Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2022, 4:00 pm

Programs: Covid Diamond , WNRewards, Motel Rewards, etc.
Admirals Club Day Pass w/spouse

The language on the Admiral Club terms on the website was vague.

No status, award travel through PHX.
If I purchase a day pass, is one pass sufficient for my spouse and I? One part of the terms mentions minor children only, the other mentions "families"
Next question, if I buy the pass today will it still be valid for March?

Thank you.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by The Glue
The language on the Admiral Club terms on the website was vague.

No status, award travel through PHX.
If I purchase a day pass, is one pass sufficient for my spouse and I? One part of the terms mentions minor children only, the other mentions "families"
Next question, if I buy the pass today will it still be valid for March?

Thank you.
Day passes are valid for only one adult and up to 3 children per pass. So assuming your spouse is over 18 you'd need to purchase 2 passes. And once purchased online they're valid for 12 months. For a flight that's not till March I don't see any reason to purchase passes now.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
AFAIK BE tickets are use it or lose it, no changes allowed and if you cancel you don't receive any credit.

For anyone with status the "no changes" restriction is really the only drawback between BE and regular economy.

Otherwise, if you could cancel a BE ticket for a credit, then there wouldn't be any difference.
Yeah, what I figured. So I guess I can't upfare a BE ticket to Y or F/J either? Just making sure.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 11:49 am

Is there any way to get a free checked bag on Caribbean, Mexico, and South America routes? It seems all of the credit cards only cover a free bag for domestic. What about through status?
Old Oct 28, 2022, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by poisson
Is there any way to get a free checked bag on Caribbean, Mexico, and South America routes? It seems all of the credit cards only cover a free bag for domestic. What about through status?
Yes: even oneworld Ruby status (AAdvantage Gold) gets you a free checked bag on AA, worldwide:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp

(Scroll down to "Complimentary bags.")
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
With status: "Free checked bags apply, based on the member’s status, for members and guests traveling on the same reservation (excluding group reservations) on itineraries marketed and operated by American Airlines. If the standard cabin allowance is higher than the number of free checked bags for your status, then the standard cabin allowance applies. Free checked bags may not apply to codeshare flights operated by our partners. Visit the website of the airline operating your flight for details." Gold gets one bag for example.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 8:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage; Hilton Honors
Admirals Club

Originally Posted by JDiver

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022:
Ask AA newbie questions here -
N.B. flame-free thread

Other than the AAdvantage Credit Card. Is there any other way to have access to the Admirals Club?
Old Oct 28, 2022, 9:05 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by getdev
Other than the AAdvantage Credit Card. Is there any other way to have access to the Admirals Club?
You can buy an annual membership (which costs more than the annual fee of the Citi AAdvantage Executive MasterCard), buy a day pass (which is not offered at all clubs), fly in First or Business class on qualifying international or transcon flights or be an elite AAdvantage member flying on qualifying international flights, including flights between the U.S. and Canada, the Caribbean and Mexico.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 11:06 pm

What's the point in having different "lanes" for boarding groups 1-4 and 5-9? They never board these groups at the same time and by the time 5-9 is boarding, they are using both lanes anyways. Is it just to make 1-4 groups feel "important" by having their own lane?
Old Oct 29, 2022, 6:00 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Gold
Flying from DCA to LAX on AS in first on an award ticket in December.
Since there is not a dedicated AS lounge, would I be able to use the AA lounge in DCA? What about gaining access to the lounge with an AA day pass?
Old Oct 29, 2022, 7:13 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
What's the point in having different "lanes" for boarding groups 1-4 and 5-9? They never board these groups at the same time and by the time 5-9 is boarding, they are using both lanes anyways. Is it just to make 1-4 groups feel "important" by having their own lane?
​​​​​​It enables those in groups 1-4 to skip to the head of the line when groups 5-9 are boarding . I don't recall both lanes being used at the same time except to allow those in groups 1-4 to board without waiting in line once lower groups have started boarding.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Moflav
Flying from DCA to LAX on AS in first on an award ticket in December.
Since there is not a dedicated AS lounge, would I be able to use the AA lounge in DCA? What about gaining access to the lounge with an AA day pass?
No access to the Admirals Club based on your AS flight alone but you should be able to buy a day pass and access the AC that way, should you wish.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 9:50 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Gold
!

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
No access to the Admirals Club based on your AS flight alone but you should be able to buy a day pass and access the AC that way, should you wish.
Much appreciated for the info JJeffrey!
Old Oct 29, 2022, 1:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Plat
Odd circumstance. I'm plat. Booked a basic economy domestic flight for 10/30. Got put on the upgrade list it appeared when booked. Thought it was a glitch. Then at T-48, one of the legs cleared. Is basic economy upgradable now? I know that it now earns a limited % of miles, but didn't think they were upgrade eligible. Anyone else with experience?
Old Oct 30, 2022, 8:17 am
HGH

We're making a quick trip to a small town with a 3 times a day shuttle from Dallas. Incoming, we have a 59 minute connection to catch that shuttle. I am willing to bet we make it with time to spare, but you never truly know.

The next shuttle that day is 7 hours later, and already pretty full. We should make the original shuttle flight unless there is an issue that AA should be aware of, like a late arrival. My plans B and C start with renting a car and driving the last 200 hundred miles. I've only misconnected one time and as easy as that was to sort out, it was still more hassle than I like to figure out the solution on the fly. Questions:

- How will AA handle the rest of our ticket without intervention? The same flight the next day is wide open, so that is a likely scenario if the later flights are truly filled.
- How quickly do I need to call in, can I wait until they put us on a new flight?
- Plan B - keep rental car for full trip, drive back to DFW for final flight home - would need a later DFW-CLT flight than I currently have though
- Plan C - return rental car in small town and keep both legs of original flight home; would be more expensive for rental, but would be willing to pay to avoid the drive

We really don't want to spend 7 hours or more in DFW when we are so close to the final destination. Any thoughts or advice? My main focus is to quickly solve the initial travel without wrecking the homeward travel. TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.