Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2023, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
Methods to bypass flight credit restrictions (primarily being unable to use them on Basic Economy tickets)

Inspired by United thread wiki: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...redit-ffc.html
Print Wikipost

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2023, 11:05 am

Programs: AA-EXP; UA-Silver; Bonvoy-Titanium
Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
I booked a one-way for my wife XXX-ORD for ~$162, then the app offered $119 more to upgrade her to F, which I accepted.

Unfortunately had to cancel the trip due to Covid. However the flight credit only shows for the original $162. Do I need to request a refund separately for the $119 F upgrade?
Did you ever figure this out? I'm considering doing an upgrade offer but want to know what happens when I cancel it. Particularly, if it's a refundable ticket versus not. Any experiences are appreciated.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 12:00 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by LuizMiranda
I'm considering doing an upgrade offer but want to know what happens when I cancel it. Particularly, if it's a refundable ticket versus not. Any experiences are appreciated.
I believe the T&Cs state you're only entitled to a Trip Credit for the upgrade fee if the reservation is modified. I had to submit a refund request online to get mine the last time I did this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; UA-Silver; Bonvoy-Titanium
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
I believe the T&Cs state you're only entitled to a Trip Credit for the upgrade fee if the reservation is modified. I had to submit a refund request online to get mine the last time I did this.
Thank you for the response. On that request, did you receive your refund or was a Trip Credit issued? If the latter, was your ticket a refundable ticket?

My experience -- and I have done this several times recently -- is that even a refundable ticket requires the submission of a refund request after voluntary cancellation. They become Trip Credit automatically, even thought the ticket is refundable, which is annoying. At least they are promptly processed (1-3 days) after a request is submitted using the web form. So, making the request is fine -- but I am very curious as to if the refund convers the separate upgrade purchase too.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 1:14 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
On that request, did you receive your refund or was a Trip Credit issued? If the latter, was your ticket a refundable ticket?
I've only done this on a nonrefundable ticket, and I had to submit a request for the upgrade fee. I did not attempt to get a cash refund, so no idea whether there is a loophole in practice, despite T&Cs saying Trip Credit only.

...I am very curious as to if the refund convers the separate upgrade purchase too.
Unless you are actually ticketed at a premium cabin fare, the upgrade fee will follow its own T&Cs (notwithstanding potential loophole noted above), as it is accounted for with a separate document from the ticket. You'd have to request a refund for your original ticket separately from the refund request for the upgrade fee.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Apr 7, 2023 at 1:14 pm Reason: gr
Old Apr 9, 2023, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by chiefs11
Well I guess my next question is, does it always say "refund to credit card" when doing this? This is my first time.
I have another one for my wife's ticket from the cancelled trip, but I'm waiting to see where this goes first.

This is in the trip confirmation email I got:
Your payment
Flight Credit (ending NNNN) $1,269.21
Total paid $74.90
Refund to Credit Card -$1,194.31

please update us on your wife’s ticket refund status. I have a flight credit of 2k and would like most of it refunded if possible. Thank you
Old Apr 9, 2023, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by chiefs11
Just to follow up with this.... the credit did in fact appear on my credit card about 6 days later.
Totally unexpected....would have done this last year if I knew it would just refund me.
I don't understand why it even went to a flight credit if they were going to just give me [most of] the money back anyway.

Cancelled the cheap dummy ticket last night and it went back to the original flight credit with the expiration in 2 weeks... so they're going to get to keep that $75... but whatever lol
Was your original ticket none refundable?
please update us on the status of your wife’s ticket refund. I’m in the similar boat with 2k in flight credit and no plans (I mostly fly southwest now based out of DFW). Thank you very much for the DP
Old Apr 10, 2023, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Widered
Was your original ticket none refundable?
please update us on the status of your wife’s ticket refund. I’m in the similar boat with 2k in flight credit and no plans (I mostly fly southwest now based out of DFW). Thank you very much for the DP
Her ticket also refunded to my credit card. The original tickets were 'non-refundable'. No clue why it happened this way but I'm not gonna complain! I would have been ok with them converting to trip credits as I'm sure we'd be able to use it by apr 2024, but obviously a refund is better...lol. I am fine with losing the $75 each on the dummy tickets I bought, basically like a cancellation fee.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 3:31 pm

1. If I have a trip credit expiring on June 11 and book a round trip ticket where one of the legs is after that date, what happens if I need to change the outgoing leg? Can I still change it, with the difference just being the difference in fare?

2. If I cancelled the whole itinerary beforehand, would the new trip credit expire on June 11 still?

I have been having a lot of trouble finding the answer to this, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, I have not been able to get the best answers out of call center representatives either.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Smile AA Flight Credit now automatically converts to Trip Credit

Cancelled a ticket today with 2 passengers on the PNR, so I could rebook at a lower fare. Normally you get a Flight Credit to apply to a future trip. This used to be somewhat complex with 2 passengers on the PNR - and many times you had to call.

BUT today - to my surprise - I got an email from AA after cancelling the ticket. What a pleasant surprise and a big IT improvement!!

The plus is you can easily apply up to 8 trip credits on a new ticket.
A table followed showing the Old Flight Credit numbers and the New Trip Credit.
Another plus with Trip Credit - it can even be applied to a ticket in another name.

Your Travel Credit
We’re making it easier to redeem your unused travel credit for when you’re ready to travel again.

Previously when your travel plans changed, we issued a Flight Credit for the value of your unused trip. Now, we’re converting your Flight Credit to a Trip Credit so you have more flexibility to pay for future travel. Here’s the benefits of your new Trip Credit:

Combine up to 8 Trip Credits to buy tickets
  • Redeem them on aa.com or by calling Reservations
Plus, as an AAdvantage® member, your travel credits are securely stored and can be easily accessed on aa.com or the American app.
Old Apr 12, 2023, 9:19 pm

AA suddenly converts my flight credit to trip credit

Today I got two emails from AA:

"We’re making it easier to redeem your unused travel credit for when you’re ready to travel again. Previously when your travel plans changed, we issued a Flight Credit for the value of your unused trip. Now, we’re converting your Flight Credit to a Trip Credit so you have more flexibility to pay for future travel. Here’s the benefits of your new Trip Credit:"

So far I've had this happen to 2 of my Flight Credits. Anybody else getting these or is it just me? Hoping they convert my last 2 as well!

Thanks
Old Apr 12, 2023, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Nice. I suspect that they have finally started properly rolled out what was planned years ago - a single, unified credit mechanism that doesn't cost revenue management staff to use for basic stuff
Old Apr 12, 2023, 9:48 pm

They started doing this a while back, I think because people trying to use multiple flight credits at once were straining call centers.

One tip: if you book a trip with a flight credit, any unused portion is reissued as a trip credit.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 9:11 pm

I certainly hope so. Delta has this down and United isn't that bad either.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 9:23 pm

They're apparently not doing this automatically for all tickets. Not sure the criteria they want, but I cancelled 2 tickets yesterday in hopes of getting Trip Credit. So far anyway, they both still flight credits. I do know the workaround to get trip credit out of them but was hoping to not have to do that. Will give it more time and see if they switch them for me.
TravelLawyer likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2023, 10:36 pm

Programs: SkyTeam Elite Plus lifetime
Originally Posted by drfonta
I certainly hope so. Delta has this down and United isn't that bad either.
For what it's worth, DL and UA is planning to keep most flight credits tied to the original passenger (even for multi-passenger PNRs), and AA is at least aiming to give everyone a flexible credit (eventually, when they figure out the full transition to an all-Trip Credit system).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.