can't find anything on the aa.com website and I'm currently on hold with a very clueless AAdvantage customer service agent. This seems like something AA.com would want customers to know, right? What am I missing here?
If I remember correctly, login to you AAdvantage account, click your name ("Go to your account"), click "Promotions," and under the "Loyalty Choice" promotion it will show your progress (LPs and segments)

Once you have 30, I cannot find it either.... but above 30 it seems to be irrelevant.
AADFW likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 9:28 am

Smile

Originally Posted by WannaTheater
If I remember correctly, login to you AAdvantage account, click your name ("Go to your account"), click "Promotions," and under the "Loyalty Choice" promotion it will show your progress (LPs and segments)

Once you have 30, I cannot find it either.... but above 30 it seems to be irrelevant.
Extremely helpful, thank you very much. I would never have thought to click promotions to get this info but there it is!
SPN Lifer and WannaTheater like this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 5:55 pm

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
I booked and issued a HKG-LHR and LHR-CDG as an award travel. I'm originally departing ICN but at the time I saw the HKG-LHR flight open, there was no ICN-HKG.
Had it been available, it would have cost the same to do ICN-HKG-LHR-CDG than my booking.
I was wondering if I can call AA and ask them to add that segment to the booking?
Or would they need to cancel my booking and pray for it to reappear and then book everything correctly again?
Old Nov 21, 2022, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by tuchop
I booked and issued a HKG-LHR and LHR-CDG as an award travel. I'm originally departing ICN but at the time I saw the HKG-LHR flight open, there was no ICN-HKG.
Had it been available, it would have cost the same to do ICN-HKG-LHR-CDG than my booking.
I was wondering if I can call AA and ask them to add that segment to the booking?
Or would they need to cancel my booking and pray for it to reappear and then book everything correctly again?
Generally speaking yes, you can add a segment to an existing booking like that. However many agents erroneously claim you that they need award availability on all the segments before they can make a change, so you often have to HUCA a few times.

That said, your case isn't quite cut and dry as changing your departure point from HKG to ICN would change your award type from Asia 2-Europe to Asia 1-Europe. I'm not 100% sure if changing award types would require AA to rebook the whole thing, or if they can just add the ICN-HKG segment and re-issue it as an Asia 1-Europe award.

In any event if the ICN-HKG segment is now available then I would at least give AA a call and try to add it, if the first agent can't do it definitely HUCA a few times.
tuchop likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Hello,
I am AA plat (not pro), I thought BE fares still allowed CPU. Am I wrong? Was able to select MCE seats during booking a BE domestic RT fare. After booking each leg says "Upgrade not available". My error or IT error? Still have 23 hours to cancel.

Thanks!
Old Nov 22, 2022, 12:49 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Dumb question and reasonable question:

Dumb - Executive Platinum can get upgrades on award bookings, but that's just within the US, right? I have 216k miles, will probably never be EXP again come March 1st, 2023, and am planning a flight to Australia. Paying $2500 versus 75k miles... probably will pay the $2500 if I can get my SWU applied, plus I need it for earning towards PPro... but if I can get an award upgraded... hmm

Reasonable - How can I tell what the outbound and return flights will be costed out as for LP earning? I am likely to fly soon and return in early March but if I can find a way to return February 27 or 28... It'll mean less BS I have to do to hit 125k LP.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Generally speaking yes, you can add a segment to an existing booking like that. However many agents erroneously claim you that they need award availability on all the segments before they can make a change, so you often have to HUCA a few times.

That said, your case isn't quite cut and dry as changing your departure point from HKG to ICN would change your award type from Asia 2-Europe to Asia 1-Europe. I'm not 100% sure if changing award types would require AA to rebook the whole thing, or if they can just add the ICN-HKG segment and re-issue it as an Asia 1-Europe award.

In any event if the ICN-HKG segment is now available then I would at least give AA a call and try to add it, if the first agent can't do it definitely HUCA a few times.
Thanks for that! I just called, first agent didn't know about it but I explained what you said. She put me on the line for a few minutes and re-ticketed the booking with the new segment. I had to pay a tax difference and now the booking is "pending".
I hope nothing goes wrong, but we'll know in the next few hours.

