Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2021: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2021, 1:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Welcome to the archived 2021 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

FOR THE 2022 THREAD, SEE HERE: link

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.
Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Important links:

Link to American Airlines Conditions of Carriage

Link to AAdvantage Terms and Conditions

NOTE: See below for links to the archived older threads.

Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:
Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2020 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.

2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!

Print Wikipost

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2021: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2021, 11:26 am

Would like to fly international business with my 8 year-old son, but he needs to be able to see me. Which planes have the best seats for couples trying to talk to each other? Or give up and fly PE? Thanks for your advice!
Old Jan 15, 2021, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by MsEllie
Would like to fly international business with my 8 year-old son, but he needs to be able to see me. Which planes have the best seats for couples trying to talk to each other? Or give up and fly PE? Thanks for your advice!
As this is an AA thread, I would assume you are asking which AA aircraft.

Long haul business, none would give your son easy line of sight; However, in the middle two seats, he could lean way forward look to see you. PE - window and isle - might be your best bet; Decent room and he will be right next to you.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 6:28 am

Programs: BA silver, Flying Blue gold, Marriott titanium
Currency of flight credit

Hoping someone has some thoughts/ideas on the following: I'm based in London. In October I booked two business class tickets AMS - North America for December in EUR (we have family in NL and were going to see them first and then fly on). Flights were cancelled; re-booked on other flights (different dates) and paid additional fare in GBP, but then was unable to get to Amsterdam to take flights due to restrictions in place before Christmas and all UK-NL flights banned. Flights from AMS went ahead and thus I cancelled and took what I understand is a flight credit. I rang AA to find out the value of the credit, given it is mixed in EUR and GBP, and was given a value around GBP 1500 each.

Yesterday I rang again to book a new ticket for February, LHR - USA. After much waiting, I was told that the flight credit could not be used as the base fare was in EUR and this cannot be converted to GBP to pay for the new ticket which departs LHR and is in GBP. I questioned this, as from everything I have read on AA.com, there is no mention that the credit must be used for originating in the same currency area as the original ticket. I was told it was in the conditions of carriage, however, I would have thought the book with confidence rules would override and there is no mention of this restriction that I can find.

I can't get to the EUR zone area now, as UK now a third country and we are not admitted to NL or elsewhere in EU. In any case, similar itineraries are multiple times more expensive. I was told to contact customer relations and ask to convert the flight credit to a voucher, and I have sent an email, but this appears to be more of a place to go with complaints on service, and all I want to do is be able to use these credits now to fly out of the UK. I have no idea when I will be able to enter the EU and this restriction on the voucher may make it unusable.

Any other ideas? Should I try to ring back? As it has to go to another desk for pricing, I am afraid I will get the same answer.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by flydrive
Hoping someone has some thoughts/ideas on the following: I'm based in London. In October I booked two business class tickets AMS - North America for December in EUR (we have family in NL and were going to see them first and then fly on). Flights were cancelled; re-booked on other flights (different dates) and paid additional fare in GBP, but then was unable to get to Amsterdam to take flights due to restrictions in place before Christmas and all UK-NL flights banned. Flights from AMS went ahead and thus I cancelled and took what I understand is a flight credit. I rang AA to find out the value of the credit, given it is mixed in EUR and GBP, and was given a value around GBP 1500 each.

Yesterday I rang again to book a new ticket for February, LHR - USA. After much waiting, I was told that the flight credit could not be used as the base fare was in EUR and this cannot be converted to GBP to pay for the new ticket which departs LHR and is in GBP. I questioned this, as from everything I have read on AA.com, there is no mention that the credit must be used for originating in the same currency area as the original ticket. I was told it was in the conditions of carriage, however, I would have thought the book with confidence rules would override and there is no mention of this restriction that I can find.
Unfortunately what you're being told is correct, if your original ticket was ex-AMS you cannot change this (or use your travel credit) for a new ticket that is ex-UK.

My understanding has always been that the country of origin has to remain the same, although it makes sense that this is currency related as well.

I ran into this a bunch with my tickets from Sweden to the US, living in southern Sweden I typically would depart ex-CPH, however a few instances arose when I needed to change to depart ex-ARN, no can do as the country of origin is different.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 7:29 am

Thanks for your response, although what I've been told it is the currency, not the country, which needs to be the same, so I could depart from any eurozone city (this would make sense in your example of Sweden vs Denmark as well). Another thought was calling the Dutch number and pricing the ticket in EUR, which I can do online, even departing from the UK. But if it is the geographic restriction, and not simply currency, then this won't work either. I do think if this is the case it should be a bit more prominent in the "book with confidence" section.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by flydrive
...I rang AA to find out the value of the credit, given it is mixed in EUR and GBP, and was given a value around GBP 1500 each.
....I was told that the flight credit could not be used as the base fare was in EUR and this cannot be converted to GBP to pay for the new ticket which departs LHR and is in GBP.
...I can't get to the EUR zone area now, as UK now a third country and we are not admitted to NL or elsewhere in EU. I....all I want to do is be able to use these credits now to fly out of the UK. I have no idea when I will be able to enter the EU and this restriction on the voucher may make it unusable.

