Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Old Mar 30, 2023, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
Methods to bypass flight credit restrictions (primarily being unable to use them on Basic Economy tickets)

Inspired by United thread wiki: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...redit-ffc.html
Print Wikipost

GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund

Old Jan 18, 2021, 11:39 am

Programs: Delta
Refund Denied

Flight schedule from DTW to PVR, with connection at DFW, was changed and resulted in a five and a half layover. Since I am over age 70 and didn't want the risk (Covid) associated with hanging around DFW that long, I requested a refund via customer service (email). It was denied because the schedule change didn't exceed 241 minutes. I was given the standard credit for a future flight but this has to be used by the end of the year. I am not planning on flying anywhere until 2022 and asked for an extension on the credit, which was also denied. Have others heard of the 241 minute schedule change policy...seems very arbitrary to me, especially given the Covid threat. I would never have booked an itinerary that included a five and a half hour layover. Any thoughts on how to appeal this would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EP
Unfortunately AA can be very strict on the 241 minute rule. Since it is international, did the aircraft change by any chance? That could be the basis for a refund. I would read the INTERNATIONAL (not domestic) contract of carriage so see if you fit into any loophole. And I am not 100% convinced that a cxld flight on an international itinerary isnt a basis for a refund. But double check the iNTERNATIONAL contract rules.

Originally Posted by Sylvanlaker
Flight schedule from DTW to PVR, with connection at DFW, was changed and resulted in a five and a half layover. Since I am over age 70 and didn't want the risk (Covid) associated with hanging around DFW that long, I requested a refund via customer service (email). It was denied because the schedule change didn't exceed 241 minutes. I was given the standard credit for a future flight but this has to be used by the end of the year. I am not planning on flying anywhere until 2022 and asked for an extension on the credit, which was also denied. Have others heard of the 241 minute schedule change policy...seems very arbitrary to me, especially given the Covid threat. I would never have booked an itinerary that included a five and a half hour layover. Any thoughts on how to appeal this would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 11:55 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
The +4 hour (or 241 minutes) rule for refunds when your flight times have changed is right in the Contract of Carriage.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...f-carriage.jsp

Non-refundable tickets

We don't refund cash for non-refundable tickets. But if you cancel your trip before departure, you can use the value of your ticket toward future travel on American. You'll need to rebook and travel within 1 year and pay a change fee plus any difference in fare.

We will refund a non-refundable ticket (or the value of the unused segment of your trip) to the original form of payment if:
  • You cancel within 24 hours of booking (and booked at least 2 days before departure).
  • We cancel your flight
  • We make a schedule change that results in a change of more than 4 hours to your departure time
  • A passenger or their travel companion dies. (Supporting paperwork is required)
  • Military orders require you to cancel your trip. (Supporting paperwork is required)
Old Jan 18, 2021, 11:56 am

Programs: AA EP
Unfortunately AA can be very strict on the 241 minute rule. Since it is international, did the aircraft change by any chance? That could be the basis for a refund. I would also read the INTERNATIONAL (not domestic) contract of carriage so see if you fit into any loophole. And I am not 100% convinced that a cxld flight on an international itinerary isnt a basis for a refund. But double check the iNTERNATIONAL contract rules.

Old Jan 18, 2021, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
It sounds like you just emailed customer relations as opposed to actually requesting a refund through prefunds.aa.com?

Like a lot of things AA related this is a situation where it's better to call, a friendly agent would most likely have no problem issuing a refund as opposed to a flight credit in spite of the 241 minute rule. At the very least they could have explained your options before issuing a flight credit.

Unfortunately now that a flight credit has already been issued, I'm guessing it's going to be very hard to get that reversed and a full refund issued.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
It sounds like you just emailed customer relations as opposed to actually requesting a refund through prefunds.aa.com?

Like a lot of things AA related this is a situation where it's better to call, a friendly agent would most likely have no problem issuing a refund as opposed to a flight credit in spite of the 241 minute rule. At the very least they could have explained your options before issuing a flight credit.

Unfortunately now that a flight credit has already been issued, I'm guessing it's going to be very hard to get that reversed and a full refund issued.
I originally did call AA and spoke with an agent who cancelled the flight for me and said she would send the refund request to the appropriate department, as she couldn't grant a refund herself. Her opinion was that it would be approved. It was only after discovering online that it had been rejected that I contacted customer service and couldn't get anywhere with the rep who handled my appeal.
BTW, the DTW-DFW segment did involve a change of aircraft and seat assignment. I didn't mention that in appealing, as I thought the key issue was the additional layover time, not the aircraft change.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 12:55 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
IMO. Your luck is about the same from just canceling it yourself and submitting it to prefunds online.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
How is the rule "We make a change of more than 4 hours to your departure time" interpreted? For either a departure or a connection? If you are traveling AAA-BBB dp 1000 ar 1200 BBB-CCC dp 1300 ar 1500, and then change the connection to lv 2000 ar 2200, they haven't changed your original departure.

Regarding the OP, is it possible that they cancelled the connecting flight, and that would be justification for a refund?
Old Jan 18, 2021, 1:02 pm

No, the DFW-PVR segment remained the same. They only change was to my DTW-DFW departure, making it three hours earlier, and that resulted in the five and a half hour layover at DFW.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 1:19 pm

Programs: KLM and AA
Flight schedule from DTW to PVR, with connection at DFW, was changed and resulted in a five and a half layover.
this would be 330 minutes. How did they figure it was less than 241?
Old Jan 18, 2021, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Isnt it that what matters is the schedule change and not what the total layover time now is (provided the layover doesnt create an overnight)?
Old Jan 18, 2021, 1:25 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
Originally Posted by HCruiseMike
Probably a scheduled layover of 1.5+ hours which would not add 241+ minutes.
seawolf likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
You would also have to consider the length of the original layover.
seawolf likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 1:27 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Um.....
They only change was to my DTW-DFW departure, making it three hours earlier, and that resulted in the five and a half hour layover at DFW.
Old Jan 18, 2021, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Did the flight number on the departing flight change?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.