FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread
Old Nov 22, 2022, 8:14 am
tuchop

Programs: A bit of this and a bit of that
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Generally speaking yes, you can add a segment to an existing booking like that. However many agents erroneously claim you that they need award availability on all the segments before they can make a change, so you often have to HUCA a few times.

That said, your case isn't quite cut and dry as changing your departure point from HKG to ICN would change your award type from Asia 2-Europe to Asia 1-Europe. I'm not 100% sure if changing award types would require AA to rebook the whole thing, or if they can just add the ICN-HKG segment and re-issue it as an Asia 1-Europe award.

In any event if the ICN-HKG segment is now available then I would at least give AA a call and try to add it, if the first agent can't do it definitely HUCA a few times.
Thanks for that! I just called, first agent didn't know about it but I explained what you said. She put me on the line for a few minutes and re-ticketed the booking with the new segment. I had to pay a tax difference and now the booking is "pending".
I hope nothing goes wrong, but we'll know in the next few hours.

Edit: It worked. Ticket is now issued.

Last edited by tuchop; Nov 22, 2022 at 8:30 am