Any other ideas? Should I try to ring back? As it has to go to another desk for pricing, I am afraid I will get the same answer.
While I think you should be able to get this converted to a voucher or worked out another way, you cannot transit the EU and stay in the sterile area?
Ticket #1 - New ticket, in GBP or whatever.
Ticket #2 - Existing ticket, in Euro's
return
Old Jan 16, 2021, 7:54 am

Thanks. Just two issues with flying LHR-AMS-US on two tickets: BA won't check luggage from LHR through on separate tickets, which means going through passport control and picking up and re-checking luggage; and more importantly the fare is three times more from AMS.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Aa “service” desk not staffed...

walked by 2 for past 2 hours and no one shows up.... ok to bother gate agent ?
Old Jan 18, 2021, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Stocktc1
Aa “service” desk not staffed...

walked by 2 for past 2 hours and no one shows up.... ok to bother gate agent ?
Prior to the start of boarding the flight, they are working and they do not seem busy, no problem.
After boarding is complete, no problem.
During boarding, they are too busy, and best to let them get the flight out and ask after or go to a different gate.
(If they get huffy, simply tell them there is no one at the service desk.)

Also, if possible for your issue, you can call the 800 number while at the airport.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 10:36 am
Original Poster

2 agents told me you can't standby when you check in luggage. But I standby once with checked luggage when I did it on the AA app before checking the luggage? So next time just do standby on the app before checking luggage?
Old Jan 19, 2021, 12:45 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
AA asking for volunteers at OLCI but still selling PHL-MCO for $67

Parents are traveling on AA 1617 the 1210pm PHL-MCO flight tommorow (1/19) and this seems pretty counter intuitive to me, if your already asking for volunteers then shouldn't the flight be pretty full? If it is why are you charging $67 for it? Is there alot of cancelations AFTER check-in? If I was traveling tommmorow, I would have already canceled my trip. Maybe I would have waited until a couple of days before my trip, but check in for it?

Perhaps this is what is going on during COVID now. Are we going to see alot of this, lots of alerts about volunteering and only getting bumped extremely rarely?
Old Jan 19, 2021, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Jerseyguy
Parents are traveling on AA 1617 the 1210pm PHL-MCO flight tommorow (1/19) and this seems pretty counter intuitive to me, if your already asking for volunteers then shouldn't the flight be pretty full? If it is why are you charging $67 for it? Is there alot of cancelations AFTER check-in? If I was traveling tommmorow, I would have already canceled my trip. Maybe I would have waited until a couple of days before my trip, but check in for it?

Perhaps this is what is going on during COVID now. Are we going to see alot of this, lots of alerts about volunteering and only getting bumped extremely rarely?
With AA's new bump system I'm guessing we're going to see lots of examples of this. Really just an advanced form of revenue management where they've got nothing to lose.

In most cases the system is just saying that the flight might need volunteers, and if so what $$ you'd be willing to volunteer for.

A simple example, but say AA knows it has 8 seats left to sell on the PHL-MCO flight. At OLCI the system automatically starts asking for potential volunteers anytime there's less than 10 seats left (or whatever # AA puts on any given flight). AA sells 14 last minute tickets at $67, 4 pax cancel, and they end up needing 2 volunteers at $150 each. AA comes out ahead.

Or, AA only sells 5 last minute tickets and they end up not needing any volunteers. AA comes out ahead still again.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 8:15 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Stocktc1
2 agents told me you can't standby when you check in luggage. But I standby once with checked luggage when I did it on the AA app before checking the luggage? So next time just do standby on the app before checking luggage?
The right answer here is ask your bags to go on the earlier flight(s), the agent should have no problem with that when you drop your luggage. I have done this a number of times. If I don't clear standby I have to go get my bag out of baggage jail instead of waiting at the carousel.

If you were trying to start a standby trip after you have checked bags, then they don't like to do that because your bags might get into the airport later than you will, which is annoying for everyone.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 1:26 pm

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
What is the current food/bev service on JFK-SFO/LAX flights in J?

Also wanted to confirm - transcon J on A321 will have lie flat seats, and access to AA club at JFK?
Old Jan 19, 2021, 8:36 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Best Domestic First Class?

Help! I have frequent flyer miles and points to use up in the next few weeks...100k AA. 104k AmEx Membership Reward and 102 Ultimate Chase. I do not want to travel int'l unless there is a quarantine free option.
Looking for sleeper seats and with privacy over amenities. Prefer longer routes---4+ hours. Are there any options better than AA Transcon (Flagship) or JetBlue Mint, for what I'm seeking? I really like options for a seat that is both a window and an aisle (ie 1L on AA 777).
i saw that DL had private suites in 777's, but is no longer flying it on pax routes.
Advice appreciated!!

Last edited by AAJetMan; Jan 20, 2021 at 7:51 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.