Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Any potential they extend status again in '21?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any potential they extend status again in '21?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2021, 11:43 am

Programs: AA Explat / UA Silver
Originally Posted by bchandler02
Got the same offer as a platinum - $15k spend between 7/15 and 11/15 or $2000 EQD earning between 9/1 and 12/31.
Of course they'd offer this AFTER I already paid for the remaining trips this year and made some bigger purchases, otherwise 15k would have been easy enough.
Based on the terms and conditions, I think you're ok if you've paid for trips but are flying them in 9/1-12/31: "Offer applies to eligible purchased, published fares flown between September 1, 2021, and December 31, 2021. Flights flown before September 1, 2021, arent eligible"

I, too, was surprised it doesn't seem to exclude flights purchased prior to announcement with travel in the applicable period.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 11:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bchandler02
I've been looking at status matching over to UA since AA has become so unreliable.
https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...os/TB9234.html
I'd encourage you to spend a good bit of time on the UA forum before doing so...

Regards
SJOGuy, Zacnlinc, outgoing and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 11:52 am

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist (marriage perk)
I could actually use match to Delta potentially b/c of the SEA-ATL route but they don't allow status match if you had your status extended in 2020 which I (and probably most people) did
Old Jun 29, 2021, 3:37 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
One of the few benefits of living in a HCOL MSA is that rent will knock this 15k out easily enough.

Would have been touch & go, likely having to do some MRs to retain PLT otherwise.

I don't necessarily have issue with then offering this out to status holders, as they'd have had to have had it prior to 2020 & have had to do BIS/challenge to get to where they are anyway.

I do think this is absolute bull if it applies to promo status folks.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by scubadu
I'd encourage you to spend a good bit of time on the UA forum before doing so...

"Customers who have Star Alliance Silver or Gold status are excluded from this offer."
Regards
So basically screw you off you were unlucky enough to get Silver through Marriott or if you're one of the fewer people flying enough to earn lower-tier elite status with UA...
Old Jun 30, 2021, 3:36 am

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
Huh. I just got the email too. Seems like anyone who cares at all will requalify easily. I already have one trip booked in F in November that will meet the threshold on its own.
If you live in the US, not if you live in Europe. We dont have the credit card option any more, and flying anywhere from the UK at the moment is pretty hard, especially $2000 worth of flights. I havent flown since January 2020 and am unlikely to be able to fly this year.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 4:16 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Donsyb
If you live in the US, not if you live in Europe. We dont have the credit card option any more, and flying anywhere from the UK at the moment is pretty hard, especially $2000 worth of flights. I havent flown since January 2020 and am unlikely to be able to fly this year.
Agreed. I appreciate AA's generosity, for sure, but the credit card is not an option for, presumably, a lot of people.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by danger
Agreed. I appreciate AA's generosity, for sure, but the credit card is not an option for, presumably, a lot of people.
even for people who have the card $15k in 4 months is a bit much
355F1 likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 7:01 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by Donsyb
Fair enough. Though I have to imagine those ex-US make up a distinct minority of AA elites. I would think most based in Europe would go for status on a European carrier.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 7:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by scubadu
Where's the substance to this?

UA is operationally a superior airline to AA. It's also got much better IT, so you don't have to call for everything as you do with AA. Additionally, it's been investing in the passenger experience (certainly more than AA), as it has belatedly realized that the Spirit model doesn't work for a network-based carrier.

It is certainly not perfect, the onboard service often sucks (though not as bad as AA), the UCs are generally poor, and MP has been horribly devalued. But for getting from A to B with minimum hassle, it is the clear winner of the three legacies right now.
Originally Posted by nk15
even for people who have the card $15k in 4 months is a bit much
I wish this were my experience.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 7:35 am

Programs: US Gold
Originally Posted by dvs7310
I don't see myself being able to travel internationally before sometime in Q3 at best. Though my situation is unique in that I'm based in Japan, borders are closed and travel intentionally made difficult by the govt... still for the majority of members in the US, there aren't a lot of long haul international destinations open to you yet either for non-essential travelers. There very little cost to AA to extend again, especially if without SWUs, but a ton of goodwill to stick with Aadvantage when we can fly somewhat normally again.I can see lots of people doing status matches all around if none of the 3 do anything. I'm perfectly happy to get back on long haul planes again as soon as it's possible without crippling restrictions on the return. Until then I'm stuck with only domestic flights, which here aren't very far, even to Okinawa.
I'm in the same situation, albeit in London. We *can* travel internationally if needs must, but they require multiple tests before departure and on return, plus either self-isolation or quarantine on return, so...

wg
Parkdesigner likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 7:48 am

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
Fair enough. Though I have to imagine those ex-US make up a distinct minority of AA elites. I would think most based in Europe would go for status on a European carrier.
Ive no idea of the proportion but there will be a significant number I should think who did lots of business travel to the USA. Dont forget they are part of oneworld, so if UK based you can use BA and profit from AA status - and in the past my OH who is EP has had a lot of good upgrades on BA as an AA EP.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 8:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Where's the substance to this?
I'm more than comfortable with the recommendation I made to that poster. They can consider that advice or ignore it.

Regards
Old Jul 11, 2021, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Marriott Platinum
I already have an offer to retain my exp (which I’ve had for 20 consecutive years) for 15k credit card spend in the next 6 months. I fully intend availing of this offer.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 9:49 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum / HHonors Diamond / Hyatt Globalist / AA EX Platinum
Originally Posted by lutzboy
I already have an offer to retain my exp (which Ive had for 20 consecutive years) for 15k credit card spend in the next 6 months. I fully intend availing of this offer.
Probably 4 months

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.