Edit: It worked. Ticket is now issued.
JJeffrey, SPN Lifer and ZenFlyer like this.

Last edited by tuchop; Nov 22, 2022 at 8:30 am
Old Nov 22, 2022, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Bradhattan
Hello,
I am AA plat (not pro), I thought BE fares still allowed CPU. Am I wrong? Was able to select MCE seats during booking a BE domestic RT fare. After booking each leg says "Upgrade not available". My error or IT error? Still have 23 hours to cancel.

Thanks!
Must have been a glitch or perhaps delay in ticketing. I was about to cancel the trip a few minutes ago, when I noticed that it indicated upgrades requested. All is good...this is my first BE ticket.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Dumb question and reasonable question:

Dumb - Executive Platinum can get upgrades on award bookings, but that's just within the US, right? I have 216k miles, will probably never be EXP again come March 1st, 2023, and am planning a flight to Australia. Paying $2500 versus 75k miles... probably will pay the $2500 if I can get my SWU applied, plus I need it for earning towards PPro... but if I can get an award upgraded... hmm

Reasonable - How can I tell what the outbound and return flights will be costed out as for LP earning? I am likely to fly soon and return in early March but if I can find a way to return February 27 or 28... It'll mean less BS I have to do to hit 125k LP.
I will defer to those with greater experience to answer your first question regarding upgrades.

As to the second, you can try this calculator: https://lpcalculator.com/#/landing It's not an official AA calculator but a tool that someone developed privately, and I've seen it recommended a number of places.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 1:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tuchop
Use Skype on your phone... It's free. You might need to have a dollar or two in your account but the call will be 100% free of charge.
Also, even if you don't call an 800 number, skype rates are insanely cheap (normally 0,01 or 0,02 per minute).
Can I use this method in another country or jus in USA?
Thanks.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 5:48 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Question about AA award tickets. I’ve flown on multiple (16-18) award tickets over the past 20 months (post COVID) since AA eliminated award redeposit fees. Usually Web Special, domestic economy or international biz, usually booked as 2 one ways vice 1 roundtrip. The 2 one ways I’ve flown have been priced identically to 1 roundtrip and 2 one ways allow excellent flexibility for changes (cancel, rebook), including changes after flying outbound. AA states that Web Special awards cannot be changed.

Just booked a JFK-LHR Web Special award roundtrip for next week and uncertain of options for changing (or cancelling and rebooking) the return flight once I’m in London. Are there any options for changing the return flight of a roundtrip Web Special award (in this case) during my time in London? Can the return flight be cancelled with miles redeposited and taxes/fees credited? Can return flight be changed by same-day-change process or by flying standby on an earlier or later flight? Thank you.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by john2021
Can I use this method in another country or jus in USA?
Thanks.
You can start the call from any country in the world, it's all via internet.
AA's USA number is free (+1 800), I don't know about other countries.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Business seats are available however AA just hasn't made any upgrade space available yet; For a route like LHR-DFW, unless the flight is just unusually wide open in business, you're not likely to see upgrade space open up until around 24-36 hours before the flight.
Update: Our upgrades from PE to Flagship biz cleared about 12 hours before our flight (AA 21) departed from LHR to DFW. Of course, this was welcome news and this development also allowed yours truly to take my wife on her very first lounge tour in T3 at Heathrow (CX, QF, AA & BA). BTW, I was also informed by AA just several days before our flight that I had advanced to Platinum status (a first for me with the airline) so I believe this was helpful as well concerning our upgrades as the biz class cabin was completely full on our flight.
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
... any options for changing the return flight of a roundtrip Web Special award ... ? Thank you.
According to the AA phone agent I just spoke with, after flying the outbound flight(s), the return flight(s) of a Web Special award roundtrip itinerary cannot be changed (as specified when the ticket is purchased) but can be cancelled with redeposit of the appropriate miles and crediting of the appropriate taxes/fees.
JJeffrey likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.